Make Your Own Motivational Poster

Susano

Re: Make Your Own Motivational Poster

I still have mine from the early '80s. In a couple more years I'll give them to my kids.

I have a big bucket of Legos I bought for myself in my mid-30s. I can't wait for my little girl to get big enough to be interested in playing with them (as opposed to eating them).

A couple of years ago my brother and I split all of our old legos. He spent the better part of a year assembling all the sets we had, looking up instructions online if needed and buying bricks to replace ones lost over the years. We then calmly and evenly divided what we had. My Dad expected more heated arguments, but we were quite reasonable about it. I've been building my half with The Boy (who will be 6 in March) for a while now. My brother is just starting with his oldest, who will be 5 this summer. He is also buying new sets and smuggling them into the house under the wife-radar for when his boys are the right age. He's an unabashed LEGOholic.

It is interesting to see the evolution in LEGOs. The original yellow castle, everything was basic bricks, even the horses for the knights. The most recent King's Castle (which my folks got The Boy for Christmas) is chock-full of specialized pieces. Some are cool and neat, like the lion head capstone brick over the gate. Others are not necessary. "Back in my day we just stacked 4 1x1 posts on top of each other to get this piece"

Kids these days.

Get off my green base-plate!

(They probably have custom lawn bricks now anyway...)

I've obviously reached the "cranky old man" stage.

I REMEMBER WHEN...Legos didn't come in KITS that were designed to snap together into pre-designed forms. MY Legos came in a big box with no instructions and no limits. You could build whatever the **** you wanted, and could imagine.

KIDS THESE DAYS have it easy. IN MY DAY Legos didn't come with all these specialized parts, moving parts, and whatnot. You had a limited variety of bricks and you had to build everything based on that.

... AND they only came in four colors: white, blue, red, and yellow. And none of these fancy curved pieces; except for the wheels, and the slanted roof parts, they were all strictly rectilinear.

(We got ours in the early 1960s in Germany.)

zHBaA.jpg

As a person who deals with the mental health system, for years I have been dealing with people advocating "evidence-based practices" in treatment. While it makes sense to go by what has been proven to work, it is obvious to me that even those treatments do not work in every case -- which is different by the very nature of mental health. For example, some people thrive in group classes while others find them unbearable.

As a person who deals with the mental health system' date=' for years I have been dealing with people advocating "evidence-based practices" in treatment. While it makes sense to go by what has been proven to work, it is obvious to me that even those treatments do not work in every case -- which is different by the very nature of mental health. For example, some people thrive in group classes while others find them unbearable.[/quote']

I'm actually working on some publications on this subject at the moment. Evidence Based Practice (EBP) isn't actually what folks are talking about most of the time in mental health, they are discussing various specific "evidence based treatment" (EBT) approaches. It's not the same thing, but the terms now are pretty well completely conflated among everyone in the field. It's a very hot topic, since the individuals and organizations who are "official keepers of the approved list" also often get paid for one or more of the trainings for treatment models on the list (and "surprise" it's much harder to get onto the aforementioned list for other treatment approaches ), and there's tens of millions of dollars involved.

A very good point however. The one aspect of health care that otherwise leading-edge organizations like Kaiser struggle with is Behavioral Health. They stink at that, for myriad reasons (aside from Alcohol and Drug treatment, which they are very good at). Anyway, there are lots of things coming out of the Affordable Care Act related to this and...

...I spend too much time on this at work. I'm going back to talking about superheroes and stuff.

Speaking as a consumer of the mental health industry' date=' the most helpful thing any mental health professional ever did for me was tell me exactly what Sciziophrenia is and does.[/quote']

I hear ya, Bud. Sometimes it just helps to know just what kind of crazy you are. *Twitch* *Gibber* *Toot!*

FB is so awesome!

A week has passed. Time to express my eternal love!. By far, the best FB thread I've seen in a while.

Somebody rep this for me. Apart from the details, I have been in that situation myself and didn't recognize the danger signs until it was too late to prevent disaster. Then I forgave her and married her again. Fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times and I hope somebody just shoots me."