Hair Tricks?

Enforcer84

Noticed that neither USPD has prehensile Hair powers. Ninja Hero does, so there's that.

However I want some help in thinking up some minor tricks for my Medusa Wannabe.

Hair Styling: Before when we had Instant change, I'd have used that. However, would

Shapeshift: (Sight & Touch senses; only to alter hair style (and possibly color, I haven't decided yet), 0End)

be more appropriated or would

Transform: 4d6, self only only to change hair style (minor change) be the way to go?

Any other cool powers one with prehensile hair might use?

I have:

Entangle

Extralimb (hair, up to 10 'locks' available with +15 STR for the hair and 4'' stretching)

Hair "Bash" HA

Hair "Whip" HKA

Hair "Needles" RKA

Swinging

any help would be appreciated.

Re: Hair Tricks?

Think of your hairy hero as a follically based Doctor Octopus, and other ideas present themselves.

60 Hair Elongation: Stretching 8”, Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½) 0

5 Living Hair: Extra Limbs 0

15 Hair Tricks: Elemental Control, 45-point Powers; Linked to Stretching (-½) –

15 1) Strong Hair: STR +40, Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½); Hair Only (-½), Linked to Stretching (-½) 0

11 2) Hairy-a-Of-Effect: HA +4d6 (8d6 with STR), Area Of Effect (4” Radius, Selective, +1¼); Hair Only (-0), HA Lim (-½), Linked to Stretching (-½) 4

12 3) Tough Hair: Force Field (15 PD/15 ED), Protects Others (+¼), Reduced Endurance (½ END, +¼); Must Be Aware of Attack or Activation 14- (-¼), Linked to Stretching (-½) 1

13 4) Fast Hair: Running +10” (16” Total), Instant Stand, Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½); Linked to Stretching (-½), No Noncombat Multiplier (-¼) plus Clinging; Hair Only (-¼), Linked to Stretching (-½) 0

10 5) Hair Aware: Clairolsentience (Sight and Hearing), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½); No Range (-½), Linked to Stretching (-½), Visible (-¼) 0

13 Hair Block: Full Missile Deflection; Linked to Stretching (-½) 0

11 Hair Swing: Swinging 16”; Linked to Stretching (-½), No Noncombat Multiplier (-¼) 0

10 Hair Feel: Ranged Discriminatory Touch, 360o; Visible (-¼), Limited Range (8” Touch, -¼), Linked to Stretching (-½) 0

Think of your hairy hero as a follically based Doctor Octopus, and other ideas present themselves.

60 Hair Elongation: Stretching 8”, Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½) 0

5 Living Hair: Extra Limbs 0

15 Hair Tricks: Elemental Control, 45-point Powers; Linked to Stretching (-½) –

15 1) Strong Hair: STR +40, Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½); Hair Only (-½), Linked to Stretching (-½) 0

11 2) Hairy-a-Of-Effect: HA +4d6 (8d6 with STR), Area Of Effect (4” Radius, Selective, +1¼); Hair Only (-0), HA Lim (-½), Linked to Stretching (-½) 4

12 3) Tough Hair: Force Field (15 PD/15 ED), Protects Others (+¼), Reduced Endurance (½ END, +¼); Must Be Aware of Attack or Activation 14- (-¼), Linked to Stretching (-½) 1

13 4) Fast Hair: Running +10” (16” Total), Instant Stand, Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½); Linked to Stretching (-½), No Noncombat Multiplier (-¼) plus Clinging; Hair Only (-¼), Linked to Stretching (-½) 0

10 5) Hair Aware: Clairolsentience (Sight and Hearing), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½); No Range (-½), Linked to Stretching (-½), Visible (-¼) 0

13 Hair Block: Full Missile Deflection; Linked to Stretching (-½) 0

11 Hair Swing: Swinging 16”; Linked to Stretching (-½), No Noncombat Multiplier (-¼) 0

10 Hair Feel: Ranged Discriminatory Touch, 360o; Visible (-¼), Limited Range (8” Touch, -¼), Linked to Stretching (-½) 0

Nice Dave!

