Make Your Own Motivational Poster

Susano

Re: Make Your Own Motivational Poster

Oh' date=' well that makes perfect sense then. I know I bring in a hammer and an attitude every time I go to check out a book or DVD. :bmk:[/quote']

I knew you looked familiar!

The sad truth is that public libraries in big cities can often get that bad. My branch actually had an armed guard, and we weren't the worst branch in the system.

I work as a librarian, sort of. I'm the school librarian for a USN helicopter crew school. If/when the "customers" get obnoxious, I can inform thier instructors. OR I can merely report them to the union rep. OR I can report them to the security officer for a security violation*. Being able to inform Captains that they cannot say that to me warms my former enlisted man's heart.

I don't think I could work in a normal public library. Or any job that has normal interaction with people.

*Improperly returning classified material is a security violation. Failing to return or returning it late doesn't mean a fine, it means a visit with NCIS for a Gibbs slapping. And if I've been good that week, I get to watch.

I've done Customer Service for 20 years. I got out of it to work in IT.

Ironically I did it for two reasons. Money and I like customer service.

Granted, I've done most of my CS work in a college town (Pop 55k) and on college campuses, but I enjoyed getting to know my customers on a first name basis, I was proud that they could come to me with questions and problems and know that I was capable and on their side. Yes there were some bad eggs, we called the cops 3 times in 12 years (4 if you count the robbery but I don't consider him a customer). And there were some people I hated helping.

I originally looked to office work at the university as an ideal job because I'd get to continue to help people and get better benefits and a higher pay ceiling...and no sales. That's what the bank became somewhere in year eight. I don't do sales. Sales isn't customer service. At least not at the bank. We became more focused on whoring out to new money that we ignored our existing loyal customers. Why? We got too big and we were losing money with the bad loans we'd gobbled up.

So I'm hoping to parlay my CS skills into an IT career. I'm something of a hermit myself, being introverted, but I do like feeling that I'm making a contribution to making someone's life better.

You may be joking, but a big part of the reason I left my last job was I could no longer tolerate the customers. They were not simply idiots, they were rude, abusive, sometimes violent, and simply mean in every way. Nobody should work in a job where they have to call the cops on a semi-regular basis. It was the final nail in the coffin of my social life. I'm a hermit myself, and I don't regret it.

The main thing I love about my new job is no public customers. I do some reference work through e-mail or phone, but it's very niche, so I'm not getting hammer wielding psychopaths coming in the door anymore.

Actually, mostly serious. To get away from "people", I went from doing field service for an online gaming company where I had to deliver supplies & do field-repairs of the terminals in the retailer's stores to the operations department where (among other things) I had to field phonecalls from field techs and the call center (who were fielding calls from the same retailers). That wasn't far enough for me, so I went to night shift. There, I finally found some *some* insulation from John Q Idiot Public, but it has ruined my gaming life, greatly hampered my education chances, and just about killed any chance I might have had at finding a partner. Thus I live like a hermit.

Actually' date=' mostly serious. To get away from "people", I went from doing field service for an online gaming company where I had to deliver supplies & do field-repairs of the terminals in the retailer's stores to the operations department where (among other things) I had to field phonecalls from field techs and the call center (who were fielding calls from the same retailers). That wasn't far enough for me, so I went to night shift. There, I finally found some *some* insulation from John Q [strike']Idiot[/strike] Public, but it has ruined my gaming life, greatly hampered my education chances, and just about killed any chance I might have had at finding a partner. Thus I live like a hermit.

And I can understand why it might be worth it.

I wanted to be a lighthouse keeper when I grew up.

Lucius Alexander

The confused palindromedary wonders what was that about a light housekeeper?

What bit of what book?

Lucius Alexander

Has the palindromedary been byting books again?

One of the many strange elements of GURPS Fantasy II: the Mad Lands (which was based on a long-running Robin Laws campaign) was the gods. Nobody worshiped the gods, but they did fear them because they would show at random and destroy people and things, keeping the lands fairly close to the stone age in terms of social organization because anything more complex was a more obvious target. It was believed that Laws had modeled his gods on the cast of the Winnie-the-Pooh series.

