World War 2 Ideas, please

Redmenace

I’ve recently restared a Golden Age WW2 campaign. Unfortunately this happened about the same time I was assigned a major project at work. Long story short, I could really use some plot seeds, story ideas, or interesting real world incidents that might be spun in to an adventure.

Here is what we’ve done so far:

Characters: 250 pt, built 150 + 100 disads, (light on disads so as to make the chr.s seem

a bit simpler than there angsty modern counterparts.)

A beginning Captain America

A beginning Batman

American Eagle, a silver age alien Hawkman cop

The Catwoman, golden age thief turned agent of the US for the duration of the war

Amazon, another expatriate amzon from Themiscera/paradise island

Bazooka Joe, an American demolitions expert assigned to the super heroes

Liberator, a black super hero in the 1940s with all the problems that go along with that

The White Rose, a Christian/German expatriate

The adventures so far:

Pre-war

Ep. 1 Trick or Treat. The Joker and Soloman Grundy go trick or treating as the heroes fight fires and try to capture the bad guys

Ep. 2 Operation goldbrick. A collection of Golden Age villains, including our Cat Woman, try to raid Fort Knox. (taken from an old Adventurer’s club issue.

Ep. 3 Day of Infamy, A Japanese/Atlantean force attacks Pearl harbour, The heroes rally to the defense. In the aftermath, several villains renounce their lives of crime and join the good fight as America enters the War.

Ep. 4 Meet the Enemy. The Army and nascent OSS spend some time training the countries masked marvels in the ways of infiltration and soldiery. The superheroe’s Axis counterparts take the initiative and attack.

Ep. 5. Operation Sun King, The heroes are sent to England to take part in a raid against German Submarine pens on the french Coast.

That is where we left off. I have enough long term plotlines but I’d like to run a few one night adventures to get everyone back in the mood.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance.

Yeah, instead of finding Nazi Submarine Pens, they find a bunch of underwater-capable Nazi piloted Robots. Each with the firepower of a tank division, piloted by a single soldier, and capable of walking accross the English Channel to spearhead the invasion of England! After defeating the robots, the heroes are sent on a deep-infiltration of Germany to discover the mastermind(s) behind these horriffic weapons!

Great campaign idea

I like the point base. Most of our Champions campaigns have been on that same structure.

Some ideas:

You could do a lot of intelligence gathering type missions.

One example: Just after the war begins, Japan capture Rabaul from the Australians. Rabaul is an excellent natural harbor; a foot off the shore the water is a foot deep. 10 feet off, it's several hundred feet deep. Rabaul was the main staging area for the Japanese ships fighting in the Guadalcanal/Solomons campaigns. New Britain is a big Island, but WAY too dangerous for a regular coastwatcher. Perhaps the heros are 'inserted' by a submarine to gather intelligence on the ships and airfields (there were 5 used by the Japanese) around Guadalcanal.

Another example: After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the super hero team is asked to learn how to use a radio transponder by the government. The transponder will have to be in a certain place at a certain time, if the team agrees to go, they're put on board a submarine sailing west. Then their briefed that they're going to help Doolittle raid the Japanese Islands.

You could do a hero-villian fight in a combat setting.

With Enigma, the Allies discover that the new Nazi super, or Nazi super team, will attempt to break the American or British line at point X. (or counter the invasion of Italy, Sicily, southern France, or Normandy) There will be plenty of Armor and infantry behind them to exploit the break in the Allied lines. Using the intel, the Allies reinforce the line, but the superhero team is sent to point X to counter the Nazi team. Now, once the battle starts, combat will be pretty dangerous with bullet flying artillery barrages, tanks from both sides making appearences, etc.

An extraction: How about a certain Danish scientist who's done experiments with heavy water? The Allies need him for the Manhattan project, but Denmark has been conquered by the Germans. The hero's job is to go in and get the scientist out... (Neils Bohr was actually rescued by British intelligence, scurried out the back door as the SS broke down his front door. He stopped while escaping to get a sample of heavy water he had hidden in his refrigerator in a beer bottle. When he arrived at Oak Ridge and opened the bottle, all he had was beer. He grabbed the wrong one...)

Another extraction: A downed bomber or fighter pilot has vital information about Operation Whatever. The heros have to go into enemy territory and rescue the pilot.

