Morlocks in our Future!

Karmakaze

Stolen rather shamelessly from a metafilter post:

Evolutionary theorist Dr Curry predicts humanity will "split in two". At the very least this should provide material for playground insults. At the top end, as Dr Curry says, we could be living in Wells' The Time Machine. Only without the time machine, sadly.

I don't actually buy this theory, but it seemed like it might make good Pulp Hero or SciFi fodder.

Re: Morlocks in our Future!

o/` crackpo-o-ot... o/`

This seriously sounds like someone who can't get a date.

But the key phrase to identify him as off the beaten evolutionary track was:

Chins would recede, as a result of having to chew less on processed food.
You don't lose a characteristic just because you don't use it. You gain a characteristic as a result of it having been beneficial to your ability to survive to reproduction age.

Keith "Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics???" Curtis

o/` crackpo-o-ot... o/`

This seriously sounds like someone who can't get a date.

But the key phrase to identify him as off the beaten evolutionary track was:You don't lose a characteristic just because you don't use it. You gain a characteristic as a result of it having been beneficial to your ability to survive to reproduction age.

Keith "Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics???" Curtis

One might prefer to identify him as being on the beaten evolutionary track...

Sorry, Jack Aubrey moment. Couldn't resist.

But the key phrase to identify him as off the beaten evolutionary track was:You don't lose a characteristic just because you don't use it.

I think you can. Random mutations develop, and if there's no evolutionary preassure to weed them out (I.e., the organism dies before breeding) then the mutations tend to hang around.

Darwin himself speculated that there would be modifications (word used before DNA and genes were discovered) that would be neutral in the evolutionary sense. And it's recently been confirmed by Japanese researches (and others by now).

I think you can. Random mutations develop, and if there's no evolutionary preassure to weed them out (I.e., the organism dies before breeding) then the mutations tend to hang around.

Darwin himself speculated that there would be modifications (word used before DNA and genes were discovered) that would be neutral in the evolutionary sense. And it's recently been confirmed by Japanese researches (and others by now).

Well, that's probably so, but I would think that there would be just as great a chance of developing protruding chins, without any pressure towards a survival characteristic.

Keith "or purple chins, or hairy chins, or bifurcated chins..." Curtis

Ummm, well, there's evolutionary pressures and evolutionary pressures... "Date the chinless wonder over there? How desparate do you think I am?"

Well, creating strong jaws requires a significant metabolic investment, and processed food is supposedly much less healthy - so I could imagine some selective pressure to reduce chin size when less energy might be available...

Still, it seems pretty darn unlikely. Imagine what the world would be like, though - nothing but Frank Burns, everywhere you look!

I have to admit on reading this, my reaction was:

"Well Chris, what is it that it is - this theory of mine. Well, this is what it is - my theory that I have, that is to say, which is mine, is mine" etc.

On the other hand anyone who predicts "Women, on the other hand, will develop lighter, smooth, hairless skin, large clear eyes, pert breasts, glossy hair, and even features" can't be all bad :D

cheers, Mark

I have to admit on reading this, my reaction was:

"Well Chris, what is it that it is - this theory of mine. Well, this is what it is - my theory that I have, that is to say, which is mine, is mine" etc.

On the other hand anyone who predicts "Women, on the other hand, will develop lighter, smooth, hairless skin, large clear eyes, pert breasts, glossy hair, and even features" can't be all bad :D

He's an anime artist?

cheers, Mark

They already have. Cavewomen were coyote-ugly.

Keith "Cavemen were no prize either" Curtis

I should have realized that someone would have mentioned that incoherent remake of a SF classic at some point.I just didn't expect it to be Surbrook' date=' of all people!!![/quote']

"Incoherent remake of a SF classic" ?

You really overrate it. :mad::ugly:

I've seen worse- Independence Day and Event Horizon come to mind...

Given a choice between watching that movie or Reptilicus again,I'd think I'd rather rewatch Reptilicus......

Having seen Reptilicus... can I watch Them!?

Having seen Reptilicus... can I watch Them!?

Reptilicus bears the dubious distinction of being the only Danish gigantic-radioactive-goo-spitting-plesiosaurus move ever to be released iN English.

You'd be better off with the Doctor Who episode Terror of the Zygons. The effects are much better.

Reptilicus bears the dubious distinction of being the only Danish gigantic-radioactive-goo-spitting-plesiosaurus move ever to be released iN English.

You'd be better off with the Doctor Who episode Terror of the Zygons. The effects are much better.

1. The "reptile" in question is a sock puppet. Saying the special effects are better is like saying Ann Coulter is strident.

2. Reptilicus has more gratuitous boobies than Dr Who ever did.

3. Gratuitous boobies are not sufficient reward to watch Reptilicus! Despite which, they haul it out every couple of years for some film festival or others to show to drunks.

cheers, Mark

1. The "reptile" in question is a sock puppet. Saying the special effects are better is like saying Ann Coulter is strident.

3. Gratuitous boobies are not sufficient reward to watch Reptilicus! Despite which, they haul it out every couple of years for some film festival or others to show to drunks.

Not enough beer in the world to watch that thing again.

And a great guy too! A friend of mine, actually. We used to hang out back in our radioactive stuff spitting days.

We prefer the term "differently suited," not "sock puppet." Thank you.

Yes, it's good work if you can get it. ;)