Online game:Who wants to buckle some swash?

hooligan x

Re: Online game:Who wants to buckle some swash?

As Chester Quayle Livingston set foot in Port-au-Prince he felt a shiver despite the fetid heat and the pressing bodies around him.

-----

From the Diary of Maria Conzuela Alvaria (name to be changed)

I like 'em both, Zorn! If I had to make a choice, I'd say Chester has more mystery and possibility about him... Nice write-ups!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Actually I'm probably trending a tad more towards Maria as I haven't played any physical action characters in a bit, but I"m pretty wide open still, which also means I'm willing to change up if someone has a similar schtick they want to play. I like yours and Chad's characters, too, Felix reminds me a bit of a luck-based character, Dice, we had briefly in a Champions game, that can work really well. Dice's luck was built rather differently with an MP of capabilities from which we randomly rolled and applied the mechanics to the situation as to GM interpretation, it was a little odd but seemed to work really well. Of course, he also had some general Luck and some levels to simulate as well.

Character Idea 3

Johnny Whitaker was lost. Really lost - the fog was so thick he couldn't see a thing in front of him, even his own hand when held more than a foot away. Then he realized he couldn't remember how he got onto this back alley, as it apparently was. Then he realized he didn't know what city he was in.

"Aw, devils, this sucks like the Old Crone's daft wind! Another dream! Not again! And that girl - oh, she shan't be happy about this..."

His reverie was broken as a blinding light lit up the fog. "Sh!te!" he exclaimed aloud. And then the fog dissipated from accompanying heat, a heat which made Johnny immediately sweat buckets. And before Johnny stood a strange character, no doubt some sort of pagan god or demon, hard to say - Johnny never really bothered to classify these strange things he seemed to constantly run into (and away from).

"Uhhhhh, so what's up?" Johnny asked. Mostly if violence threatens he wakes up from these dreams, but he learned to be at least moderately respectful...inasmuch as Johnny ever displays respect.

The being was apparently the source of the light itself, and as such it was hard to see as Johnny had to squint to make out the figure at all. It was very large, probably almost eight feet, and hulking with great muscles. It seemed to have some sort of scales or armor, it was hard to tell. It made a strange sort of labored-breathing sound as it spoke, "I HAF NOT COME FOR YE."

As often happens, it ignored Johnny and strode past him. Johnny turned his head, then his whole body, to follow. "Yeah, yeah, if I don't find out in this dream there'll be another bloody one, so best to just put up with it now."

The beast-thing swaggered down the alley and picked up a large bin, tossing it aside as if it were nothing, to expose a young child cowering underneath. Johnny gritted his teeth and despite all he'd seen began to scream and tear up as the beast began to dine on the poor child, fangs becoming exposed as it opened its great mouth and ripped into the young one. Johnny leapt onto the beast, but as usual to no avail. The beast turned with massive claws and sliced through Johnny. It hurt, as usual...

And, as usual, the screaming woke up the young woman next to him in their illicit den of love. She shoved him sharply and then tried to cover his mouth - it always took him a little time to really come to his senses and despite seeing the room the terror that filled him continued to fuel his screams.

Which were most unwise, as it brought the woman's husband and a few guards. Johnny, naked, wrapped the sheets around him, and said, "HOLD! I am entitled to at least defend myself, am I not!? So that you can run me through right and proper, eh?"

The husband, a nobleman, sneered but granted him leave to dress himself and prepare to defend himself.

And Johnny then pulled the woman in front of him, like the cad he was so often accused of being, and said, "Hey, now, I know this looks bad, but, look, see, I have this power and all, and now I have to go find a mystic and a fighter and it's just like some bloody awful play like you see in those little towns outside London, and so while it looks like I'm trying to save my skin, truly, I'm trying to save some young 'uns out there as there's some great beast about, I know you don't believe me, oh bloody hell I wouldn't either, but anyway if I really fought you'd all kill me as I'm hardly a man of great fighting, and...."