The Heros need to infiltrate occupied France/Italy/Norway/ and contact a certain member of the underground who has important information to the allied cause. They find a small group of resistance, with the stereotypical tough guy, smart leader and beautiful female fighter who seems to like one of the heros. But at every turn, they encounter the SS, (later backed up by a some Nazi supers) barely escaping each time. One of the contacts must be a collaborator, but which one?

Just some thoughts...

Regards,

Big Rich

Re: World War 2 Ideas, please

Originally posted by Redmenace

Ep. 5. Operation Sun King, The heroes are sent to England to take part in a raid against German Submarine pens on the french Coast.

That is where we left off. I have enough long term plotlines but I’d like to run a few one night adventures to get everyone back in the mood.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance. [/b]

So, you'd be in early '42 by now, wouldn't you?

The US is gearing up for full-scale war. There are U-boats off the Atlantic coast. Most of the Philippines falls very quickly, although some US and Filipino forces hang on until May, about the same time that the Japanese offensive is halted at the battle of the Coral Sea.

In some ways it's the calm before the storm: the US is building up its forces, while fighting comparatively small campaigns with what it already has. Of course, those fighting these "comparatively small campaigns" are in dire straits.

At home, various war measures are being introduced. Japanese-Americans are being interned. Presumably, pro-Nazi elements are reorienting from propaganda to sabotage.

Ah, there we go!

Pro-Nazi saboteurs are planning an attack on with pre-positioned superweapons or supervillains. The plot is betrayed by one of their circle who was happy enough to legally advocate that the US should stay out of the war, but is unwilling to take up arms against the US government.

Scene one: the defector is trying to escape his former allies. One or more PCs should rescue him.

Scene two: the PCs are warned of the sabotage attack. They have to quickly make a plan to stop it. This may entail finding out more information, coupled with a need to actually get there in time.

Scene three: Arrive. Crash. Smash. Bash.

Scene four: your country is grateful, etc.

Very simple, very basic. One or two sessions.

That's my best guess. You suggested that you wanted a plug-in scenario, so simplicity seemed best.

I hope there is something useful there.

Alan

Definitely need a German occult adventure. Perhaps a new batch of German Ubermen turn out to be Human/Demon hybrids. The heroes must uncover the secret German supernatural research division and confront the insane doctor at its head.

Allied planes are suffering a 300% increase in in-flight failure. The problems began almost three weeks ago (which research will show just happened to be around the time of the winter solstice). The heroes discover that what the pilots have come to call Gremlins is more accurate than they might have believed. They must track down the individual who summoned these air spirits and find a way to send them back to their nether realm.

Loose lips sink ships but the only people who knew the details of the upcoming Allied invasion of Italy was the President and his top generals. Yet three days ago an English agent intercepted a package destined for the Italian command detailing the entire operation. Is there a traitor at the highest level of the US forces or this the work of one of Italy’s best spies (telepath? mind control? is he a shape changer who’s replaced one of the generals? who knows?)

If you want to do an at-home game, you can always deal with black marketeers stealing rationed goods (tires, gasoline, etc.). Even pro-US supervillains might let greed take hold.

A group of German saboteurs arrive by U-Boat and have to be tracked down.

When you get to Nov. 30, 1942, you can run the Cocoanut Grove fire in Boston. Over half of the 800 patrons of this popular club died, IIRC due to flammable fixtures, no sprinkler system, unmarked and/or locked exits, and general panic.

Get a copy of this book

"Why The Allies Won" by Richard Overy. ISBN: 0-393-31619-X

Its a great overview of the history of the war, gives fantastic insight into what decided each theater and is chock full of ideas for alternative history! If you want to come up with a What If? and be able to defend it you gotta check this book out!

One thing you realize is that the Nazi's, under Hitler's guidence, were pushing for the super weapons. Meanwhile his generals were giving counsel towards more reasonable weapons. One could easily see when and where it went wrong - when Hitler decided that his early gains were because he was imbued with some innate knowledge of military affairs and when he might push for true Ubermench, Uberweapons, Uber Arryans. And if you see the way the Western World and Russia reacted - with more reasonable weapons, a push for higher technology in some cases, you can see how characters in such a campaign would evolve.

Great idea! Wish I had thought of it!

