Around the World With A New Character Each Week

tribe

Re: Around the World With A New Character Each Week

I have 2 sugestions for the Black Rhino character:

- "Fabrice" is a French name, not Portuguese so you might think about changing that name (maybe to Francisco or Fernando). You might use Fabricio (that's a Portuguese version of Fabrice), but it's mainly used in Brazil.

Thanks for that! I am hoping that people in the know will actually point these things out. I actually took the name Fabrice from the Angolan soccer team. :doi: I think I'll change it to Fernando. There'll be an update tonight or tomorrow.

- Some plot ideas for European gamers could involve Black Rhino coming to Europe in the trail of the "blood diamonds" - diamonds extracted by slaves from rebel-controlled areas, sold outside the legal markets. The money from these "blood diamonds" is then used to buy more weapons; spread more corruption, etc...

Or he could just try and take out some of the legal mining companies - they operate like small nations inside Angola, with private armies (mercenaires, lol) and such.

Just my 2 cents :smoke:

Excellent ideas. I'll add them to the update.

I'm actually running a European game (set in Venice) so Black Rhino could make an appearance. I'm always on the look out for criminal activities and diamonds are a nice hook for the female characters of the game. :thumbup:

Have some rep!

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: #5 BLACK RHINO (Angola)

A few suggestions--and I hope you don't mind the somewhat nit-picking nature of some of them:

Take the Grappling Hook out of the Utility Harness multipower. As it is now, he has to turn off everything else, including the Flash Defenses and the HRRP, to use the Grappling Hook. I'd say: make the G. H. a separate power, drop the pool on the multipower to just enough to run two powers together. YMMV

Shouldn't the Ammunition - Horn Blades in the Wrist Launcher multipower have Charges?

Regarding the Power Cells; I think the powers that draw off that END Reserve as supposed to say they do.

I believe "+4 with Wrist Blaster" should read "+4 with Wrist Launcher".

Wouldn't "Psychological Limitation: The Ends Justify The Means" sound better as "Psychological Limitation: Believes The Ends Justify The Means"?

"looks as if he is being beaten or corners," should be "looks as if he is being beaten or cornered,"

It is not until the last sentence we find out what his "out of costume" identity is (and then only the sketchiest information about it). I think it would be better, more readable and less confusing, if this information was given earlier, and with some "flavorful" details.

All in all, another terrific job. :thumbup:

Re: #5 BLACK RHINO (Angola)

A few suggestions--and I hope you don't mind the somewhat nit-picking nature of some of them:

Work in progress needs those nitpicks.

Take the Grappling Hook out of the Utility Harness multipower. As it is now' date=' he has to turn off everything else, including the Flash Defenses and the HRRP, to use the Grappling Hook. I'd say: make the G. H. a separate power, drop the pool on the multipower to just enough to run two powers together. YMMV[/quote']

I agree. I was wondering how to get the grappling hook into the belt. He does have swinging so he can get around, but he didn't have the ability to climb. I don't know if he would have enough points left to have the grappling hook outside of the MP, so I'll have another look at him and maybe drop the hook. There's probably not that much to climb anyway. :straight:

Shouldn't the Ammunition - Horn Blades in the Wrist Launcher multipower have Charges?

In reality, yeah, but I wanted to give him a general attack that wouldn't run out. I don't think Batman runs out of his batorangs very often, and I wanted to reflect this in the character.

On the other hand I also wanted Black Rhino to be a fairly hard-pressed character with his back regularly against the wall, so if he did run out of charges it might be a good (character) thing.

I'll make some changes.

Regarding the Power Cells; I think the powers that draw off that END Reserve as supposed to say they do.

I believe "+4 with Wrist Blaster" should read "+4 with Wrist Launcher".

Wouldn't "Psychological Limitation: The Ends Justify The Means" sound better as "Psychological Limitation: Believes The Ends Justify The Means"?

"looks as if he is being beaten or corners," should be "looks as if he is being beaten or cornered,"

It is not until the last sentence we find out what his "out of costume" identity is (and then only the sketchiest information about it). I think it would be better, more readable and less confusing, if this information was given earlier, and with some "flavorful" details.

