Make Your Own Motivational Poster

Susano

Re: Make Your Own Motivational Poster

Maybe their drive tech wasn't up to intergalactic distances.

It's hard to imagine drive tech that would be unless you want to spend several generations in flight (or have all-mechanical crews for whom the extended timeframe doesn't matter).
According to the expanded universe, hyperdrive doesn't work so well outside their galaxy.

According to the expanded universe' date=' hyperdrive doesn't work so well outside their galaxy.[/quote']

Never an EU fan, outside a galaxy or specifically their galaxy? If it is a special property of their galaxy, like being infested with Midi-chlorians, that pretty much ends the ST vs SW discussions.

Never an EU fan' date=' outside [i']a[/i] galaxy or specifically their galaxy? If it is a special property of their galaxy, like being infested with Midi-chlorians, that pretty much ends the ST vs SW discussions.
Since they've never been to any other galaxy, this would be strictly hyperthetical

Speaking of misaligned bridges:

Partial.jpg

It's almost unbelievable that actually happened. Mind you, I said almost. As a Portlander, I know all about how things can go wrong designing or planning a bridge. A proposed new bridge over the Columbia River connecting Portland to Washington State had to be redesigned from scratch because the proposed design was too low to allow ships to pass under it (despite being about 60 miles inland Portland is a major seaport, capable of handling anything short of a supertanker -- we get a lot of Asian container ships and outgoing grain ships).

It's almost unbelievable that actually happened. Mind you' date=' I said almost. As a Portlander, I know all about how things can go wrong designing or planning a bridge. A proposed new bridge over the Columbia River connecting Portland to Washington State had to be redesigned from scratch because the proposed design was too low to allow ships to pass under it (despite being about 60 miles inland Portland is a major seaport, capable of handling anything short of a supertanker -- we get a lot of Asian container ships and outgoing grain ships).[/quote']

I suspect the redesign was necessary because the powers that be were too busy making sure the new bridge had bicycle lanes and light rail, not just the auto lanes that everyone really wants. The existing drawbridge is too narrow for the volume of traffic it carries, plus it's, you know, a DRAWBRIDGE. So traffic is stopped multiple times a day to let river traffic pass. But the Planners are bound and determined that come hell or high water, the new bridge must have as much space (or more) set aside for bikes and lightrail than for cars--and never mind that Clark County/City of Vancouver (where the bridge connects to Washington State) have made it abundantly clear that they don't WANT light rail. It's been voted down more than once.

It's almost unbelievable that actually happened. Mind you' date=' I said almost. As a Portlander, I know all about how things can go wrong designing or planning a bridge. A proposed new bridge over the Columbia River connecting Portland to Washington State had to be redesigned from scratch because the proposed design was too low to allow ships to pass under it (despite being about 60 miles inland Portland is a major seaport, capable of handling anything short of a supertanker -- we get a lot of Asian container ships and outgoing grain ships).[/quote']

I don't think they'd get that close fully paved with the lane markers on.

I suspect the redesign was necessary because the powers that be were too busy making sure the new bridge had bicycle lanes and light rail' date=' not just the auto lanes that everyone really wants. The existing drawbridge is too narrow for the volume of traffic it carries, plus it's, you know, a DRAWBRIDGE. So traffic is stopped multiple times a day to let river traffic pass. But the Planners are bound and determined that come hell or high water, the new bridge must have as much space (or more) set aside for bikes and lightrail than for cars--and never mind that Clark County/City of Vancouver (where the bridge connects to Washington State) have made it abundantly clear that they don't WANT light rail. It's been voted down more than once.[/quote']

Because, y'know, any planning for efficient mass transit and non-gas commuter usage is just crazy talk.

Because' date=' y'know, any planning for efficient mass transit and non-gas commuter usage is just crazy talk.[/quote']

Yes it is. Especially when the same brilliant planners who've wasted billions on stupid, uneconomic light rail projects* here in Oregon insist on ballooning the cost of the project by dedicated more of the proposed bridge to bicycle and light rail traffic than to road traffic. And when the folks on the other end of the bridge, in a different state, where said planner cannot just ignore their wishes and buil their stupid, Sim-Cityesque projects over the locals' objections (as they have in other counties around Portland), have already explicitly rejected any interest in joining the Tri-Met mafia.

*While crying poverty as an excuse for letting maintenance of non-rail roads and bridges go to pot because doing that sort of work is boring and doesn't get you bragging rights when you attend conferences with your fellow Sim City enthusiasts.

Yes it is. Especially when the same brilliant planners who've wasted billions on stupid, uneconomic light rail projects* here in Oregon insist on ballooning the cost of the project by dedicated more of the proposed bridge to bicycle and light rail traffic than to road traffic. And when the folks on the other end of the bridge, in a different state, where said planner cannot just ignore their wishes and buil their stupid, Sim-Cityesque projects over the locals' objections (as they have in other counties around Portland), have already explicitly rejected any interest in joining the Tri-Met mafia.

*While crying poverty as an excuse for letting maintenance of non-rail roads and bridges go to pot because doing that sort of work is boring and doesn't get you bragging rights when you attend conferences with your fellow Sim City enthusiasts.

