Rule of X ideas?

Chuk

No offense, J but even starting guys like the Champions dont work under this rule of X unless I am missing something.

No offense taken.

Simple formulas like the one my group used, and a complex formula like you use serve two seperate purposes. For maintaining balance with thousands of XP, a complex formula like yours is needed. But that isn't the purpose of simple formulas like mine. Rather those are simply a formulitic way of expressing the general idea that the more agile a character is, the weaker that characters attacks and defenses are.

Simple formulas just express the trade offs, for example that 5 points of attack equals 1 OCV, or that 1 DCV equals 5 points of PD or ED, 10 points of stun or 20 points of recovery.

Are such simple formulas perfect or sufficent for the long run? No, of course not. All they are good for is to codify what factors the GM feels are most important, and how they relate to each other. For a group whose games rarely last much past 100 XP, and never to 200 XP, we don't need such a comprehsive formula as your long lasting games do.

As for the Champions not fitting in the 100 limit, my group tends to run low powered heroes. For us, a 60 point attack with an 8 OCV is high, most characters with a 12d6 attack have only a 7 OCV (or less). And Haymakers and move-throughs are counted, since our groups uses those manuvers very rarely. In fact, none of our characters reached the limit. And the one character with darkness (not covered by the formula) had even lower defenses to compensate. With good players, a rule of X isn't a limit, but a guide line so that they don't make characters that are too far from the norm.

As with any rule of X, the X needs to be set to match the desired power level. Pehaps 110 would be better for most groups.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Keneton

J

Good point. I agree that for lower point totals this makes a lot of sense. The ER is also designed with multiple GM's involved (not that this is necessary).

Also at lower power levels I'd make another suggestion.

Do limit active points.

Do make a CV Cap.

The ratio of effectiveness is a s follows. 1 CV= 1DC= 1/3 SPD = 5 Stun = 10 other Defense = 3 normal Defense = 5" movement

Keeping these things in mind the rest of the rating makes itself clear.

Your idea about keeping offense and defense seperate is very good. We tried to do this with the ER but never got the tweaks out. Good luck to you and thanks for seeing my post for what they are. You are a good sport.

:D

Your idea about keeping offense and defense separate is very good

It keeps characters with balanced attacks and defenses. It's most helpful for those new to the game so that they can make balanced characters. On the other hand, characters who are unbalanced can be fun as well (High attack, but glass jaw, or very hard to hit, but can't do much damage). A combined rule of X allows for these. But even with a separate rule of X for offense and defense such characters are still possible if the GM uses the rule of X as a guideline instead of an absolute limit.

The ratio of effectiveness is a s follows. 1 CV= 1DC= 1/3 SPD = 5 Stun = 10 other Defense = 3 normal Defense = 5" movement

So for a custom simple rule of X for your game, pick the factors above you want to consider for Offensive, Defensive, or Combined. Use the values you consider typical for your game, and use the resulting value as the rule of X for your game. Keep in mind that CV usually counts twice (as OCV and DCV). And when ambiguities arise, use common sense to resolve them. And finally, keep in mind the limitations of a simple formula, and look for powers or combinations that could cause problems.

On a different note, can the effectiveness rating be used to balance power levels between a group and a single, more powerful villian? If so, can you give advice as to how?

Re: My System

Originally posted by Keneton

Sounding like Aaron Nimzovitch there for a sec!

Please see DH#3 for The Effectiveness Rating. This is a 12 years playtested system that has evolved to rate and control campaigns in numerous states and with extremely varying power levels. It has yet to fail!

We use a cap of 100 for player characters on the ER. The Spreadsheet is availlable for free in the Fee Stuff section of this board. The URL is given below.

http://herogame.dans.cust.servlets.net/FreeStuff/csheets.htm

I accept e-mails from players with ER questions and try to be quick on responses. If you have a chance to read the article, you will find the mechanics sound.

I am not stating that this sytem replaces a proactive GM, but I ma saying that this tool makes GM rulings sound and fair from a mathmatical standpoint and not arbitrary.

Anyone who knows me will attest to the soundness of my approach and I highly reccomend it.

;)

Is this a system that has a copy rite or is there a way to review it without DH#3?

I ask because I niether have nor can I aford a DH subscription.

Guest Keneton

How would you rate it (exponentially?). Have you read the system or are you just making a random comment? I always accept constructive criticism, but a little explanation is in order before you attack an idea.

I am guessing that you mean that Speed should be multiplied by attck OCV and DC for instance. This was considered, but was not shown to be accurate.

Remember we have been working on this for 12 years.

;)

I am glad to answer questions and comments concerning how or why the formula evolved in this manner.

Guest Keneton

Concerning the question about ER and play balance. . .

Generally a 10 ER advantage requires two chracters to compensate. A 110 Villain can generally fight two 100 ER heroes. This is not exponential like Strength so the numbers are added for each 10, so to fight 4 heroes requires +20 ER and to fight 6 is +30. After this the sytem tends to break down as numbers over 6 are hard to compensate for in Champions when Heroes can spoil attacks with Trget Falls maneuvers, throw, missile deflection, and area powers.

:)

My non-linear system for reflecting the importance of SPD is very simple.

The GM defines a punching bag-bot with a DCV, PD, ED (assume it's all resistant) and Stun. These values should reflect the average values for a standard 1v1 opponent.

Calculate how many seconds it takes for you to knock one of these things out. Assume average results on die rolls.

Double the SPD, half the time required. Non-linear.

Guest Keneton

Regarding copyright:

I may be a rules lawyer but not a real lawyer! :D

When I wrote the article for DH I signed a contract making the work the property of DOJ. I ma not sure that it is official or copyrighted, but It is their property. They give aways wbout half of DH every month, but mine was not a free stuff item. The spreadsheet although is, and as I stated earlier I will answer questions and provide help vs e-mail. I have done this for over a dozen of people on these boards and will be glad to assist anyone else that asks.

Regarding The Punching Bag Rating System:

Well, rating how fast someone knocks someone out vs. how tuff they really are is not accurate. Let me explain in detail. .

The most pwerful 120 ER charcter we ever had was Bloodfire. he was a martial srtist charcter and his top base namage was around DC 12. He could "switch: OCV, DCV, and DC to an extreme variant and was never knocked out to my knowledge. For example he could fight at a 32 DCV and a 9 Speed, using Teleport, Full Move Manevers and Tunnelling to avoid ever being hit.

This guy would take some time in KO ing a big defense punching bag, but the is no one could even hurt this guy!

My 120 Keneton had big damge, good OCV and good defenses. He was tuff all around but would have a 1-100 chance of beating Bloodfire. he brougth about a huge change from CR (see AC#1) to ER.

The method you describe does make sense, but does not work, especially in FRED. . .

Imagine how much Sweep, Multipower ower Attacks, and Autofire Attacks would add to your rating. How about attacks that ignored the punching bags defenses? Would they rate higher just becuse they were better at KOing a punching bag? In practice such attacks are very inefficient. I would take a 15d6EB over a 10d6 Autofire (5) EB any day of the week, yet they rate the same. Under your sytem the autofire EB would rate far higher as the robot punching bag is going toget KO'd faster by this attack.

