"Active Points" of a VPP - clarification from FAQ needed

wylodmayer

Question

Hi Steve, sorry to bother you with this after oral surgery (just had two of my wisdom teeth out, so I know how you feel). But the answer I found in the FAQ only generated more questions for me, so here goes...

For games with Active Point limits, when considering VPPs, the FAQ states in response to the question "What’s the overall Active Point cost of a Variable Power Pool?" that "Technically there isn’t one — generally speaking what matters for games with Active Point caps is the size of the Pool, not the overall cost of the VPP."

Fair enough, which would allow me to build, in a game with a 90 ActPts cap, a 90 point pool and whatever kind of control I like, up to and including Cosmic, which would alone cost, what, like 135 points?

But then, confusingly, it states in the very next sentence, "...if you absolutely have to derive one for some reason, use the cost of the Pool, plus the Control Cost with any Advantages applied." That's a horse of a far different color. Under those guidelines, the highest Cosmic power pool available in the same game would have a 36 pt pool.

I wouldn't be worried about it if the "main" answer and the "supplemental" answer didn't give such wildly different results. I hate asking about stuff in the FAQ, cause it's there to keep us from bothering you, but I gotta say I'm just more confused than before.

If it helps, in the past, we've treated the Control Cost and Pool cost as individual entities, both of which must conform to the Active Point cap.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this.

1 answer to this question

Re: "Active Points" of a VPP - clarification from FAQ needed

Fortunately I seem well recovered from the first stage of my whole teeth extraction and replacement thing, thanx for asking. Hopefully the other stages will go as smoothly.

As to your question, unfortunately I'm not sure I can clarify the answer further. This is why we have rules (to serve as a "default" from which people can vary if they so choose) and GMs (to interpret things for their own campaigns). If y'all have a method you like better than what the Rules FAQ describes, by all means use it! All that really matters here is having fun. ;)