Thrilling Places!

Darren Watts

Re: Thrilling Places!

Well' date=' we love Pulp too, and Pulp Hero itself sold pretty darn well. But so far, to be honest, the supplements have been a bit of a disappointment sales-wise (which is a double shame, because Rob did a fabulous job on both.) So be sure to go out and spread the word on how cool these books are, because we'd really love to do more of them! dw[/quote']

I own both and have posted comments on both! Excellent stuff, and some of the Thrilling Places material can be used in just about any genre!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own both and have posted comments on both! Excellent stuff' date=' and some of the Thrilling Places material can be used in just about any genre![/quote']

I have to disagree a little ;)

With the exclusion of the character write-ups, all of the material in TP can be used for all the genres except Fantasy Hero. The only reason for this is most Fantasy Hero worlds don't have 1800's to modern architecture. But Fantasy Hero can make use of several of the locations with very very little modification.

Great product.

And yes, my love of prepared adventures and scenarios does influence my opinion :D

I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of pulps over the years, and have always wanted to run a pulp campaign. However, I haven't had much interest from the players in any of my groups. And sadly, it looks like there's not all that much interest in pulp on this board if the attention this category gets is any indication.

I usually see 100 to 150 people viewing the Champions thread, maybe 25 viewing Fantasy Hero, a few less viewing Star Hero. In comparison this Pulp group is almost usually around 5-7 people, about on a par with Dark Champions. That doesn't seem to bode well for this genre in terms of support and interest.

And yet I see a number of other groups publishing pulp stuff, several different ones in fact. So it would seem that there is a genuine interest out there for pulp gaming material.

Wish I could get my players interested in such a campaign. I haven't given up...

I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of pulps over the years' date=' and have always wanted to run a pulp campaign. However, I haven't had much interest from the players in any of my groups. And sadly, it looks like there's not all that much interest in pulp on this board if the attention this category gets is any indication.[/quote']

I was pleasently surprised, I didn't think my group would be interested in pulp, but we started playing Adventure! (because the majority of the group likes the White Wolf system) and they have had a lot of fun the last two games and are excited about continueing the game (this includes me nearly killing a character last game).

My favorites are K'hull Island and Pranamoltar. Will have to finish the rest of book later.

Does it really matter if 5-7 people makes post to the pulp threads as compared to the 100's in Champions? That's not a good indicator to show if something is good or not.

The Pulp Hero line is one of the few thats actually well done as compared the prerebooted Champs Universe.

Does it really matter if 5-7 people makes post to the pulp threads as compared to the 100's in Champions? That's not a good indicator to show if something is good or not.
But sales are that element which drives the market and the business decisions of DOJ (as it must really). I love pulp, I loved Rob's content in Thrilling Places from the first time I read it, there is a lot of great stuff there.

But in the end it is about "butts in seats", or in our case "books paid for by consumers". Those who buck the market will get swallowed by it. I know about this as someone who tried to put together a magazine. It was better laid out than what was out there, generally regarded as a high quality product, exactly what the area needed to improve its profile. But in the end the folks in my neck of the woods did not give any support. Without advertising, the magazine died even while it was hailed by the very same folks that weren't taking out ads.

And I actually have grown more fond of the CU as I have read more of it. My initial response was to create my own universe, as I do for practically every game I play, but as I have been exposed to more CU material I have really found it quite good. As good if not better than my own homegrown stuff, especially with tweaks and stuff added. The next time I play a Champions game I will be using the setting universe as my backdrop and encouraging my players to read the established setting material.

Sales are important. That's why I went and bought the Thrilling Places PDF and why the next time I have spare money I'll grab the book and Masterminds and Madmen. Those of us who like Pulp have to vote with our dollars.

I get all of the books in hardcopy because there's just no substitute for being able to hold it and turn the pages. I have started to also buy the PDF’s. I run my games out of a binder that has all of the planned encounters and NPC’s in it. I was keypunching each NPC/Creature into a Word doc (started to use HD recently) and then printing it out. Now I print the page from the book. I can write on it as the session goes and make a new print next game. I’ve also been picking up the HD packs as I need them. As far as sales count goes, I have all but 7 (or 8?) books, with multiple copies of some of them (I still don’t know why I have three copies of TUV). My PDF list is smaller but growing along with the HD files. Of course the number of games/supplements I buy from other lines has dwindled to practically zero.

Ditto. Great book.

I ditto your ditto and raise you another :D

I hate you all. Diamond Age has yet to ship it to my FLAGS

"PAIN, lot and lots of pain!" - Alan Tudyk in A Knights Tale

QM

I can tell you Diamond didn't buy any copies of TP- apparently they felt there was no demand. If your store wants it, they'll either need to use another distributor or get it directly from us. If you like, have them contact us directly (darren@herogames.com.) dw

Guest Admiral C

Huh, my FLGS has been trying to get it for a while and this week they recieved and invoice that said it was out of stock. Hopefully I'll get it next week. Looking forward to it.

If those of you who have it would consider posting reviews of it online at sites like RPGNet, ENWorld, Gaming Report, etc., it could only help (and also put you in line to receive more free stuff for review in the future!) This of course applies to all of our products, but Pulp in general could sure use the help. dw

If those of you who have it would consider posting reviews of it online at sites like RPGNet' date=' ENWorld, Gaming Report, etc., it could only help (and also put you in line to receive more free stuff for review in the future!) This of course applies to all of our products, but Pulp in general could sure use the help. dw[/quote']

I was surprised not to find a review already on RPGNet. I rarely go there so it didn't occur to me until just now to write one. So I did.

And I'll get cracking on any other Hero books that aren't up there.

Thanks - I'm still new enough at this that I look forward to seeing anyone review something I wrote. (Of course' date=' if I'm lucky that may never fade - I'd need to defer to someone like Steve or Scott Bennie for confirmation there.)[/quote']

It really doesm't Rob, but then, I'm an egotistical sot. :-)

How come I had to go to RPGNow to get a Cover?

Well?

QM

There's a cover in the online store. You know, I see this a lot.

Here's a hint:

click on the link at the very top of the page that says "Online Store" and scroll down.

I know a lot of people go through the "Our Products" section which is sometimes lagging in the updates. If you do that - don't complain check the ACTUAL STORE (a concept, I know) for the cover. They're ALWAYS there.