Herofist

Willow

Quite a few people said they were keen on seeing how this turned out, so I started a thread to dump everything related to HEROFIST into.

What is HEROFIST? It's an adaptation of Shadowfist/Feng Shui for the HERO rules set.

Here's some random stuff I have written up. Critique anything that irks you, praise anything you love, and post anything you think I gotta write up.

---

Skills:

Everyman Skills:

Everyone gets Language: English and Language: Cantonese.

Modern, 1920s, Future:

Per Modern Everyman, pg 46

Ancient, 19th Century:

Replace TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles with TF: Horses

Powers/Talents:

Fortune Points: You have a number of Fortune Points. Each session, you can spend a Fortune Point to gain +4 on any 3d6 roll, or to gain +4 DCV for one attack. (4 10-pt Skill Levels: 40, Metagame Effect: Controlled by Player, not Character +0, Charges: Varies) Real Cost: 13 for 1, 16 for 2, 18 for 3, 20 for 4, etc.

Gun Schticks:

Carnival of Carnage:

In the hands of this character, any handgun (up to a value of 50 Active Points) can be used to spread massive carnage. Any Revolver or Pistol type weapon gains the Autofire Advantage (2 or 3 shots). (Naked Advantage: Autofire for Pistols, up to 50 active Points, +1/4: 13 pts, only against unnamed characters -1/2: 9 pts )

Carnival of Carnage (Mark II):

In the hands of this character, any handgun (up to a value of 50 Active Points) is an implement of death. Any Revolver or Pistol type weapon gains the Autofire Advantage (5 shots). (Naked Advantage: Autofire for Pistols, up to 50 active Points, +1/2: 25 pts, only against unnamed characters -1/2: 17 pts)

Ten Thousand Bullets:

You never have to reload, and you never run out of ammo. This only works on guns with an Active Point value of 75 or less. (Naked Advantage: Does Not Have Charges +3/4, Cost: 56 Points)

Superleap Schticks:

Great Leap:

The character can leap 6” (vertical 3”) (this assumes a base str/leap of 10/2”) (Leaping +4, Accurate: 9 pts)

Superleap:

The character can leap 12” (vertical 6”) (this assumes a base str/leap of 15/3”) (Leaping +9, Accurate, 14 pts.)

Peony Blossom Step:

The character can fly at a movement rate of 6”, but must end each turn in contact with a solid surface to maintain any upward momentum . (Flight 6, Useable as Gliding +1/4, Must End in Contact With a Surface When Flying -1/4, 12 pts.)

Lightfoot Stance:

The character can fly at a movement rate of 9”. (Flight 9”, Useable as Gliding +1/4, 23 pts.)

Toughness Schticks:

Is That All You Got?:

The character takes only half damage from physical attacks (after defenses), and ¾ damage from energy attacks (after defenses). This counts as a Resistant Physical Defense. (Damage Reduction: 50% Resistant Physical, 25% Energy: 40 pts)

Toughness:

The character has 3 points of resistant, hardened armor. (Armor: 3 PD, 3 ED: 9 pts, Hardened +1/4: 11 pts)

Disadvantages:

Abomination: Human Looking. Certain technology and spells can detect the Abomination. (Distinctive Feature: Concealable with Major Effort, Extreme Reaction, Detectable only with Unusual Senses): 10 pts.

Abomination: Obvious (Distinctive Feature: Not Concealable, Extreme Reaction): 25 pts.

Arcane Aura: The character has the ability to perform magic, and other magicians may be able to see this on his soul. (Distinctive Feature: Not Concealable, Always Noticed, Detectable only with Unusual Senses): 10 pts.

Cyborg: Concealed (Distinctive Feature: Concealable with Effort, Always Noticed, Only By Technology, Not Distinctive in 2070): 0 pts.

Cyborg: Obvious (Distinctive Feature: Concealable with Effort, Always Noticed, Not Distinctive in 2070): 10 pts.

Cyborg Monkey (Distinctive Feature: Not Concealable, Always Noticed): 20

Demon: Human Looking. Certain spells can detect the Demon’s true nature. (Distinctive Feature: Concealable with Major Effort, Extreme Reaction, Detectable only with Unusual Senses): 10 pts.