These are my thoughts on this matter.

RE: Rating Speed

We have found that 3 OCV or DCV or 3 DC is the equivelent of 1 SPD. Speed advantages greater than two tend to be very imbalancing, but when less than 2 are not unbalancing at all. Speed efficiany has 3 major breaking points 5,6, and 8. These are buy far the three most efficient Speeds.

Most Fights are decided aerly and the following factors help decide my advice.

My ER limit is 100, so Speeds over 10 become very ineffective.

--A speed of 5 acts twice before the midpoint of a fight, but then tracks a six SPD thoughout the balance. This makes a 5 a good SPD for characters with decent defenses that survive a high Speed Rush, or characters that hav good powers toabourt to like Desol. To test me. . .Make Blackstar from CKC a 5 instead of a 4 and see how much tuffer he gets!

--A speed of 6 goes three times Early and 3 times late. A 7 has nearly no advantage agianst a 6 in the deciding early phases as for 4 straight phases they track each other (12,2,4,and 6)

A 6 is not overly ER expensive and is conceptual for more Fast Supers!

--The 8 Speed is deevestating as it is the lowest high speed to take advantage of of multiple early turn advantages over lower speeds. For example 8 vs. 6. (6=2,4,6 or 3 phases in firsty half turn). (8=2,3,5,6) or 4 phases in early half turn. The advantage is devestating especially if combined with a higher order of action (Dex or Lightning reflexes). The setup phase is held to set up the finishing attack. . .Hold 2nd until 6 speed commits and martial throw hime. Rapid attack sweep him on the ground in 3rd to finish hime early. if 6 aborts 4th I have 2 more attempts to crank him out before he goes again!

These are my thoughts! Good luck to all of you.

:)

I run a 9 SPD character, and 9 is also an awesome SPD to beat on lower SPD characters. Assuming proportional DEX:SPD ratios (i.e., characters with higher SPDs typically have correspondingly higher DEX as well), against a SPD 2 Normal a 9 SPD will have acted 4 times before the SPD 2 even gets to act. Against characters with 3, 4, 5, and 6 SPD (Easily 98% of HERO characters fall into these 4 SPDs) a 9 SPD acts in every single segment they do plus several others. That allows Blocks if necessary and still leaves available free segments to attack. Against a 7 SPD a 9 acts in the same segments until Segment 9, by which time the 9 SPD will already have acted 6 times to the 7 SPDs 5 times.

I think Keneton is correct in that 8 is a more "efficient" SPD, but 9 does have it's attractions. :D

Forgive the major snippage....

The most pwerful 120 ER charcter we ever had was Bloodfire.

My 120 Keneton had big damge, good OCV and good defenses. He was tuff all around but would have a 1-100 chance of beating Bloodfire. he brougth about a huge change from CR (see AC#1) to ER.

Am I reading this right? Both Bloodfire and Keneton had an ER of 120, but Bloodfire would win 99 out of 100 times if they fought? That doesn't make the ER system sound very effective in balancing characters, unless Bloodfire was optimized to beat characters such as Keneton.

Or was Keneton a 120 on the "CR" scale?

Color me confused :confused:

Originally posted by Chaosliege

NEVER let a player play a character you haven't looked at. That's the "rule" we use.

Ah the Golden Rule of ANY (and I do mean ANY) game system. I couldn't agree with you more. No matter what Rule of X you like or prefer, its still up to the GM to look over the character and see if anything just doesn't click with his vision of the game. I've had players look at me funny when I told them I wasn't going to allow them to have certain combinations of powers and/or advantages, because although logical tended to be to advantageous to the player and would unbalance the game. Luckily, most players are reasonible in our group. We tend to show unreasonible players who have joined our group the door in short order.

Originally posted by nblade

Ah the Golden Rule of ANY (and I do mean ANY) game system. I couldn't agree with you more. No matter what Rule of X you like or prefer, its still up to the GM to look over the character and see if anything just doesn't click with his vision of the game. I've had players look at me funny when I told them I wasn't going to allow them to have certain combinations of powers and/or advantages, because although logical tended to be to advantageous to the player and would unbalance the game. Luckily, most players are reasonible in our group. We tend to show unreasonible players who have joined our group the door in short order.

This or course presumes that the GM in question is savvy enough to counter any and all players in their game.

For the novice GM, at least, some sort of guideline provides a safety net so that they have access to insight that generally takes years to accumulate.

Guest Keneton

Good Questions, Good Answers

Regarding Bloodfire vs, Keneton. . .

Yes this was one of the reasons we switched from CR (version 3) to ER. The changes went. . . .

CR v1 (SEE AC #1)

CR v2 (redifined switching and counted all defenses at once as opposed to old method thet rated per phase)

CRv3 (Introduced CCRL Camapaign Combat Rating Limitations or means of reducing the CR by limiting the character in some way.)

ER (Present Version)

On the ER Bloodfire would have rated around 200 while that Keneton would likely rate around 147. The ER would have easily predicted the one sided victory.

Now two characters can have the same ER and the fight not be completely even. For example Armadillo would likely not beat Psimon even though their ER's are not to different. Armadillo has a x2 Stun From Mental Attacks vulnerability. This makes this particular fight over before it starts.

Another thing that modify;'s the ER is the Veteran Bonus. Shade has a 100 ER in her present version. She is about 2300 points. She has a Veteran bonus of 19. Therefore before this modifier her actual ER is 119.

Keneton (low end version) is a 119.3 I will attach him below.

Guest Keneton

Kenton (First Fred Conversion -Low End)

Keneton

Player: Bob Pennington

Val Char Cost
60 STR 50
28 DEX 54
40 CON 60
17 BODY 14
18 INT 8
15 EGO 10
30 PRE 20
24 COM 7
30 PD 8
30 ED 12
6 SPD 22
20 REC 0
80 END 0
65 STUN -2
10" RUN02" SWIM012" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 263

