Partially Limited and Power Frameworks... I'm deeply confused

Derek Hiemforth

Question

Hi Steve -

I thought I knew how this worked, but now I'm not so sure...

5ER page 282, in discussing partially-Limited Powers, mentions that "You can also apply this effect to Advantages, Adders, Power Frameworks, and parts of a Power."

However, 5ER page 312, in discussing partially-Limited Powers in relation to Power Frameworks, says, "A character can have a partially-Limited power in a Power Framework slot ... He cannot partly Limit a Framework's reserve or base cost, however."

I had thought there was a FAQ entry indicating that the second interpretation is correct (though I can't find such an entry now). However, in reading through Vibora Bay today, I noticed that on VB page 103, Robert Caliburn has a VPP that *is* bought partially-Limited, with a 40-point Pool normally, then an additional 20 points that come from a Focus and are only for Fire Magic.

So now I'm confused again. :)

Is partially-Limiting a Framework's reserve (base cost, pool) allowed or not? Or is it a "GM-permission" kind of deal, and Caliburn got GM-permission? (Probably by threatening to shoot the GM if he didn't... ;) )

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Re: Partially Limited and Power Frameworks... I'm deeply confused

Since I'm away from home at Origins without my books and notes I can't answer this right now -- I'll do so next week when I return from the con. If I don't post an answer by Tuesday, ping me with a PM to remind me. ;)