Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Not bad. If I may be a retentive critic for a moment? He isn't holding the arrow shaft correctly, the arrow is on the wrong side of the bow for the hand he is using, and the grip on the bow looks to small for the bow itself.

I would imagine this is because of the compositing of the photo with the drawing so I can't fault it, and since I really don't have any artistic talent I don't feel fully qualified to critic. However, I have used bows off and on for many years so I have that going for me. ;)

Not bad. If I may be a retentive critic for a moment? He isn't holding the arrow shaft correctly, the arrow is on the wrong side of the bow for the hand he is using, and the grip on the bow looks to small for the bow itself.

I would imagine this is because of the compositing of the photo with the drawing so I can't fault it, and since I really don't have any artistic talent I don't feel fully qualified to critic. However, I have used bows off and on for many years so I have that going for me. ;)

The grip i pulled off a photo of a compound bow being drawn... I didn't quite understand the grip, but there it was. And I simply mimicked what I saw.

The compound bow itself was made for a left handed firer as there is a groove and guide for the shaft... which DT asked me to make Killshot a lefty. So either the photo on the website was flipped or it is more research than I want to do for a commission.

The arrow is actually fired from the 'outside' of the bow. It is a common mistake many first timers make, and caused primarily by the movies and "cheap" bows I think.

Think about it this way. If you were to hold the bow parallel to the ground, how would you hold it, and where would the arrow need to be to stay on the bow?

The top of your hand would be on top and the bow underneath, and therefore the arrow would need to be "on top" of the bow.

Here are a few places to look at proper use of a bow and closeups:

http://www.frankpearson.com/

http://www.centenaryarchers.gil.com.au/the10.htm

http://hunter-ed.com/mi/course/ch5_nocking_an_arrow.htm

Also just as an aside, the handedness of the person doesn't dictate which hand is used to fire if they really know what they are doing. It is dictated by eye dominance. For most it is what you would expect, but for some it is not. For instance, I am right handed, but I fire all weapons left handed because my left eye is dominate and therefore my shots are more accurate.

I like the picture just fine, myself.

IMO a minor critique or question of style here and there isn't unexpected or unwarranted. A second lengthier follow-up post that essentially shows errors, mistakes, the critic's expert knowledge or simply reinforces the original unasked for critique, even after that critique has been addressed, is arrogant and rude. But that could just be me.

IMO a minor critique or question of style here and there isn't unexpected or unwarranted. A second lengthier follow-up post that essentially shows errors, mistakes, the critic's expert knowledge or simply reinforces the original unasked for critique, even after that critique has been addressed, is arrogant and rude. But that could just be me.

I don't wish to derail this wonderful and excellent thread, but I don't understand the heat your throwing my way. I am just trying to help, but if you want to be like everyone else on the 'net and assume that whenever someone is trying to be helpful they are being rude and arrogant that is certainly your right. Sorry if I offended you.

Note: I didn't say I was an expert. I did say that I have used a bow off and on for many years. I also stated that I liked it twice. Also, if you go back and read every post in this thread that I have made you'll see that I give lot's of kudos to Storn and recognize his superior talents, and have asked for his help many times, and thought that maybe for once I could return the favor.

Everytime I see that my hand twitches in sympathetic pain. I was the Chirurgeon (First Aid Attendant) at an SCA Event. I watched Noobie showing off and pull back the arrow past the bow and then some how fired it through his hand.

Fortunately I had my gear with me and we took him to the hospital.

Still gives me the willies just thinking about it.

QM

Quote others: "the arrow is placed wrong."

So? You know what I see? The archer is performing some sort of trick shot that requires twisting his body in a certain way and placing the arrow in an otherwise wrong position. I see the same thing when the pool table pros place the stick behind their bodies because the shot is at a better angle that way.

I drooled when I saw this archer. Thanks Storn (and Tribble)! It will definately be used soon in my campaign.

Richard

Y'know folks, I don't mind a critique. I think RP's critique was dead on. I was confused about what I was looking at... compound bows are confusing visually, I looked at a lot of pics... and I don't know what all those doo-hickeys do... or that the shaft is on the outside of the bow when pulled... what the hand position is.

So I don't mind being taught. Illustration is so much about giving the impression of being "real"... maybe real in a superheroic context... but its own reality. The more an artist knows, the more they can bring to bear on creating that coherent, inclusive reality in the pic.

So. It is totally cool with me if folks try to help me do that.

Here is Death Tribble's Killshot idea given some sorta visual life. which was spoken about here. Hope y'all enjoy.