And then he dove backwards out the window, where he knew the bushes would break his fall (always study the woman's chamber he's with, was his motto), with his cowardly maneuver and winding words having shielded him for the nonce. He ran at break-neck speed, hollering, "Lassie, I love ya, but I never promised you a rose garden!"

(PS - and of course, he goes off to do the more important honorable thing and try to save the lives of the child and other children based on his vision)

Surely they could have gone an easier route. Blast it "father"! Broderick thought as he guided the cart through the rain.

He had spent most of his last months wages on new garments for the meeting with the idiot noble in Freestaff. He hoped that the downpour he was driving through wouldn't spoil them. The cart, his luggage, and the tarp were not in the best of shape. He looked back at the steel bound chests he was transporting. Some "exotic" weapons made by the old smith his father employed. They looked nice and everything, but they were better "collector's pieces" than functioning weapons.

From behind he heard a galloping horse. Turning to look he saw a group of riders; then with a groan, he made out their coat of arms. It was that french idiot, St. Pierre!

As the riders closed in he pulled his cloak tighter but it would do no good. The VonFenrir coat was on the cart...the horses slowed to a trott, surrounding him.

"Good evening, messiuer VonWolfe." Leon St Pierre said with a lilting, self important voice. "I trust you are enjoying the fall showers?"

The men he had with him laughed, almost as if coached, at their employer's sophmoric attempt at humor.

"Greetings, Leon." Broderick shot the frenchman a look, "How's your sister?"

Leon's eyes narrowed and his lip curled into a snarl. He quickly jerked his horse around and he and his men rode away.

Well, we are smoking along now! I like both Felix and Roderick with very minor tweeks. Zornwil has three great concepts to choose from(although I must confess I am rooting for Chester).

I have two co-workers (Hero virgins) working on characters. I am looking for a maximum of 8 players. We will start playing whenever we are ready, but I'd like to do it sooner than later.

To clarify the Everyman Pool: This is what you spend on what would be an everyman skill. Bill has figured it out with his Everysailor skills. Any boy raised to be a sailor would have these skills.

Everysailor Skills:

0 1) AK: The Caribbean Sea 11-

0 2) FAM: Acting 8-

0 5) FAM: Contortionist 8-

0 3) FAM: Deduction 8-

0 4) FAM: Paramedics 8-

0 7) PS: Carpenter 11-

0 6) PS: Sailor 11-

0 8) TF: Large wind-powered boats

0 9) Language: English (native)

Add em all up (2+1+1+1+1+2+2+1+4) and you get the 15 point E-Man Pool.

If you are still stuck for character ideas, here's a few seeds:

1. A former officer of the King's navy, gone native

2. A missionary from Rome facing true evil for the first time

3. A West African hunter escaped from slavers

4. A son or daughter of a sugar plantation owner who has fallen in with ill company

5. A mambo or houngan who knows what darkness lies under those black waves

6. A gentleman investigator in the discrete employ of the crown.

7. A half-orc rogue with a taste for iron rations and detecting traps.

Well, not so much number seven.

Well, we are smoking along now! I like both Felix and Roderick with very minor tweeks. Zornwil has three great concepts to choose from(although I must confess I am rooting for Chester).

I have two co-workers (Hero virgins) working on characters. I am looking for a maximum of 8 players. We will start playing whenever we are ready, but I'd like to do it sooner than later.

To clarify the Everyman Pool: This is what you spend on what would be an everyman skill. Bill has figured it out with his Everysailor skills. Any boy raised to be a sailor would have these skills.

Everysailor Skills:

0 1) AK: The Caribbean Sea 11-

0 2) FAM: Acting 8-

0 5) FAM: Contortionist 8-

0 3) FAM: Deduction 8-

0 4) FAM: Paramedics 8-

0 7) PS: Carpenter 11-

0 6) PS: Sailor 11-

0 8) TF: Large wind-powered boats

0 9) Language: English (native)

Add em all up (2+1+1+1+1+2+2+1+4) and you get the 15 point E-Man Pool.

ah. I'll tweak, and give him his Every Circus Performer skills....

oh and another question. On languages do we pay for literacy? It made sense but I should get your call on it.