Cost Power END
20 Hard Training: (Total: 20 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Normal Defense (Real Cost: 5) plus +0 STR, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (15 Active Points) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic) (added to Primary Value) (Real Cost: 15)
13 Fast: Running +4", Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (13 Active Points) (added to Primary Value) 1
68 Kinetic Energy Enfused Body: (Total: 68 Active Cost, 68 Real Cost) Armor (10 PD / 10 ED), Hardened (+1/4), Inherent (+1/4) (45 Active Points) (added to Primary Value) (Real Cost: 45) plus Damage Resistance (10 PD / 10 ED) (Real Cost: 10) plus Life Support (Longevity: 200 Years, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum) (Real Cost: 8) plus Power Defense (5 points) (Real Cost: 5)
36 Kinetic Energy Absorption: (Total: 42 Active Cost, 36 Real Cost) Absorption 3d6 (max. Absorbed Points: 20): Energy into END (16 Active Points); Limited Phenomena (-1/4) (Real Cost: 13) plus Absorption 3d6 (max. Absorbed Points: 20): Physical (16 Active Points); Limited Phenomena (-1/4) (Real Cost: 13) plus Knockback Resistance -5" (Real Cost: 10) [Notes: Attacks that have kinetic energy.]
45 Kinetic Energy Sense: Detect A Large Class Of Things 13- (Analyze, Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Range, Sense, Targeting Sense, Telescopic (+3))
10 Neural Dampners (Implanted in Skull by PRIMUS): (Total: 10 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) +7 Mental Defense (10 points total) (Real Cost: 7) plus Damage Resistance ( / 6 Mental Def.) (Real Cost: 3)
80 Power Blast: Energy Blast 16d6 (vs. PD) 8
79 Power Flight: Flight 15" (Improved Noncombat Movement (x8), Position Shift), Rapid Noncombat Movement (+1/4), Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (79 Active Points) 3
20 Slow Field: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Visible (-1/4), Limited Power (Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness; -1/4) [Notes: Only vs. physical attacks that have kinetic energy]
Powers Cost: 371

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Crush: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +4d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab
4 Fast Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike
5 Flying Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
5 Flying Grab: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, +10 STR for holding on; FMove
4 Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort
4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +15 STR vs. Grabs
3 Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, +10 STR for holding on
4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike
3 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +v/5, Target Falls
5 Offensive Strike: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike
5 Sacrifice Strike: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, -2 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike
3 Sacrifice Throw: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +1 DCV, STR Strike; You Fall, Target Falls
4 Shove: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +15 STR to Shove
5 Takeaway: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab Weapon, +10 STR to take weapon away
3 Takedown: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, STR Strike; Target Falls
Martial Arts Cost: 65

Cost Skill
3 Acrobatics 15-
3 Breakfall 15-
3 Computer Programming 13-
3 Concealment 13-
3 Conversation 15-
3 Cryptography 13-
3 Deduction 13-
10 Defense Maneuver: I-IV
3 Navigation (Air, Land) 13-
3 Oratory 15-
3 Paramedics 13-
3 PS: Martial Arts Instruction (INT-based) 13-
3 PS: PRIMUS Paranormal Support (INT-based) 13-
5 Rapid Attack (Ranged)
5 Rapid Attack (HTH)
3 Seduction 15-
3 Security Systems 13-
3 Shadowing 13-
3 Stealth 15-
3 Streetwise 15-
3 Systems Operation 13-
3 Tactics 13-
3 Teamwork 15-
10 Two-Weapon Fighting (Ranged)
10 Two-Weapon Fighting (HTH)
32 +4 with All Combat
20 +2 Overall
3 Linguist
1 1) Language: Spanish: Fluent Conversation (2 Active Points)
3 Scholar
2 1) KS: Criminal Law (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 2) KS: Martial Arts World (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 3) KS: Mystic World (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 4) KS: Paranormals (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 5) KS: PRIMUS (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
1 6) KS: VIPER (2 Active Points) 11-
3 Traveler
2 1) AK: Stonghold (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 2) AK: Miami (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 3) AK: New York City (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2 4) AK: Millennium City (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
Skills Cost: 181

Cost Perk
3 Fringe Benefit (Federal/National Police Powers)
12 Contact: Ares Bryson of PRIMUS (14-) (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Contact has: extremely useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact)
Perks Cost: 15

Cost Talent
9 Ambidexterity (Eliminate Off Hand Penalty entirely)
Talents Cost: 9

Total Character Cost: 904

Val Disadvantages
10 Distinctive Features: Reads as Mutant, Not Concealable, Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction, Detectable Only By Unusual Senses
10 Hunted: Deathstroke, As Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish
10 Hunted: The Institute for Human Advancement, Less Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish, Extensive Non-Combat Influence
20 Psychological Limitation: Code of the Hero, Very Common, Strong
20 Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing, Common, Total
10 Psychological Limitation: Distrusts Mentalists, Common, Moderate
15 Secret ID: Jared K. Bryson
10 Social Limitation: Sudject to Orders (PRIMUS), Occasionally (8-), Major

Disadvantage Points: 105

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 599

Total Experience Available: 610

Experience Unspent: 11

Re: Good Questions, Good Answers

On the ER Bloodfire would have rated around 200 while that Keneton would likely rate around 147. The ER would have easily predicted the one sided victory.

Ah. Whew, I was worried there for a second, thinking the ER was totally cracked. As you may remember from another thread, I’ve been thinking of using your ER system. Thanks for all your fast responses to my email questions.

It’s going to be an uphill struggle to convince my fellow players to use it (I can hear the cries of “It’s too complicated!†already). Before I wage that battle there are a couple of concerns I have with the system I was wondering if you (and anyone else out there using it) might comment upon.

The first is it does not seem to give enough credit for versatility. For example, let’s consider two character’s, A and B. Char A has a 6d6 Area Effect (Cone) EB. Char B has a Multipower that contains a 12d6 EB, a 6d6 Area Effect (Cone) EB, a 6d6 NND EB and a 5d6, DEF 5 Entangle. Assume everything else about these characters is the same (at least from an ER standpoint, they could have different KSs for instance). Using the ER these characters would rate exactly the same. But it seems to me that Char B’s variety of attack options make him a more effective combatant. One fix for this I’ve thought of is adding a new item in the Capabilities section that adds one to the ER for each attack that is with say 10% of the Most Effective Attack. The attacks should be noticeably different to count for this, so having a dozen Martial Arts maneuvers that all rate about the same won’t inflate the ER.

The second is it gives too much credit to “gimmick†powers. One of my PC’s has a 60 Active Point Force Wall. The power is pretty heavily limited (only two continuing charges) and is really only for emergencies. If he uses it once every third session or so, they’d be a lot. But it boosts his ER by 12! That’s way too much when you consider the usefulness of the power. A possible solution here is for the GM to allow some of the Limitations on such a gimmick power to reduce the AP plugged into the ER calculations.

Guest Keneton

The capabilities section attempts to clarify this but if you feel the need to add, a straight one for each additional attack is probably bettr. Adding % of total ER can run you into an accounting nightmare. In your example the one charcters ER wuld be one higher as this one has an area attack. Otherwise your example is great. I do understand the logic.

We have spoken about adjusting the ER for other reasons, but the capabilities have worked out fine so far.

On another note, I only rate heroes. Villains can have any ER that they want. There is an upside to rating both, you do get an idea about how challenging a fight will be!

Guest Keneton

I forgot to address the Gimmick power thing. Well this has come up before. In one of our playtests we did not rate attacks that were less than 50% of The Most effctive attack. For example if you had a 60 Active point EB you did not have to rate a 2d6 RKA. This proved moot as rarely did it effect the ER anyways.

Ragrding Defences like Forcewall, rememeber the forcewall is in many ways an attack and a defense. This forcewll that adds 12 is by no menas little. It can stop an average martail artist cold! As a GM you can choose to ignore this rating, but what happens if the limitation is bought off, or if the limitation cahnges to say x10 End Cost!