Demon: Obvious (Distinctive Feature: Not Concealable, Extreme Reaction): 25 pts.

Supernatural Chi: The character’s internal chi-flows are aligned, allowing them to use martial arts. However, this can be detected by other powerful martial artists and magicians. (Distinctive Feature: Not Concealable, Always Noticed, Detectable only with Unusual Senses): 10 pts.

Transformed Animal: Reversion: Transformed Animals risk turning back into their animal forms in high-magic areas. (Susceptibility: Common Condition, Takes Damage every Day, Damage: Major Transform 2d6, Mind and Body: 60 Active Points ) 20 pts.

Re: Herofist

I did Fu Schticks for HERO Here:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/herosource/fu.html

Also, some FS monsters are here:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionscreatures/creatures.html#fs

And a character sheet for Deathshadow is here:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsrpg/FSdeathshadow.html

Cool beans, I'll have to look over those.

I'm going for less of a straight conversion, and I'm more heavily relying on SF chrome than FS.

I do think we're going for different power-levels. I'm looking at high-Heroic, and those stats for CHAR are downright superheroic. (Although I don't know how badass he's presented in FS. In Shadowfist, he's damn good and efficient for his price, but there's bigger stuff out there.)

Cool beans, I'll have to look over those.

I'm going for less of a straight conversion, and I'm more heavily relying on SF chrome than FS.

I do think we're going for different power-levels. I'm looking at high-Heroic, and those stats for CHAR are downright superheroic. (Although I don't know how badass he's presented in FS. In Shadowfist, he's damn good and efficient for his price, but there's bigger stuff out there.)

CHARs total lack of luck makes him less powerful in Feng Shui than he might otherwise seem. His stats seem about right to me, considering he's supposed to be able to take on an entire group of starting PCs on equal terms, but I might reduce his Speed to 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I came up with as a starting character template. Note that there's no disads included, he clocks in at 150 and my target point value was actually 200 (we'll see where the other ones come in, and maybe we'll mod this one to match.) Note that I'm considering not using killing attacks and converting everything to normal damage, which is why there isn't any resistant defenses on this guy.

Template: Big Bruiser

Quote: “Is That All You Got?”

STR 20 10

DEX 11 3

CON 20 20

BODY 19 18

INT 10

EGO 12 4

PRE 15 5

COM 10

PD: 7 (3)

ED: 7 (3)

SPD: 3

REC: 8

END: 40

STUN: 40 (1)

OCV/DCV: 4

ECV: 4

Skills:

Acting 8-

Climbing 13- (7)

Concealment 8-

Combat Skill Levels:

+3 OCV with One Weapon (Player’s Choice) (6)

Conversation 8-

Deduction 8-

Language: English

Language: Cantonese

Paramedics 8-

Persuasion 8-

PS: Your Choice 11-

PS: Your Choice 8-

Shadowing 8-

Stealth 8-

Survival: Deserts, Mountains: 11- (3)

TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

AF: Home Country 8-

Weapon Familiarity: Common Melee Weapons, Common Firearms, Common Missile Weapons (6)

10 Points of Skills (Player’s Choice)

Abilities:

Intimidating:

For purposes of Intimidation, the character’s Presence is 5 higher. (+5 Presence: 5, Only For Intimidation -1/4: 4)

Is That All You Got?:

The character takes only half damage from physical attacks (after defenses), and ¾ damage from energy attacks (after defenses). This counts as a Resistant Physical Defense. (Damage Reduction: 50% Physical, 25% Energy: 30 pts)

Toughness:

The character has 3 points of hardened armor. This applies only against unnamed characters. (PD, ED +3: 6 pts, Hardened +1/4, Only Against Unnamed Characters -1/4, 6 pts.)

Sturdy:

The character suffers five fewer inches of knockback. (Knockback Resistance 5: 10 pts)

No, it's just another setting, but I want to clarify that it contains Shadowfist stuff, not just Feng Shui stuff. And that's just the inspiration: I'm not going for a word for word conversion of a given card or character writeup from the books.

