NAZI Villians

L.Craig

Guest Major Tom

Re: NAZI Villians

An ongoing project of mine has been to develop a Nazi super-group for use in

a Champions game, that could either be used in a straight GAC campaign or

as a time-displaced villain group in a modern-day campaign.

The basic idea that I'm working with is that this group (Der Specialkommando

Deutches Reich, A.K.A. Projekt Sturmfront) is a family affair, similar in some

respects to the Fantastic Four, except that there's more than four of them.

Major Tom :cool:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That raises an interesting question: to what degree does a villain have to have embraced the Nazi philosophy in order to be considered a "Nazi villain?" The Red Skull was explicitly created to be a Nazi symbol' date=' the counterpart to Captain America; and although he's more focussed on attaining personal power in the modern era, the Skull's attitudes are still clearly influenced by those of the Nazis. The CU villain Panzer whom I mentioned above also considers himself a modern Nazi and embraces the party's "ideals."[/quote']

What is we classified all superhumans by their political affiliation during world war II? Since so many comics of the time are connected to the war, you could classify half of all classic heroes to a political party.:eek: Let's just assume that a Nazi superhero is one who thematically or psychologically conforms to Nazi doctrines, such as the eugenic superiority of the Aryan race, and sided with the Nazi's durring WWII.

Doctor Destroyer doesn't believe in Aryan supremacy, so he wouldn't be much of a Nazi Supervillian. That being said, a young, lower power Dr. Destroyer could easily be used in a WWII game on the Nazi side.

What is we classified all superhumans by their political affiliation during world war II? Since so many comics of the time are connected to the war, you could classify half of all classic heroes to a political party.:eek: Let's just assume that a Nazi superhero is one who thematically or psychologically conforms to Nazi doctrines, such as the eugenic superiority of the Aryan race, and sided with the Nazi's durring WWII.

Doctor Destroyer doesn't believe in Aryan supremacy, so he wouldn't be much of a Nazi Supervillian. That being said, a young, lower power Dr. Destroyer could easily be used in a WWII game on the Nazi side.

In my campaigns he was initially a valued lieutenant of Dr. Quaal, but became a rival for leadership of the Nazi Super-Soldier program.

An ongoing project of mine has been to develop a Nazi super-group for use in

a Champions game, that could either be used in a straight GAC campaign or

as a time-displaced villain group in a modern-day campaign.

The basic idea that I'm working with is that this group (Der Specialkommando

Deutches Reich, A.K.A. Projekt Sturmfront) is a family affair, similar in some

respects to the Fantastic Four, except that there's more than four of them.

Major Tom :cool:

Let me improve your spelling : Das Spezialkommando Deutsches Reich (Projekt Sturmfront) ;)

When you get right down to it, aside from the history and national association, the Institute for Human Advancement has all the earmarks of a Nazi stand-in for the Champions Universe: an organized political/ social/ paramilitary movement composed of racist bigots dedicated to the systematic extermination of a minority group perceived as a "threat" to people like themselves, who hide their real motives behind propaganda designed to gain them the power to carry out their program.

This will sound odd, but whether we're talking WW2 era or modern day, I'd like to see 'German' villains who weren't actually Germans. There were a LOT of ethnic groups and nationalities fighting under the Nazi banner during WW2, after all; why can't some of them have their own Waffen-SS metas?

(And now I have this image of a Nazi 'Justice League' formed up from all the various local pro-Nazi groups in Occupied Europe...)

When you get right down to it' date=' aside from the history and national association, the [i']Institute for Human Advancement[/i] has all the earmarks of a Nazi stand-in for the Champions Universe: an organized political/ social/ paramilitary movement composed of racist bigots dedicated to the systematic extermination of a minority group perceived as a "threat" to people like themselves, who hide their real motives behind propaganda designed to gain them the power to carry out their program.

With the difference being that a mutant might well be powerful enough to actually do the damage the IHA people expect, while your average Jewish peddler or department store owner was kinda limited in their options.

This will sound odd, but whether we're talking WW2 era or modern day, I'd like to see 'German' villains who weren't actually Germans. There were a LOT of ethnic groups and nationalities fighting under the Nazi banner during WW2, after all; why can't some of them have their own Waffen-SS metas?

(And now I have this image of a Nazi 'Justice League' formed up from all the various local pro-Nazi groups in Occupied Europe...)

Well... there's this guy: http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsrpg/godlike/GODviljo.html

Wasn't there a bizarre Nazi hero' date=' or antihero? He felt that he could demonstrate Aryan superiority by helping to shepherd (through rescues and such) the lesser peoples.[/quote']

I remember in 4th edition there was something like that. The "perfect man" (all primary stats were 20) was a genetically engineered nazi experiment in South America. He was like that. It was suggested to GMs that he presented a "do the means justify the end?" question. It was some weird attempt to make someone with the nazi philosophy of superiority heroic.

In 5th ed dark champions there's a vigilante that's not a nazi but has that attitude of getting rid of the "undeseriables" (read the homeless and poor). He was meant to be an NPC the PCs had to stop or all vigilantes would suffer a bad rep.

I remember in 4th edition there was something like that. The "perfect man" (all primary stats were 20) was a genetically engineered nazi experiment in South America. He was like that. It was suggested to GMs that he presented a "do the means justify the end?" question. It was some weird attempt to make someone with the nazi philosophy of superiority heroic.

The character is "The Aryan" and he's on page 75 of the Allies sourcebook. Not sure who wrote him up... but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Scott Jamison.

Thanks, though I was thinking more of a metahuman Waffen-SS myself.

And it's good to see that someone gave Finland a hero. Heck, with all the mythology found in the Kalevala, you'd think they'd have at least one mythic super.

Guest Worldmaker

That wasn't the point at all. The Aryan was presented not to "make someone with the nazi philosophy of superiority heroic", but rather to present a moral quandry to the Players. Specifically, what do you do when a guy who is saying things you'd really like to beat the crap out of him for does something for which you really should congratulate him? Like pulling people out of a fire or stopping a terrorist attack...

It's a roleplaying opportunity for the players, and a chance for the players to dig deep into their own ideals... not just a soapbox character that's trying to lionize bigotry.

That wasn't the point at all. The Aryan was presented not to "make someone with the nazi philosophy of superiority heroic", but rather to present a moral quandry to the Players. Specifically, what do you do when a guy who is saying things you'd really like to beat the crap out of him for does something for which you really should congratulate him? Like pulling people out of a fire or stopping a terrorist attack...

It's a roleplaying opportunity for the players, and a chance for the players to dig deep into their own ideals... not just a soapbox character that's trying to lionize bigotry.

OT, but I always saw the Aryan as less 20th century Nazi in his attitudes and more 19th century Victorian imperialist at its best (as in, 'we are their superiors, we have a duty to defend and uplift them, which can be best accomplished by setting ourselves above them'). An attitude which, now that I think of it, describes a lot of superheroes.

Hey, don't they all set themselves above mundane law to some extent?

• 2 weeks later...

Having only recently picked up Champions Of The North for Fifth Edition by Scott Bennie (which I highly recommend), I can now add Baron Nihil from that book to the list of Nazi supervillains in the CU. Baron Nihil was in fact a dedicated Nazi during WW II, and brainwashed by Hitler to the level of fanaticism. He rules a "pocket dimension" as the "last possession of the Reich," giving him an army of followers, and intends to bring a new Reich to the world. As written he's obsessively focussed on destroying Canada first, but as Mr. Bennie notes in COTN he's easily adjusted to become a broader would-be world conqueror.