Without making a hard and fast rule like rating active points, powers can really get out of hand. I do see your thought here.

This debate has definately come up on several accasions such as specialized Damage Redution. (Say for example 50% Resentant Energy DR, Fire Only (-1)) Should this count as 6 on the ER. Is this as good as 3 CV or 2 Speed? Well of course its not as good, but it was the players choice, just like the good levelsor the cheap ones.

The ER not only controls efficiency, it urges efficiency on without being restrictive to conception.

I am enjoying your well thought out questions.

Minor nit-pick, both characters in my example had the area effect EB, so neither was one ER point higher than the other.

I figured the capabilities section of the ER spreadsheet was created to address the issue of versatility, but it misses the mark because it doesn’t have enough capabilities listed. And listing all of the major attack types available causes other problems. For example, if you just added NND attacks to the capabilities section, then a character with a 6d6 NND EB would rate one ER point higher that one with a 12d6 EB. That’s a problem because both attacks are equivalent and should rate the same. The problem with the current system is a character with BOTH a 6d6 NND EB AND a 12d6 EB rates that same as a character with just one of the two.

Let me revise my solution. Take the Max ER, divide by 10, then divide by 2 rounding up, and call this the Multiple Attack Factor (MAF). So for a 100 ER supers game, the MAF is 5, and for a 70 ER Fantasy Hero game MAF is 4. For each additional attack that a character has that is within the MAF (measured in ER points) of the character’s Most Effective Attack, add one to the ER. The additional attacks must be significantly different for this purpose; GM’s call on what “significantly different†entails. So going back to my example, Char B would be 3 ER higher than Char A.

Now on to the “gimmick power†debate.

Ragrding Defences like Forcewall, rememeber the forcewall is in many ways an attack and a defense. This forcewll that adds 12 is by no menas little. It can stop an average martail artist cold!

I should’ve elaborated more. The Force Wall I was using as an example was a power granted by an enchanted sword and had no range and was “fixed†to the sword (so if the sword moved the FW did). So its ability to be used as an attack was limited. The PC could englobe an adjacent opponent, but he would then have to stand there and couldn’t use the sword to do anything else. So basically he would be taking himself out of the combat as well while the FW was up.

Keep in mind that a character of ER+10 should be able to, on average, take on two characters of ER. The FW added 12 ER to the PC. He certainly could not take on two duplicates of himself that lacked the FW.

As a GM you can choose to ignore this rating, but what happens if the limitation is bought off, or if the limitation cahnges to say x10 End Cost!

Obviously if the limitations are bought off or changed so that the power is no longer as limited, then it would then have greater impact on increasing the ER. The same way that buying more CSLs with your Most Effective Attack will raise your ER.

Also, by not giving a discount to “gimmick†powers, the ER system discourages the use of ‘Limited-Use Powers’ as described in the Champions book, page 132.

Well of course its not as good, but it was the players choice…

I’m sorry, but that strikes me as a cop out. It’s basically saying to players “Don’t choose to have any gimmick powers, or your ER will be inflated beyond its true measure.†I think gimmick powers add quite a bit to the game, and discouraging them is a bad thing.

Unfortunately, my proposed fix, discounting gimmick powers based on their most limiting factors, adds more GM “judgment calls". Oh well, whoever said a GM’s job is easy. For my Force Wall example, I’d say the continuing charges limitation (-1) and the no range (-1/2) would count as limitations for ER purposes but OAF would not. So instead of 60 AP of Force Wall being plugged into the ER calculation, 24 AP would. This would raise the ER by 4.8 instead of 12. Probably still a little more than it’s really worth, but it now seems reasonable to me.

For your “50% Resistant Energy DR, Fire Only (-1)†example I’d say that limitation should count in the ER, so the power would only increase ER by 3 instead of 6.

I am enjoying your well thought out questions.

I too am enjoying the discussion, but fear we may have killed the thread for anybody else…

:(

Guest Keneton

Understand that the ER was originally designed in a cmapign with very high point characters so the "choice" ideology I described was valid in that campaign. I agree that in some instances certain powers Rate high, but are not as effectice given limitations. As a GM you can choose to rate this more accurately by applying the discount as noted in your response like 3 for the Fire DR. I consider this OK and in many cases more accurate than the strict ER.

I also agree that you solution to the multiple attacks has merit. Let me first explain exactly why we moved away from multiple attacks as a rated ability or versatility.

1. We did not want all 100 ER's to be excatly alike. A fully fleshed 100 ER with many attack forms is a reward for having more earned EP and not a direct litmus test of power. It is a toll for measuremnet, but certainly not a certain metric. Is istrelatively accurate (yes), Completely so (no).

2. We have found that the strait attacks are generally far more powerful than attacks with one adavantage. Stacked advantages on the other hand can be dangerous. I give a possible adjustment in the DH article for the same.

3. We highlighted combos of powers that seem to causea disparity in the ER such as Indirect attacks and Indirect Targeting Sense, Reflect any attack, and Transform into anything. If you feel that multiple attacks or a framework warrant such, please adjust, but over time we found this not to be the case as reagrdless of type of attck we have already rated all appropriate defense, and non areas still need to hit with CV being the largest single factor in the ER.

Regarding your propose system change: As above your idea is very good. I will attempt to playtest it. I would also like to point out that not having many different attacks may just earn you a package bonus! (see DH#3 for the explanation). If this is not enough rate power frameworks with more than 1 attack power as +1 under capabilities. This should be more than adequate to make things balanced without disturbing the ideas given under point #1 above.

Regarding my earlier response: I should have read more closely about the area. I have been helping with the new baby (my wife and I had a baby boy on the 21st!)

Regarding Killing the Thread: People squash my threads all of the time. We have been quite germine to the subject. I hope other join in! Here is a point to consider, how do other GM's legislate or limit CV's?

Guest Keneton

Mitch will probaby kill me!

Mitch has posted Shade before, so I'm sure he wont mind. This is a fully fleshed 100 ER tweked to the hilt! Note she has a huge veteran bonus and so fights more like a 116 ER. She started a long time ago and really did earn all of this EP.

Sorry if this takes up a whole page!