I don't have tons of time, but I think I could commit to one to two posts a week, minimum.

Here's my idea, based on Richard Henry Dana, author of Two Years Before the Mast. Richard Dana (working name) is a young student from an upper middle class family in the British colonies. He's on sabbatical from his studies from Harvard law school for health reasons. ("Health reasons" == he flunked his last semester at Harvard and needs to get his sh-t together.)

Instead of going to the west coast as the real Richard Dana did, this character has stayed in the Atlantic, working merchant marine ships from the Colonies, Europe, Africa, So. America and the Caribbean. He's very young and still quite naive, but the year he's spent working on ships has opened his eyes greatly and he's become a decent sailor. He's got a smattering of skills, none very high, and some contacts in far off British Colonies. The latter help him sometimes dealing with officials and ship captains, who respect him more than the average sailor. He also has some basic fencing and boxing skills.

I think when the Black Rose finds him, he's working at a warehouse for shipping in the Caribbean and looking for a new employer. (This actually happened in the book, where Richard Dana laid over in San Diego for a few months.)

Character write-up to follow shortly.

Broderick Take TwoBroderick "Rick" VonFenrirVal Char Cost Roll Notes25 STR 20 14- Lift 800.0kg; 5d6 [5]12 DEX 6 11- OCV: 4/DCV: 420 CON 20 13-15 BODY 10 12-10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11-10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 318 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d614 COM 2 12-9/11 PD 5 Total: 9/11 PD (0/2 rPD)4/6 ED 0 Total: 4/6 ED (0/2 rED)3 SPD 8 Phases: 4, 8, 129 REC 040 END 040 STUN 2 Total Characteristic Cost: 81Movement: Running: 6"/12" Leaping: 5"/10" Swimming: 2"/4"Cost Powers END10 Unafraid: (Total: 30 Active Cost, 10 Real Cost) +15 Mental Defense (17 points total) (15 Active Points); Only To Resist Fear (-2) (Real Cost: 5) plus Power Defense (15 points) (15 Active Points); Only To Resist Fear (-2) (Real Cost: 5)9 Skilled Brawler : (Total: 12 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) HA +2d6 (10 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 7) plus +1 OCV with HA (Real Cost: 2) 1Skills10 +2 with HTH Combat4 Animal Handler (Canines, Elephants, Equines) 13-3 Gambling (Blackjack, Chess, Poker) 11-1 High Society 8-3 Hoist 11-3 Linguist2 1) Language: French (fluent conversation; literate) (3 Active Points)4 2) Language: German (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)3 3) Language: Latin (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points)3 Riding 11-3 Scholar1 1) KS: Heraldry (2 Active Points) 11-1 2) KS: Norse Mythology (2 Active Points) 11-1 3) KS: Strongman Tricks (2 Active Points) 11-1 Seduction 8-2 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical) 11-1 Trading 8-4 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Flintlocks, Wheellocks Everyman for himself Skills0 1) AK: British Countryside 11-0 2) Climbing 8-0 3) Contortionist 8-0 4) Language: English (Native) 0 5) Oratory 8-0 6) PS: Stable Boy 11-0 7) PS: Strongman 11-0 8) Sleight Of Hand 8-0 9) TF: Carts & Carriages, EquinesTotal Powers & Skill Cost: 69Total Cost: 15075+ Disadvantages5 Distinctive Features: Tattoo of family crest on his right shoulder (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)0 Normal Characteristic Maxima10 Psychological Limitation: "Worships" the Norse Pantheon (Common, Moderate) Notes: More of a spiritualist than a religious man. He tends to make oaths and swears to the norse gods. It's fun and upsets some of the more "uptight" christians.10 Psychological Limitation: Eye for the ladies (Common, Moderate)15 Psychological Limitation: Loves To Fight (Common, Strong)20 Psychological Limitation: Personal code of honor (fair play in combat and trade; treat all women with respect) (Common, Total)5 Reputation: comes from a "common" merchant family, 8-10 Rivalry: Professional and Romantic (Leon St. Pierre (another adventurer), Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of RivalryTotal Disadvantage Points: 150Cost Weight Equipment END$24 1.20kg Broadsword: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), STR Minimum 12 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)[Notes: Body 5, Def 5, Length M] $9 0.80kg Dagger: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6-1 (1d6+1 w/STR), Range Based On STR (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (17 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (-1), STR Minimum 6 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)[Notes: Body 3, Def 5, Length S]Clothing$8 0.30kg 1) Boots, Soft Leather: Armor (1 PD/1 ED) (3 Active Points); Independent (-2), Mass (Normal; -1), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4)[Notes: protects 17-18; also known as soft, high boots]$4 0.40kg 2) Gloves, Soft Leather: Armor (1 PD/1 ED) (3 Active Points); Independent (-2), Mass (Normal; -1), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4)[Notes: protects 6] $3 0.20kg 3) Belt[Notes: Body 1, Def 2]$14 1.00kg 4) Cloak, heavy[Notes: Body 1, Def 1]$10 3.00kg 5) Long Jacket $5 0.30kg 6) Pouch, Belt Large[Notes: Body 1, Def 2; carries 1 kg]$5 5.00kg 7) Traveller's clothes (breeches, shirt, vest) $4 0.10kg 8) Wide Brimmed Hat[Notes: Body 1, Def 1]

