-31 Stun

Re: -31 Stun

Found it' date=' thanks y'all. I almost want -31 to equal 'death' but that seems harsh.[/quote']

Death or "death"? Certainly a person who is at that level could be mistaken for dead. (see: Death of Superman). Ordinarily at a minimum though I have the character incapacitated for a couple of days, which can stretch into months if the player isn't available.

Death is a little harsh' date=' but I've seen house rule variants that turn every -10 after the -30 mark into 1 BODY. You just can't go around hitting Normals with 20d6 attacks, even if they're STUN only.[/quote']

Doesn't that kind of make them not, uh, Stun Only?

Seems like an awfully silly rule. Why would it suddenly start doing real damage when it's just a stungun?

Doesn't that kind of make them not, uh, Stun Only?

Seems like an awfully silly rule. Why would it suddenly start doing real damage when it's just a stungun?

It's not a house rule that I use, but I have played in games that use it. I think the theory is that by knocking someone far enough unconscious that the brain and other vital organs will start to flatline.

I've usually seen -31 or worse as Coma Time. Not Death' date=' but close - you wake up when the GM says you wake up.[/quote']

Well, since it's dubbed 'GM's option (a long time)', that's pretty accurate. :)

(I have had one bad GM who decided that a villain knocked to GM's option could, and often would, immediately spring back up and (usually) XDM to escape. Game didn't last long.)

That confused some players in the d20 campaign - in a one on one against a major villain' date=' he got to single digit HP and just suddenly upped and ran (full withdrawl) which is totally legal - although it caused some confusion at the time.[/quote']

That's not confusing, that's just smart.

Confusing would be telling the PCs that they landed the killing blow, declaring him officially dead, then having him spring back up intact and travel to another plane all in the space of one round with no real explanation beyond 'he has to get away'. :)

I've generally seen it as "will not wake up in time to have any impact on the conflict", but I wouldn't consider a character comatose until they're well below -31.

Note that a character moves one category up the table if someone actively assists in his recovery. On this basis, no matter how negative his STUN, the character should be able to recover once a minute as long as someone devotes full time and attention to waking him up. If you're at -100 STUN and have a 4 recovery, that's 18 recoveries (18 minutes of full-time attention) to get to 28 STUN, 2 turns to get to -20, and evrey phase after that, so 20 minutes. That's a pretty low REC and a lot of negative STUN.

A simple rule could be one step up the time chart for every added -10, so every 5 minutes at -31 to 40, then 20 minutes, hour, etc. That would also increase the time with someone assisting the chatacter. To me, however, once it's once per minute, even with someone assisting you, the exact duration makes little real difference.

CC - we got into a rules argument over whether what I did was 'legal' or in fact, 'letting him get away.' Turns out it was (is) legal - at the time, though, there was a lot of "I should get an attack of opportunity!" and such back and forth. Had to look it up, big mess. But yes, that was the SMART choice for the villain. Going to neg stun then magically getting up is just lame.

Rule One: If you don't want your villain to get squashed, either a) make sure he doesn't encounter the PCs, or B) make sure the PCs don't know he's the villain.

we always called this "Post GM", meaning, won't wake up till there is a time gap in the adventure or an outside influence (another character etc.) comes into play.

Funnily, we have adapted this to other games when someone is knocked way out, hehe.

Generally, if it hinged on a Skill Roll, I applied an additional -1 to Paramedic/Medicine roll for every 10 points further in the hole the patient's STUN was. You can beat someone to the point where the best doctor in the best equipped hospital can't rouse that patient and the patient's only getting recoveries once/month.