Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

• 2 weeks later...
So, my mother in law died last week, early Monday morning, to be specific.  Sad, but expected.  She was 80.  Much beloved.   I was in Puerto Rico for the funeral and just got back in last night, late.  But right before she died, I had done some artwork for commissions, the two superhero pieces.  

Happy accident time!  I totally had a dyslexic moment and the Honey Badger commission called for a male.  But in my brain, I thought I had read female and I drew Honey Badger as a woman villain. (It was the term "Honey" that threw me, so sexist of me).  The patron really liked it and didn't take me up on my offer to redraw her as a man after I found out my mistake.

I also really like the Cloud concept.  He is a shapechanging, digital entity who resides in the Cloud.  That is a scary concept, guess you have to lure him out to like rural-off-the-grid New Mexico or Canada in order to truly defeat him.  Good luck with that y'all.   

And I fooled around on a painted piece after watching Steve Prescott's painting video with heavy body acrylics.  After pestering Steve and asking a few questions about heavy body acrylics, which I had never used, I went and got a couple of tubes (burnt sienna, white, black).  I had doodled that drawing in my toned color sketch book and despite it being fairly thin paper, I went to town with the acrylics.  

The underpainting is the heavy body acrylic, but the color work was done with some guoache I had lying around.  Bottom line;  I really like the Liquitex heavy body acrylics, they stay wet a nice long time.  Easier to blend and mix.  So thanks Steve!

Honey%20Badger%20F_zps0gndh7uu.jpg

Cloud%20F72_zps7rsf7swl.jpg

Sorceress%20casting%20F%2072_zpshpfspeir

Steriaca... I have never seen Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I have no idea what a STand is.

Stands start in the third part of the series, and are...well...lots of things. They seem to be physical manifications of spiritual slash psychic abilities. Generally speaking, only Stands can harm other Stands, and only Stand Users can see Stands (with exceptions...Stands which are imbodied inside objects can be seen by everyone and can be harmed when the object is harmed). One thing is, if the Stand is harmed, usually the Stand User is also harmed (except for Stands inbeded into objects).

Why did I bring it up? Because they tend to look freaky. They can make for intrinstung looking villains and heros.

Heh.  Love the female Honey Badger.  I'll have to introduce her into my campaign.  One of the PCs is Honey Badger, and early in the game he was taunted by an incorporeal being whispering "Sweet Beaver".  The player thought that meant there was a female named Sweet Beaver and got all excited, only to learn the being was actually taunting him by intentionally getting his name wrong. 

So, my mother in law died last week, early Monday morning, to be specific.  Sad, but expected.  She was 80.  Much beloved.   I was in Puerto Rico for the funeral and just got back in last night, late.  But right before she died, I had done some artwork for commissions, the two superhero pieces. 

Also, my condolences to you and your wife.  I hope some great stories were shared about your mother-in-law at the funeral.

Sorry for the late "my sympathy" post Storn, but my sympathy. Valentine's Day is never the same since my own mother passed from a stroke about three years ago. (Why? Cause her birthday was on Valentine's Day. I could never forget my mother's birthday even if I try. But enough about me.)

Let me tell you about my character.... I hope y'all don't dread those words.  At least this time, this character concept comes with a picture!

In my Thursday night role playing game, we are just starting out with Unknown Worlds, a Apocalypse Engine game ( like Dungeon World) but the genre is science fiction.  Pete, our GM, had been reading the Expanse books and is now watching the show and it is a big influence on our game.

So, set in our solar system, no Faster than Light, no Artificial Gravity.  Earth has a lot of rocks dropped on it by Mars 5 years ago and it is a Mad Max sort of place.  Luna has become the banking Switzerland of the solar system after Earth "fell".  Mars is a techno marvel, terraforming happening at an amazing place, one can walk outside without breathing equipment for short periods.  

My character, Tremaine "Trey" Sinclair, is from Europa.  Europa colonies are in the buried oceans under the ice, and are heavily into the bio-sciences, including gene splicing and manipulation.  Trey is Homo Aquaticus, he is amphibian, can breath under water, notice the gills and webbed, large hands in the picture.  He is a pilot (both submarine and starship) and yearned to see the outside world.  Left Europa to explore the "other" oceans (both stars and Earth's own oceans).  He is the pilot of the "Flying Fin" which was a museum on Earth as it was one of the first Europa probe ships (both starship and submersible), recently salvaged from the Atlantic off of Africa, by a Luna corporation with the Trey and the other characters help.  

It is a really interesting game as Unknown Worlds really lends itself to easy character creation with totally interesting results.  The world building we are doing is awesome!  I look forward to next week quite a bit!

Trey%2072_zpsspj53tbl.jpg

A fun private commission that I got to do.  A Star Wars character, ex-imperial scout/sniper.   I don't have a ton to say about it, although it was a totally digital creation.  Usually I do a pencil sketch, but this time I wanted to work a bit more with my cintiq.  The initial scribbles where done on separate layers, along with some reference that patron gave me.  I did this at work during lunch over a few days.  The camo texture was provided by the patron.  

Alis%20F72_zpsqnnnzq4x.jpg

A fun private commission that I got to do.  A Star Wars character, ex-imperial scout/sniper.   I don't have a ton to say about it, although it was a totally digital creation.  Usually I do a pencil sketch, but this time I wanted to work a bit more with my cintiq.  The initial scribbles where done on separate layers, along with some reference that patron gave me.  I did this at work during lunch over a few days.  The camo texture was provided by the patron.  

Looks nice!  ;-)  

Based on the skin color and the eyes, I presume this ex-trooper is of the same alien race as Grand Admiral Thrawn?  

Franklin

Looks nice!  ;-)  

Based on the skin color and the eyes, I presume this ex-trooper is of the same alien race as Grand Admiral Thrawn?  

Franklin

Your guess is as good as mine... but that would track.  I didn't get specs on the race/culture, just some reference with that blue skin color.  

Storn, I have some questions about your work, if you don't mind. From your website (URL from your signature), I see that a "basic" work (one figure, no background) is $70. About how many hours does this usually take you? I'm just wondering what your per-hour rate would calculate as (again, if this isn't too personal). I read the blogs of a few other artists, and try to get a "feel" for their respective price ranges.) 

I've always liked your work, and I certainly hope you're able to support yourself by doing what you enjoy. Do you get enough work or commissions to go full-time? And, do you ever work at conventions? (If so, which ones?)  

Thanks!  ;-)  

Franklin