He's A Demon On Wheels

Kevin Scrivner

For Fathers' Day my kids got me a DVD collection of "Speed Racer" episodes. The animation was much more primitive and cartoony than I had remembered (we're talking 1967 limited TV animation) but the characters and story lines were as vivid as ever. In our translations from anime to HERO System we've usually focused on superheroes, space conquerors, or giant robots. But "Speed Racer" provided a lot of action with characters who had to be 50-point normals. (I assume they got a certain number of extra points in order to build their specialized vehicles.) The Racer family and friends battled crooked drivers, smugglers, industrial spies, and plain vanilla gangsters while seeking to win the international championship. And the Mach 5 had to be a contender for the coolest car of the '60s alongside the Batmobile and Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang. There have been other animated series that focused on the adventures of an auto racing team but none has captured the sense of glamour, excitement, and fun like "Speed Racer." Anyone ready to pump up his Combat Driving skill level and take the challenge?

A side note: Mom always told me that Speed's companion Trixie was the perfect girlfriend. They were pals first and foremost, and she and Speed never touched each other.

Not all setting adapt well

You will need to make sure everyone playing this game knows the vehicle rules, building and playing them.

The problem with a gaming troupe and playing a speed racer game, is that the format of the show does not lend itself to team play. Speed is the Hero, everyone else supports him. In a story, this is great. In a game.....

In a game, everyone likes to have the spotlight now and again. Everyone wants to be the hero for one story arc. The "Speed" Format limits that, as Speed's racing... and while a character might have an important subplot (Pop's Competition with another AutoCompany or his own Psych issues with Speed actually racing), Chim/Trixied stumbling into a nest of smugglers/ cheaters/ etc, and so on, Speed is the one that saves the day (well it is actually the Mach5, with speed driving... but you get the idea.)

So the Racing Genre is still a very rich environment. You get your tactical needs in the race, and roleplaying with a variety of cast, and there is always a place for self generated plots (Days of Thunder/ Crash Recovery, Overconfidence being overcome, fear of speed, fear of a technology, etc...). If I was going to run such a game, I would have a racing team, with several drivers (each a PC) and supporting staff (NPCs being run by PCs, as well as the GMs. This would give you all the thrills and chills, without the problems.

The Cartoon NASCAR RACERS did this format. It worked well for them. The old comic TEAM USA did it for motorcycle racing. Everyone gets a story arc, one person gets to be the "star" for that episode, and everyone is still involved because they are running the NPCs.

The Race

Personally, I would never actually play out the entire race. In every race there are a few intense moments of drama. As the GM I would set those scenes up on the map, start everyone on segment 12, and go with it from there.

"Okay, On segment 12 the Ace Racer extends his wheel spike...."

"Okay, car 16 just failed his control roll in the curve. Draws Red and Yellow burning area on the battle mat. "Segment 12, what are you doing"

Racer X (who is secretly Speeds older brother)......

Yes I think we know that by know, Thank You

Yes I too just got the Speed Racer DVD.

The points about the series being focused on Speed are true but assuming that the racer team has been very successful, team Racer should be able to hire additional drivers (remember in the first episode Pops is designing the Mach 5's replacement), so surely they would need drivers for the Mach 6, Mach 7 etc.

I'm not likely to do the work for a Speed Racer campaign, but if I saw one offered at a con I'd probably try to get into it.

Sharing the Limelight

Sure, you'd have to give each player-character his place in the sun but I don't think it would be that much different than providing game play balance in a Justice, Inc. or Danger International campaign. In your crime-busting detective games everyone can't be Sam Spade. In a Speed Racer/NASCAR Racers campaign, each PC would have his own specialty. In a way, Speed Racer already does this:

Speed: boy prodigy driver, but he's still learning the sport. He can do one thing extremely well but needs the other PCs to round things out when he's not in the middle of a race.

Pops: mechanic and inventor. He has to come up with a new gadget to save the day periodically just like any good pulp mad scientist. Plus he's a former champion wrestler so he's got some fisticuffs ability as well.

