Make Your Own Motivational Poster

Susano

Re: Make Your Own Motivational Poster

Huh, I missed an interesting discussion on English in a thread that I'd never would have wagered would have one.

Double Negatives - my understanding is that it comes from someone attempting to insert Latin Grammar rules, where double negatives exist.

On French/English - English is slightly older. The Normans spoke a kind of proto-French that was distinctly different from Southern French (also a proto-French). When they conquered an already English speaking England that cause a vowel shift, and then the Normas and English exchanged a great deal of vocabulary between the two languages, one went off to become the English we're more familiar with today, the other went and assimilated the southern French into itself, along with all the exchanged vocabulary, and created the French we're familiar with today. Both languages continued to evolve.

This is why English is a Germanic Language that's pronounced like French half the time. Also, English has something like 3 times as many words as the next more verbose language. We don't borrow words, we borrow entire language sets. Then mangle them with slang.

I have no motivational poster to share.

I though double negatives uin grammar was an extension of double negatives in math

i'm not sure of the source of the "two negatives = posititve" in modern english, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was a throw back to "in latin, they did it this way!" mentality.

But the force usage in modern language does seem to be its link to multiplication in math. But again, that is a bad comparison since it is, in languages that have compounding double negatives, more akin to Addition.

Anyway,

Back to your regularly scheduled thread! ^^

La Rose.

Not to further muddy the "double negatives" topic, but in regards to comparing English's use of double negatives to "double negatives" in math, which arithmetic operation are we referring to when we say "in math"? Addition or Multiplication?

Because (-2) + (-2) = -4, a greater (larger absolute value) negative, while (-2) x (-2) = 4, a positive.

I don't speak Latin, nor am I entirely familiar with its grammatical structure. That's simply my understanding of the real source of Double Negative in spoken language. I have no references to back up this assertion beyond a couple of English classes I took once a long time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but....what if they buy an A10? They have all the credit in the world!

Lucius Alexander

I want a palindromedary

That won't get them thier money back. If they destroy the tank, they kill you and you can't pay them back. And they won't even be able to re-sell the tank to recoup thier losses, because it'll be destroyed too!

• 2 weeks later...