Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

*grumble grumble*

A couple days ago, I just designed a costume that looks extremely similar to that. The waist almost exactly and the upper body/sleeves pretty close (I had a few more darts in there). I'll scan it, you'd be amazed at how close it is...

Get outta may hayud!

Interesting technique. I had a teacher who worked in similar fashion using rabit skin glue.

So after you've sealed in your pencils with the clear gesso, it looks as if you've applied the paint in a very liquid form, almost like watercolors? I'll have to give that a try.

Rob Young's Kid Cobalt

...or is that Kobalt Kid? I can't remember the right way. Anyway, this is a private commission from Rob Young for one of his M&M characters. A slightly retro look and a more traditional color technique than the last grayscale experiment.

Hope y'all like.

Very nice artwork. I agree with some of the other posters in that I'm not a huge fan of the watercolor look, but I do like the sketchy relaxed feel of the original piece. I really like the "Cobalt" drawing. Very sharp.

I also *really* liked the adventure descriptions. I haven't run across a story hour-type board here, and that seems like something that a role playing community can always use. Anyways, I bookmarked the Green Ronin thread so I can keep up with what's going on! Hopefully you'll keep finding time to update it! :)

Originally posted by Acroyear

Here's that design I did a few days ago. It's just ballpoint pen as I was sketching out costume ideas. I'm sure you'll see the amazing resemblence :)

That is funny Acro. There are no new ideas.

My sketch, the pencils were sitting around for two weeks. So, maybe we were channeling the same idea. What is kinda ironic, is that sketch is useless for my character concept... I moved away from that visual idea as I built the character... but my GM asked me to throw a cape on it quickly and would be perfect for an NPC.

And on Cobalt there, yeah, the Kirby homage was deliberate. Rob's request is that Cobalt is a silver age-looking type and Kirby was the word he used too. So... I guess I do know Jack.

It is my great pleasure...

... to have gamed with Storn for many years. He is always doodling at the games, and comes up with fun sketches, or photo copies of other pictures that I can use to enhance my games.

I'm very lucky, that way.

These days, I can get by in other games without character images... but Champions is so visual, and I've benefited from Storn's art for so long, I find it tough to run games withOUT character drawings, anymore.

Love the Kirby-esque dude, Storn. One more image to flesh out our 100 member UNITE team, eh? :)

This is another commission. I didn't feel like opening a thread in Star Hero, where this image belongs. Just seemed better not to have over-proliferation of Storn threads.

Yup, another watercolor like one. Obviously a character in a sci fi game that should be obvious when you open the link.

The character is Bob Fletchers... to give credit where credit is due.

I think that the watercolor look really works well for this one. I think that where I start to run in to problems with watercolor is when I see a piece where the subject is cartoony and I would expect bright primary colors, but the colors are a little dim and the edges not as sharp as I tend to like. The subject here is a bit more muted than most four-color supers, and the edges are well-defined in all the right places.

That reminds me, I really like the cover to Dark Champions (the old one; haven't seen the new one), and the character firing two guns while diving around the piano from FREd. Those are probably two of my favorite gaming pieces of artwork. Very nice stuff.

Tetsuyama, I did not do the cover to Dark Champions. A famous (but not so famous, that I remember his name) video game artist did it. He did a lot of console art for coin-op video games.

But thanks on the shoot-out at the piano. That was kind a visual in-joke for my good friend Rick, who plays piano. Shooting up a keyboard seemed like great fun at the time. What silly places ideas come from!?!?!?!

Originally posted by Storn

Gee. Thanks for telling me.

Well, after saying I didn't care for the watercolor style previously and then liking this piece, I felt it fair to point out that perhaps my initial comments were not due to the "style" but rather the color pallet and I was unable to recognize that previously.

Am I reading too much defensiveness into your responses (problem with the text medium)? Seems like you don't really want feedback discussion and I find myself feeling like I somehow have to justify my comments.

Originally posted by Acroyear

Am I reading too much defensiveness into your responses (problem with the text medium)? Seems like you don't really want feedback discussion and I find myself feeling like I somehow have to justify my comments.

Not defensive.

Annoyed.

You've already have made it abundently clear that you don't care for the earlier sketchy pics. So why bring it up again?

And the statement "maybe its the blue-green pallet I don't care for..." is just a stupid statement, considering that is ALL Kid Cobalt is (which you stated you did like) and your own freakin' avatar!

Listen, this stuff is not for print.. although I feel that some of it is good enough to print. Its just for me fooling around with various techniques, illustrating some characters in my games. I'm sharing it with y''all so you might get some use out of it.

The comments I was hoping to get was "hey, this is useful." or "gee, sketchy qualities CAN work for some sub-genres of superheroes", maybe stumble around some techniques... heck, costume design like yourself posted.... not to get detailed analysis of, dare I say it? SKETCHES!!!

It is my fault, I admit. I didn't make clear what kind of comments I was expecting.

However, everyone can feel free to critique my art. I just hold the right to feel annoyed when it seems petty to me. Trust me, I've taken much stronger critiques of my art than anyone has dished out here. I know what a good critique is. And I know how to take my medicine.

But I really can't give a damn that you don't like my blue-green palette. I just can't take a statement like that seriously. Its like saying, because you drew a figure in your sketch book with legs too short, that you suck because I don't like the way you draw legs. If I have an issue with the way you draw legs, I would point out; "hey, measure that leg from the knee down... it seems wonky in its length"... or something. I wouldn't say; "hey prismacolors suck for superheroes and I don't like your style because of your short legs." See the difference?

Originally posted by Tetsuyama

D'oh! I could have sworn that you were listed in the art credits as one of two artists for the cover for Dark Champions. I'm gonna have to blame my apparent memory problems on the diet pop, since I'm not naturally fallible. ;)

Y'know, now that you mentioned it. I think I did get erroneious credit for Dark Champions... the cover was based on a drawing I did... but I did not do the cover.