OIHID and how it's limited

Brandi

Maybe this is just something I'm overlooking in the books, but I was looking at good old OIHID and the notes on how it's restrained...

Well, can the condition be something like a focus? The Gatchaman heroes are all effectively folks whose powers are OIHID, but I remember an episode of the show where Keeyop, er, Jinpei, er, whoever, lost his bracelet and could not activate his suit 'til the rest of the team brought it back to him. Would this just be a special effect of OIHID? It seems a bit more problematic than Defender's just taking longer to change into his power suit or the "gag Billy Batson so he can't say Shazam" situation.

I'm a big fan of the rule, "If you don't see it three times, it's probably not worth points." That sounds like OIHID with a one-time story element that emphasises the underlying objects used to transform into hero ID.

On the other hand, I think the G-Force transformation was actually virtually instantaneous, so I might even argue it's "Activation of Powers", not OIHID (i.e. no limitation).

Originally posted by Tom McCarthy

I'm a big fan of the rule, "If you don't see it three times, it's probably not worth points." That sounds like OIHID with a one-time story element that emphasises the underlying objects used to transform into hero ID.

On the other hand, I think the G-Force transformation was actually virtually instantaneous, so I might even argue it's "Activation of Powers", not OIHID (i.e. no limitation).

The only way I'd allow OIHID with an instantaneous change is if its coupled with a strong Secret ID, or some other major limiting factor.

BTW, I'm definitely from the school of thought that says OIHID is just a special case of the focus rules.

IMHO a major disadvantage of OIHID is the inability to make casual use of powers while in secret ID. Like telekineticaly knocking the bowl of brussel sprouts onto the floor when your mother steps out of the room. With OIHID you need a more substantial transformation.

I think OIHID is almost a reapplication of the visible special effects rule. It must be obvious that you are in a position to use your powers. If it isn't obvious that you are "powered up" then you can't reheat your coffee when no one is looking. Or hamper the hostage takers when you can't dare to transform because your secret ID will be revealed.

Primarily I think it depends on how much secret ID's come into play in that particular campaign. If Hero ID is 99% of the campaign then OIHID doesn't apply.

I had an "interesting" experience with OIHID when my character was stunned, and the GM ruled that he automatically reverted to his normal form. Aside from anything else, that seriously compromised his secret identity. Worse than that, it wasn't how I saw the character working.

Needless to say, the character underwent a quick redesign. Unfortunately most of his non-combat stuff went out the window in order to save points.

I was not impressed. If I had wanted his powers to be non-persistent, I would have built them that way.

Alan

Originally posted by assault

I had an "interesting" experience with OIHID when my character was stunned, and the GM ruled that he automatically reverted to his normal form. Aside from anything else, that seriously compromised his secret identity. Worse than that, it wasn't how I saw the character working.

Needless to say, the character underwent a quick redesign. Unfortunately most of his non-combat stuff went out the window in order to save points.

I was not impressed. If I had wanted his powers to be non-persistent, I would have built them that way.

Alan

That reversion thing is pretty harsh. Sounds more like an accidental change disad, not a byproduct of OIHID. Heck, even a focus built armor doesn't change back if you are stunned. Being stunned should be fairly common for all but the toughest characters so that is an awful penalty for a -1/4 lim.

My view - OIHID means it should be somewhat difficult to switch to Hero ID and be obvious to anyone in the same room and possibly in an adjascent room that the change is happening, and powers do not function in secret ID. The other stipulation is that there must be significant campaign time in secret ID so that the absence of powers is meaningful.

Originally posted by Blue Angel

Another possibility is to dump OIHID all together and build characters as normals with multiform. That way the Hero ID gets full points without having to pay for the normal ID skills and the normal ID can buy fleshing out skills to their hearts content.

I do this sometimes, but there's an issue I feel the need to bring up. Don't fall into trap of expecting the players to pay points for a limitation.