Total Cost: $86 Total Gear Weight: 12.30 kg Total Gear Carried: 12.30 kgEncumbrance (Total Weight Carried)STR 250-10% - 80 No Encumbrance penalty11-24% - 192 -1 DCV/DEX Rolls25-49% - 392 -2 DCV/DEX Rolls, -1" movement, 1 END per Turn50-74% - 592 -3 DCV/DEX Rolls, -2" movement, 2 END per Turn75-89% - 712 -4 DCV/DEX Rolls, -4" movement, 3 END per Turn90-100% - 800 -5 DCV/DEX Rolls, -8" movement, 4 END per TurnGreater than 100%: Character cannot move or take other actionsBackground/History: The VonFenrir (or Wolfe, as they were originally known) family has a rich tradition as warriors, hunters, soldiers, and mercenaries. As the world slowly began to change the VonFenrir tradition also began to include merchants, gamblers, and occasionally, "accidentially" selling their oldest sons into slavery to cover gambling debts. Broderick was sold to a passing circus to cover his father's tab. He spent six years cleaning up after animals. As he grew, his strength became readily apparent and he was taught the tricks of the strogman trade. He had just turned eighteen when his father lucked into a small fortune. His debt was paid and Broderick was returned. Broderick was then trained in the family trades. He had a flair for business, being smart if not super quick witted. He had an engaging personality and was groomed to become his father's "herald" or top sales associate. In his brief tenure as a merchant "noble", he has met and immediately disliked a noble born merchant, the bougrois pig, Leon St. Pierre.Personality/Motivation: To put it succinctly, Broderick hates his family. However, he is something of a romantic pragmatist, and realizes that having a family name and history is important in the modern world. He's actually very good with people and can put on convincing "airs". Broderick sees himself as an honorable man and has a very chivalric styled code of conduct. He also is something of a skirt chaser. Beautiful women are his weakness.Quote: I would not cross the family of wolves, were I you.Powers/Tactics: thouhg he is trained with weapon use, Broderick is a brawler first, second, and probably third. He has unnatural courage (his Unafraid ability) and uncanny fighting skill. His strength is nigh legendary and he's quite tough. Future exp will go towards low level "Brick Tricks".Campaign Use: Appearance: Roderick VonFenrir is a tall, powerfully built, young man. He has his family crest tattooed on his right shoulder. Though he has the family build and power, Broderick lacks the family "face". He has something of a pretty boy look about him. He is seemingly incapable of growing facial hair. He wears his hair long, braiding it in the back. His favorite colors are dark gray, black and lighter grays with silver jewelry or accents. He often wears a rimmed hat.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

