NAZI Villians

L.Craig

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: NAZI Villians

Dr. Destroyer had some ties to the Nazis in his background, though I don't remember off hand if he was officially a Nazi. I'm not sure about any others either, though someone like Teleios (sp?) might easily be embraced by a particularly twisted Neo-Nazi group based on both his appearance (an aryan posterchild if there ever was one) and his ideals.

If you're talking about the modern-day Champions Universe, I know of at least one true Nazi: Panzer, a powered-armor would-be conqueror of Germany. See Champions Worldwide, pp. 123-24.

Of course there were a number of them during the Golden Age, but for the most part we'll have to wait for the 5E version of Golden Age Champions to view them. I know that Der Sturmvogel, first recorded superhuman of the modern era, is written up in an issue of Digital Hero, but I don't remember which one offhand.

If you are willing to go back to 4th ed' date=' there is a medium-sized gallery of Nazi Villains, with [b']Golden Age Champions[/b] being an ideal source.

Yeah, but Golden Age Champions was SO tongue in cheek as to be almost useless for a "straight" game. Don't get me wrong; there was a whole lot that was well done about that sourcebook, and it remains one of my favorite purchases ever. But while the writer captured the goofy essence of the actual Golden Age stuff quite well, the book didn't provide enough OTHER material for people who wanted to run a more serious Golden Age campaign. I mean, even in the Silver Age, the All Star Squadron and other comics paid homage to the Golden Age setting and character-stylings while still utilizing the more complex subplots ("Marvel style") of the seventies and eighties. Just because I run a game set in World War II doesn't mean I want every supervillain to be a running joke.

I'd love to see the 5th edition of Golden Age Champions treat the subject with a little more depth and consideration.

Tell me a store that stocks it and I will purchase it ASAP.

It is only available in PDF at the moment.

Not so. The HERO 5E version of The Algernon Files: The Fires of War is also out as a softcover book. You can use Paypal to order it directly from Blackwyrm Games, at sales@blackwyrm.com . It's also in stock at Noble Knight Games - specifically, here.

Not so. The HERO 5E version of The Algernon Files: The Fires of War is also out as a softcover book. You can use Paypal to order it directly from Blackwyrm Games' date=' at [email']sales@blackwyrm.com[/email] . It's also in stock at Noble Knight Games - specifically, here.

Any Blackwyrm folks on the boards know if it will be available at GenCon?

Dr. Destroyer had some ties to the Nazis in his background' date=' though I don't remember off hand if he was officially a Nazi.[/quote']

It's not clear whether he was ever "officially" a member of the Nazi Party, but according to his writeup in Conquerors, Killers And Crooks he didn't think much of them: "Though he mouthed Nazi slogans when required to, he considered the Nazi philosophy foolish. He was well aware that no one race, German or otherwise, was superior to all the rest; only he and he alone stood above the teeming masses of humanity." :rolleyes:

It's not clear whether he was ever "officially" a member of the Nazi Party' date=' but according to his writeup in [i']Conquerors, Killers And Crooks[/i] he didn't think much of them: "Though he mouthed Nazi slogans when required to, he considered the Nazi philosophy foolish. He was well aware that no one race, German or otherwise, was superior to all the rest; only he and he alone stood above the teeming masses of humanity." :rolleyes:

If he had any kind of official authority, rank or poisition in Germany in WWII, he was almost certainly a party member. He may not have thought much of them, but that's neither here nor there.

If he had any kind of official authority' date=' rank or poisition in Germany in WWII, he was almost certainly a party member. He may not have thought much of them, but that's neither here nor there.[/quote']

That raises an interesting question: to what degree does a villain have to have embraced the Nazi philosophy in order to be considered a "Nazi villain?" The Red Skull was explicitly created to be a Nazi symbol, the counterpart to Captain America; and although he's more focussed on attaining personal power in the modern era, the Skull's attitudes are still clearly influenced by those of the Nazis. The CU villain Panzer whom I mentioned above also considers himself a modern Nazi and embraces the party's "ideals."

Not so. The HERO 5E version of The Algernon Files: The Fires of War is also out as a softcover book. You can use Paypal to order it directly from Blackwyrm Games' date=' at [email']sales@blackwyrm.com[/email] . It's also in stock at Noble Knight Games - specifically, here.

I got mine from frpgames. Here in fact: http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=31236

Or, take the usual route... find an appropriate villain already written up, and convert them to your needs. Redraw a couple of Psych Lims, rearrange a couple of skills, give them a new name and an altered background, and voila! The PCs won't even suspect that the Schwartzveldt, the spirit of the Black Forest, is really Menagerie with some nip/tuck. They'll never notice that Dr. Liebensraum has the exact same character sheet as Binder.

The published materials of the Champions is only the tip of the iceberg. There are hundreds of supers that aren't written up. Make up whatever you need. Besides, the best part of this game is inventing new characters and putting together their sheets for the first time.

• 2 years later...

A Nazi Super Villain is mentioned in Chamions Universe called Der Sturmvogel,

The Storm Bird. He seems to have similar abilities to Captain Patriot Champion Universe's First Super hero (Think Golden Age Superman).

Another was mentioned in Book of the Destroyer but I don't have it on me. It was a mystic villain who was trying to understand Bulletproof's power not realising it was due to his body armour.

Also I wanted to know if a date for the release of the Golden Age Champions has been revealed yet.

I got the impression that the OP was asking about present-day CU Nazi supervillains, but I could be wrong.

Golden Age Champions hasn't been given a release date yet. It's a "done when it's done" ongoing project, which will be slotted into the schedule when Darren Watts has a chance to finish it. Darren was recently running a playtest campaign for some of the characters and scenarios to go in the book, but right now he's trying to finish Lucha Libre HERO, so I doubt GAC will come this year. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's held back until after HERO System Sixth Edition is published, so that it can be updated to 6E rules.