Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

FYI - I just sent in my description for my universe's megavillain 'Negathos', a Darkseid/Thanos-like character, so he should be appearing sometime down the road. :thumbup:

Following that I'll probably submit one of my main heroes 'Sunwarden' or...gasp...I might even submit my ex-namesake (and very first character) the one and only 'Starlord'.

So far Ive been very favorably impressed with everything ive seen you do, Storn.

What Id like to know, if I may ask, is how the heck you get your line quality so crisp?

I draw mostly on computer or typing paper (8.5 x 11), in number 2 pencil, which I then ink with a .5 or 1.0 technical pen. I just -cant- seem to get the line flow and contrast between ink and page that you do.

Your coloring is also light-years ahead of mine, but I attribute that you...um...well..you being a better colorist, actually.

Here's a sample of my work so you know what it looks like (warning: this is a big picture)

So far Ive been very favorably impressed with everything ive seen you do, Storn.

What Id like to know, if I may ask, is how the heck you get your line quality so crisp?

I draw mostly on computer or typing paper (8.5 x 11), in number 2 pencil, which I then ink with a .5 or 1.0 technical pen. I just -cant- seem to get the line flow and contrast between ink and page that you do.

Your coloring is also light-years ahead of mine, but I attribute that you...um...well..you being a better colorist, actually.

Here's a sample of my work so you know what it looks like (warning: this is a big picture)

I'm sure Storn will come in with all the juicy inking facts, but having watched him grow and change as an artist for the past 14 years that I've known him... the inking bit comes down to one thing... "Brush work." Doesn't use a pen. He struggled mightily in the '90s to find his inking style, and eventually mastered the brush. It was a quantum leap in the quality of his art, but boy was he frustrated for a few years before it clicked with him. He's only gotten better since then... that's for sure.

I'm sure he'll jump in here soon and give you the details... but I thought I'd just leave a note.

Hey input jack, thank you for your kind words.

RDU neil is right, boy howdy did I struggle with inking. But I use a brush for *most* of my inking. I ink on everything from vellum, to bristol to illustrationboard, illo board being my favorite, but I only use it for big projects like the hidden lands cover.

For most of these commissions, I use bristol that comes for inkjets. It isn't the greatest quality, but it is fair.

Certianly works for pumping out tons of sinlge figure illos.

The commission below I did use a tech pen to do some of the tech "bits" simply for control. But the long lines were used with a brush and Black Magic ink (higgens, I think). I use Winter Harvest Kolinsky #2 brush. It is not as expensive as the famed Winsor Newton Series 7, but it is a better brush in my experience (I've gone through about 5 W&Ns.).

Gary Martin's "The Art of Comic Book Inking" is the book I wish I had when I started. It is awesome. It has diagrams for using a brush. It took me years to figure out I had more control if I held my brush like a calligrapher. duh. The book diagrams that quite nicely.

Think about line weight. That is the key. And it should be thought of in the pencil stages. Think about outside lines being thicker... or things close up... are thicker lined. Think about breaking that rule, when can a black shape in the background make the foreground move up...

Anyway, here is a Death Tribble request:

StratosphericloRes.jpg

uh... I goofed. I call DT's commission Stratospheric. Y'all can call it whatever you like. .

And if he was going Mach 1 or 2, his face would peel off. I always meant to put in a face shield and just forgot. So, this morning, viola, face shield!

For your comparing pleasure; Stratospheric II.

StratosphericIIloRes.jpg

The new request went out today. Something a little more challenging.

those familiar with some of my requested work will know I go for the bizarre on occasions. This is such an example. Storn will probably tell RDU Neil first. And after the latter has had a fit of giggles about the prospect, Storn will have to decide just how do I draw this ?

Stay tuned in February for the answer to this conumdrum.

I seriously keep thinking about sending a commission or two Storn's way. Besides a detailed description of the character what else does he need to do the art? Does he take PayPal?

Kruggerrands. Storn only takes Kruggerrands.

Or a first born child. Depends on if he's had lunch yet.

Seriously, I would normally follow the link to his website but our office firewall blocks it due to "nudity."

Which makes me want to visit it all the more. ;)

I guess I have to wait unitl I get home.

There is barely anything suggestive, and certainly no nudity, on Storn's site.

If you go to the 'Commissions' section of his site, he explains the process for submitting commissions. He does take Paypal and there is a link for such right there on his sight. Make sure you give the 'title' or name of the commission if paying by Paypal or put on it on the check or money order you send, then send an email to his StornC address with the name of the commission in the title and then give your description.

One of your best pieces in a while' date=' Storn. A real shift in your "tech" look... and one I really like. Very nice.[/quote']

yeah, that one kinda rolled off the pencil. Although I must admit I pulled out my old Gundam concept art book to think of a way to do the jet back. The guns though, are all mine. Thanks for the kind words!

The new request went out today. Something a little more challenging.

those familiar with some of my requested work will know I go for the bizarre on occasions. This is such an example. Storn will probably tell RDU Neil first. And after the latter has had a fit of giggles about the prospect, Storn will have to decide just how do I draw this ?

Stay tuned in February for the answer to this conumdrum.

Challenging? Uh... no. Figuring out the angle to show power armor guy with jet pack is challenging. This upcoming one is just damn funny. Made me laugh when I read it. The image lept into my head before I finished reading the e-mail. So, challenging?... not really. Fun? Boy howdy! I'm really looking forward to doing this one.

...and yeah... this art probably won't get used in RDU. Although, Neil is doing RDU Alternate Universes now.... so ya never know.....

I seriously keep thinking about sending a commission or two Storn's way. Besides a detailed description of the character what else does he need to do the art? Does he take PayPal?

I do indeed take Paypal. I prefer it actually. One, it is an extra record. always a good thing. two. I don't have to go to the bank. This chain you guys collectively keep on my ankle, linked to the desk, is a *****. Trying to get the desk through the bank doors... its just embarrassing.

btw, thanks Jeff! Appreciate the fans looking out for me!!!

This upcoming one is just damn funny. Made me laugh when I read it. The image lept into my head before I finished reading the e-mail. So' date=' challenging?... not really. Fun? Boy howdy! I'm really looking forward to doing this one.[/quote']

Ts this going to be like the combat snail you did? Or the bear with a Tommy gun?

Susano, I ain't talkin. Ask Death Tribble.

anyhoo... movin' along on the commissions. Here is another Global Guardian Tarot member from JB. Its DEEEAAAATTTHHHH!

Not quite what ya expected... huh?

Nope. I think my Death looked like Patrick Stewart in a gray suit.