Thanks!

Any Idea on my "Hair Styling" power?

I'm thinking I'm going shape shift for it.

Fantastic Four #41: Betrayed by Ben Grimm, story one in the third volume of Essential Fantastic Four, Medusa vs. Sandman:

Sandman: "You can't hold me this way sister! I'll change my body to sand, and ooze right out of your useless hair-grip!"

Medusa: "That is precisely what I expected you to do.. !"

Medusa: "Now, by simply whirling my hair about like a giant fan, I can scatter your particles all over the room!"

Medusa: "This is what makes Madame Medusa the most powerful member by far of the Frightful Four!"

Either she's boasting that what everybody thought was a mere multipower is in fact a hair power pool that lets her put points into whatever she thinks of at the time, or she thinks having her own high-powered fan is the business, or she's just boastful. Or some combination of the above.

In any case, you've got to have an area effect increased knockback air energy blast, or a telekinetic effect or something else that will do the same job, don't you?

I'd go for an NND attack of some sort, possibly HTH (strangulation).

Armor Piercing, or even penetrating, attacks too (singe strands of hair that can penetrate any armor.)

Some other combat-related ideas can be found in an early episode of Inuyasha; eps 4-5, I think, where they fight a monster that uses hair as a weapon.

I played a male character similar to Medusa a long time ago named Narcissus. He was the team's brick so I concentrated on STR tricks and defenses with his hair Powers. Here's what I can remember.

- Extra Limbs

- +STR, Only With Extra Limbs

- Stretching, Limited Body Parts (Hair), No Velocity Damage

- Clinging

- HKA (It was a rough campaign)

We didn't have Restrainable back then, so I just bought his defense powers non-persistent. I think Restrainable, in addition, works much better to simulate that his hair is blocking or tangling up any attacks that hit him.

- Armor, Restrainable, Non-persistent, Visible

- KB Resistance, Restrainable, Non-persistent, Visible

- Missile Deflection, Any Physical Projectile, At Range (Restricted by Stretching), Costs END

Most of his Disads involved his vanity, which caused him to cover his face with an impenetrable mask so it wouldn't get scarred. He was, of course, a professional model. It was short lived but fun character.

- 75% Resistant PD and ED Damage Reduction, 8- Activation (Face Only), OAF (Mask)

EDIT

Mattingly has alot of great stuff there. It's inspired me to recreate this guy at some point. I especially love the...

- Normal Touch, Range, 360o, Targeting, Visible, Limited Range

and I would write the movement powers up as...

- Running, Position Shift, Useable as Swinging

Noticed that neither USPD has prehensile Hair powers. Ninja Hero does, so there's that.

However I want some help in thinking up some minor tricks for my Medusa Wannabe.

Hair Styling: Before when we had Instant change, I'd have used that. However, would

Shapeshift: (Sight & Touch senses; only to alter hair style (and possibly color, I haven't decided yet), 0End)

Transform: 4d6, self only only to change hair style (minor change) be the way to go?

I have:

Entangle

Extralimb (hair, up to 10 'locks' available with +15 STR for the hair and 4'' stretching)

Hair "Bash" HA

Hair "Whip" HKA

Hair "Needles" RKA

Swinging

On the hair power, I PERSONALY would not charge you for it, it is a F/X, maybe I would require a Power Skill Roll, at most (assuming no on the color change)

From the rules lawyer in me, I would probably call it Shape Change, touch only (It still looks the same), would make you pay for sight with the color change, but not wittout it.

Has anyone been in my mind lately? I emailed my GM yesterday to talk about a teen hero concept that had *gasp* living hair!

