Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Yeah. She doesn't stick to the namby pamby "only kick waist high or lower" approach. :D

And I just have chills that the cover artist of the 5th NH and both UMA's has done art for my martial artist. :)

So L.H. is that head shot going into your rotating avatar?

I was told to do a stun rod. Since the clothes and gun were modern... I decided to do the stun rod as kinda arcane and archaic looking as opposed to a police stun baton...but same size.

I picked up on the stun gun/cattle prod look quite easily. :thumbup:

So L.H. is that head shot going into your rotating avatar?

Yeah, when I find someone that can make it for me. Last time I tried to do the rotating avatar myself all the colors got all wierded out. Dunno why, so I need someone with better software than I have to do if for me. :)

I keep meaning to download GIMP but I still keep never getting around to doing it.

Oh, and one thing I had to comment on publically.

As a martial artist, it is really annoying when you see a character in bad form, or drawn anatomically impossible.

The sidekick for BC was in perfect form, and her arms were doing a solid block for a high side kick. I was very impressed.

The only other time I saw a martial artist drawn so well for a comic medium was in the Crossgen mini White Ghost (IIRC) a spinoff from Way of the Rat. One issue they had the character doing three kicks in a row, that were all drawn correctly, and mades sense as a combinations (I was inspired and used in sparring that week).

So extra kudos to Storn for getting it right, when so many others don't. :)

Thanks LM, I pride myself on doing research... and dabble enough in martial arts to be a better artist for it... although, i'm fairly pathetic as a martial artist. Having to do the research for two UMAs doesn't hurt either.

Okay, moving on..

I've got two announcements.

One: I have a table at Gencon, booth #4 in the Art Show. I'll have plenty of originals for sale, as well as some prints and various promo material. C'mon by!

Two: The latest Catspaw, the fantasy webcomic, page is up! Chapter 2, page 2 is the latest. We had some technical difficulties yesterday and we apologize for it.

Catspaw: http://www.swordandsorcery.org/

So extra kudos to Storn for getting it right, when so many others don't. :)

While I was a bit into Martial Arts, I was into Akido we barely lifted our feet let alone get them over our waist, I find this comment funny.

I'm not really knowledgeable about high kicking martial arts so in a comic (or other medium) if what is shown isn't realistic it doesn't bother me, I just want it to look neat. Now I'm in the Navy (and used to work on the flight deck of aircraft carriers), so I can't watch movies like Top Gun because of all the silly stuff they show (like the bald guy that sends Mav to Top Gun, on a real ship he'd be four different people: Commanding Officer of the Ship, Commanding Officer of the Airwing, Squadron CO, and Air Boss [a department head on the ship]).

One: I have a table at Gencon' date=' booth #4 in the Art Show. I'll have plenty of originals for sale, as well as some prints and various promo material. C'mon by![/quote']

I am now so bringing my copy of Ninja Hero for you to sign!

Hey! Storn, maybe we can double team people! Bring your NH, get it signed by the author and cover artist.

And since I'm your agent, I get 10%!

While I was a bit into Martial Arts, I was into Akido we barely lifted our feet let alone get them over our waist, I find this comment funny.

I'm not really knowledgeable about high kicking martial arts so in a comic (or other medium) if what is shown isn't realistic it doesn't bother me, I just want it to look neat. Now I'm in the Navy (and used to work on the flight deck of aircraft carriers), so I can't watch movies like Top Gun because of all the silly stuff they show (like the bald guy that sends Mav to Top Gun, on a real ship he'd be four different people: Commanding Officer of the Ship, Commanding Officer of the Airwing, Squadron CO, and Air Boss [a department head on the ship]).

It's all in what you know. Aikido is cool, I took some of that for a while too. :)

Hey! Storn, maybe we can double team people! Bring your NH, get it signed by the author and cover artist.

*sigh* I wishe I was going. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

I'm not really knowledgeable about high kicking martial arts so in a comic (or other medium) if what is shown isn't realistic it doesn't bother me' date=' I just want it to look neat. Now I'm in the Navy (and used to work on the flight deck of aircraft carriers), so I can't watch movies like Top Gun because of all the silly stuff they show (like the bald guy that sends Mav to Top Gun, on a real ship he'd be four different people: Commanding Officer of the Ship, Commanding Officer of the Airwing, Squadron CO, and Air Boss [a department head on the ship']).