Here's my updated, quote filled Big Bruiser:

Template: Big Bruiser

Quote: “Is That All You Got?”

STR 20 10

DEX 11 3

CON 20 20

BODY 20 20

INT 10

EGO 13 6

PRE 15 5

COM 10

PD: 8 (4)

ED: 8 (4)

SPD: 3

REC: 8

END: 40

STUN: 41

OCV/DCV: 4

ECV: 4

Skills:

Acting 8-

Breakfall 8- (1)

Climbing 13- (7)

Concealment 8-

Combat Skill Levels:

+3 OCV with One Weapon (6)

Conversation 8-

Deduction 8-

KS: Streetfighting Style 11- (2)

Paramedics 8-

Persuasion 8-

Shadowing 8-

Stealth 8-

Streetwise 8- (1)

Survival: Deserts, Mountains: 11- (3)

Weapon Familiarity: Common Melee Weapons, Common Firearms, Common Missile Weapons (6)

10 Points of Skills (Player’s Choice)

Martial Arts: (Streetfighting)

Weapon Element: Clubs (1)

Chin Block (4)

Roundhouse (4)

Tackle (3)

Abilities:

Intimidating:

For purposes of Intimidation, the character’s Presence is 5 higher. (+5 Presence: 5, Only For Intimidation -1/4: 4)

Is That All You Got?:

The character takes only half damage from physical attacks (after defenses), and ¾ damage from energy attacks (after defenses). This counts as a Resistant Physical Defense. (Damage Reduction: 50% Resistant Physical, 25% Energy: 40 pts)

Toughness:

The character’s PD and ED are considered resistant. (Damage Resistance 8 points.)

More Toughness:

The character has 3 points of resistant, hardened armor. This applies only against unnamed characters. (3 PD, 3 ED: 9 pts, Hardened +1/4, Only Against Unnamed Characters -1/2, 8 pts.)

Sturdy:

The character suffers five fewer inches of knockback. (Knockback Resistance 5: 10 pts)

“Now You’ve Made Me Mad!”: If the character has taken more than twenty STUN or twenty BODY, he gains an additional 3 points of resistant, hardened armor. (3 PD, 3 ED: 9 pts, Hardened +1/4, Only While Under Half BODY or STUN -1/4, 9 pts.)

Template: Everyday Hero

Quote: “I may not have the slightest idea of what’s going on, but I’m an American, dammit! And that means I got two big American fists, a big American heart, and a big American gun!”

STR 13 3

DEX 13 9

CON 13 6

BODY 13 6

INT 13 3

EGO 13 6

PRE 13 3

COM 12 1

PD 5 (2)

ED 5 (2)

SPD 3

REC 6

END 30 (2)

STUN 30 (3)

Acting 8-

Climbing 8- (1)

Combat Driving 12- (3)

Combat Skill Level:

+1 OCV/DCV With any Hand to Hand combat (5)

Concealment 8-

Conversation 8-

Deduction 8-

Fast Draw 8- (1)

Gambling 12- (2)

Paramedics 8-

Persuasion 8-

PS: Beer 11- (2)

PS: Sports 12- (3)

Rapid Attack (Use Sweep as a Half-Phase Action) (5)

Shadowing 8-

Stealth 8-

Streetwise 11- (2)

Teamwork 8- (1)

TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles, Construction & Agricultural Vehicles, Snowmobiles (4)

AF: Home Country 11- (2)

10 points of skills, player’s choice.

Weapon Familiarity: Common Melee Weapons, Common Firearms (4)

Powers:

Carnival of Carnage:

In the hands of this character, any handgun (up to a value of 50 Active Points) can be used to spread massive carnage. Any Revolver or Pistol type weapon gains the Autofire Advantage (2 or 3 shots). (Naked Advantage: Autofire for Pistols, up to 50 active Points, +1/4: 13 pts, only against unnamed characters -1/2: 9 pts )

Combat Luck:

The character receives 6 points of Resistant, Hardened Armor. This applies only to attacks the character is attempting to avoid. (Armor, 6 PD 6 ED: 18 pts, Hardened +1/4, Luck-based -1/2, Nonpersistent -1/4, 12 pts.)

