Genre-crossover nightmares

AdamLeisemann

Re: Genre-crossover nightmares

Encore Westerns showed a New Years marathon of the show Wagon Train. I was thinking the show lasted 8 seasons. How does a trip of Missouri to California take 8 years? Was it the Flying Dutchman of Wagon trains? When they got to California did they have to avoid getting hit by a Model T? Did the Civil War vets among them upon making it to CA re-enlist to fight the Nazis?

Course, I guess it got dragged out like a Season of 24. Maybe Jack Bauer as wagon master.

*crossing river being pursued by bandits*

Jack Bauer: We're running out of time!!!

If you think Wagon Train was bad' date=' try M.A.S.H. The Korean war lasted 3 years, MASH lasted 11.[/quote']This is a mistake made by many: equating real-world time with in-show time. A book on M*A*S*H, for example, broke down all of the episodes in order, put them back-to-back on a day-to-day basis (with selected exceptions, such as one where the action was spread through an entire year), and showed how they all fit into the actual time frame of the Korean War.

I still read of commentators objecting to Law & Order saying that "in reality, crimes are not solved in just an hour," clearly ignoring the series of dates shown in every episode (or nearly so) spreading the action over a much longer period of time -- sometimes a couple of days, sometimes several weeks, for the "Law" half of the program.

This is a mistake made by many: equating real-world time with in-show time. A book on M*A*S*H, for example, broke down all of the episodes in order, put them back-to-back on a day-to-day basis (with selected exceptions, such as one where the action was spread through an entire year), and showed how they all fit into the actual time frame of the Korean War.

I still read of commentators objecting to Law & Order saying that "in reality, crimes are not solved in just an hour," clearly ignoring the series of dates shown in every episode (or nearly so) spreading the action over a much longer period of time -- sometimes a couple of days, sometimes several weeks, for the "Law" half of the program.

If we're going to talk about time distortions...

A recent episode of NCIS: Los Angeles (OK, that's not the name, I can't remember the name, but it was set in Los Angeles) had the agents drive from downtown LA to Malibu, interview a subject, then drive back to downtown in less than an hour on a weekday afternoon. Having lived in LA, I know this is physically impossible.

In a similar fasion, a episode of '24' had Jack Bauer drive from one end of LA to the other in considerably less than an hour.

As for MASH, I was making a joke. If each episode covered one day*, you'd only cover less than a year of the war.

For crime shows, doing the paperwork to report a crime can take longer than an hour. But that would make boring television.

*(time distortion: Some episodes cover many days, but don't show all the events. Episodes could easily overlap, with each one covering a different subject during the same week)

A Build-Your-Own-Bear shop run by Dr. Frankenstein. With real bear parts.

No Ordinary Family Matters

Gulliver's Travels with Charley

Candy and Flowers for Algernon

Harry Potter and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Colonel Potter and the Deathly Hallows

WWE Smackdown Babies

Studio wrestling for children

Scott Pilgrim vs. the Tick

This is a mistake made by many: equating real-world time with in-show time. A book on M*A*S*H, for example, broke down all of the episodes in order, put them back-to-back on a day-to-day basis (with selected exceptions, such as one where the action was spread through an entire year), and showed how they all fit into the actual time frame of the Korean War.

I can buy it for MASH (barely), but it was hard to buy for Wagon Train. I believe I figured out it would be a ratio of more than 1 episode per day of travel. Which I suppose is doable, but would be hell to tie it all together. (which I dont think was the point in a 50s show to begin with)

Heck, MASH and Wagon Train make more sense than Lost. I read the synopsis of the last episode and just got more confused.

If we're going to talk about time distortions...

A recent episode of NCIS: Los Angeles (OK, that's not the name, I can't remember the name, but it was set in Los Angeles) had the agents drive from downtown LA to Malibu, interview a subject, then drive back to downtown in less than an hour on a weekday afternoon. Having lived in LA, I know this is physically impossible.

In a similar fasion, a episode of '24' had Jack Bauer drive from one end of LA to the other in considerably less than an hour.

As for MASH, I was making a joke. If each episode covered one day*, you'd only cover less than a year of the war.

For crime shows, doing the paperwork to report a crime can take longer than an hour. But that would make boring television.

*(time distortion: Some episodes cover many days, but don't show all the events. Episodes could easily overlap, with each one covering a different subject during the same week)

Heh, in actuality, I dont care much if I am watching the show and like it. But, I will make fun of time distortion later. It's like fun.

A Build-Your-Own-Bear shop run by Dr. Frankenstein. With real bear parts.

No Ordinary Family Matters

Gulliver's Travels with Charley

Candy and Flowers for Algernon

Harry Potter and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Colonel Potter and the Deathly Hallows

WWE Smackdown Babies

Studio wrestling for children

Scott Pilgrim vs. the Tick

So will Undertaker baby be like Baby Animal?

Heh' date=' in actuality, I dont care much if I am watching the show and like it. But, I will make fun of time distortion later. It's like fun.[/quote']

Heh, yes. Lots of stuff I like give me fun later when I poke the holes in the logic.

The stuff I don't like, I poke the holes in it as I watch.

MASH: Comedy about war, lasted longer than war, fun to watch, fun to note errors later.

24: "Comedy" about terrorism, unrealistic, fun to mock during.