SHADE

Player: WMR

Val Char Cost
40/55 STR 30
24 DEX 42
30 CON 40
15 BODY 10
28 INT 18
24 EGO 28
30 PRE 20
30 COM 10
18 PD 10
18 ED 12
6 SPD 26
14 REC 0
60 END 0
50 STUN 0
15" RUN05" SWIM08"/11" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 246

Cost Power END
39 Divine Magical Movement Powers: Elemental Control, 78-point Powers
40 1) Air Mastery: Flight 15" (Improved Noncombat Movement (x8), Position Shift), Usable Underwater (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (79 Active Points)
73 2) Shadow Step: Teleportation 15" (No Relative Velocity, Position Shift, x2 Increased Mass), Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (112 Active Points)
660 Divine Magical Power: VPP (Magic Pool), 300 base + 360 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (750 Active Points); Limited Class Of Powers Available (Slightly Limited; -1/4)
0 1) Deep Shadows: Change Environment 8" radius (-4 PER Roll: Normal Sight), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (39 Active Points) Real Cost: 39
0 2) Darkness Blast: Energy Blast 15d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (112 Active Points) Real Cost: 112
0 3) Numbing Darkness: Energy Blast 7d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), No Normal Defense (Standard; +1) (87 Active Points) Real Cost: 87 [Notes: NND Defense: LS: Cold, Cold or Darkness Powers]
0 4) Dark Force Bonds: Entangle 7d6, 7 DEF (Stops A Given Sense: Normal Sight), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (112 Active Points) Real Cost: 112
0 5) Destructive Darkness: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (plus STR) (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points) Real Cost: 45
0 6) Silver Sword: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points) Real Cost: 45
0 7) Dark Force Bolts: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. ED), +1 Stun Multiplier (+1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (105 Active Points) Real Cost: 105
0 8) Dark Force Bolt: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points) Real Cost: 94 4
0 9) Magical Silver Shields: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Ranged (Adjacent Hex; +1/2) (30 Active Points) Real Cost: 30
0 10) Instant Change: Transform 2d6 (Cosmetic), Standard Effect (+0), Improved Target Group (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (17 Active Points); Limited Target: Clothes (Limited; -1/2) Real Cost: 11
0 11) Slick Spell: Change Environment 16" radius (-4 DEX Rolls and DEX Based Skills), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (65 Active Points); Only Effects Characters Along Surfaces (-1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 43
0 12) Confusion: Change Environment 16" radius (-4 INT Rolls and INT Based Skills), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (65 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 52
0 13) Warmth: Change Environment 16" radius (4 Temperature Level Adjustment), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (51 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 41
0 14) Chill: Change Environment 16" radius (4 Temperature Level Adjustment), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (51 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 41
0 15) Green Thumb: Change Environment 4" radius (Long-Lasting: Permanent), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (52 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 42 [Notes: Makes Plants Happy and Healthy]
0 16) Fog: Change Environment 16" radius (-3 PER Roll: Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (46 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 37
0 17) Psychometry: Clairsentience (Sight Group; Additional Sense: Normal Hearing, Retrocognition) (45 Active Points); Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Time Modifiers (-1/2), Vague and Unclear (-1/2), Can only see events associated with an area she is in or an object she is touching (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 12 4
0 18) Eye of the Mind: Clairsentience (Sight Group; Additional Sense Group: Hearing Group, Additional Sense: Detect Magic, x256 Range), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (112 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 64
0 19) Spider Walking: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 7
0 20) Cloak: Darkness to Clairsentience 3" radius (Custom Adder), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (75 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 60
0 21) Douse Magic: Dispel 20d6: Magic, Expanded Effect (One At A Time; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (90 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 72 4
0 22) Extinguish: Dispel 11d6: Fire, Expanded Effect (One At A Time; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1) (82 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 66 4
0 23) Banishment: Dispel 25d6: Magical Summon, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 24) Remove Curse: Dispel 25d6: Magical Transform, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 25) Destroy Wards of Protection: Dispel 25d6: Magical Force Field, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Only vs. Magical Force Field (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 54 4
0 26) Touch of the Sandman: Drain 7 1/2d6: STUN, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 27) Touch of the Void: Drain 7 1/2d6: DEX, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 28) Temporal Globe: Drain 7 1/2d6: SPD, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 29) Touch of Destruction: Drain 7 1/2d6: Body, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 30) Touch of Weakness: Drain 7 1/2d6: STR, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 31) Ray of Enfeeblement: Drain 5d6: STR, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 32) Ray of Decay: Drain 5d6: Body, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 33) Slow: Drain 5d6: DEX, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 34) Ray of Dreams: Drain 5d6: Stun, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 35) Vertigo: Drain 3d6: DEX, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Area Of Effect (11" Cone; +1) (82 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 66 4
0 36) Cone of Weakness: Drain 3d6: STR, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Area Of Effect (11" Cone; +1) (82 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 66 4
0 37) Cone of Decay: Drain 3d6: Body, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Area Of Effect (11" Cone; +1) (82 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 66 4
0 38) Cone of Dreams: Drain 3d6: Stun, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Area Of Effect (11" Cone; +1) (82 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 66 4
0 39) Temporal Cone: Drain 3d6: SPD, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Area Of Effect (11" Cone; +1) (82 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 66 4
0 40) Rain of Weakness: Drain 2d6: STR, Delayed Return Rate (5 Points per Minute; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Non-Standard Attack Power (+1) (95 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 76
0 41) Sleep Darts: Drain 2d6: Stun, Delayed Return Rate (5 Points per Minute; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Non-Standard Attack Power (+1) (95 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 76
0 42) Rain of Lost Time: Drain 2d6: SPD, Delayed Return Rate (5 Points per Minute; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Non-Standard Attack Power (+1) (95 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 76
0 43) Drunken Arrows: Drain 2d6: DEX, Delayed Return Rate (5 Points per Minute; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), Non-Standard Attack Power (+1) (95 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 76
0 44) Weaken Magic: Drain 6d6: Magic Powers, Variable Effect (One Power At A Time; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (90 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 72 4
0 45) Night's Rage: Ego Attack 7 1/2d6 (Additional Class of Minds: Alien, Additional Class of Minds: Animals), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (119 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 95 5
0 46) Pain: Ego Attack 5d6 (Additional Class of Minds: Alien, Additional Class of Minds: Animal), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Penetrating (+1/2) (122 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 98 5
0 47) Silver Light: Energy Blast 15d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 48) Flame Strike: Energy Blast 15d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 49) Earthen Ram: Energy Blast 15d6 (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 50) Tsunami: Energy Blast 15d6 (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 51) Hurricane Wind: Energy Blast 15d6 (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 52) Bolt of Stunning: Energy Blast 15d6 (vs. ED), Stun Only (+0), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 53) Static Shock: Energy Blast 15d6 (vs. ED), Stun Only (+0), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 54) Dancing Spheres of Pain: Energy Blast 12d6 (vs. ED), Stun Only (+0), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (135 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 108