You know what would cool you down, dude? A nice peddle. I can't speak for the rest of the world, but I'm enjoying bike commuting.

Yes it is.

When you can explain how it is that planning for light rail and bicycles somehow leads to not planning for the passage of large ships (because I for one don't see what makes these mutually exclusive) I'll be willing to listen to your opinions of what constitutes crazy talk.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary agrees that overlooking the need for large ships to pass under a bridge apparently being designed specifically to replace a drawbridge and eliminate its inconveniences, makes the planners look stupid.

As a Tri-Met user I am constantly, unpleasantly surprised by the belief people have that public transit systems need to be profitable. That (private bus companies) has been tried and did not work. Mass Transit systems are designed to make it more convenient for citizenry to get around. There are a lot of people who do not drive, cannot drive, or -- in many cases -- should not drive. They still need to get around.

Tri-Met has no buses that cross the Columbia River. That job is left to Vancouver's public transit system, C-Tran. The impression I get is that C-Tran is severely underfunded. Fortunately, the two agencies have an agreement where a valid fare or pass for one works on the other. That's how I'm able to get to conventions and game days in downtown Vancouver. But there are a lot of neighborhoods in Clark County with no mass transit at all.

I could not work without Tri-Met. I couldn't shop or go to appointments without Tri-Met either.

When you can explain how it is that planning for light rail and bicycles somehow leads to not planning for the passage of large ships (because I for one don't see what makes these mutually exclusive) I'll be willing to listen to your opinions of what constitutes crazy talk.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary agrees that overlooking the need for large ships to pass under a bridge apparently being designed specifically to replace a drawbridge and eliminate its inconveniences, makes the planners look stupid.

Because as near as I can tell, the need for the local politicians to pander to their various constituencies (and not just the light rail mafia or the bicycle brigade), means that rather than just let the engineers do their job and work out the problem, they all had to put an oar in.* The bridge's location and/or height were affected in part by the need to make sure the access/onramps for all these various forms of transportation woudl satisfy their proponents.** The end result is that they've spent many millions on this project without a single shovelful of dirt being turned AND ended up with a plan that has to be scrapped or drastically revamped, no doubt at a cost of millions more.

*Steve Barnes, the SF writer, talks about working in Hollywood sometimes, where nobody is happy until they've piddled in the ice cream sufficiently. Same thing here, I suspect.

**Though to be fair the light rail and bicycle proponents, no doubt satisfying the desires needs of the local developers cabal (who pretty much own the City of Portland government lock, stock, and barrel) probably had at least as much to do with it.

As a Tri-Met user I am constantly' date=' unpleasantly surprised by the belief people have that public transit systems need to be profitable. That (private bus companies) has been tried and did not work. Mass Transit systems are designed to make it more convenient for citizenry to get around. There are a lot of people who do not drive, cannot drive, or -- in many cases -- [i']should not drive[/i]. They still need to get around.

I cannot stand bus service, especially since my 8-mile trip to work, which takes less than 25 minutes by car, would be 2 hours with bus transfers.

But "public transportation" DOES perform a public service insofar as the kind of people you see on the bus ARE NOT ON THE ROAD DRIVING CARS. ;)

JG

If you dont have a car, or a means to get one, its the bus, bike, cab, or foot around here. Some people need that transport to keep going.

Screwing up a bridge bad enough that it cant do its function seems like something someone should be fired over.

CES

I cannot stand bus service, especially since my 8-mile trip to work, which takes less than 25 minutes by car, would be 2 hours with bus transfers.

But "public transportation" DOES perform a public service insofar as the kind of people you see on the bus ARE NOT ON THE ROAD DRIVING CARS. ;)

Actually, we had a bus drivers' strike here a few years back that got cut short when people noticed how much better traffic was when there weren't any buses on the road. It was like adding an extra lane to practically every road in town.

Of course, we still have to have the buses since so many of those people on the bus who ARE NOT ON THE ROAD DRIVING CARS are there because they can't drive cars.

We also just broke ground on rail here. We'll see if it gets completed.

That is AWESOME.

But impractical. As long as the portable hole and bag of holding are incorportated into the device they are unable to fulfill their usual functions, meaning you might as well not have them, and if the weapon is actually deployed, the hole and the bag are both permanently lost.

On the other hand it's a wonderful plan if you're up against something that cannot be destroyed by more conventional means and there is truly pressing need to destroy it anyway, or destroying it nets you access to something of greater value than the magic items you sacrifice.

Lucius Alexander

A palindromedary with saddle bags of holding

But impractical. As long as the portable hole and bag of holding are incorportated into the device they are unable to fulfill their usual functions, meaning you might as well not have them, and if the weapon is actually deployed, the hole and the bag are both permanently lost.

On the other hand it's a wonderful plan if you're up against something that cannot be destroyed by more conventional means and there is truly pressing need to destroy it anyway, or destroying it nets you access to something of greater value than the magic items you sacrifice.

Lucius Alexander

A palindromedary with saddle bags of holding

Yeah, I can think of at least three occasions when my D&D characters would have been willing to sacrifice the said magic items. Not to mention just the cool factor of aiming this at, let's say, the front door of Orthanc. "The wizard's indestructible tower now has a ten foot hemisphere missing from its foundation. Sucks to be your doorman."