I'll work in MA for the hair and possibly some autofire or rapidfire attacks. I haven't written her up yet. It's just freaky that this subject came up. *shakes head*

I wrote up a living-hair character quite a while ago, too. The basics have already been covered. A few I used or considered in addition:

+ (x) STR (with the limitation that at least one 'limb' must be used to stabilize because the character's body can't support the weight)

Gliding (Thinking of the spider line effect, hair is fully splayed out above catching the air)

Autofire HA (Multiple tendrils attack depends on whether you see the hair as a single limb or not)

Find Weakness (extra time, Only after grab; that hair just manages to find its way into everything)

Entangle (where the sfx is the hair actually releasing from the head. I like +STR to Grab or Crush if it's still an attached limb)

KB Resist (costs END, hair limbs used to stabilize character by grabbing onto appropriate terrain)

And I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but whipfighting MA is perfect :D

Point of order: I believe that USPD 1 (at least the version I have) has stretchy hair in the Body Powers section.

One of my favorite current characters is a prehensile-hair super, Rapunzel, being run in a teen champs game.

A lot of the stuff mentioned above. Indeed, thought of mainly as a Doc Ock type, just with hair instead of metal tentacles.

Extra limbs

Running, Swinging (hair carrying along)

+Str through hair

Streching, hair only

Missile deflection (arrows, thrown)

+def (hair in the way)

Clinging

+KB resistance if gets rooted in (needs sufficient stuff to grab onto)

Levels - in grab, in sweep. (Eventually want to buy her AE selective on her Str.)

Down the road, want to get spatial awareness out to the limit of the stretching

Maybe an entangle (pluck out an elongated super-strong hair and tie someone up with it)

As a disad, she takes extra damage from Explosions and AE-type attacks, as all that hair spread around gets hit too.

I have:

Entangle

Hair "Bash" HA

Hair "Whip" HKA

Hair "Needles" RKA

Swinging

Rather than the traditional stretching and STR thing, why not use TK with the Physical Manifestation Limitation?

My reasoning behind this is that if someone wanted to cut your hair with the stretching motif, it would be like severing an arm. Yukko in my book.

You could use a variety of effects for it even - Area of Effect selective etc.

Other tricks could include:

Extra DCV levels - being unable to see through the mess of hair

Clinging - using hair to hold/find holds

EB - Hairballs <--- Joke

Flash - flicking hair in your eyes

(depending on the effect you're thinking of) - Leaping, Running

Missile Deflection (bullets) - flicking them out of the air

My two bits

Rather than the traditional stretching and STR thing, why not use TK with the Physical Manifestation Limitation?

My reasoning behind this is that if someone wanted to cut your hair with the stretching motif, it would be like severing an arm. Yukko in my book.

EB - Hairballs <--- Joke

My two bits

more like cutting fingernails. But I see your point.

EB - Hairballs <--- Joke

My two bits

This isn't a bad idea, except that TK will yield a lower max STR if the campaign has a strict max AP limit.

This isn't a bad idea' date=' except that TK will yield a lower max STR if the campaign has a strict max AP limit.[/quote']

But in some ways is much more flexible... and depending on how you limit a power maybe the GM would let it have a higher max. Besides, I don't see prehensile hair being able to rip open tanks and lift battleships. It's used in more subtle and clever ways.

I mean, even at it's base level prehensile hair could get up to 40 STR TK in a 60AP limited game... pretty strong when you think about it.

Flash, Sight Group, AVLD (rigid eye covering) (+3/4).

Flash, Hearing Group, AVLD (ear covering) (+3/4)

HKA, Penetrating.

Change Environment: -X Sight Perception, -X Hearing Perception, -X hexes Running, X STR "TK" (maybe more)

Clinging

Oh, heck, just about anything so long as it doesn't need a range of more than a coupld hexes. :)

When I was thinking up a Prehensile Hair villain for my game, I thought of the idea of giving them extra STR (Extra Limbs Only), with the additional Limitation of (Loses 5 STR per 1").

Basically, because the character would not be able to get the bulk of her hair at her target (the farther away her target is), she would not be able to use the full-force of her hair at maximum extention.