I get this way with many period movies. Usually over the armor people wear and how... bad it looks or is. Funny thing, 13th Warrior didn't bother me, but then, the armor looked good enough, and since it was a "fantasy" film, I didn't mind the fact it was from about time periods about 1,000 years apart. The swords, on the other hand....

Sure!

As for the 10%... I dont charge for autographs... so you'll get 10% of nuthin.... sorry m'man.

onto some art...

Here is LC's Philly Flier loving super...

PowerplayloRes.jpg

From what I've seen Storn is one of the few artists who have researched martial movements at all. His Cat's Paw comic is actually a good example of that.

Amongst the many comics that have portrayed martial arts, very few show anything outside of your basic TKD/Karate/Judo movements and often poorly. Having spent half my life (16 years) studying and teaching martial arts its nice to see someone bother with a few techniques from less popular styles.

As far as high kicks go, it's like anything else: when the tool fits, use it. I have personally seen a fellow who was so good with his feet that he could use the classic TKD hurricane kick to bat aside a punch with the lead leg and kick a person with the follow leg. That's the classical example that not many can actually use!

But returning to Storn... I always appreciate that he presents characters doing interesting things in a anatomically correct style that is so uncommon in comics. It makes the Liefelds of the industry look like the morons they are...

From what I've seen Storn is one of the few artists who have researched martial movements at all. His Cat's Paw comic is actually a good example of that.

But returning to Storn... I always appreciate that he presents characters doing interesting things in a anatomically correct style that is so uncommon in comics. It makes the Liefelds of the industry look like the morons they are...

I'm thrilled that it is appreciated. Catspaw is still on the side of almost incredible, wuxia like demonstration and proportions. Not Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Hero scale... but definitely along the lines of scale as Ong Bok or Fist of Legend... fantastic and amazing... but not superheroic. Wait til you see her backflip in her tiny bedroom. I realize that, gritty it aint...heroic fantastic it is.

Cool!

As your agent, I think we need to work on that. :D

If you can make me money, dude... I am so there for you to get a cut! I would seriously love to have an agent... but the RPG biz is such small potatoes... it makes no sense.

I'm thrilled that it is appreciated. Catspaw is still on the side of almost incredible' date=' wuxia like demonstration and proportions. Not Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Hero scale... but definitely along the lines of scale as Ong Bok or Fist of Legend... fantastic and amazing... but not superheroic. Wait til you see her backflip in her tiny bedroom. I realize that, gritty it aint...heroic fantastic it is.[/quote']

I always thought too nuch realism was boring, especially for comics and other more static presentations. Who wants to see a fight end within 3 panels?

It's like a good kung fu movie... characters use all the craziest and most exotic moves within the style they're using despite realistic application because IT LOOKS AWESOME and is a lot more fun to see compared to the more realistic idea of taking a half step somewhere and nailing his opponent square in the throat/groin for all he is worth.

I'm also a big fan of movies like you mentioned. To me those are the ideal in MA movies. Fantastic enough to be thoroughly entertaining but realistic enough to seem grounded in the real world.

I do like movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon too... but its more a legend/fairy tale sort of thing to me and I enjoy those on that level.

Hey Hero faithful, thought I would drop on y'all some of the originals I will have for sale at Gencon.

The Fantasy Hero cover in its full 30" wide glory.

The inked cover for Demon.

And a bunch of Champions interiors.

Plus oodles of cheap original interiors for all kinds of genres, private commissions and odds and ends.

C'mon by at booth #4.

Hey Hero faithful, thought I would drop on y'all some of the originals I will have for sale at Gencon.

The Fantasy Hero cover in its full 30" wide glory.

The inked cover for Demon.

And a bunch of Champions interiors.

Plus oodles of cheap original interiors for all kinds of genres, private commissions and odds and ends.

C'mon by at booth #4.

I wanna go to GenCon! :cry: