Can you "pull" PRE?

Brandi

I don't mean a Presence Attack as such, but actually using only a limited amount of one's PRE.

This came from looking at this scan from an old Superman comic; Lana and Lois are trying to "disguise" Clark as Superman, and Superman (partly by dint of an excellent Acting roll, I suspect), is coming off as gawky ol' Clark, with a much lower effective Presence than Superman would have.

Somehow, giving a Superman or analogous writeup a base PRE of 10, with all the rest being bought with "Only in Hero ID" doesn't *quite* fit to me.

How would you folks do it?

Re: Can you "pull" PRE?

You do not have to use the full amount of any stat (though some are harder to justify than others such as CON and BODY) technically.

It's the same as the rule about not needing to always use the full active points of your Powers either.

It follows the same logic that a brick doesn't use his full STR all the time.

Khronos has, by default, 15 PRE. I gave him the Will of the Titans +25 PRE charateristic, linked to his Might of the Titans (Growth) power.

Because, as part of his shtick, he keeps one level of Growth on, he has 40 PRE only when he's playing hero.

Because only powers that cost END can be pushed (5ER 427), I would think the same would apply to characteristics.

Now if your PRE costs END to use, maybe.

Or this:

Presence Push: +10 PRE (10 Active Points), Costs END (-1/2), 10x END (-4). Real Cost: 2 pts.

Clark Kent's nerdiness might be described as simple acting. I favor the SFX of Secret ID, myself, so I guess that makes me a handwaver on the subject.

OTOH, I have heard some say that the whole eyeglasses disguise thing is a psychic ability. I never like that approach, personally.