Immortal Packiage Deal

tkdguy

If the press found out about it, then the general population has already been informed. This brings to mind several questions:

1. What is the public's reaction? Will people even believe the report as credible or just tabloid sensationalism? If they believe the report, how do they react? Superheroes exist already, but having powerful people saving the world is one thing. Having people who beheadi one another to gain ultimate power is another.

2. What is the government's reaction? Will the different law enforcement agencies arrest evey immortal they know about for murder? Remember, they have a Watcher chronicle on hand. Will they force immortals to be registered, like the Mutant Registration Act in the X-Men? And what about the Watchers? They could be charged as accessories to murder for not reporting the killings, or aiding and abetting a criminal if they helped hide the dead bodies.

3. How do the immortals react? Many will already be unhappy about learning that certain mortals have been spying on them for centuries. Now their carefully guarded secret is out in the open. The police are breathing down their necks. The paparazzi are filing through their garbage. And people in general are staring at them, pointing a them, and avoiding them; and those are just the mild reactions. And relationships will change, if not end, when someone is revealed to be immortal; it happened in the series.

That's a lot of stuff happening in the campaign. Add to all this the fact that someone leaked out the info to the press. If PRIMUS didn't, who did? There's a lot of roleplaying opportunity there, and I find the concept interesting, but I suggest looking at the consequences before things get out of hand. Otherwise, you'll end up with a big mess and a big headache. Still, it may be fun finding out.

Hi all,

Good questions again from tkdguy. The Immortal whose chronicle was found by the police has been one for only three months. The only other Immortal mentioned in his chronicle was his mentor, Gabrielle, a skilled teacher and swordswoman with shoulder-length blonde hair. There were other documents there, but none named any other Immortals or Watchers.

The man who leaked the news to the press was the Clark County sherrif, who describes Immortals as being "Freaks, like all other metahumans and PRIMUS".

The press are, in general, treating it like a joke, but one tabloid is offering rewards for true stories about Immortals. So far, nobody has taken them up on the offer. If PRIMUS is looking into the matter, they haven't said anything.

In case you're interested Gabrielle is the same one that accompanied Xena on her adventures. Methos told her about the Watchers when he found her and taught her about life as an Immortal. Since she was better with a sword than Methos, Xena taught Gabrielle how to fight with a sword. She knows who her Watcher is and believes in what she's doing. If you're a fan of the TV series "Tremors" you know Gabrielle as Nancy.

Yours,

Mark Rand

• 1 year later...

Re: Immortal Packiage Deal

As you know, I had the secret of Immortals exposed to the world and I finally figured out how to do it.

The renagade Watchers group known as the Hunters send computer disks with information to the police and television stations, exposing the Immortals and claiming that they're a threat to the world.

One last thing, the prise is simple. You become mortal and can have children.

Mark . .

1st off, the Hunters tried to expose the Immortals in the series (some where around the 4th season I think). Duncan and the bunch stopped them, if I recall. (Note: I can't really remember off hand since I seem to have to warring memories right now. One is that they were able to stop them the other is that they didn't manage to stop them but that that storyline was either forgotten or just plain dropped by the writers).

Secondly, the "Prize" isn't really as cut and dry as you're making it out. No one *knows* what the prize is and in your world it may be becoming "mortal and having children" but even in the Original Highlander movie, that wasn't all that Conner got.

The "Prize" changed in the TV series to a "We just don't know WHAT will happen but the One will have all the power of all the immortals that have ever lived." So -- that could be just about anything.

I, personally, kinda like the idea of an "ambiguous" prize. Sorta why I liked it WAY better when they were keeping Wolverines origan a mystery. I feel it adds something to the whole "Immortal" thing . . can't really put a finger on what right now but I think it's a certain ambiance.

Mark . .

1st off, the Hunters tried to expose the Immortals in the series (some where around the 4th season I think). Duncan and the bunch stopped them, if I recall. (Note: I can't really remember off hand since I seem to have to warring memories right now. One is that they were able to stop them the other is that they didn't manage to stop them but that that storyline was either forgotten or just plain dropped by the writers).

Secondly, the "Prize" isn't really as cut and dry as you're making it out. No one *knows* what the prize is and in your world it may be becoming "mortal and having children" but even in the Original Highlander movie, that wasn't all that Conner got.

The "Prize" changed in the TV series to a "We just don't know WHAT will happen but the One will have all the power of all the immortals that have ever lived." So -- that could be just about anything.