Thanks Basil. Another great critique. Have to admit that his secret ID only came to me at the end.

#6 SAND DRAGON (Antigua and Barbuda)

The picturesque tropical islands of Antigua and Barbuda also include a little island called Lagarto (lizard) which turns out to be more than just an island. It's also an alien entity which plummeted to Earth over one hundred and fifty years ago and has been eating wayward sailors and tourists ever since.

Sand Dragon is a combination of Krakoa the Living Island and a giant Sand Lion (those insects which lie under sand and wait for an unsuspecting ant to wander past before flicking sand at it and bringing it down into the maws of death... yeah, loved them as a kid). Also has a kind of Sarlaac Pit feel to it from Return of the Jedi.

Anyway, here is the latest character - a villain, but one who can't really chase after you. She's an island. She can't move.

Character Sheet

Hero Designer File

sanddragon.jpg

And here are the original dice rolls...

Step One: Antigua and Barbuda

Step Two: (3) Single Character

Step Three: (4) Female

Step Four: (6) Villain

Step Five: (20) Roll Twice - (4) Energy Projector (12) Metamorph

Step Six: (6) 600 points (400 points +200 Disadvantages)

Step Seven: (5) 18XP

Step Eight: (4) Modern Era

Excellent and original. :)

Only thing I can see I'd change is:

"-4 Tremors: DCV, -4 Tremors: OCV," to "Tremors: -4 DCV, Tremors: -4 OCV". Also, I would rename "Alien Intelligence" to "Alien Awareness"; YMMV

Re: Beauty Is In The Eye Of The... Sand Dragon?

I was actually referring to her COM of 2. While she can manifest an horrific form she can also look great right? I tend to think that shapeshifting makes COM a bit irrelevant.

Her COM is actually 14, but I agree that shapechanging kind of negates base COM scores.

The scores are in the right hand column, costs in the left hand one.

#7 ABEL (Argentina)

I've been thinking about a Private Investigation Agency called Reddy, Willing and Abel for a while now (ever since remembering an Australian Tv series of the same name back in the late 1980s or early 1990s - can't remember exactly!). This character is Abel - one of the three principal investigators.

He is also a solo hero and has a habit of challenging other heroes into giving up their secret IDs - and if they refuse he tends to uncover them anyway and reveal it to the world. You can't trust someone wearing a mask!

Character Sheet

Hero Designer File

abel.jpg

And here are the original dice rolls...

Step One: Argentina

Step Two: (4) Single Character

Step Three: (1) Male

Step Four: (2) Hero (At last I roll a hero - Ben)

Step Five: (9) Martial Artist

Step Six: (3) 350 points (175 Base + 175 Disadvantages)

Step Seven: (5) 17XP

Step Eight: (1) Modern Era

Next up is Armenia and then .... well, I think I'll insert one for Atlantis and then Home Sweet Home Australia!

#8 SKY QUEEN (Armenia)

A super-strong flying Armenian woman who enjoys laying waste to Turkish cities on weekends, shopping in Paris during the week (without having to actually pay for anything) and a quite game of cards on Friday nights with silver-skinned businessmen (read:

Sterling of the mercenary outfit: TITAN).

Has experience working as a mercenary (although has had several incidents of changing employers mid-assignment) as well as working for governments such as Russia.

SKY QUEEN

Character Sheet (HTM)

Hero Designer File (HDC)

skyqueen.jpg

The dice rolls were...

Step One: Armenia

Step Two: (2) Single Character

Step Three: (5) Female

Step Five: (1) Brick

Step Six: (5) 450 points (300 Base + 150 Disadvantages)

Step Seven: (3) No Experience

Step Eight: (3) Modern Era

It's a fun idea that you have there. I may steal some of your characters for my "All The World's Supers" project which I started some time ago and am still working on. Actually I thought that I would need help with character ideas but, after starting with Australia and moving through Oceania, Asia, The Middle East,Russia and Europe as far as Italy so far I have found few problems with coming up with characters. I have only been writing up the heros with only names and brief descriptions of the villains (including their powers) and have been stealing ideas from just about everywhere (Champions suplements, other game systems, comics etc) as I don't intend to ever get it published.

