Make Your Own Motivational Poster

Susano

Re: Make Your Own Motivational Poster

I fail to see what is wrong with a double negative other than that professional grammarians don't understand that they are used for emphasis and do not contradict each other. A good linguist bases his practices on the way people actually talk, which is why the most famous linguist in popular fiction, Henry Higgins of Pygmalion and My Fair Lady, had completely missed the point of his discipline.

I fail to see what is wrong with a double negative other than that professional grammarians don't understand that they are used for emphasis and do not contradict each other. A good linguist bases his practices on the way people actually talk' date=' which is why the most famous linguist in popular fiction, Henry Higgins of [i']Pygmalion[/i] and My Fair Lady, had completely missed the point of his discipline.

On the contrary, Higgins based his practices exactly on the way people actually talk--but he made the obvious distinction between class-based patterns of speech. Double negatives are a hallmark of lower classes in both England and the U.S. Had he wagered that he could pass off a highborn princess as a Cockney flower girl, he'd have taught the poor rich girl to use them. (In my opinion this would actually have been more difficult.)

On the contrary' date=' Higgins based his practices exactly on the way people actually talk--but he made the obvious distinction between class-based patterns of speech. Double negatives are a hallmark of lower classes in both England and the U.S. Had he wagered that he could pass off a highborn princess as a Cockney flower girl, he'd have taught the poor rich girl to use them. (In my opinion this would actually have been more difficult.)[/quote']

I think there was a bit of "moral" reasoning that affecting the speech habits of a different (lower) class was sort of sinful, and that if one imitates the speech habits of those "beneath one's station", someone might think you were "one of them" and not some person who should rightfully be deferred to. I recall my mom showing a bit of this attitude when I was little, when she'd refuse to act as if she heard me until I said "May I have [whatever it was]" instead of "Can I have [whatever it was]". I recall another instance where a teacher had what could only be described as an apoplectic fit over some kid's use of the double-negative, so, yeah.

I fail to see what is wrong with a double negative other than that professional grammarians don't understand that they are used for emphasis and do not contradict each other. A good linguist bases his practices on the way people actually talk' date=' which is why the most famous linguist in popular fiction, Henry Higgins of [i']Pygmalion[/i] and My Fair Lady, had completely missed the point of his discipline.

The double negative has always existed in English (as well as many other languages, of course). The prescriptivist grammarians of a couple of centuries back tried to unilaterially veto the structure based on its absence in Latin, whose grammar they deemed to be an ideal for English to follow. Prescriptivists since have tried hard to clamp down on the double negative, but the reality of the language continues to escape their attempts at artificial rulemongering.

The double negative has always existed in English (as well as many other languages' date=' of course). The prescriptivist grammarians of a couple of centuries back tried to unilaterially veto the structure based on its absence in Latin, whose grammar they deemed to be an ideal for English to follow. Prescriptivists since have tried hard to clamp down on the double negative, but the reality of the language continues to escape their attempts at artificial rulemongering.[/quote']

Thus, demonstrating that even in real life, rulemongers are mostly good for pissing people off.

The double negative has always existed in English (as well as many other languages' date=' of course). The prescriptivist grammarians of a couple of centuries back tried to unilaterially veto the structure based on its absence in Latin, whose grammar they deemed to be an ideal for English to follow. Prescriptivists since have tried hard to clamp down on the double negative, but the reality of the language continues to escape their attempts at artificial rulemongering.[/quote']

In teaching English, I have learned that most people (or at least most of my students) do not actually consciously form sentences. They have a variety of, for lack of a better term, blurbs each of which has a certain connotative meanuing that is only loosely connected to its denotative meaning. When they talk, they just grab for a connotative meaning, grab a blurb in that area of the memory, and throw it out the door. When you ask them to analyze what they just said, or even to write it down, they literally can't do it, because language for them works at the blurb level. They're really not capable of expressing any idea that's more specific than, "dislike that," or ," not gonna do it," or ,"funny."

It's an exercise in fuzzy linguistics.

In teaching English, I have learned that most people (or at least most of my students) do not actually consciously form sentences. They have a variety of, for lack of a better term, blurbs each of which has a certain connotative meanuing that is only loosely connected to its denotative meaning. When they talk, they just grab for a connotative meaning, grab a blurb in that area of the memory, and throw it out the door. When you ask them to analyze what they just said, or even to write it down, they literally can't do it, because language for them works at the blurb level. They're really not capable of expressing any idea that's more specific than, "dislike that," or ," not gonna do it," or ,"funny."

