Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Speaking of odd-loooking compound bows, I have these two:

2k5_firestorm_Lite.jpg

ladyhawk-big.jpg

Oh thanks guys... not something simple like a longbow... nnooooooo, got to do all the damn pulleys and stufff (and now, do it in perspecitve!!!) Geez, the bow itself is so complicated it is almost its own commission! How about a invisible bowman? That would cut down on my time. Better yet, an invisible composite bow! {kidding}

Actually, any leg work other folks do for me as far as reference goes is always appreciated.

Yes, RT, got your e-mail, yes, changes are coming to both Snowfire and Battle Angel. Just had a bad day yesterday and was up to my eyeballs in a painting (which is coming out well, wasn't part of the bad day thang).

For an archer... ever consider one of those competition compound bows with all the balances' date=' arrow rack, and sight? All the comic archers seem to use longbows, but I think a compound bow would make so much more sense.[/quote']

Hawkeye from the Ultimates also uses one.

Oh thanks guys... not something simple like a longbow... nnooooooo, got to do all the damn pulleys and stufff (and now, do it in perspecitve!!!) Geez, the bow itself is so complicated it is almost its own commission! How about a invisible bowman? That would cut down on my time. Better yet, an invisible composite bow! {kidding}

That'll work! Just tell DT that your inner muse felt like making the hunter Qliphothic.

... Better yet' date=' an invisible composite bow! {kidding}[/quote']

There's a Liefeld character who had a bow, that Liefeld was apparently not skilled enough to draw a bowstring, so it was some gravity-field bow or something. A friend of mine showed me one of Liefeld's pics of it once.

Once. :mad:

So just step slowly away from the invisible Liefeld bow idea, Storn. We'll dispatch a bomb squad to dispose of that.

Anyway, are those composite bows with frickin' lasers on their heads?

Actually, any leg work other folks do for me as far as reference goes is always appreciated.

Well if we don't put you to the test how can you push the envelope of your ability ?

It is one of the reasons for my myriad and varied requests.

And thanks for the new version of the Battle Angel. The Halo is now on fire fopr those who don't know what it was I asked for as a change.

I like the name but this archer is part of an army of supervillains so the meta human assassin bit is a bit redundant for my purposes. Also the crossbow. Yes it is meaner, but I am British. We made the longbow the weapon of choice and of death to our enemies.

The compound bow with the sights and things, yes. That's what we will go for. Storn has done archers yes, but not supervillain ones.

Black masks are becoming common and several of his colleagues have an all black look so I need a different colour scheme for this guy.

Thanks to freakboy6117 and Susano for the input.

The main thing I think would be to ensure the trick arrows aren't harmless "boxing glove" or "fire extinguisher" arrows, but nasty, nasty looking things with serrated blades and spikes. Buzzsaw arrows. Dynamite arrows. Something that looks like a rocket on a stick. Something with a barbed corkscrew blade on the end that makes you not want to know what it does or where it's supposed to be targetted...

The main thing I think would be to ensure the trick arrows aren't harmless "boxing glove" or "fire extinguisher" arrows' date=' but nasty, nasty looking things with serrated blades and spikes. Buzzsaw arrows. Dynamite arrows. Something that looks like a rocket on a stick. Something with a barbed corkscrew blade on the end that makes you not want to know what it does or where it's supposed to be targetted...[/quote']

...something that looks like it came from your dentist's office.

...this bit is open to everyone else as well, I am looking for art ideas for a villainous archer, a sort of bad guy Hawkeye or Green Arrow...

...I do not have is a villainous archer based on the 'good' archer Sureshot. I don't have a name, a colour scheme or a particular theme...

What about Heartseeker or Heartsblood? Crève-coeur (heartbreak)?

His theme would be a play on the associations of "heart" with accuracy -- as in "striking the heart" -- and the "true love" connotations of "heart". The villain is a murderous Romantic.

Imagine a charming, gallant, brave and handsome swashbuckler-type who is utterly sociopathic, feeling no more qualms about killing a man than about crushing a moth. He's well-spoken, well-mannered, doesn't swear or curse and is considerate of women -- even when killing them with a well-placed arrow and a blown kiss.

His costume would be that of a classic highwayman à la the gallant Captain Hind or Dick Turpin, Cavalier finery featuring extravagant ruffles, polished buttons and hat with a plume...and, of course, the highwayman mask. "Stand and deliver" indeed!

Another possibility would be an "arrow" or "archer" theme, and names like Talon or Thorn (sharp objects suggesting a cruel arrow) or Clothyard (the 'cloth-yard shaft' arrow was historically used as a man-killer; it was long -- though probably not quite a full yard -- and fletched with cloth.) Yew is also a possible "archer" name; the English bows were traditionally made of wood from the yew tree.

His costume in the case of Talon or Thorn would be the instantly recognizable tunic, cloak and leggings of Robin Hood, right down to the little cocked cap with a quail feather in the brim...but instead of being the famous Lincoln green in color, this costume is dark scarlet, like old burgundy, and trimmed in black. The feather in the cap is a raven's feather.

If the villain's name is Clothyard or Yew, then his costume is that of an English archer from the time of the Hundred Year's War, in quilted coat, light leather armor and helm. The English archers at the battle of Agincourt used their yew bows to put clothyard shafts through the armored French knights -- and at range.

Image Comics Youngblood - Shaft

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/shaft.htm

I have to say that I bought issue 1 of Youngblood :idjit:

I can also say that I hated Rob Leifeld ever since.

That boy is paid ridiculous amounts of money by both DC and Marvel, and given flagship titles every couple of years.. why??

Do they not notice that he CANNOT DRAW WRISTS?????

HOW HARD ARE THEY TO DRAW!?!?!?!?? AAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!

Erm.. sorry.. I'm over it now.. I'll go look at Storn's stuff to sooth my brain after that.

What about Heartseeker or Heartsblood? Crève-coeur (heartbreak)?

His theme would be a play on the associations of "heart" with accuracy -- as in "striking the heart" -- and the "true love" connotations of "heart". The villain is a murderous Romantic.

His costume would be that of a classic highwayman à la the gallant Captain Hind or Dick Turpin, Cavalier finery featuring extravagant ruffles, polished buttons and hat with a plume...and, of course, the highwayman mask. "Stand and deliver" indeed!

snip .

That's been done a lot, visually. I mean, c'mon, it is Robin Hood as a villain. Green Arrow is a Robin Hood knockoff when you get down to it.

Here is my suggestion. An archer with NO arms.

yup. No arms.

He's got prosethetics.

Have you seen some of the people who jog on these springy prosthetics? Which, btw, are made of the same materials these days as bows. Its amazing.... graphite composites and the like... titanium.

Now. His arms are optimized for pulling a bow (maybe even spine, shoulder bracings, do the POV from behind). Some of the pulleys and what not can be built into the arm....

He literally is the bow. (not like the arm is a bow, it does attach, detach, he would have hand facsimiles).

...and how he lost his arms could be an interesting backstory motivator.