Dash:

Running +2 (4 pts.)

Fortune Points:

You have twelve Fortune Points. Each session, you can spend a Fortune Point to gain +4 on any 3d6 roll, or to gain +4 DCV for one attack. (4 10-pt Skill Levels: 40, Metagame Effect: Controlled by Player, not Character +0, Charges: 12 -1/2 Real Cost: 32)

“Good Thing That Was There!”

The character always seems to be able to duck behind cover at just the right moment. You have 6 points of Resistant Armor, but there has to be something reasonably nearby for you to hide behind. (Armor, 6 PD, 6 ED: 18 pts, Luck Based -1/2, Nonpersistent -1/4, Focus: Cover of Opportunity OIF -1/2, Only Against Ranged Attacks -1/4, 7 pts.)

Good Old Fashioned American Work Ethic:

Power Defense 10 against Drains etc. (Power Defense 10)

Luck:

6d6 Dice of Luck. (Luck 6d6, 30 points)

“Take This!”

The character has a knack for making the best of whatever happens to be around. The character can use any improvised weapon to do +2d6 damage. (Or the weapon’s normal damage, whatever is better.) This costs 1 END to use. (If you keep using the same weapon, it stops being improvised.) (Hand to Hand attack +2d6, 10 points, Hand to Hand Attack -1/2, Focus: Improvised Weapons of Opportunity OIF, -1/2, 5 pts.)

Template: Martial Artist

Quote: “My Kung Fu Is Superior!”

STR: 15 5

DEX: 17 21

CON: 15 10

BODY: 15 10

INT: 13 3

EGO: 14 8

PRE: 10

COM: 10

PD: 5 (2)

ED: 5 (2)

SPD 4 (3)

REC: 6

END: 34 (2)

STUN: 31

CV: 6

ECV: 5

Skills:

Acting 8-

Acrobatics 13- (3)

Breakfall 13- (3)

Climbing 8- (1)

Combat Skill Levels:

+2 OCV or DCV with Shaolin Leopard Kung-Fu (6)

Concealment 11- (2)

Contortionist 14- (5)

Conversation 8-

Deduction 8-

KS: Eastern Philosophy 8- (1)

KS: Shaolin Leopard Kung-Fu 11- (2)

Paramedics 11- (2)

Persuasion 8-

Shadowing 11- (2)

Stealth 8-

WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons (4)

10 Skill Points, Player’s Choice

Martial Arts: Shaolin Leopard Style

Leopard Block (4)

Leopard Dodge (4)

Leopard Punch (4)

Abilities:

Chi Strike

The character does +2d6 in Hand to Hand combat against unnamed characters. This costs 1 end to use. (Hand to Hand Attack 2d6, 10pts, Hand to Hand Attack -1/2, Only Against Unnamed Characters -1/2, 5 pts.)

Combat Luck

The character gains 6 points of resistant, hardened defenses. These apply only when the character is aware of and attempting to avoid the damage in question. (Armor 6 PD, 6 ED, 18 pts, Hardened +1/4, Luck-based -1/2, Nonpersistent -1/4, 12 pts.)

Defense Maneuvers I-II

No attackers are ever considered to be “from behind,” and attackers you can perceived do not get multiple attacker bonuses. (5 pts.)

Great Leap:

The character can leap 6” (vertical 3”) (this assumes a base str/leap of 10/2”) (Leaping +3, Accurate: 8 pts)

Dim Mak

The character can use this chi power when making a Leopard Punch attack. Only half the normal defense applies, and the amount of stun the opponent takes after defenses is always at least the amount of body rolled. This costs 5 END. (Leopard Punch Advantage: Armor Piercing, Penetrating +1: 25 pts.)