That would explain many things, actually. Such as Sarah Palin.

JG

In teaching English' date=' I have learned that most people (or at least most of my students) do not actually consciously form sentences. They have a variety of, for lack of a better term, blurbs each of which has a certain connotative meanuing that is only loosely connected to its denotative meaning. When they talk, they just grab for a connotative meaning, grab a blurb in that area of the memory, and throw it out the door. When you ask them to analyze what they just said, or even to write it down, they literally can't do it, because language for them works at the blurb level. They're really not capable of expressing any idea that's more specific than, "dislike that," or ," not gonna do it," or ,"funny."[/quote']

Like "Do not want"? ;)

LOL-speak!

The prescriptivist grammarians of a couple of centuries back tried to unilaterially veto the structure based on its absence in Latin....

I find this extremely interesting, considering that Spanish (descended from Latin) throws double negatives around like peasants sowing grain.

I find this extremely interesting' date=' considering that Spanish (descended from Latin) throws double negatives around like peasants sowing grain.[/quote']

It would not be the first time that English Grammerians attempted to guide the formation of the language by making declarations that the way a large part of the English-speaking population is currently speaking is "wrong". English is driven from the grass-roots up, except when academia coins a new term from greek and latin roots. Various attempts have been made to influence the language from the "top down", but English-speakers are resistant to being told how to communicate unless it actually results in better communication.

It would not be the first time that English Grammerians attempted to guide the formation of the language by making declarations that the way a large part of the English-speaking population is currently speaking is "wrong". English is driven from the grass-roots up' date=' except when academia coins a new term from greek and latin roots. Various attempts have been made to influence the language from the "top down", but English-speakers are resistant to being told how to communicate unless it actually results in better communication.[/quote']

My pet peeve is "don't end a sentence with a preposition." Chaucer ended sentences with prepositions. Shakespeare ended sentences with prepositions. The editors of the King James Bible ended sentences with prepositions. no one could diddle the words like the Elizabethans, so if you want me to stop ending sentences with prepositions come up with more venerable examples of English than Shakespeare and The KJV Bible.

Yeah, those mean old prescriptive grammarians, trying to tell us how to write sentences that other people can understand. The nerve of them!

If you're Shakespeare, go ahead and split your infinitives and end your sentences with prepositions. Throw in some dialogue that uses double negatives for emphasis. Just remember that when you split the verb form from the "to," it makes it more difficult for readers to recognise that you're using an infinitive in the first place. A dangling preposition demands that readers go back over the sentence and find the referent. Double negatives can be read as negating the negation. Compare it to reading a French passage where the "que" in the "ne que" formulation gets buried, and you spend most of a sentence misparsing the "ne" as a negation. Ditto a German sentence where the writer has decided to bury the second half of the verb instead of putting it at the end of the sentence where it's supposed to be.

And if those last sentences read like gibberish to you because you don't read French (or even if you do), consider the fate of the poor English-as-a-second-language reader trying to parse your freewheeling, prescriptive-grammar-be-damned prose. Shakespeare was writing poetry, not writing close analysis.

Yeah, those mean old prescriptive grammarians, trying to tell us how to write sentences that other people can understand. The nerve of them!

If you're Shakespeare, go ahead and split your infinitives and end your sentences with prepositions. Throw in some dialogue that uses double negatives for emphasis. Just remember that when you split the verb form from the "to," it makes it more difficult for readers to recognise that you're using an infinitive in the first place. A dangling preposition demands that readers go back over the sentence and find the referent. Double negatives can be read as negating the negation. Compare it to reading a French passage where the "que" in the "ne que" formulation gets buried, and you spend most of a sentence misparsing the "ne" as a negation. Ditto a German sentence where the writer has decided to bury the second half of the verb instead of putting it at the end of the sentence where it's supposed to be.

And if those last sentences read like gibberish to you because you don't read French (or even if you do), consider the fate of the poor English-as-a-second-language reader trying to parse your freewheeling, prescriptive-grammar-be-damned prose. Shakespeare was writing poetry, not writing close analysis.

I refuse to recast a sentence because "that's not how Julius Caesar would have said it."