It's a fun idea that you have there. I may steal some of your characters for my "All The World's Supers" project which I started some time ago and am still working on. Actually I thought that I would need help with character ideas but' date=' after starting with Australia and moving through Oceania, Asia, The Middle East,Russia and Europe as far as Italy so far I have found few problems with coming up with characters. I have only been writing up the heros with only names and brief descriptions of the villains (including their powers) and have been stealing ideas from just about everywhere (Champions suplements, other game systems, comics etc) as I don't intend to ever get it published.[/quote']

Next stop is Sydney, Australia. I'm creating an organisation called Southern Cross International headed by the time-displaced great-grandson of a current day villain who has come back to our 'present' to come up with a vaccine for a virus which kills the world's supers in the future.

Well, it'll make more sense once I write it up. :thumbup:

If you're looking for more international characters or ideas for your project have a look at Uberworld. That was one of our main purposes - to generate non-American heroes and villains.

Not to thread jack, but if you're interested in international, non-USA American super villains, I have two threads with full teams from outside the USA, including vehicles, robots, etc. The Defilers are a Japanese and Chinese organization with a threat level a bit above Eurostar, and are active throughout Asia, including Australia. The Five are the villain group I'll be using in GenCon this year, and can be used almost anywhere.

Re: #8 SKY QUEEN (Armenia)

A super-strong flying Armenian woman who enjoys laying waste to Turkish cities on weekends' date=' shopping in Paris during the week (without having to actually pay for anything) and a quite game of cards on Friday nights with silver-skinned businessmen (read:

Sterling of the mercenary outfit: TITAN).

Just a couple of nits:

1) "but she moves around so much in and our of Armenia," should, of course, read "but she moves around so much in and out of Armenia,"

2) The "Background" section mentions her reticence near the beginning and at the end. Twice is, IMO, once too many.

Other than those, I can see nothing wrong with this. As before, your work is fantastic. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#9 SOUTHERN CROSS INTERNATIONAL (Australia)

southerncrossinternational.jpg

This is a medical/scientific organisation which is based in Australia, with branches in New Zealand and Brazil as well. It does a lot of good, especially in the areas of medical research, developing vaccines, as well as the development of high technology such as the OLGA Bot which assists in hazardous rescue missions.

There are four main members of the organisation, but as you'll find out, it's not really as easy as that.

tempus.jpg

TEMPUS

Character Sheet (HTM)

The Founder of the organisation is a time traveller from 2082 who has come to our era so he will have time to develop a vaccine for a nasty retro-virus which targets the ubergene (metagene) and results in even nastier deaths. In his time, most of the super heroes were killed within a week and it was suggested that they would all be dead within six months. So he came to 1982 with a temporal ring, started up the Southern Cross International organisation to assist him finding a cure - as well as part-time adventuring as Tempus.

But there's a complication or two.

First, he is the great grandson of a current day villain, Professor Quake, and it was Quake who actually unleashed the retrovirus. And two, every now and then a new version of Tempus is born, as a side effect of travelling back in time. So Tempus currently has four versions of himself. The original is now 64, the second one is 44, the third (and current holder of the name Tempus) is 24 and there is also a 4 year old. He will keep generating a new baby version of himself every twenty years. Weird.

dingo.jpg

DINGO

Character Sheet (HTM)

Then there is Dingo. He used to be a werewolf-style mutant hero, as well as an intelligence officer with ASIO, but he volunteered to lose his powers after a vicious attack on a civilian and is now a regular kind of guy who heads up the security division of Southern Cross International.

enigma.jpg

ENIGMA AND THE O.L.G.A. BOTS

Enigma Character Sheet (HTM)

O.L.G.A. Bot Character Sheet (HTM)

A mutant inventor (a la Forge) who comes up with nifty designs such as the neutraliser which took away Dingo's powers, the Power Suit of Southern Cross and the O.L.G.A. Bots - large mecha which assist with rescue missions and clean up after disasters or superhuman brawls.