"One thing you realize is that the Nazi's, under Hitler's guidence, were pushing for the super weapons. Meanwhile his generals were giving counsel towards more reasonable weapons. One could easily see when and where it went wrong - when Hitler decided that his early gains were because he was imbued with some innate knowledge of military affairs and when he might push for true Ubermench, Uberweapons, Uber Arryans. And if you see the way the Western World and Russia reacted - with more reasonable weapons, a push for higher technology in some cases, you can see how characters in such a campaign would evolve."

Good points. Hitler actually did have a better idea of how to deal with the Allies than his generals, at least during the first part of the war, when he was dealing with the same prime ministers he'd outmaneuvered in peacetime. Once he had to deal with Churchill, his hunches became much less accurate.

And everything I've read reviewing the equipment of the period indicates that the Germans did go for the highest standards possible- leading to excellent weapons that had high maintenance requirements that could not always be met. The Soviets and Americans, by contrast, had overwhelming numbers, backed by equipment that worked "well enough."

For gaming purposes, I'd cross-reference GODLIKE, GURPS WWII, and the D20 Weird Wars material. The first two games are a lot more accurate than Weird Wars, but they're all good for ideas.

JG

He was lucky

Originally posted by James Gillen

Good points. Hitler actually did have a better idea of how to deal with the Allies than his generals, at least during the first part of the war, when he was dealing with the same prime ministers he'd outmaneuvered in peacetime.

Actually I will disagree with this. He had an edge when it came to negotiation and had several leaders running scared. But when it comes to decisions of any military significance (not just field strategy but also the direction military technology was to progress and what strategic objectives were best for his empire. If you subtract out his hate he's just a third rate dictator who happened to come into control of a designed from the ground up effecient military machine. Under his increasingly more total control that machine degraded. Look at the Soviets. They were defeated before Hitler divided up the army invading into two armies. One was set to take Stalingrad and the other to take the oilfields of the middle east. However dividing up the German Army, while almost effective actually saved the the world from Hitlerism. The battle at Stalingrad was not a sure thing. There was still an opportunity for the Soviets to be rolled over. It's opportunities like that that can make for an interesting roleplaying session. Superheros battling among the ruins of the great city with the backdrop of a greater conflict sounds interesting to me.

As for the myth of numerical superiority or even the miracle of supply - none of that applies either. The Germans had the battle of the Atlantic won until one two month period when the right technology combining air power, radar technology and special weapons wiped out the U-Boat threat. It was preventable. Hitler and his minions didn't look for naval uses of aircraft and thus gave the Allies a dimention in which the U-Boats could be fought. Imagine if the Germans had a flying superhero to keep allied aircraft off their wolfpacks. That hero would have to be fought, no?

The book I mentioned before is an easy read and it is totally eye opening.

I know these will overlap with what others have posted. If I actually repeat anything verbatim - sorry, it means I wasn't paying attention, not that I was plagiarising!

The Nazis were big on certain things. Aside from trying to wipe out anyone they considered undesirable (not just the Jews), which doesn't seem to fit the tome of your campaign, they liked:-

1. The occult. How about Nazis trying to steal an item of power? It might even be somewhere in America. Perhaps a certain archaeologist has found the Spear of Destiny ("this should be in a museum") and Nazi agents try to steal it.

2. Art. Generally they wouldn't bother stealing art from America, but what if a US citizen has a collection in Europe which is under threat. If he's wealthy and influential, he might be able to get help protecting it. What if he's really a Nazi himself and is luring the heroes into the Lion's den?

3. Experimentation. The real stuff they did was scary, but how about a "monster serum", turning stormtroopers into rampaging beasts, too much for ordinary soldiers?

4. Super Weapons. Perhaps the Germans need something which can only be obtained in the US for a weapon and plan to steal it. This could be a rare element, or the results of a scientist's research. Perhaps he is a German himself and has fled his home country.

I have to say I am not a big WWII history buff and this is a bit of a 4 colour view of Naziism, but I hope it helps.

I would definitely back Godlike as a good source.

Then there is always the 'Germans are developing an A-Bomb' threat. Look for the film 'The Heroes of Telemark' with Kirk Douglas and Richard Harris for some detail on this.

You could also reverse this with the Germans trying to get into the Manhatten project.

In 42-43 you also have the War in Africa and convoys trying to make a breakthrough to Malta in the Med.

Consider also Portugal's neutrality and the fact that you have German and British spies here trying to persuade the Portugese to support them.