Racer X: mysterious masked vigilante with a secret agenda. Pretty much along the same lines as your Batman or Shadow character from other genres only the focus is on his driving skill rather than on how well he throws a gun or a boomarang.

Trixie: like Scooby Doo's pal Velma Dinkley, she's the smart one, the gal with all the detective and disguise skills. And she's an experienced pilot for all those pulp aerial action scenes.

Spritle and Chim Chim: yeah, they're comic relief but they also make effective spies and last-minute rescuers because the bad guys always underestimate them.

Plus, if the campaign were true to the series, three-quarters of the action would take place off the track. There's always some skullduggery going on behind the scenes: a plot to fix the championship, an attempt at sabotage or industrial theft, a scheme to smuggle goods across international borders using the big race as a cover. There would be plenty for non-drivers to do. They'd have to save the world AND get the "star" driver to the starting line on time. What? He's still trying to defuse that deathtrap? There goes the new Nar-Cola endorsement deal!

All well and good, but would you want to play Chim Chim and Spritle (Who I always counted as NPCs... but I could be wrong)?

And yes, It is Team America. My mistake.

Note: It is amazing how Marvel was desperate to make every title a Mutant title when everything with a mutant in it was hot. Namor became the first Mutant Hero. Spiderman became the NON Mutant SuperHero (as part of the mast head for a few issues). These people with a great origin tied to Hydra became mutants in one swoop.

Continuing...

Oh there is a great deal of skullduggery off the track. However, how many of those scene do we, as audience, see, that the PC character's don't? Unless you are using the "show the villians" storytelling option, most of the thing happening when the race is not on... won't be seen.

Now there will be action off track. Most of it will be of the soap opera vareity, but there will be other things as well. Non racer PCs require that lots of things occur off the track, so they get there moments of play and don't feel like they are perpetually second fiddles to the driver characters.

An aside: Is Racer X a PC or not? It is the old Aragorn question all over again. Is he the protagonist or just a supporting character? It is like he is playing a different campaign than Speed, and the two campaigns occasionally overlap. I personally would list him as a special NPC for Speed's game.

As GM of a "Speed Racer" campaign I probably wouldn't do write-ups of the television characters and hand them out to the players. My goal would be to capture the feel of the show rather than slavishly translate it into HERO stats. I'd focus on the racing team concept with different characters taking on certain roles: drivers (maybe an aging pro saddled with an upstart young junior driver), mechanic/inventor, business manager/publicist. If you split up the dual positions, you've got character templates for a gaming group of three to five people -- which is the most I can handle comfortably.

Of course I wouldn't depict the villains scheming in a back room. But there's plenty of other ways to hint that something is going on. Someone's sabotaging the cars. A kidnap attempt is made on one of the PCs when they ignore mysterious warnings not to enter a particular competition. They notice that they're being watched by shadowy figures after the business manager refuses a buyout offer from another team. One of the characters gets bopped in the head when he examines the underside of the Mammoth Car too closely.

Once the campaign was rolling I'd probably thrown in homages to the Love Bug movies, Ben-Hur, or whatever other elements seemed to fit.

Originally posted by Space Cadet

MoonHunter, you were'nt by any chance referring to the old

Marvel Team America series, were you? That's the only

comic I can think of that had motorcyclists as the main

characters (and mutant motorcyclists at that).

Space Cadet :confused:

Yeah, didn't they make their introduction in a Captain America comic? I think I have most of that short-run title.

Dudes! For team play make Team Racer with a group of drivers who race for the Team Owner: Speed Racer!

That way nobody is Speed and everybody can have a piece of the "Mach."

AAAaaaaaaah! I am soooo good. I am great. I am glad I thought of this. I'm perfect... and humble too. :P

Originally posted by Agent X

Okay, maybe no one likes that idea.

Nah. It was such a great comeback it left us speechless.

"Speed Racer: The Next Generation." Hmmm. Since Speed could pass the business on to Spritle or to his and Trixie's children, we've got the makings of a franchise to rival Roddenberry's -- if we can make it through that awful first season.

