Make Your Own Motivational Poster

Susano

Guest Celt

Re: Make Your Own Motivational Poster

8920.jpg

Edit: To my reputizer, no, I didn't make this, I have linked the site where I found it in the image.

But... but.... Could someone believe in mono-atheism? Specifically' date=' the belief that there can be only ONE god who doesn't exist? :doi:[/quote']

This is why I think atheism couldn't exist without Christianity. Because Christianity (and Islam) convinced most of the world that all the gods but ONE are fake. Atheism is just taking the next logical step. :eg:

JG

This is why I think atheism couldn't exist without Christianity. Because Christianity (and Islam) convinced most of the world that all the gods but ONE are fake. Atheism is just taking the next logical step. :eg:

JG

But atheism defines itself against something that does exist. it is like someone calling themselves 'anazi'; meaning not-an-Nazi. The implication being they have acknowledged Nazism exists...and they are against it.

But atheism defines itself against something that does exist. it is like someone calling themselves 'anazi'; meaning not-an-Nazi. The implication being they have acknowledged Nazism exists...and they are against it.

Atheism is not being "against" something, it is simply the lack of something (thus the 'a'), and in this case it is theism (i.e. god belief).

Atheism is not being "against" something' date=' it is simply the [i']lack [/i]of something (thus the 'a'), and in this case it is theism (i.e. god belief).

that's what i get for not consulting a dictionary. actually it is 'atheos = without'. ;):)

From elsewhere in the same site:

Noun

atheos (genitive atheī); m, second declension

1. an atheist, one that does not believe in God [quotations ▼]
    • 45 BCE, Cicero, De natura deorum, 1.63quid Diagoras atheos qui dictus est […]Diagoras, who is called an atheist, […]

So, it seems to be just the 'archaic' version of saying... atheist. :)

From elsewhere in the same site:

So, it seems to be just the 'archaic' version of saying... atheist. :)

But still it seems to me the word is positioning the belief in opposition to the belief in a deity. Is there a way to express atheism in a way that is positive? (ie a word that is not defined as opposite to).

From thesaurus: "nonbelief, disbelief, unbelief,irreligion" to me are all positioned in opposition to theism.

nihilism may be the closest to what I'm after (parts bolded):

the rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless.

Philosophy extreme skepticism maintaining that nothing in the world has a real existence.

It seems to me that I could be a believer and still be a polyatheist: I don't believe in Jupiter, Odin, Amaterasu, Ishtar, or whatever it is that the Westboro Baptist Church worships.

It seems to me that I could be a believer and still be a polyatheist: I don't believe in Jupiter' date=' Odin, Amaterasu, Ishtar, or whatever it is that the Westboro Baptist Church worships.[/quote']

"Westboro Baptist Church worships" lol. that was funny.

And One thing I have read was that the Ancient Egyptians viewed the deities as archetypes, not necessary as gods to be worshiped.

JG

No, there were atheist among the pre-Christian polytheistic Greeks and Romans.

So what would you call someone who acknowledges the existence of gods but denies the existence of a supreme capital G God?

And One thing I have read was that the Ancient Egyptians viewed the deities as archetypes' date=' not necessary as gods to be worshiped.[/quote']

*cringes*

"The pyramids were older when Julius Caesar saw them than Caesar would be if he were alive today."

As "the Ancient Egyptians" consisted of people living across three and a half millennia, can we please refrain from speaking of them as a monolithic block? Some of the Ancient Egyptians viewed the deities as archetypes, others as deities to be worshiped, still others "propitiated" might have been a more accurate word than "worshiped."

As noted, atheism is "without gods" not "against gods". There's a perfectly good word for the latter: "Antitheism". In all three cases, you could substitute "religion" for "God" and retain the accurate meaning.

Many of the pre-christian thinkers who were atheists or agnostics were not necessarily antagonistic towards the idea of gods: some early atheists believed that gods might well exist, but that since they didn't seem to interact with humans much, if at all, what did it matter? You can believe that a god or gods exist and still be an atheist - that is, without gods of your own - if you simply don't care.

Personally, I tend to use the word "areligious" - still meaning "without religion" or "without gods" - since "atheist" today has taken on the connotation of "antitheist": and that's not me. I have no idea whether a god or god exists, still less what they might be like or what they want (if anything) from me if they did exist. It doesn't offend me if others have a different viewpoint, or make it difficult for me to work or associate with them. To me, if someone tells me that they are religious, it's the same as if they told me they were gay, or liked Schopenhauer: in all cases, I think "That's nice, but it's not really my thing".

I don't see that description as a negative, nor do we need (IMO) a "positive" descriptor: areligious is an accurate description.

cheers, Mark

*cringes*

"The pyramids were older when Julius Caesar saw them than Caesar would be if he were alive today."

As "the Ancient Egyptians" consisted of people living across three and a half millennia, can we please refrain from speaking of them as a monolithic block? Some of the Ancient Egyptians viewed the deities as archetypes, others as deities to be worshiped, still others "propitiated" might have been a more accurate word than "worshiped."

good points.

I don't see that description as a negative, nor do we need (IMO) a "positive" descriptor: areligious is an accurate description.

cheers, Mark

fair point. cheers for mentioning it. :thumpbup:

Many of the pre-christian thinkers who were atheists or agnostics were not necessarily antagonistic towards the idea of gods: some early atheists believed that gods might well exist' date=' but that since they didn't seem to interact with humans much, if at all, what did it matter? You can believe that a god or gods exist and still be an atheist - that is, without gods of your own - if you simply don't care.[/quote']

That's pretty much the Buddhist position on the subject (as far as there can be a Buddhist position on anything, Buddhist aren't a monolithic block either); pray to the gods if you wish, don't count on their intervention.

That's pretty much the Buddhist position on the subject (as far as there can be a Buddhist position on anything' date=' Buddhist aren't a monolithic block either); pray to the gods if you wish, don't count on their intervention.[/quote']

It's kinda like asking for help from a banker that way.

That's pretty much the Buddhist position on the subject (as far as there can be a Buddhist position on anything' date=' Buddhist aren't a monolithic block either); pray to the gods if you wish, don't count on their intervention.[/quote']

What does Buddhism say about angels? other enlightened beings?