The Americans also got bombers into China to attack Japanese targets. That's another idea.

Episode 5 could easily be expanded into a series of Bruneval-style raids -- maybe taking out a secret lab connected to the Nazi superhuman program?

In February 1943, a British plane carrying the top-secret H2S centimetric radar is shot down over Rotterdam. The cavity magnetron used in this radar couldn't be destroyed easily, and historically the Germans were able to devise countermeasures based on the captured magnetron. If your team is still in England, how about sending them off to recover the H2S before German scientists can analyse it?

Basau-Ne, an (imaginary) island in the South Seas, would make a perfect air base for island hopping. However the US Marines initial attempts to land were repulsed by the polyp-men who live there. The PCs are sent to take the place.

Complications:

1) A Japanese force is heading for Basau-Ne with the exact same intentions as the PCs.

2) The polyp men are ruled by a 'white queen'. She is liable to become attracted to a male PC.

3) If anything should happen to the White Queen of the Polyp Men, they'll need a new leader and will select the female PC with the highest COMeliness.

The story of the Gorilla God is well known. In 1933 this freak of nature, the Eighth Wonder of the World, was brought to New York but tragically escaped and had to be killed by the air force. It's stuffed body has since been put on show as part of a travelling circus. A voodoo witch doctor, in the pay of the nazis, brings the Gorilla God to life again as a zombie and uses it to attack US military targets. Can even superheroes defeat the might of the Zombie Gorilla God?

Other events of 1942:

1) Stalin's eldest son, Yakov, was captured by the Germans. Rescuing him would be the sort of high risk, special forces operation for which superhumans are ideal.

2) On Feb 9th the Normandie (renamed Lafayette by the Americans) was destroyed by a fire in New York (Pier 88 on the Hudson River). It was the second largest passenger liner in the world, an important troop transport. Rumoured to be German sabotage though no evidence was uncovered. In your world this could easily be the work of superhuman Nazi agents.

Defending America

Another idea I had after I logged off last night was the hero team is assigned to defend an important place, like Oak Ridge or Los Alamos. They're not told what's going on there, just that 'it could win the war!' Meanwhile, the Nazis or the Japanese land a super team of their own to attack the same target/gather intellingence on it. (They know SOMETHING is going on there, they just don't know what...) The FBI tries to stop the bad guys, and several agents are killed, more are wounded, and the bad guys get away. Word reaches the good guy of the bad guys' intention just before they attack...

Some stuff that may help your campaign: Pre-CIA, the US 'intelligence' services had the world divided up. The Ofiice of Naval Intelligence (ONI) was responsible for the Pacific and Asia, Army Intelligence (G-2, IIRC) was responsible for Europe and Africa (which was run at the time by Europe) and the FBI under J. Edgar Hoover was responsable for North America, South America and the Islands of the Western Hemisphere.

Regards,

Big Rich

Re: Re: World War 2 Ideas, please

I wrote:

The plot is betrayed by one of their circle who was happy enough to legally advocate that the US should stay out of the war, but is unwilling to take up arms against the US government.

Thinking about this some more:

This guy is a Nazi sympathiser. He isn't going to get along well with the African-American hero. Here is a chance to play up the latter's disadvantages. So, don't just kill off the Nazi, leave him around long enough to show what a jerk he is.

A more general regional encounter:

In my Champions Universe, Australia had a super-commando group called "X" Special Unit. This is modelled on an actual historical Commando outfit called "Z" Special Unit, which specialised in operating in Japanese held territory. "X" is the group tasked with countering the efforts of Japanese metahumans, ninjas, sorcerors and suchlike. It mainly consists of former pulp adventurers, plus the odd superhuman. Its members generally don't wear costumes, but rather Australian army uniforms. Most are NCOs from various services, with a scattering of officers.

"X" could be encountered by any group operating in the South Pacific, particularly if local knowledge and contacts are involved.

A typical "X" operative would be a 150+ point normal, with standard military weapons. Most would have codenames. For example, one operative in my game was named "Alpha". Coincidentally, "Alpha" was Assault's grandfather, and may have been the source of the mutant genes that Assault inherited. :)

Alan

Re: Re: Re: World War 2 Ideas, please

The responce has been very useful, thanks for coming thru all, I'll answer more as time allows

Posted by TheEmerged on 06-25-2003 05:09 PM:

I wrote:

Let's see -- there's always the "interned Japanese begin developing superpowers" thread... There's always the "giant nazi robot/war machine" cliche..

