Followup Question: "Now I'm Free Falling..."

Hyper-Man

Question

Hi Steve,

Your answer to the previous question on this subject (Linky) has me really confused as it appears to contradict both the 5er and the FAQ:

5er
page 148, last paragraph:

Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2): This Limitation represents a form of Desolidification that does not provide true intangibility; it simulates mist form powers, malleable bodies, and similar abilities. The character can squeeze through very tiny openings, but cannot actually pass through physical objects.
He's still immune from damage as per standard Desolidification
(though many powers with this Limitation also take the Does Not Protect Against Damage Limitation).

FAQ

Q: If a character has Desolidification with the Limitation Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects, and while Desolidified runs into a solid object, what happens?

A: The character stops dead, but he takes no damage. The rules for that Limitation specifically state that a character with it remains immune from damage as per standard Desolidification. Therefore,
he can’t take damage from hitting a solid object
, but he can’t move through it, either, so he stops moving.

If that offends your sense of “realism†or you think it would cause game balance problems (both of which are possible), then the character should take damage — but perhaps less than he’d normally take. Maybe he only takes STUN damage, for example.

So are these references wrong?

1 answer to this question

Re: Followup Question: "Now I'm Free Falling..."

None of them are wrong. While it's possible for some Limitations to be "beneficial" in some minor ways, this particular one can't be allowed to be used as "I can fall as far as I want with no negative consequences" ability. Hence the previous answer.