Originally posted by Kevin Scrivner

Nah. It was such a great comeback it left us speechless.

"Speed Racer: The Next Generation." Hmmm. Since Speed could pass the business on to Spritle or to his and Trixie's children, we've got the makings of a franchise to rival Roddenberry's -- if we can make it through that awful first season.

I was thinking about all the anime archetypes that could be used for different racers...

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Agent X

I was thinking about all the anime archetypes that could be used for different racers...

For thoes who don't know, the anime team archtypes are:

1) The Loyal Leader.

2) The Hothead Reble.

3) The Thoughtful Girl.

4) The Big Strong Guy.

And, finaly, 5) The Kid.

Based on the original archtypes whave been showen in Science Ninja Team Gatchaman (Battel Of The Planets/G-Force). Which, by the way, was created by the same people who made Mach Go Go Go (AKA Speed Racer).

Originally posted by AnotherSkip

Wait a minute......

Agent X......

IS SECRETLY DOUGMC"S OLDER BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW that took me forever to figure _that_ out.......

ROFLMBAO

Anyone done a write-up of the Mach 5 yet?

In addition to 300+ mph speed and excellent handling, it would have:

Leaping (pneumatic jacks)

Gliding (undercarriage mini-wings)

Clinging (mountain traction treads)

Swimming + Water Breathing (pressurized cockpit and periscope)

Armor (bullet-proof body and bubble canopy)

UV Vision (swivelling headlights)

Clairsentience (normal sight only) and/or Telekinesis (remote-control homing robot)

And Pops Racer was planning on IMPROVING the car? It could give the Batmobile and Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang a run for their money.

Goto the source

For info on the Mach 5 http://www.speedracer.com/

Control A: “Releases powerful jacks to boost the car so that Sparky, our mechanic, can quickly make any necessary repairs or adjustments.†Although designed for this practical function, the auto jacks have also been used to “leap†the car short distances at high speeds, as a wedge to prevent the car from toppling over a waterfall, as an alternative braking systems, and as a tool to crush cars in a car-wrestling match.

Superleap and gliding (gliding was added mid run, if memory serves)

Control B: Sprouts special grip tires for traction over any kind of terrain. At the same time, 5,000 horsepower is distributed equally to each wheel by auxiliary engines.†Definition of “any kind of terrainâ€: firm, icy, or unsteady ground; ocean floor; vertical mountainsides.

(clinging plus extra strength)

Control C: “For use traveling over heavily wooded terrain. Powerful rotary saws protrude from the front of the Mach 5 to slash and cut any and all obstacles.†The rotary saws have also been used as a means of self-defense.

(2d6 double ap HKA)

Control D: “Releases a powerful deflector which seals the cockpit into an air-conditioned, bullet- and crash-proof, and water-tight chamber. Inside it, I am completely isolated and shielded.†The deflector also protects against sleeping gas.

(Lifesupport plus either armor or forcewall.) Swimming was added late in the run, if memory serves.

Control E: “The control for special illumination which can be traversed singly or in tandem, and which enables me to see much farther and more clearly than with ordinary headlights. It’s invaluable in some weird and dangerous places that I race the Mach 5.†When used with the “night shades†attached to Speed’s helmet, his vision is enhanced with infrared light.

(IR vision/ UV vision, levels to perception)

Control F: “Used when the Mach 5 is under water. First, the cockpit is supplied with oxygen. Then, a periscope is raised to scan the surface of the water. Everything that is seen is relayed down to me by television.†The 100-pound auxiliary supply of oxygen is enough to last for thirty minutes.

(Lifesupport and 1" streching with limit only for periscope/ so you can see).

Control G: “Releases a homing robot from the front of the car. The homing robot can carry pictures or tape recorded messages to whomever or whenever I want to send them.†The robot also can carry handwritten messages, X-ray film, rope, and small Egyptian statues, and it has been used as a means of defense. The bird-like device is operated by a built-in remote control within the cockpit. A separate button sends the robot “home.â€

(This needs to be built as a robot... without INT)