From the mouths of babes

Captain Obvious

Re: From the mouths of babes

<Lord Liaden said: Sometimes we spend too much time worrying about themes, logic and internal consistency in our game worlds, and tend to forget that first and foremost they're supposed to be fun.>

This should be Rule 0 of any RPG.

Make sure you safe guard that. Fifteen years from now you can pull it out and smile. Twenty five years from now you can pull it out and show it to the four-year-old child of your child.

Hmm... it seems that only Cpt. Obvious has given me anything to work with' date=' despite my asking around on some other Mailing Lists. Pity... maybe I should post this on NGD?[/quote']

Eh? I thought the idea I posted in #14 wasn't too bad:

Your characters are space traveller explorers inside the body of a huge, 10,000 mile long living creature that is rapidly approaching the Earth's Solar System (it swallowed your ship, the first manned Earth Ship ever built with a working FTL drive). You have self maintaining Ship-Skin Suits that let you survive, but your ship is too damaged to escape. Inside the creature there are areas with an atmosphere (breathable with Ship-Skins), and entire civilizations of parasites that may have evolved from other travellers. Your goals: Make contact with the creature, or escape and warn Earth!

Eh? I thought the idea I posted in #14 wasn't too bad:

Your characters are space traveller explorers inside the body of a huge, 10,000 mile long living creature that is rapidly approaching the Earth's Solar System (it swallowed your ship, the first manned Earth Ship ever built with a working FTL drive). You have self maintaining Ship-Skin Suits that let you survive, but your ship is too damaged to escape. Inside the creature there are areas with an atmosphere (breathable with Ship-Skins), and entire civilizations of parasites that may have evolved from other travellers. Your goals: Make contact with the creature, or escape and warn Earth!

Oops... missed that. When did you come up with that? (as in what age?).

Oops... missed that. When did you come up with that? (as in what age?).

Ah. PMed you before seeing this.

That was from my early teens, inspired by Heinlein's Universe (still a favorite for nostalgia value) modified in my early twenties by the first Wild Cards book (my first exposure to living ships).

Your characters are Space Navy officers, with a great big ship, only you fight some bad people with a bigger ship, so you need to make a bigger ship. You defeat the bad people.

Only then you run into other bad people with a ship bigger than yours, so you make a bigger ship. You defeat the other bad people.

But then you run into some more bad people whose ship is even bigger! So you make a really huge ship. You defeat the some more bad people.

Repeat ad nauseum. You now have a kid's campaign.

Or the entire Lensman and skylark series. :rofl:

Actually I was thinking of doing a DH article, using the Worlds Of Empire format, on a world founded as a colony during the Interstellar Age by a genetics corporation that had access to the DNA of several dinosaur species (yes, inspired by Jurassic Park) along with a group of conservation-minded Native Americans (somewhat like Chakotay's people in the Star Trek universe). With the right mix of circumstances they become blaster-toting, stegosaur-riding Apache.

You are a team of space explorers aboard a small but sturdy starship. One day you crash on a planet populated by intelligent farm animals that are the slave race of a race of grotesque and cruel giants. Also, a monstrous feline roams the landscape, but after the initial fear factor the explorers realise it is a benevolent creature that means them no harm and in fact protects and warms them during the freezing nights, but the giants fear it.

The animals and the explorers join forces to overthrow the giants, who also have cruel and heaviliy armed guards and a battle ensues. In the midst of battle, the giants' power crystal is destroyed, and the planet begins to self destruct. So the explorers and intelligent animals board the ship and escape in the nick of time and begin the long journey back to earth as sort of a space going Noah's Ark.

The story is in my language now, but based a story I remember playing out with my toys at around the age of 7 or 8 I'd guess.

The cast:

Spaceship - lego

Explorers - Lego men and women

Intelligent Animlas - Plastic farm animals

Giants - My sister's dolls

Giant's guards - Pocket People, Star Wars Action figures, Micronauts

Monstrous Feline - My cat, Mickey Mouse (R.I.P.)

The story I recall from my own childhood (maybe first grade) concerned several adventurers who donned heat-proof suits so they could enter the lava-world inside a volcano and defeat the monster inside. The monster had a giant spike for a face. They nicknamed it Pinocchio. When they defeated it, they discovered a bejeweled crown as a treasure.

wow... so, reading this, I tried to remember either of my daughters various play sessions and endless stories. I often ask them what they're playing at and watch them do so for hours sometimes while my wife and I read. So, let me try to summarize their running campaign (for it is truly epic and broad in scope and apparently serial) with a wide brush.

There are several families of anywhere from 4 to 18 in members, each family unique in origin from the large furry or puffy (stuffed) to the extremely short and rigid (block people) who ALL go to school together.

They love to go to the Ice Cream planet, sometimes the Candy planet, for field trips and reverie... and general bickering about dresses, shoes, and occupations. (yes, I'm in a lot of trouble when they get older... )

Now, these families are ruled by the various princesses, whose father gives them anything they desire, except candy, which they get from their mother. The orincesses rule by right and might, as they often explain to their populace that they shouldn't do whatever they were doing because its "not nice." And if they don't listen, they're gonna tell, or possibly kick some butt themselves. Often, they do it themselves.

The world they inhabit seems to be pretty nice, as a lot of people seem to own 67 Camaros (my daughter really likes my car).

However, despite all this creamy and sugary goodness, one must beware... because if you go too far, you'll end up in "the bad places" where roving zombies chase you to eat your brains (my fault, late night movie and sudden child visitation from slumber...)... unless you give them ice cream, which gives then brain freeze, thus allowing escape and occasionally a "you're not nice" talk followed by brain chewing. Amongst the other pitfalls of these places are the Eye on Fire (they love LotR), they flying bad faeries, and giant dragons and elephants that want to step on you.

A large part of the story tends to revolve around school and camping.

you'll end up in "the bad places" where roving zombies chase you to eat your brains

When my daughter was about 3, she was explaining to my sister-in-law that we have eyes to see the sun and stars and a nose to sniff the pretty flowers. My sister-in-law asked her why we have ears, and she replied "To hear ghosts and zombies."

I don't know where that came from...

When my daughter was about 3' date=' she was explaining to my sister-in-law that we have eyes to see the sun and stars and a nose to sniff the pretty flowers. My sister-in-law asked her why we have ears, and she replied "To hear ghosts and zombies."[/quote']

I like your daughter. My kinda kid. :)