Point Cost of Bases

Raven

Question

Ok, the rules for real point costs of bases seem to elude me. I mean it seems simple enough, 1 pt. for every 5 pts. that a base costs, just like vehicles. The only problem is that whenever an example is shown it never seems to work out that way. First question, if a base has disad. do you subtract them from the cost of stats/powers/skills of the base? If not why have disadvantages since it doesn't give more points to build a base.

Second, I am thinking of building a sanctum sanctorum for my PC who is a mage. If I wanted to represent the building's mystical defenses with mental defense, i.e. it is obviously harder to attack him on his own turf, how would I do that. Would it just be 20 pts. for 20 pts. of mental defense? Would you have to buy the power w/area effect, 0 end., peresistent. Many sources seem to indicate otherwise w/reguards to bases.

As an example that causes confusion I am looking at the Justice Foundation HQ in San Angelo city of heroes (many other bases in newer books seem to have the same problems).

Their HQ has a cost of 102 pts. (even though it actually be 104) dividing this by 5 would give a real pt. cost of 20 pts. Now the five members of the Justice Foundation have paid 2 pts. each for their base. 5 x 2 = 10. So where did the other 10 pts. come from? The Champions base seems to have similar problems. Same thing with the cost for thier jets.

1 answer to this question

1. See 5E 60, second paragraph, right column.

2. See 5E 318, under "General Abilities," which specifically discusses this sort of thing, and even uses Mental Defense as an example. The Rules FAQ also has a question on this subject.

Since we didn't write or publish San Angelo, and it was written using the 4E rules, I can't vouch for its accuracy, and I'd suggest you not use it as an example when trying to figure out the rules if it confuses you.

Offhand, I see no errors in the writeups of the Champions' base and vehicle in Champions.