Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

If'n its Waterdeep Vice, he needs to be in pastels. :D

Looks good. And I could easily fit the Paladin into a Supers campaign. The other guy would be only moderately easy.

For a moment, he was in pastels.. but I deepened the blue because it just didn't sit on the pencils the way I wanted.

A commission piece from one of my own players for his own character. She is a dragon who takes elven form and is a weather witch... that is a lot of concepts to jam into one image... but I think I might have worked it out okay.

Oil. 11x18

EllerialloRes.jpg

A slightly different commission request this time. This is for 1st-place award in the Liberty Hall Writers 2005 End-of-Year Competition. The winner is "Jeraliey". Her story is titled "Little Pieces, Little Ways".

I had to read the story, take a look at an awesome "character sheet"... not a RPG character sheet, but a fiction oriented sheet that I might just steal to help folks out when commissioning work. Then go to work.

Liberty Hall seems like a neat place for writers. I cannot link you directly to the story due to it being up only for publishers to look at and othe NDA concerns. But if you are a budding writer, I urge you to check out what Liberty Hall is doing. Seems kinda like the Freelancers section at RPGnet, except really geared for writers instead of artists.

http://www.libertyhallwriters.org/

SteveLapisloRes.jpg

Hey Boddie, yeah, that guy does have a ghostbusters vibe... i think it is the tan union suit.

Anyway, moving onto more commissions. Here is Torque for DW. A look that had the client using one of my own characters as a placeholder. So if y'all see some similarities... well, that is entirely purposeful.

Torque2loRes.jpg

Spiffy...eyes/goggles are a little weird though.

Precisely. And I like 'em a lot. They are staying.

Continuing on with "moody" blue color schemes, a recent trend for me. This is for RL, a 7th Sea character with gothic, germanic, batman tendencies.

The underpainting was black goauche, the color was done in photoshop.

WachterloRes.jpg

Since I'm no where close to being an artist or understanding its intricacies' date=' what is underpainting, and what does it do? Also, do you do the underpainting in PS as well?[/quote']

Underpainting is where you first paint your figure (or whatever) in different colour to the intended colour, then paint over in the final colour (so it's under(neath) painting). It does various nice things to the final result, apparently.

Underpainting is where you first paint your figure (or whatever) in different colour to the intended colour' date=' then paint over in the final colour (so it's under(neath) painting). It does various nice things to the final result, apparently.[/quote']

:lol: Thanks. I sort of got that part. :lol: It is the reason and "nice things" that I'm interested in.

The main reason for the question is because I've been doing some PS work as of late and was wondering if underpainting was something I should look into.

:lol: Thanks. I sort of got that part. :lol: It is the reason and "nice things" that I'm interested in.

The main reason for the question is because I've been doing some PS work as of late and was wondering if underpainting was something I should look into.

I penciled the art on illustration board. Then I painted it with gouache (watercolor with a binder in it so one can use it opaquely... although,most of my work on this particular work was done in layers of watered down pigment).

Then I scanned it in. I set the original layer to "multiply" and then I had floating several layers (background rain, foreground rain, highlights, nightsky (also set to multiply).. and went to town.

All of my photoshop brushes are usually set up to anywhere from 30 to 8o percent....so lots of more layering is created... i like those happy accidents.

Did some sketches during the Necessary Evil game last week. Got 'em colored. I had to redo my own character, because the good Doc's mission was to go to Atlantis to tap into the Geo Well (NE spoilers to come....)

Well, this outfit, is not conducive to swimming around... despite Mr. Shoal's Atlantean Hybrid origin. Y'all might remember this outfit.

Mr.jpg

So I MADE Dr. Destruction MAKE my character take on a more conducive superhero outfit. Good excuse to get into the spandex!!! And here is the new, imporved? Lucas Shoal...

shoal2loRes.jpg

NE Spoiler.

Now, the GM introduced Dejanelle (sp?) A fire manipulator and oracle. Who's job was to mystically channel the Geo well to knock out a V'sori battle cruiser in orbit. She really struck me as Shoal's opposite. Both are Atlantean Hybrids, he's an albino, she is more normal looking, he is water and ice, she is fire. When I asked if there was a picture of her (knowing that I had NOT done one for the publication... but I didn' do all the artwork for NE.), I was told no. Well, if I get sufficiently intrigued... a doodle is sure to come.

Now, it is obvious that Dejanelle was a sacrificial lamb. But due to unselfish and heroic nature of our own Cannonball, who sacrificed his life, there is a decent chance that Dejanelle might come back. Hope so. She's got a picture now.

DejanelleloRes.jpg

I penciled the art on illustration board. Then I painted it with gouache (watercolor with a binder in it so one can use it opaquely... although,most of my work on this particular work was done in layers of watered down pigment).

Then I scanned it in. I set the original layer to "multiply" and then I had floating several layers (background rain, foreground rain, highlights, nightsky (also set to multiply).. and went to town.

All of my photoshop brushes are usually set up to anywhere from 30 to 8o percent....so lots of more layering is created... i like those happy accidents.

So if I understand what you are saying is that the underpainting creates a sort of "show through" color that appears on all layers as you do your PS work. Is that correct?

Thanks for the info Storn. I'm always intrigued by how you do your work and what it involves.

So I MADE Dr. Destruction MAKE my character take on a more conducive superhero outfit. Good excuse to get into the spandex!!! And here is the new' date=' imporved? Lucas Shoal...[/quote']

Is it me, or did his nose change?

So if I understand what you are saying is that the underpainting creates a sort of "show through" color that appears on all layers as you do your PS work. Is that correct?

Thanks for the info Storn. I'm always intrigued by how you do your work and what it involves.

Exactumundo!

This is not a new technique. This is in every Leonardo, Michelangelo, Titian, Carravagio you can think of. Xray technology can actually sift out the underpaintings of those masters. Usually they were in a Burnt Sieanna... but any monochromatic color can be used. I happened to use black, because I wanted that overbearing gothic feel and texture for teh Wachter.

I just use digital as a new wrinkle (and I'm not the only one, an artist friend of mine pointed out that she thought she read that Lockwood uses a very similar technique.)

So do you stick with multipy for all your layers and a less than 100% opacity for all your brushes unless it is a SFX?

Most of my layers are multiply. I usually have one layer on top that is my highlight layer. That is set to normal. While I still might keep my brushes less than 100%, this is where I might place a mark of color to cover up something... like a stray pencil line that I don't care for. Or that really bright highlight gleaming off of a rivet... then I might even do that at 100%.

Like in the painting, the rain rivulets are done on a normal layer, with brush and pencil set at probably 75%... that layer sat above all the others, but below the foreground rain layer. Does that make sense?