PS - if you're not familiar with the show, it's basically low-level occult, sort of like Dark Champions meets Urban Fantasy, emphasis on the latter

Gotcha, thanks. I actually have watched a lot of Buffy (for the first three seasons or so, it was the best thing on television). It's just that I get acronym overload and BtVS wasn't resolving to anything for me.

Richard Dana == Xander. *sigh*

Ok, everything is starting to set like a good Jello mold (the orange kind with shredded carrots and pineapple chunks).

I have decided on a date! The campaign will start in 1690. I couldn't pass up the chance of using Port Royal at its wildest. I doubt many of the character backgrounds need to be tweeked muc to accomidate this date.

I have some major NPCs finished and the first antagonist. I figure we can wait a week more before I need to pick the final characters. So, next Sunday I will post the final crew list.

Ok, everything is starting to set like a good Jello mold (the orange kind with shredded carrots and pineapple chunks).

I have decided on a date! The campaign will start in 1690. I couldn't pass up the chance of using Port Royal at its wildest. I doubt many of the character backgrounds need to be tweeked muc to accomidate this date.

I have some major NPCs finished and the first antagonist. I figure we can wait a week more before I need to pick the final characters. So, next Sunday I will post the final crew list.

Did you get the email I sent Saturday?

Chaz is pretty awesome, Zorn. Every mystery ship needs a smart guy to figure stuff out for us! I like his "classist" personality quirk -- it will make a great (mis)match for my low-born character, Felix. :D

He's also got room to grow and develop, even to become a full-borne sorcerer (if you choose that route, of course!).

One question... Do you mean for the Sigil of St. Theresa to be an expendable focus? That means that every time he uses it, he's got to go out and get a new one. Or maybe he just can't use it again until he's performed some ritual over it or something?

Chaz is pretty awesome' date=' Zorn. Every mystery ship needs a smart guy to figure stuff out for us! I like his "classist" personality quirk -- it will make a great (mis)match for my low-born character, Felix. :D [/size']

He's also got room to grow and develop, even to become a full-borne sorcerer (if you choose that route, of course!).

One question... Do you mean for the Sigil of St. Theresa to be an expendable focus? That means that every time he uses it, he's got to go out and get a new one. Or maybe he just can't use it again until he's performed some ritual over it or something?

Thanks for the catch, the expendable was a mistake, didn't realize I flipped that switch, will take a look. Whoops, okay, I see. Fixed, I took off the mistaken Expendable, and since I liked all the other stuff so much I just decided to chip away 1 point from Resistance and 1 point from Power Defense.

PS - and thanks for the kind comments - I'm looking forward to mixing with the riff-raff! :D

Be sure to drink heavily before checking out my sheet! That's how I pass most GM audits! :D

Didja ever go to a goth Dia de los Muertos party and come home wearing someone else's contact lenses?

It looks like we have Felix, Roudy Broddy Piper, and Chester completed!

Anyone stuck for ideas? I need a naval officer and the ship's cat hasn't been spoken for.

I hope this foil confetti washes away in the shower.

:drink:

Didja ever go to a goth Dia de los Muertos party and come home wearing someone else's contact lenses?

It looks like we have Felix, Roudy Broddy Piper, and Chester completed!

Anyone stuck for ideas? I need a naval officer and the ship's cat hasn't been spoken for.

I hope this foil confetti washes away in the shower.

:drink:

Sounds like a good party! And, thanks, looking forward to starting.