Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

First up: my new website is StornArt.com

2nd: My new email is Storn.Cook@gmail.com

NOW. For the fun stuff. A Legend of 5 Rings character concept commission. A Lion shugenja, who I was formely Phoenix, hence the fire fringe there.

IkomaloRes.jpg

Then a paladin from the Fortune and Glory game. Link to that world:

http://www.globalguardians.com/Fortune%20And%20Glory/fortuneandgloryindex.html

BerwynloRes.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

It hurts more. And I'm going to start at your feet' date=' so I can watch your expression change.[/quote']

I don't remember that last part.. but that's funny! Ah, the common information of gamers is so entertaining that a quote reference like that doesn't even need an actual reference. =)

And this time, a more detailed critique as to not make certain people cranky...

IkomaloRes.jpg

I like this one, the whirling flower petals are very nice, and helps bring the eye around through the whole character. Framing, or something, isn't it? Anyway, that and the slightly receding lower portion bringing the eye more to the top half makes for a nice way of setting the image up. I like the palette of colors, along with the flowers it gives a strong sense of the autumn season. The flame fringe was a nice touch, would have liked to see a little of it in the legs just to give it some balance, but I can see how that might be a bit too much as well, bringing the eye back down to the feet, where there really isn't that much emphasis.

BerwynloRes.jpg

I like the armor on this guy, though the figuring on the shoulders may be a bit heavy, my first glimpse had me thinking it was segmented. Looks really nice on the legs and such. Gems could use a bit more brightness, but those are a nice touch as well. Gorget seems to curve in a bit. Not so sure about the flap at the groin, whatever that thing is called. *shrug* Does well to give a little color balance to the cape, though.. and I really enjoyed the color transition in the sword. The sword itself is nice, fancy without being overly so, and very fitting.

I totally downloaded those pics. Thanks! As always, nice work!

I like the armor on this guy' date=' though the figuring on the shoulders may be a bit heavy, my first glimpse had me thinking it was segmented. Looks really nice on the legs and such. Gems could use a bit more brightness, but those are a nice touch as well. Gorget seems to curve in a bit. Not so sure about the flap at the groin, whatever that thing is called. *shrug* Does well to give a little color balance to the cape, though.. and I really enjoyed the color transition in the sword. The sword itself is nice, fancy without being overly so, and very fitting.[/quote']

The flap (a.k.a. skirt) is fairly period, and many suits of transitional armor used a mail skirt under the solid breastplate and segmented faulds.

The flap (a.k.a. skirt) is fairly period' date=' and many suits of transitional armor used a mail skirt under the solid breastplate and segmented faulds.[/quote']

Oh, I wasn't doubting the usefulness or the period appropriateness at all. Sorry if I came across that way. I was speaking purely from personal aesthetic ideas and trying to critique in a sensible way. Its my way of saying, "Once again, awesome!" (in addition to saying it again) while trying to promote some conversation about it, I guess. =)

I always enjoy Storn's work, I think he's great, and its nice to see an artist nowadays with a wider use of color and some brightness compared to a lot of the dark stuff out there. I don't know what method he uses, but a lot of his stuff looks like water-colors and such, which is definately something different.

Oh, sorry, babbling again... forced ending.

Dreamation Doodles

This last weekend, I had the honor to play a couple of games with the authors of two games. And as per course, I doodled as I played. Both games were awesome and let me plug them.

First up was Mortal Coil. The author (and amazing nice guy!) is Brennan Taylor and ran a wonderful game. It is a game about defining a world of magic. Well, I took a nap about 2 hours before the game session and had this dream of science fiction meets magic with a definite anime vibe. So I proposed it.

And the group accepted it and off we were running. In the end, we traveled to the center of the universe to save the civilized planets from planet eating demons to find the true spell of exorcism. We ended up blowing up the universe! With Love! and hit the reset button. Totally awesome!!

My character was the interperter, had spells of illusion and interpertation and clarity. He was in love with 'M.C.', the ship's AI and a player character. Here is Eric...

MCEricloRes.jpg

Then here is the ship, the "Mortal Coil".... how could we not name it that?

MCShiploRes.jpg

And lastly, here is "MC" the AI herself.

MCAIloRes.jpg

And a link to this wonderful game, Mortal Coil, ladies and gentlemen:

http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/products.php?publisherLink=galileo

Then I got the chance to play With Great Power. Run and written by Michael S. Miller. I've played a lot of superhero games, but this one really modelled the ramping up plans of the villain(s) and the heroes trials and woes and disasters... but then being able to pull out a victory at the last minute... better than any superhero game I've ever played. Lots of player input and control was possible.

This was pregen character, The Sheild, in Mutant Academy setting, trademark filed off to protect the guilty. I had so much fun playing the straight man to Thor's Wrath... this was a really fun game.

So, here is my version of The Sheild.

TheShieldloRes.jpg

And the link to another wonderful game, With Great Power come the responsibilty to buy and play this game:

http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/products.php?publisherLink=incarnadine

My character was the interperter, had spells of illusion and interpertation and clarity. He was in love with 'M.C.', the ship's AI and a player character. Here is Eric...

MCEricloRes.jpg

I really like that coat design. A nice, modernized take on formal samurai dress.

I actually liked this pic so much, and the fact that at the end of the last adventure, he becomes the black duke, I colorized it (pencil sketch somewhere above here in this thread). When I pencilled it at the table, I was definitely thinking white and golds for the color scheme. I had to reconsider that if he was to be the black duke.

so, here is the colorized Elabrin Tanis, my PC in the Burning Elves game. Link to that BW game: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?p=6847003#post6847003

BlackDukeloRes.jpg

These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/

As some of you know I do a thread once a year asking people to submit ideas for a piece of art that Storn then does. Well I have finalised the terms and conditions for this year and the thread just needs to be started. I was thinking of holding off until March but if there is a large enough public demand I will post the thread asap.

What say you ?