Quick question, is this the first time you have blended a photograph into the finished product? I know you have used pics as inspiration before. I can't imagine trying to actually draw a compound bow. Anyway looks awesome. Just curious if this is an artistic leap/step for you.

-Grey

I don't wish to derail this wonderful and excellent thread' date=' but I don't understand the heat your throwing my way. I am just trying to help, but if you want to be like everyone else on the 'net and assume that whenever someone is trying to be helpful they are being rude and arrogant that is certainly your right. Sorry if I offended you.[/quote']

You didn't, and I apologize that I took your critique differently than intended. I started and ended my post with "in my opinion", and I have been known to be wrong, but I certainly didn't intend to "throw heat" your way. I thought the critique was excessive, but then again, I'm not an artist or published in any way (i.e. my perspective is somewhat limited in that regard). However, Storn has said he's fine with it, so please accept my apology. I'll know better in the future.

All he said was the arrow is placed wrong' date=' people. Gawd. :rolleyes:[/quote']

A useful contribution as always. :straight:

Right. He dared to speak against the Great and Powerful Storn.

BURN HIM!

BURN HIM!!

And that was just stupid and beneath someone for whom I usually have a great deal of respect (or so I thought). Don't confuse an incorrect assumption on my part for overzealousness. To paraphrase RPMiller, if you want to be like everyone else on the 'net and throw gasoline on a fire, be my guest.

According to the two posters above, it's okay for Storn to be critiqued, but I can't offer my opinion on the critique without being labeled a rabid fanboy (by implication, at least).

Thanks for the hypocrisy, boyos, and thanks for giving me a chance to apologize. :thumbup::rolleyes:

And that was just stupid and beneath someone for whom I usually have a great deal of respect (or so I thought). Don't confuse an incorrect assumption on my part for overzealousness. To paraphrase RPMiller, if you want to be like everyone else on the 'net and throw gasoline on a fire, be my guest.

According to the two posters above, it's okay for Storn to be critiqued, but I can't offer my opinion on the critique without being labeled a rabid fanboy (by implication, at least).

Thanks for the hypocrisy, boyos, and thanks for giving me a chance to apologize. :thumbup::rolleyes:

Apparently I need to add a sarcasm and/or humor tag next time I post something like that.

Either that or ask if you're made from wood and then weigh you against a duck to make sure.

In case I wasn't clear, that was a joke.

Apparently I need to add a sarcasm and/or humor tag next time I post something like that.

Either that or ask if you're made from wood and then weigh you against a duck to make sure.

In case I wasn't clear, that was a joke.

Then again, my apologies.

This is just a vicious circle that I'd just as soon break. Apologies to all. I'll withhold public opinions from now on.

You didn't, and I apologize that I took your critique differently than intended. I started and ended my post with "in my opinion", and I have been known to be wrong, but I certainly didn't intend to "throw heat" your way. I thought the critique was excessive, but then again, I'm not an artist or published in any way (i.e. my perspective is somewhat limited in that regard). However, Storn has said he's fine with it, so please accept my apology. I'll know better in the future.

A useful contribution as always. :straight:

Edited. You apologized in the above post. Let's move on.

Everytime I see that my hand twitches in sympathetic pain. I was the Chirurgeon (First Aid Attendant) at an SCA Event. I watched Noobie showing off and pull back the arrow past the bow and then some how fired it through his hand.

Fortunately I had my gear with me and we took him to the hospital.

Still gives me the willies just thinking about it.

QM

Wow... High School PE flashbacks. We were doing a 4 wk Archery course & some knucklehead was screwing around and pulled back too far, causing the head to slip down right before firing. He ended up putting the arrow about halfway through the lowest joint on his grip thumb (right where the metacarpal joins to the phalange, if my anatomy memory is correct.) It was pretty horrible, obviously.

Well... before I derail this into "Storn's Art & Character & Horrifying Archery Stories Thread," Cool pic, flashbacks or no. :) As a BIG Ollie Queen fan, I firmly believe one can never have too many superarcher images. :thumbup:

Wow... High School PE flashbacks. We were doing a 4 wk Archery course & some knucklehead was screwing around and pulled back too far, causing the head to slip down right before firing. He ended up putting the arrow about halfway through the lowest joint on his grip thumb (right where the metacarpal joins to the phalange, if my anatomy memory is correct.) It was pretty horrible, obviously.

Well... before I derail this into "Storn's Art & Character & Horrifying Archery Stories Thread," Cool pic, flashbacks or no. :) As a BIG Ollie Queen fan, I firmly believe one can never have too many superarcher images. :thumbup:

My mom shot her archery instructor.