The Mad Lands were the most original setting SJG has ever done. Needless to say it sold like lead balloons.

It was believed that Laws had modeled his gods on the cast of the Winnie-the-Pooh series.

Hard to believe anything else. :) I mean, the Madlanders' gods in GURPS Fantasy II were:

• Bax Powu Kag - The Moose (but "...an odd sort of moose, with stubby legs, gray fur and (usually) no antlers. His face is long, his saucer-sized, staring eyes deep and mournful.) (Eeyore)
  • Bett Agwo - The Hare ("Bett Agwo's attempts at helping are notorious for backfiring on their recipients. He's a sort of reverse trickster: even though he means well, those who deal with him always get the opposite of their desires.") (Rabbit)
  • Bubzavav - The Bear ("Some tales portray Bubzavav as a bit of a bumbler; often he gets himself into trouble in his never-ending quest for delectables. In one story, he ventures into an old collapsed Zewa Zab runnel because he sees bees flying in and out of it. Being a roly-poly creature, he gets stuck, inches away from the beehive full of tantalizing honey.") (Winnie the Pooh)
  • Dopod Abwep - The Child ("When encountered in stories, he rarely seems to be doing anything in particular. He's usually just killing time in a childlike manner: skipping stones into a lake, making sand piles or simply staring off into space.") (Christopher Robin)
  • Gakox Pezep - The Cougar ("Unlike normal big cats, he moves by hopping across the terrain, sometimes covering miles at a time.") (Tigger)
  • Kikavo Vo - Big Leaper and Kikavo Dat - Little Leaper ("While most of the Madlander gods are frightening versions of more-or-less familiar animals, Kikavo Vo and her son Kikavo Dat seem to be weird hybrids of many creatures. Descriptions of them in village lore are precise: they have the heads of deer (without antlers) mounted on long thick necks. Their chests and torsos are like those of big potbellied grizzly bears. Their postures are upright, like a man's. Mounted on their shoulders are tiny arms like those of a small child. On the end of each arm are the sharp claws of a wolverine. Their powerful legs are designed like a toad's, but their huge feet resemble those of no known beast, long and flat like planks from a ship deck.") (Kanga and Roo)
  • Vuvuti - The Owl "(As in many cultures, the owl is regarded by Madlanders as representing knowledge and wisdom. However, since the Owl in question, Vuvuti, is a god, the knowledge is forbidden and the wisdom terrifying.") (Owl)
  • Zewa Zab - The Gopher ("Over countless centuries he has created an extensive network of tunnels throughout the land. Some are freshly dug; most have long since filled with debris or collapsed.") (Gopher)
  • Zuutak - The Pig ("Zuutak's forms vary, but he's always some sort of pig. His most notorious trait is his bottomless hunger for fresh and tasty vegetation.") (Piglet)

Seriously... How could you look at that and not think they're based on the Winnie-the-Pooh characters? :)

Wouldn't that break the 4th wall?

He tapped on it a bit.

In context he was saying that he was a contractor who was not listed in the phone book, but there was a joke for those in the audience who were familiar with the source material.

Owl: Blast it all.

Gopher: Good idea! We'll dynamite. Save time.

Owl: Eh, what's the charge?

Gopher: The charge? Oh, about seven sticks of dynamite.

Owl: Oh, no, no, no, the cost! The charge in money.

Gopher: Nope, no charge account. I work strictly cash.

Owl: Obviously, but, I should think...

Gopher: Well, I can't stand around lollygagging all day. I got a tight schedule.

Gopher: [falls down a hole] Aaaaaaaahh.

Gopher: If you think it over, let me know. You got my card, I'm not in the book, you know.

Owl: Oh. Dash it all, he's gone.

Winnie the Pooh: After all, he's not in the book, you know.

Owl: Oh.