0 55) Power Spheres: Energy Blast 12d6 (vs. ED), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (135 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 108
0 56) Spirit Force: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Affects Desolidified (Any form of Desolidification; +1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 57) Bolt of Ethereal Silver: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Indirect (Any origin, always fired away from attacker; +1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 58) Fire Burst: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Explosion (Normal (Radius) -1 DC/1"; +1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 59) Tornado Winds: Energy Blast 10d6 (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Explosion (Normal (Radius) -1 DC/1"; +1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 60) Mists of Morpheus: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (6" Radius; +1), No Normal Defense (Standard; +1) (81 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 65 [Notes: NND Defense: LS: Reduced Sleep, or 30 or more CON] 4
0 61) Psionic Storm: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (6" Radius; +1), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense; +1) (81 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 65 4
0 62) Numbing Cold: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (6" Radius; +1), No Normal Defense (Standard; +1) (81 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 65 [Notes: NND Defense: LS: Cold, Cold or Fire Powers] 4
0 63) For Whom the Bell Tolls: Energy Blast 5d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (6" Radius; +1), No Normal Defense (Standard; +1) (81 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 65 [Notes: NND Defense: Hearing Group Flash Defense, Deafness, Sonic Powers] 4
0 64) True Sight: Spatial Awareness (Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Range) (37 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 30
0 65) Light of Revelation: (Total: 25 Active Cost, 12 Real Cost) Sight Group Images (10 Active Points); Only to Create Image of Demon's True Form (-1/2), Linked: Detect Demons to Air Mastery (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Detect: Demons A Class Of Things 15- (Discriminatory, Range) (15 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Costs END Every Phase; -1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) (Real Cost: 8) Real Cost: 12 2
0 66) Mage Sight: Telescopic +8 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Detect Magic) (8 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 6
0 67) Eavesdrop: Telescopic +8 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Hearing Group) (12 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 10
0 68) Far Sight: Telescopic +8 to PER Rolls (only to offset the Range Modifier) (Sight Group) (12 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 10
0 69) Finding the True Path: Bump of Direction (3 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 2 1
0 70) Spirit Snare: Entangle 5d6, 5 DEF, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Affects Desolidified (Any form of Desolidification; +1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 71) Mindlock: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, Works Against EGO, Not STR (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks (All Attacks; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Sight Group, Hearing Group; +3/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense; +1) (75 Active Points); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 50 3
0 72) Ward of Containment: Entangle 5d6, 5 DEF, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks (All Attacks; +1/2) (87 Active Points); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 58 4
0 73) Aura of Binding: Entangle 1d6, 1 DEF, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (17 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 14 1
0 74) Hands of Darkness: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks (All Attacks; +1/2), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1) (82 Active Points); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 55 4
0 75) Entrapment: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (90 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 72 4
0 76) Plane Shift: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Related Group of Dimensions, Any Location; x8 Increased Weight) (50 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1 1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 20 5
0 77) Blilnding Silver: Flash 15d6 (Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 78) Starburst: Flash 10d6 (Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Explosion (Normal (Radius) -1 DC/1"; +1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 79) Flashbang: Flash 9d6 (Sight Group; Additional Sense Group: Hearing Group), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Explosion (Normal (Radius) -1 DC/1"; +1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 80) Mage Blind: Flash 25d6 (Detect Magic), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 81) Aura of Magical Blinding: Flash 11d6 (Detect Magic), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1) (82 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 66 4
0 82) Reverse Gravity: Flight 10", Usable Underwater (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Usable As Attack (+1), Area Of Effect (6" Radius; +1) (80 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 64 [Notes: Usable As Attack Cancel: Flight Powers] 4
0 83) Levitation: Flight 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (4 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 3
0 84) Continual Light: Sight Group Images, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 7
0 85) Magical Picture Show: Sight Group Images (Additional Sense Group: Hearing Group) (15 Active Points); Obviously an Image, Like watching small holograms (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 7 1
0 86) Cloak of Darkness: Sight Group Images, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Only to form Cloak of Darkness (-1), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 7
0 87) Smoke and Flash: Sight Group Images (Additional Sense: Normal Hearing), x2 Radius (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (23 Active Points); Only to Create Stage Magic Smoke and Flash Effects (-1), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 10
0 88) Sunlight: Sight Group Images (+4 to PER Roll), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), x16 Radius (+1) (55 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 24
0 89) Blazing Sword: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (plus STR) (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 36
0 90) Sword of Silver Light: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (plus STR) (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 36
0 91) Lightning Bolt: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 92) Flame Bolt: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 93) Earthen Spike: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6 (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 94) Chain Lightning: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (vs. ED), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (135 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 108
0 95) Magic Missile: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. ED), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (105 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 84
0 96) Star Bolt: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 +1 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 97) Fireball: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 +1 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Explosion (Normal (Radius) -1 DC/1"; +1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 98) Iron Wood Spike: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6 +1 (vs. PD), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), +1 Stun Multiplier (+1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 99) Psychic Bolt: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), +1 Stun Multiplier (+1/2), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense; +1) (82 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 66 4
0 100) Agony: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (vs. ED), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Attack Versus Limited Defense: Power Defense (+1 1/2) (82 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 66 4
0 101) Illusion: Mental Illusions 15d6 (Additional Class of Minds: Alien, Additional Class of Minds: Animal), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (119 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 95 5
0 102) Domination: Mind Control 15d6 (Additional Class of Minds: Aliens, Additional Class of Minds: Animals), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (119 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 95 5
0 103) Voice of the Mind: Mind Link (Any Willing Target; Number of Minds (x8)) (30 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 24
0 104) Sphere of Deflection: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Indirect: Any Location, Any Direction (+3/4), Ranged (Full Range; +1) (65 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 52
0 105) Mental Deflection: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Invisible Power Effects (Sight Group, Hearing Group; +3/4), Indirect: Any location, Any Direction (+3/4), Ranged (Full Range; +1), Based on Ego Combat Value (+1) (90 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 72
0 106) Self Image: Shapeshift (Sight Group; Additional Sense Group: Hearing Group, Imitation, Instant Change, Variety of Shapes: Limited Group of Shapes), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (57 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 46
0 107) Mass Image: Shapeshift (Sight Group; Additional Sense Group: Hearing Group, Imitation, Instant Change, Variety of Shapes: Limited Group of Shapes), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Usable Simultaneously (x8 Number of Targets +1 1/4) (142 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 114
0 108) Touch of Magic: Telekinesis (50 STR), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 109) Magic's Grasp: Telekinesis (33 STR), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 70 4
0 110) Magic Hand: Telekinesis (43 STR) (Fine Manipulation), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (93 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 74 4
0 111) Magnetic Wave: Telekinesis (20 STR), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Sight Group, Hearing Group; +3/4), Area Of Effect Nonselective Target (6" Radius; +3/4) (82 Active Points); Only Affects Ferrous Metals (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 47 4
0 112) Unseen Servant: Telekinesis (10 STR) (Fine Manipulation), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (62 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 50
0 113) Winds of Command: Telekinesis (25 STR), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1) (84 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 67 4
0 114) Read Minds: Telepathy 15d6 (Additional Class of Minds: Aliens, Additional Class of Minds: Animals), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (119 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 95 5
0 115) The Winding Path: Teleportation 15" (Improved Noncombat Movement (x1048576), No Relative Velocity, x8 Increased Mass), Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (262 Active Points); Can Only Teleport To Fixed Locations (Floating Fixed Locations; -1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 150
0 116) Move Through Space: Teleportation 12", Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Usable As Attack (+1) (66 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 53 [Notes: Usable As Attack Cancel: Teleportation Powers, Extra Mass] 3
0 117) Stasis: Transform 5d6: Places Targets into Supended Animation (Major), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 118) Reduce: Transform 5d6: Shrinks Targets to a tiny size (Major), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 119) Medusa Gaze: Transform 5d6: Turns Targets to Stone (Major), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 120) Reverse Stoning: Transform 5d6: Reverses Stoning Spells (Major), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Limited Target: Targets That have been Magically Turned to Stone (Very Limited; -1), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 42 4
0 121) Create Food: Transform 5d6: Creates bland but nutrional food bars (Major), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 122) Oasis: Transform 5d6: Creates Water (Major), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (94 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 75 4
0 123) Fashion Sense: Transform 6d6: Alters the Appearance of Clothes (Cosmetic), Improved Target Group (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (5" Radius; +1) (75 Active Points); Limited Target: Clothes (Limited; -1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 43 3
0 124) Mend: Transform 7d6: Repairs Broken Inanimate Objects (Minor), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (87 Active Points); Limited Target: Broken Objects (Slightly Limited; -1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 58 3
0 125) Bad Luck: Transform 2d6: Curses Target with 3d6 Unluck (Major), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects, Hide effects of Power (Sight Group, Hearing Group; +1 1/2) (82 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 66 4
0 126) Enchant Item: Transform 4d6: Binds magic into prepared magical items (Major), Improved Target Group (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (90 Active Points); Takes time and skill rolls out of combat to create items (-1), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 40 4
0 127) Vermin: Transform 2d6: Transforms Humanoids into Bugs, Rodents or Spiders (Major), Improved Target Group (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Sight Group, Hearing Group; +3/4) (67 Active Points); Limited Target: Living Beings (Slightly Limited; -1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 45 3
0 128) Shape Stone: Transform 7d6: Molds Stone (Minor), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (87 Active Points); Limited Target: Stone (Limited; -1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 50 3
0 129) Shape Metal: Transform 7d6: Molds Metal (Minor), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (87 Active Points); Limited Target: Metals (Limited; -1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 50 3
0 130) Wizard Lock: Transform 7d6: Magically secures locks, doors, windows, boxes (Minor), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (87 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4), Limited Target: Locks, Doors, Windows, etc. (Slightly Limited; -1/4) Real Cost: 58 3
0 131) Knock: Transform 7d6: Unlocks doors, locks, windows, boxes (Minor), Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (87 Active Points); Limited Target: Doors, locks, windows, boxes, etc. (Slightly Limited; -1/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 58 3
0 132) Purify Food and Water: Transform 2d6: Purifies food and water (Minor) (20 Active Points); Limited Target: Food and Water (Limited; -1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) Real Cost: 11 2
0 133) Interpretation: Universal Translator (23 Active Points); Requires A Magic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points -1/4) 18- Real Cost: 18
10 Stamina: +0 STR, Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (10 Active Points) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic) (added to Primary Value)
15 Magically Enhanced Strength: +15 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) (added to Secondary Value)
5 Bravery: +10 PRE (10 Active Points); For Defense Only (-1) (not added to totals)
37 Divine Body: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%, Inherent (+1/4) (37 Active Points)
37 Divine Body: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%, Inherent (+1/4) (37 Active Points)
17 Divine Body: Damage Resistance (12 PD / 12 ED / 3 Power Def.), Inherent (+1/4) (17 Active Points)
30 Sense Magic: Detect Magic 15- (Analyze, Discriminatory, Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree, Range, Rapid (x10), Sense)
5 Mystic Sight: Infrared Perception
5 Eyes of the Night: Nightvision
5 Star Sight: Ultraviolet Perception
5 Psionic Sensing: Mental Awareness
7 High Tech Communicator Card: High Range Radio Perception (12 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense: Sight, Hearing, Radio (-1/2), IIF (-1/4)
30 Divine Power: Life Support (Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents, Longevity: Immortal, Safe in High Pressure, Safe in High Radiation, Safe in Intense Cold, Safe in Intense Heat, Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum), Inherent (+1/4) (30 Active Points)
30 Divine Favor: Luck 6d6
15 Mental Training: +15 Mental Defense (20 points total)
2 Mental Training: Damage Resistance ( / 3 Mental Def.)
19 Divine Body: Power Defense (15 points), Inherent (+1/4) (19 Active Points)
20 Divine Power: Regeneration 2 BODY (Can Heal Limbs), Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (56 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)
25 Fast: Running +9", Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (25 Active Points) (added to Primary Value) 1
3 Fast: Swimming +3" (5" total) (added to Primary Value) 1
10 Branches of the Winding Path: Teleportation: Floating Fixed Location (2 Locations)
20 Along the Winding Path: Teleportation: Fixed Location (20 Locations) [Notes: Boston (apartment), Boston (Fenway Park), Paris, London, Giza Plateau, Millennium City, Los Angeles, Rio de Janerio, New York City, San Francisco, Rome, Seattle, Vibora Bay, Stonehenge, Hong Kong, Cancun, Venice, Athens, Denver, Chicago]
Powers Cost: 1164

