How would you use Gravitar?

Lord Liaden

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: How would you use Gravitar?

I've always wanted to use the Gravitar and Viperia gal-pal plot seed' date=' growing it into a full fledged villain team in over-the-top mass destruction rather than subtle plan mode. Both are emotionally young women with vast personal power and only a limited grasp of how to use that power to get what they really want (Viperia, who I've come to like far more over the years, is almost childlike). [/quote']

It would be like a less aesthetically objectionable version of The Simple Life.

I can see this plan working for a while' date=' particularly if the operatives of VIPER play on Gravitar's vanity. She would in particular make a powerful and easily-aimed weapon against Eurostar. Long-term association with VIPER is a different proposition IMO. Gravitar is very far from stupid, and would eventually twig to the fact that she was being manipulated by VIPER. When that happens her wrath would be fearsome. The Supreme Serpent and Nama are both shrewd enough to perceive this, so I think they'd cut all ties to Gravitar as soon as she was no longer needed for their immediate plans.[/quote']

Well yes but that's where the 'lightning rod for all the superheroes' part comes in. The plan is not to have Gravitar around long term but to use her to help trash Eurostar and possibly UNTIL if they can keep up the deception long enough and have VIPER's reputation cause the superhero community to become focussed on her. The idea being that if Gravitar attracts enough superheroes they could take her out by sheer weight of numbers, such a fight would certainly take out a number of superheroes. Of course this works best if Viperia is more loyal to her Daddy's orginization then she is to her new friend.

Gravitar suffers a serious accident (radiation, virus, etc) that wildly affects her personality. Maybe it's in a battle with the PCs. The heros don't know this affects her, and are surprised to find they are fighting her later - when she was at the scene to help!

Once the PCs accept that she's become good, she becomes callous, a prankster, etc. (whatever keeps the players puzzled) until the PCs know she's mentally unstable.

During this time, her powers have been slowly and subtly escalating. When ready from a game-fun perspective, Gravitar's powers grow out of control. Violence & destruction follow (fill in the blank whether it's accidental / side effect / criminal). She is way powerful & unlikely to be stopped by the PCs.

Stop her or not, she soon becomes incredibly massive and can't stop it. She sinks into the ground - by this time the PCs better have figured out what's happening. They either know (through good RP) or scientists explain she has run-away density increase that will (a) sink her into the Earth (B) suck the planet into a black hole.

Can the heros find the solution (antiviral, radiation neutralization, etc.) in time? Can they reach her as she sinks slowly down into the Earth? How do you reach someone that's 1,500' down? Is she still alive due to her crazy powers, or is she some horrible gravity-amplifying corpse?

I'm afraid Gravitar is one of my (If not flat out THE) least favorite of the Master Villains for reasons I've stated in the past. Frankly, I'm surprised she isn't Menton's pet by now, as her raw power WOULD be a useful weapon against Dr. Destroyer. However, none of that is helpful to this thread so...

I kind of like the "Girl's Night Out" scenerio, something akin to the Batman:tAS with Poison Ivy and Quinn, but obviously on a much grander power level. Viperia teaming up with Gravitar might be pretty cool so I might run with that as a short scenerio.

Another one that might work would be a team up with Isvatha V'Han. If those two should meet, they might strike up an interesting friendship. They have similar interests ("Conquer, Conquer, Tea, Conquer, attend party, and Conquer") but V'han could teach Gravitar a bit more diplomatic subtlety and political nuance (let alone tactics), while respecting Gravitar's confidence, power and scientific accuemen. Imagine the two women striking a 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' where they agree to conquer the world together, and perhaps split it, or (perhaps less likely) Gravitar offers to be magistrate of Earth for V'han as long as she gets to run it as she sees fit. Suddenly, Gravitar has legions of D-Troopers at her disposal and a battle plan drawn up by the Empress of a billion dimensions herself.

Another thing not often considered is Gravitar IS scientifically skilled. This could lead to some silver age style plot seeds. What if she decides to harness the gravimetrics to create a time warp to send her back long enough to kill her greatest foes or rivals and make it so they never existed?

Suddenly, the PCs may find themselves drafted by Dr. Destroyer, as he points out history is changing right in front of their eyes for the worse, and clearly more people than he suffered because of Gravitar's attempt to play goddess. They must go back and stop her, while he stablizes things here.

Lastly, there are few characters a noble sacrifice won't redeem. Perhaps storyline where a big bad on a Galactus level threat approaches the planet and the PCs need all the help that they can get. It turns out the threat is SOMEwhat vulnerable to Gravity powers... and the PCs turn to Gravitar, perhaps playing on her arrogance "Is this planet yours or not?"

Gravitar spends her last dying breath seeking to hammer against the entity, refusing to give up her own claim to Earth, and refusing to kneel in defeat... she'd rather die; and die she does, bloody, battered, but defiant.

The scene could end with the superheroes gathered around a memorial that simply reads:

Here lies Gravitar

A life time as our bane

a moment as our savior

Rest in Peace

I must spread some rep around before giving it to Hermit again.

I particularly liked the V'Han as mentor and noble death ideas. Good calls both.

That the noble death sets the stage for the Cult of Gravitar and a Resurection storyline makes it even more of a chance to see her grow as a character.

I'm not sure I buy that one, though. V'Han's interests and perspective are of sufficient scale that I just don't see them having anything really in common. I could *maybe* see V'Han persuading her to help take over Earth and become its seneschal, but only after Gravitar has gone through some maturing first sufficient that she'd actually contribute.

