Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Uh, Trib...that design is not originally American, its Russian. Look at any old photo of Yuri Gagarin if ya want. Meanwhile, you'd see Alan Shepard's spacesuit look like something Japanese aliens would wear in old Godzilla movies. Seriously. As NASA basically copied the Russian design eventually, it doesn't seem to fit an 'American Battlesuit' motif IMO.

YMMV though, I suppose. :)

Don't make me hurt you.

I have three others awaiting completion and then will have to decide whether to go with stiff on the list like the Lioness or get additions done like goons for the Pharoah. The October entry is likely to be the idea from Mutants and Masterminds posters.

For whatever reason' date=' the blaster thing in the palm of his left hand looks really good. Fits the picture a lot, and I particularly like it for some odd reason. I know its just a little thing, but there it is... =)[/quote']

Who said it was a blaster? It might be a "sonic screwdriver and can opener"...

...yeah...that's the ticket...

...cause sonic screwdrivers work so well in space

Here are two supporting cast NPCs from our Prime Time Adventures game: Lions at the Gate.

If you are interested in the actual play write ups of a really great, avant garde system.. check out:

week one, Pilot: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=21411.0

week two: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=21510.0

And then the pics themselves:

Hecate.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

William Reger has contracted me for 5 character commissions for his "Rippers" game. I usually don't go into this much detail, but William provide me with the BEST OVERALL character descriptions that I've ever gotten. William's organization, his attention to detail, he even thinks about body language. And I wanted to share.

I'll post the 2 character descriptions and tell you what I liked about them. Then I'll show you the pictures, and tell you why I changed the things I did from the descriptions.

-----

First description

Character Name: Lady Solana Cadizi (public persona of Noche’ Sofia)

Sex: Female

Physical Description: 21 year old female Spanish Noble, 5’ 3”, 110 firm and trim pounds, medium chest, long, very dark brown wavy hair with red undertones, worn in a “Gibson girl” style. Intelligent Green eyes, arched eyebrows, delicate features, fair skinned.

Game Stats (Savage Worlds): Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6

Hindrances: Curious, Quirk: frequent hand washing, Loyal, Secret Identity (Noche’ Sofia)

Edges: Attractive, AB: Magic, Noble

Genre: Victorian

Usual Outfit: Fashionable red long Spanish style dress, brown lace-up shoes with a 2” heel. She holds a red and gold parasol open to shield her skin from the sun and a medium brown purse with the left hand and arm. Dangling pearl earrings, a pearl ring on the right hand (fingers slightly curved) over her heart with long slender fingers ending in manicured but bare nails. (Note the dress hides her costume – see Noche’ Sofia)

Pose: Standing, daylight, facing artist as if she has just been asked a slightly inappropriate question. One eyebrow should be slightly raised and the face should have a quizzical look, as if she can’t believe she heard right. A slight smile might hint at her amusement of the situation.

2nd description

Character Name: Noche’ Sofia (secret identity of Lady Solana Cadizi)

Sex: Female

Physical Description: 21 year old female Spanish Noble, 5’ 3”, 110 firm and trim pounds, medium chest, long, very red wild hair (a wig), worn loose. Intelligent Green eyes, black mask around the eyes and over the nose and upper lip hides delicate features, fair skinned.

Game Stats (Savage Worlds): Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6

Hindrances: Curious, Quirk: frequent hand washing, Loyal, Secret Identity (Noche’ Sofia)

Edges: Attractive, AB: Magic, Noble

Genre: Victorian

Usual Outfit: Tight black leather outfit (ala “Cat Woman”) long sleeved, long pants, black belt with pouches, flat black shoes, tunic rounded neck at collarbone matching level of breast exposure of the normal dress with button up coverage, and pants lace up the front. There is a slim dagger in built in sheath on the right thigh and black gloves without fingertips.

Pose: A crouching lunge with a bolt of fire coming out of her extended right hand, left hand palm out over her head, and raised up on back toes. Eyes sparking, exposed skin slightly flushed.

Solana.jpg

Okay, what did I change? I changed the Sofia Noche personae from a crouch to "mirror" her other civilian guise. I wanted to draw a connection between these two figures... so even if the viewer DOESN'T know that they are one and the same, the viewer will really know that there is a strong connection between the two figures.

I also strived to make Sofia's "catsuit" period. Which was me extrapolating like crazy, but I wanted to avoid the Catwoman's current look.

Being a big fan of Gibson's turn of the century artwork, I refrenced some of it. It is the right time period! And I saw a lot of these jackets, "waist" jackets? I'm a sucker for shoulder pads, child of the 80s, what can I say. So I added the jacket to Solana. I kept her details pretty close to the description.

And there you have it... from excellent description to final image.

Now, I have patrons like Death Tribble who just gives me a couple of sentences in a character description. And I love working on his stuff. But William's thoroughness is nice too. And useful to think about as a checklist if you are thinking of commissioning a character illustration.

Terrific! Great Pulp feel to it.

Out of curiousity, what are the complete names of the two palookas on the fight bill?

"Doc" Snell and "Spug" Myers

BannerF.jpg

Page 8, Chapter 2 of Catspaw, the full color fantasy webcomic is up. Our duo do a little bickering while attending to the business at hand.

http://www.swordandsorcery.org/

Nice page, but missing something undefiniable compared to previeous work.

Darkness, nighttime, something.

QM

I have to agree. Nice, but it lacks the drama of previous pages. The two chareacters in full reveal without background detail (or even her bottom half) seemed "phoned in". Idle conversation between characters can still be dynamic if interesting angles and detail are incorporated.

The entire page looks a bit hurried. Perhaps that's just becouse it's something of a filler page? I know that it's hard to get excited about illustrating the quiet, but necessary, pages of a complete story.

Still lookin' good!

Storn, do yo have a copy of Wally Wood's 22 panels that always work?

If not, I can send you one.

I do.

Here is Bernard, the ex 'slinger who is Rion's nemesis. Actual Play thread here:

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=21595.0

BernardloRes.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

Continuing on with William's Ripper's group, the one where Sofia noche/Solana posted above.... here are the remaing 3.

HansloRes.jpg

DonAllloRes.jpg

IvanloRes.jpg

And now you see why I shifted William's pose suggestions...because now I combine them all together into one group shot.

Ripper5loRes.jpg