I, personally, kinda like the idea of an "ambiguous" prize. Sorta why I liked it WAY better when they were keeping Wolverines origan a mystery. I feel it adds something to the whole "Immortal" thing . . can't really put a finger on what right now but I think it's a certain ambiance.

Good points.

Taking a page from another posting on this thread, the Vorlons and Shadows created the Immortals for their own purposes. They decided that thje prize would be mortality, but they didn't tell the Immortals that.

As far as the Hunters go, they could easily have been reformed, or just driven underground.

One other thought: Tying this to my Buffy thread and superhero campaign universe, the Game is all a sham. The Powers That Be created the Immortals as their champions and the demonic senior partners of Wolfram and Hart created the game to rob humanity of its champions and either created or recreated the Hunters.

That sounds like something the Shadow would do but I don't know if the Vorlons would. I mean, look at some of the stuff they did to begin with. In any case, it is a nifty idea.

Yup, nothing says the Hunters couldn't be reformed. Joe DID kill the frothing lunatic that was their founder but that doesn't mean they couldn't have either found another one or another one didn't surface on their own.

Again, the Buffy/Angel idea with the Powers That Be is cool but I have one question. Why are you trying to make it so that the Prize is jack nothing? It seems like you're giving your players/storyline a real good start and then kicking the chair out from under them as their sitting down.

Having Wolfram and Hart create or corrupt some of the Immortals to fight on their side is good but basically doing a bait and switch sounds like cheese to me and would really annoy me if I were playing.

PS: No PC should ever think they are getting The Prize since A) It's almost impossible to do and B) I don't think a campaign would go that long (although I've been proven wrong before).

In any case, it would make sense that there's something phenomenal at the end of The Game not just a "HA HA!!! Fooled you!!!"

Before I forget, in my version, The Gathering is the Ragnarock (sp), the final battle between good and evil.

The good side will include good Immortals and Slayers and be led by a group of men and women who are either the reincarnates or actual members of the greatest group of heroes ever, The Knights of the Order of the Table Round.

The evil side will include evil Immortals, demons, and vampires. The Wolf, Ram, and Hart will lead them.

Paige:

The "big deal" is either you really like the movie/idea/concept or you don't. It's one of those "cult classic" type movies. Although, if you feel up to it, you can probably rent Highlander: The Series at your local video store. It's the series that really fleshs things out, and if you can overlook some of the inconsistancies between movie and TV show, it gives you a good look into the world of the Immortals.

Mark:

Oh, well, if the PC's aren't going to be Immortal then it's no big deal. :)

Paige:

The "big deal" is either you really like the movie/idea/concept or you don't. It's one of those "cult classic" type movies. Although, if you feel up to it, you can probably rent Highlander: The Series at your local video store. It's the series that really fleshs things out, and if you can overlook some of the inconsistancies between movie and TV show, it gives you a good look into the world of the Immortals.

Mark:

Oh, well, if the PC's aren't going to be Immortal then it's no big deal. :)

I know, that is what I really don't understand. Normally I LIKE all the classic geek stuff. I like Star Trek/Star Wars, Monthy Python, Red Dwarf, D&D, Hero System, old Nes games, Death Race 2000, and all the other classic nerd stuff, but this just didn't excite me. Perhaps it was just the whole feel of it, felt like a forgettable 80s action flick, but without any of the good 80s stuff, and even the swords couldn't make up for that.

Wow! I thought this thread died a long time ago. May it's immortal too.

Just a couple of points here: The Hunters didn't try to expose immortals. The grieving widow of a Watcher killed by an immortal attempted to do so. She was killed by her husband's murderer, Kalas, who threatened to expose everyone if Duncan MacLeod didn't let him take his head. This was the two-part season 3 finale (titled "Finale" appropriately enough).

Vanguard makes a good point about nobody knowing what the Prize is now. Originally, the Prize was simple mortality. Immortals could have children in the original script, but they were mortal. That idea was nixed before the final draft.

And those who are new to this thread and want to see more, allow me to not so humbly suggest looking at the Highlander Hero thread I put up last January.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12257

Mark,

Ever think of writing your world up and putting it on a website? I'd love to see how everything connects...

Actually, I have no idea how to set a website up. Heck, I don't even know how to insert my replies between questions or comments from you folks.

But then, I'm a 54-year old ex-AD&D DM who loves Champions.