I think I have a scarier idea then Gravitar as Foxbat's boyfriend

The mental images of that, as exactly written, break my brain. :nonp:

As for how I'd use her (bad jokes aside), it would probably depend on what campaign in particular I was using her in. In most of them, probably start out with a nice, quiet, simple "threaten to smash things unless they give in to me" scenario.

Then, as she goes along... I have to agree that she's the one I could see turning to good best. Which is where it gets fun.

Her weakness, mentally, makes her a beautiful target for a few people, Menton included. I could see her easily ending up under Menton's control. But what would he do with her (aside from a variety of humiliating things that don't bear mentioning, just because he's That Kind of Jerk)? Menton's too subtle to just have her play muscle for him, the way I've always thought of him.

No, I think he would have her turn good, or at least seem to.

First, work with a group of heroes to take out Doctor D for good when they get the chance (she's got the firepower, after all, at least potentially). Then have her start acting like a hero, earn some good publicity... maybe earn herself a pardon even. Reveal her identity, and start using her newfound celebrity to earn herself a nice place in society and politics - she'd be incredibly influential, I'm sure.

Influence which Menton could put to excellent use, even if he didn't use her as muscle anymore.

And so, in the end, when the players find out... what will they do about it? After all, he's turned an absolute menace into a superheroine and champion of good causes... he's used her to destroy the Destroyer....

Doesn't that make up for stripping her of her free will and occasionally advancing his own causes in exchange?

Another one that might work would be a team up with Isvatha V'Han. If those two should meet' date=' they might strike up an interesting friendship. They have similar interests ("Conquer, Conquer, Tea, Conquer, attend party, and Conquer") but V'han could teach Gravitar a bit more diplomatic subtlety and political nuance (let alone tactics), while respecting Gravitar's confidence, power and scientific accuemen. Imagine the two women striking a 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' where they agree to conquer the world together, and perhaps split it, or (perhaps less likely) Gravitar offers to be magistrate of Earth for V'han as long as she gets to run it as she sees fit. Suddenly, Gravitar has legions of D-Troopers at her disposal and a battle plan drawn up by the Empress of a billion dimensions herself.[/quote']This isn't as far-fetched as people might think. This thread prompted me to go back to her write-up and it makes clear the reason why she hasn't made any real effort to conquer the world, despite that being her stated ambition.
She simply wants to be acknowledged as the most powerful person on Earth, whose orders all must obey - much as if she were the mistress of a houshold, and all the world her servants.
An alliance with V'han would allow this, and V'han would have a visible governor who has little to fear from the costumed superbeings of this world.

"Baroness Erica d'Monstressart. It has a nice ring to it, n'est-ce pas?"

The mental images of that, as exactly written, break my brain. :nonp: ... Menton's too subtle to just have her play muscle for him, the way I've always thought of him.

No, I think he would have her turn good, or at least seem to.

First, work with a group of heroes to take out Doctor D for good when they get the chance (she's got the firepower, after all, at least potentially). Then have her start acting like a hero, earn some good publicity... maybe earn herself a pardon even. Reveal her identity, and start using her newfound celebrity to earn herself a nice place in society and politics - she'd be incredibly influential, I'm sure.

Influence which Menton could put to excellent use, even if he didn't use her as muscle anymore.

And so, in the end, when the players find out... what will they do about it? After all, he's turned an absolute menace into a superheroine and champion of good causes... he's used her to destroy the Destroyer....

Doesn't that make up for stripping her of her free will and occasionally advancing his own causes in exchange?

Brilliant.

I think her first order of business should be to kidnap a world famous fashion designer to redo her costume for her. The Viperia team-up is a good idea - and a cruel one. Add firewing and you've got the Trio from hell. What if she were to extort a country with major tectonic or volcanic activity by using her powers to cause a natural disaster? Maybe she needs a power-boosting device to be genre-exact and decides to steal some weird project DARPA is working on? Or maybe she falls inexplicably in love with Foxbat and joins him in carrying out his crimes - or maybe he's scared of her affections and starts a super-machinating foxbat-master-plan to trick the hero's into getting her off his back? Or maybe foxbat manages to get these three (gravitar, viperia, firewing) to band together in his undefeatable league of crime. Maybe he amuses them, like a cat playing with a mouse - or maybe helping the Fozz attain victory is sweet collective revenge on those meddling heroes. Oh, wait, this thread wasn't about Foxbat (and let us not forget Hermit's Batfox). Okay, so gravitar, yeah.

I'm afraid Gravitar is one of my (If not flat out THE) least favorite of the Master Villains for reasons I've stated in the past. Frankly' date=' I'm surprised she isn't Menton's pet by now, as her raw power WOULD be a useful weapon against Dr. Destroyer. However, none of that is helpful to this thread so...[/quote']

Hmm, I agree and I like this idea as well. :)

Another one that might work would be a team up with Isvatha V'Han. If those two should meet, they might strike up an interesting friendship. They have similar interests ("Conquer, Conquer, Tea, Conquer, attend party, and Conquer") but V'han could teach Gravitar a bit more diplomatic subtlety and political nuance (let alone tactics), while respecting Gravitar's confidence, power and scientific accuemen. Imagine the two women striking a 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' where they agree to conquer the world together, and perhaps split it, or (perhaps less likely) Gravitar offers to be magistrate of Earth for V'han as long as she gets to run it as she sees fit. Suddenly, Gravitar has legions of D-Troopers at her disposal and a battle plan drawn up by the Empress of a billion dimensions herself.

Now this is very interesting. There could also be the "double-cross" at the end where V'han tries to dispose of Gravitar once Earth is conquered (if that happens).

The time plot I'm not so interested in, but I do like the above.