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
5 Blackout: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike
5 Dancing Shadow: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike, Full Move
4 Defensive Block: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +3 DCV, Block, Abort
5 Elusive Shadow: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +4 DCV, Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove
5 Evading Throw: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +3 DCV, STR Strike, Target Falls, +v/5
5 Fade: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +3 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike
4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 Martial Escape: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +15 STR vs. Grabs
4 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR Strike, Target Falls, +v/5
4 Night Fist: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, STR +2d6 Strike
4 Night's Embrace: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -2 DCV, Grab 2 Limbs, +15 STR for Holding On
4 Night's Kiss: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +4d6 Crush, Must Follow Grab
5 Power Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, STR +3d6 Strike, Target Falls, +v/5
5 Shadow Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -2 DCV, STR +3d6 Strike, Full Move
5 Shadow's Wrath: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, -2 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike, Full Move
4 Takeaway: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Weapon, +10 STR to Take Weapon Away
5 Total Eclipse: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, -1 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike
2 Weapon Element: Axes, Maces, Hammers, and Picks, Blades
Martial Arts Cost: 79

Cost Skill
3 Acrobatics 14-
3 Acting 15-
9 Analyze: Magic 18-
3 Breakfall 14-
9 Concealment 18-
3 Contortionist 14-
3 Conversation 15-
3 Cryptography 15-
3 Deduction 15-
10 Defense Maneuver: I-IV
3 Fast Draw: Common Mele Weapons 14-
3 Fast Draw: Ranged Magical Powers 14-
3 Fast Draw: Teleportation 14-
3 High Society 15-
53 Magic Skill (INT-based) 40-
12 Navigation (Air, Astral, Dimensional, Land, Marine) 18-
3 Oratory 15-
3 Paramedics 15-
3 Persuasion 15-
3 Seduction 15-
3 Shadowing 15-
11 Sleight Of Hand 18-
11 Stealth 18-
3 Streetwise 15-
9 Spell Research 18-
3 Tactics 15-
5 Teamwork 15-
5 TF: SCUBA, Skating (iceskating or rollerskating), Skiing (snow), Skiing (water), Two-Wheeled Muscle-Powered Ground Vehicles
4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons
9 Weaponsmith (Muscle-Powered HTH, Muscle-Powered Ranged) 18-
5 Rapid Autofire
5 Rapid Attack (HTH)
5 Rapid Attack (Ranged)
10 Two-Weapon Fighting (HTH)
10 Two-Weapon Fighting (Ranged)
40 +5 with All Combat
3 +2 Turn w/Block
3 Jack of All Trades
2 1) PS: Belly Dancing (DEX-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
2 2) PS: Chess (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 3) PS: Dancing (DEX-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
5 4) PS: Exorcism (INT-based) (6 Active Points) 18-
2 5) PS: Exotic Dancing (DEX-based) (3 Active Points) 14-
5 6) PS: Item Enchantment (INT-based) (6 Active Points) 18-
6 7) PS: Magician (DEX-based) (7 Active Points) 18-
2 8) PS: Tarot Cards (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
3 Linguist
1 1) Language: Egyptian: Fluent Conversation (2 Active Points)
1 2) Language: Ancient Greek: Fluent Conversation (2 Active Points)
1 3) Language: Ancient Hebrew: Fluent Conversation (2 Active Points)
1 4) Language: Arabic: Fluent Conversation (2 Active Points)
1 5) Language: Aramaic: Fluent Conversation (2 Active Points)
2 6) Language: French: Completely Fluent, w/Accent (3 Active Points)
1 7) Language: German: Fluent Conversation (2 Active Points)
2 8) Language: Italian: Completely Fluent, w/Accent (3 Active Points)
1 9) Language: Japanese: Fluent Conversation (2 Active Points)
2 10) Language: Latin: Completely Fluent, w/Accent (3 Active Points)
1 11) Language: Mayan: Fluent Conversation (2 Active Points)
3 12) Language: Spanish: Idiomatic, native accent (4 Active Points)
3 Scholar
2 1) KS: Ancient Civilizations (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 2) KS: Ancient Middle Easter Mythology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 3) KS: Arcane and Occult Lore (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 4) KS: Arcane Cults (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 5) KS: Arcane Rituals (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 6) KS: Assiah (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 7) KS: Atlantean Mythology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 8) KS: Atziluth (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 9) KS: Baseball Trivia (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 10) KS: Boston Celtics (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 11) KS: Boston Club Scene (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 12) KS: Boston History (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 13) KS: Boston Red Sox (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 14) KS: Buddhism (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 15) KS: Circle of the Scarlet Moon (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 16) KS: Dance Music (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 17) KS: DEMON (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 18) KS: Demonology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 19) KS: Dimensional Magic (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 20) KS: Drudism (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 21) KS: Egyptian Mythology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 22) KS: Evil Supernatural Organizations (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 23) KS: Good Supernatural Organizations (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 24) KS: Greek Mythology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 25) KS: Incan Mythology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 26) KS: Koran (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 27) KS: Ley Lines Magic (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 28) KS: Magic (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
5 29) KS: Magic Items (INT-based) (6 Active Points) 18-
5 30) KS: Magic Spells (INT-based) (6 Active Points) 18-
2 31) KS: Magic Users (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 32) KS: Magic Writings (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 33) KS: Magical Languages (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 34) KS: Magical Symbols (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
5 35) KS: Magical/Occult World (INT-based) (6 Active Points) 18-
2 36) KS: Mayan Mythology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 37) KS: Mythology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 38) KS: New England Patriots (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 39) KS: Norse Mythology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 40) KS: Sephirothic Tree of Life (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 41) KS: Super Heroes (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 42) KS: Superhuman World (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 43) KS: Supernatural Creatures (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 44) KS: Supervillains (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 45) KS: Tarot Cards (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 46) KS: The Bible (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 47) KS: The Four Zoas (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 48) KS: The Netherworld (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 49) KS: Undead (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 50) KS: Yetzirah (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
3 Scientist
5 1) SS: Alchemy (INT-based) (6 Active Points) 18-
2 2) SS: Anthropology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 3) SS: Archaeology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 4) SS: Astrology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 5) SS: Parapsychology (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
3 Traveler
2 1) AK: Boston (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 2) AK: Dimensional Gates (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 3) AK: Ley Lines (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 4) AK: London (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 5) AK: Los Angeles (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 6) AK: Millennium City (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 7) AK: Mystic Places (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 8) AK: New York City (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 9) AK: Paris (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 10) AK: San Francisco (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
2 11) AK: Vibora Bay (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 15-
Skills Cost: 481

Cost Talent
9 Ambidexterity (Eliminate Off Hand Penalty entirely)
3 Ground Fighting
3 Lightsleep
Talents Cost: 15

Total Character Cost: 1985

Val Disadvantages
15 Dependent NPC: Olivia Silverstone, Normal, 8- (Infrequently), Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID
10 Distinctive Features: Demi-Goddess/Mystic Aura, Not Concealable, Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction, Detectable Only By Unusual Senses
10 Psychological Limitation: Opposes Magical Evil, Common, Moderate
15 Psychological Limitation: Thrillseeker/Fun Loving, Very Common, Moderate
10 Psychological Limitation: Loves the Pursuit of Knowledge/Mysteries, Common, Moderate
5 Psychological Limitation: Loves the Night and Darkness, Uncommon, Moderate
5 Psychological Limitation: Strangely Attracted to Crusade, Uncommon, Moderate
10 Reputation: Witch, Sorceress, Frequently (11-)
15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity: Delilah Sombra, Frequently (11-), Major
10 Watched: Authorities, More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Watching, Extensive Non-Combat Influence

Disadvantage Points: 105

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 1680

Total Experience Available: 1684

Experience Unspent: 4

More ER

Wow, after looking at Shade I can see how implementing a “multiple attack surcharge†could pose problems in a high-powered game. Such characters can have so many different attacks that their ER would shoot through the roof. Though I think that there is a â€point of diminishing returns†with multiple attacks. Maybe the solution isn’t to ignore multiple attacks entirely, but just put a cap on the surcharge. Use a system like I proposed, but it can only increase ER by a fixed maximum amount (5?, 8?, 10?, I’m not sure what the cap should be). This might be a good compromise between both our philosophies.

Congratulations to you and your wife on the new baby. I’m surprised to see you still posting to boards so frequently; I would think you’d have your hands full with your son. You are a dedicated Herophile! :)

Guest Keneton

Whole Crazy Campaign

Shade is one of about 12 Characters with over 1000 earned EP in that campign! Just imagine waht it would be like with no form of rating system.

Please look at this character and truely examine the great detail this sort of tool creates. Notice the dedication to skills and the quality of the character design. I tip my hat to Mitch.:)

I too am enjoying the discussion, but fear we may have killed the thread for anybody else?

I am following your discussion with great interest. I agree that rating gimic powers as if they weren''t limited is a bad thing. My example would be that it penalizes characters who work hard on keeping with a tight concept by limiting powers so that fit.

Example: Flame guy who has 75% damage reduction vs. fire attacks. This fits the concept much better than just an unlimited 75% damage reduction, yet is rated the same.