Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn, I'm looking forward to your designing the characters I sent you. I forgot that I had a forum ID here - the letter was sent on Lethe Press letterhead. I also stupidly forgot to send you character sheets, but I can email them to you.

Steve

Only if you think there is something pertinent in them. Visually pertinent that is. So. Up to you.

Now. Something a little different.

This was sketched from a bust at the Detroit Institute of Arts in probably 20 mins or so... not quite sure... I was having fun and babbling to another artist.

This is Giovanni Bandini Coismo, Grand Duke of Tuscany.

I had never seen this bust before, I go to the DIA probably 10x a year. But they have deep, deep basements and new stuff is always rotating up. I wish I could remember the painting's name that he was near.... for it is an amazing portrait of his wife and child and it is huge! It is always in their permanent collection... oh well.

DukeCoismo.jpg

I used to enjoy going to the DIA. My mom took me there at least once every couple months. Unfortunately, I was too young to really appreciate it. Very nice "sketch". Geez, I wish my sketches actually looked like humans...

• 2 weeks later...

Storn' date=' have you ever considered posting up just the finished, uncolored inks?[/quote']

Have I considered it? Yes.

For about 1 second.

I will not post line art for a variety of reasons.

NOt in any particular order.

1. I don't want to promote B&W artwork. There is more money for me in producing color work.

2. I want to be better at color. In order to be better at color, I have to do color.

3. I don't want to debate with everyone on if they can get a black and white version cheaper. If I offer something cheaper than what I already do, the majority of what I do will be that cheaper option.

4. I don't want to put out what is basically a template for other folks to color. And occasional modification of my pics is fine. An entire cottage industry, fergettaboutit.

5. Why have repeated images if at all possible? Just seems counterproductive.

6. Superheroes and fantasy, to me, are about color. sure, noir and horror can be great in b&w, as can Supers and fantasy. But Noir and horror have an intrinisic link to B&W, whereas Supers and fantasy have an intrinsic link to color. Why work against gestalt sensability of the genre?

Having said all that, if someone hires me to do B&W artwork (and pays the color price), I will be happy to put it up. But only then.

• 2 weeks later...

I definately like your stance on your work Storn.

I personally like Line Art, but you really need color for a Super Heroic feel of the characters you bring forth.

Now do my real question: Is there a more frontal/standard image of this character out there published or unpublished?

Now. Something a little different.

This is Giovanni Bandini Coismo, Grand Duke of Tuscany.

Storn! The shading on this is just wonderful. I love it.

Andy

PS: re: Color - I am in full agreement with you.

I personally like Line Art, but you really need color for a Super Heroic feel of the characters you bring forth.

Now do my real question: Is there a more frontal/standard image of this character out there published or unpublished?

Yes. But my website is down. I drew her maybe three more times. In Millennium City, she is visiting a memorial to the falling heroes. It is a low angle shot of her pushing back her goggles. One of my favs.

Hah, I've created her perfect mate!

(Well, at least he's another urban canyon flyer)

This thread sometimes goes for a couple of weeks without any new posts, depending on Storn's work schedule. Whenever I see inotifications for it I get all excited cuz that usually means new pic(s).

Except this time :(

Hehe! Thanks, Vanguard. It's awfully reassuring to know I'm not the only one.

Hehe! Thanks' date=' Vanguard. It's awfully reassuring to know I'm not the only one.[/quote']

I too like to see new art by Storn. But it had been quite a while since there was a post. I figured I'd ask a question that I would normally PM him on, and bump the thread.

But hey, someone did post a picture :)

En, I did respond to your link/article.

Folks, I'm sorry about the absence. I had two covers to put to bed, one of extremely tight deadline. The other I thought I had done, didn't like what I did and I'm in the process of repainting it because the deadline is a lot softer.

Then, this last weekend, I was layed out for two days with a headcold. I just didn't feel like doing diddly.

But I'm back in the studio, working away. Here are two commissions below the mag cover painting.

KAloRes.jpg

EntraploRes.jpg

CapCardiacloRes.jpg

stretching snake or mantis style martial artist? intreasting concept

Actually Stretch is based off Rubberbando Commando. I liked the idea of a stretching martial artist. When I saw Rubberbando Commando, I just didn't like the way the character was done; so I made up my own.