Fortune Points: You have three Fortune Points. Each session, you can spend a Fortune Point to gain +4 on any 3d6 roll, or to gain +4 DCV for one attack. (4 10-pt Skill Levels: 40, Metagame Effect: Controlled by Player, not Character +0, Charges: 3 Real Cost: 18)

Hands Without Shadow:

The character receives +3 OCV against an opponent who attempts to Block or Dodge. This costs 1 END to use, and applies only to the character’s martial arts attacks. (3 CSLs 9 pts. Only to OCV -0, Only Against a Block or Dodge -1/2, Costs END to Use -1/4: 5 pts.)

Template: “Old Master”

Quote: “You Have Offended Shaolin!”

STR: 10

DEX: 14 12

CON: 14 8

BODY: 12 4

INT: 18 8

EGO: 15 10

PRE: 15 5

COM: 10

PD 6 (4)

ED 6 (3)

SPD 3

REC 4

END 30 (1)

STUN 24

Acrobatics 11- (2)

Acting 8-

Analyze Style 14- (5)

Breakfall 11- (2)

Combat Skill Levels:

+3 OCV or DCV with Wing Chun Kung Fu (9)

Concealment 8-

Contortionist 8- (1)

Conversation 8-

Deduction 8-

KS: Chinese Philosophy 13- (2)

KS: History 13- (2)

KS: Wing Chun Kung Fu 13- (2)

Paramedics 8-

Persuasion 8-

PS: Instructor 11-

Scholar (3)

Shadowing 8-

Sleight of Hand 8- (1)

Skill Level: Kung Fu Master: +1 to Acrobatics, Analyze Style, or KS: WCKF (3)

Stealth 8-

WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons (4)

10 points of skills, player’s choice.

Wing Chun Kung Fu Maneuvers:

Block (4)

Kick (5)

Legsweep (3)

Tien-Hsueh Strike (4)

Reputation +2: Kung Fu Master 11-, among all Martial Artists (2)

Powers:

Armored in Life:

The character’s PD and ED are considered resistant. (Damage Resistance, 6 pts.)

Chi Strike

The character does +2d6 in Hand to Hand combat against unnamed characters. This costs 1 end to use. (Hand to Hand Attack 2d6, 10pts, Hand to Hand Attack -1/2, Only Against Unnamed Characters -1/2, 5 pts.)

Defense Maneuver I-IIII

The character always gets his full DCV, even if attacked from behind, by multiple attackers, or taken by surprise. (10 pts.)

Know the Enemy:

By spending a half phase, making a roll at 11-, and sizing up the enemy, the character can divide by half a certain type of the opponent’s defense. Only the character can take advantage of this, and it lasts for the whole combat. This applies only to the character’s martial arts attacks. (Find Weakness, Martial Arts Attacks, 20 pts.)

Peony Blossom Step:

The character can fly at a movement rate of 6”, but must end each turn in contact with a solid surface to maintain any upward momentum . (Flight 6, Useable as Gliding +1/4, Must End in Contact With a Surface When Flying -1/4, 12 pts.)

Robust Style:

Any attempt to use Find Weakness or Analyze Style on the character suffers a -5 penalty (Lack of Weakness 5, Resistant Defenses and Analyze.: 10 pts.)

See The Flows

You are an expert in perceiving and targeting chi flows, and gain +2d6 damage in Hand to Hand attacks. This costs 1 END to use, and requires a successful Analyze Style roll at -1. (Hand to Hand Attack 2d6, 10 pts, Hand to Hand Attack -1/2, Requires a Skill Roll -1/2, 5 pts.)

The Willow Bends

Once a day, you can focus your chi energies to heal yourself. You gain back 3d6 Stun and the appropriate Body. This costs 3 points of END to use. (Healing 3d6, 30 Points. Charges: 1/day -2, Self Only -1/2, 9 pts.)

Template: Everyday Hero

Quote: “I may not have the slightest idea of what’s going on, but I’m an American, dammit! And that means I got two big American fists, a big American heart, and a big American gun!”

PS: Beer 11- (2)

PS: Sports 12- (3)

Since these are all Info skills in Feng Shui, I'd change these PS to a KS. The Everyman Hero knows about beer and sports, but isn't a professional beer drinker or athlete.

• 6 years later...
  • 9 months later...