Enigma thinks that Tempus has an ulterior motive and has begun helping Professor Quake in his quest to bring the organisation down. She is worried that Tempus is trying to work out a way to kill all ubers, rather than saving them. Maybe Tempus should just come clean and tell people what he's really up to!

razorback.jpg

RAZORBACK

Character Sheet (HTM)

A young doctor with a pig's head. Ryan was born a 'Pig Boy' (dubbed by the newspapers) and really has low self esteem. Part of his mutant powers enables him to withstand most diseases and toxins so he is an invaluable member of Southern Cross International's Infectious Diseases Unit.

He also may be the missing link in Tempus' quest for a cure.

Wow... that took a long time. My fingers are sore!

Blogger has crashed so I haven't been able to get Razorback up on the Blog Site yet, but I will tomorrow. And I'll do the edits as suggested by my mate Basil.

Next up is Austria!

Cheers.

OK, I can understand SCI have a branch in New Zealand, but why Brasil? Or perhaps I should say, if Brasil, why not Papua-New Guinea, Tonga, Indonesia, Nauru, and other nearer places?

Just curious. :)

The easy answer is that those three countries all have the southern cross in their flags.

:P

The other answer is that the main reason SCI was established was to find a vaccine for the retro-virus which was unleashed by Professor Quake (sometime). Professor Quake (famously) destroyed Rio de Janeiro so Tempus decided it might be worthwhile investigating the area for potential leaks of the virus in case it was released during the attack on Rio.

There are a lot of paradox problems obviously.

SCI actually started the Southern Knights, which had Professor Quake as a member, who then (in the future) became responsible for the virus being released which then led to Tempus returning to the past... to set up SCI and the Southern Knights...

I don't think I'll do another time traveller any time soon!

#10 BLIZZARD (Austria)

blizzard.jpg

BLIZZARD

She radiates a field of cold powerful enough to shatter solid objects. And what she can't shatter with the field of cold is easily brought down by her thunderous kicks as a tae kwon do master.

Blizzard is the damaged former side kick to Double Eagle.

All she wants to do is cause enough damage and destruction to bring out her former mentor - and then she plans to finish him for good and prove that she has become the master.

Character Sheet (HTM)

The original rolls for this character:

Step One: Austria

Step Two: (1) Single Character

Step Three: (6) Female

Step Five: (8) Martial Artist

Step Six: (4) 350 points (200 Base + 150 Disadvantages)

Step Seven: (4) 9XP

Step Eight: (4) Modern Era

#11 Div and Uzan (Azerbaijan)

It's been a tough week, but the dynamic duo from Azerbaijan are here for display. Looking at them I think you'll be able to tell it was a weird week in my world.

They look odd... like muppets. :doi:

DIV (demon on the left) and UZAN (kid with the egg-head on the right!)

div.jpguzan.jpg

Div's Character Sheet and Uzan's Character Sheet available.

I'll be moving into the Bs this week, so one letter down and 25 to go. And no more muppets - at least in the forseeable future. Promise!

• 2 weeks later...

#12 Domino

Dominic Moxey, aka Domino, is a people smuggler based in the Bahamas and deals with refugees coming from Cuba and further south throughout the Caribbean and South America.

He is a hard-hearted mercenary as Domino, but balances that aspect of his personality with a flirtatious party-animal secret ID.

He is listed as a villain, but really he could be played as an anti-hero depending on the circumstances, but the way I've conceived him he really is heartless and cold.

domino.jpg

DOMINO Character Sheet (HTM)

The next character is almost done. He's an energy blaster from Bahrain and is composed of x-rays (in the comic tradition rather than the real science-based reality). I'll have him up in a few days.

#13 X-RAY (Bahrain)

Hot on the heels of the Bahamas is Bahrain. I've finished the young Bahraini hero X-Ray and have him here for your perusal now.

Taking his colour-scheme from the Hulk villain X-Ray (of the U-Foes) this hero is sort of composed of x-rays but the exact nature of his energy form is unknown.

xray.jpg

X-RAY

Character Sheet