Alan

One of the home town villains modus operandi is to use various automata, maybe I’ll have him go over to the Axis..

Posted by SuperPheemy on 06-25-2003 05:39 PM:

I wrote:

Yeah, instead of finding Nazi Submarine Pens, they find a bunch of underwater-capable Nazi piloted Robots. Each with the firepower of a tank division, piloted by a single soldier, and capable of walking accross the English Channel to spearhead the invasion of England! After defeating the robots, the heroes are sent on a deep-infiltration of Germany to discover the mastermind(s) behind these horriffic weapons!

Solid Golden age plot, It made me think of an alternate version of your plot in which the Axix and their Atlantean allies try to destroy the Panama Canal. The History Channel had a secret weapons of Japan special that had a real world plan to do this using aircraft carrying subs. Actually that sounds like a Golden age plot to.

Posted by 1Big Rich on 06-25-2003 06:08 PM:

I wrote:

One example: Just after the war begins, Japan capture Rabaul from the Australians. Rabaul is an excellent natural harbor; a foot off the shore the water is a foot deep. 10 feet off, it's several hundred feet deep. Rabaul was the main staging area for the Japanese ships fighting in the Guadalcanal/Solomons campaigns. New Britain is a big Island, but WAY too dangerous for a regular coastwatcher. Perhaps the heros are 'inserted' by a submarine to gather intelligence on the ships and airfields (there were 5 used by the Japanese) around Guadalcanal.

Another example: After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the super hero team is asked to learn how to use a radio transponder by the government. The transponder will have to be in a certain place at a certain time, if the team agrees to go, they're put on board a submarine sailing west. Then their briefed that they're going to help Doolittle raid the Japanese Islands.

You could do a hero-villian fight in a combat setting.

With Enigma, the Allies discover that the new Nazi super, or Nazi super team, will attempt to break the American or British line at point X. (or counter the invasion of Italy, Sicily, southern France, or Normandy) There will be plenty of Armor and infantry behind them to exploit the break in the Allied lines. Using the intel, the Allies reinforce the line, but the superhero team is sent to point X to counter the Nazi team. Now, once the battle starts, combat will be pretty dangerous with bullet flying artillery barrages, tanks from both sides making appearences, etc.

An extraction: How about a certain Danish scientist who's done experiments with heavy water? The Allies need him for the Manhattan project, but Denmark has been conquered by the Germans. The hero's job is to go in and get the scientist out... (Neils Bohr was actually rescued by British intelligence, scurried out the back door as the SS broke down his front door. He stopped while escaping to get a sample of heavy water he had hidden in his refrigerator in a beer bottle. When he arrived at Oak Ridge and opened the bottle, all he had was beer. He grabbed the wrong one...)

Another extraction: A downed bomber or fighter pilot has vital information about Operation Whatever. The heros have to go into enemy territory and rescue the pilot.

The Heros need to infiltrate occupied France/Italy/Norway/ and contact a certain member of the underground who has important information to the allied cause. They find a small group of resistance, with the stereotypical tough guy, smart leader and beautiful female fighter who seems to like one of the heros. But at every turn, they encounter the SS, (later backed up by a some Nazi supers) barely escaping each time. One of the contacts must be a collaborator, but which one?

Just some thoughts...

Regards,

Big Rich

Some great ideas Rich. I particularly liked that many of them would work well with my team, the majority of whom are Super agent types.

Will look into Rabaul, so that’s what Pappy Boyington was talking about on Baa Baa Black Sheep.

One of your suggestions got me thinking about a “Doolittle†reciprocity attack involving superheroes. Maybe with supers none of the pilots would end up captured at the end. Our Hawkman-American Eagle is our only flyer, I’m thinking that it would be an interesting challenge to have him fly up to a plummeting plane and try to wrestle the crew out in time.

From what I’ve read about the mission to take out Adm. Yamamoto, assassination of enemy military leaders was a step that was taken with only the highest consideration and an okfrom the President, possibly more do to the desire not to expose are ability to decrypt the enemie’s encryption.

Considering how stealthy our Batman is it might be a interesting mission to have him sneak into the homes of several high ranking military leaders and plant listening devices, or just deliver a message from the US that they have awoken a sleeping giant, something like the way he steals into mobsters mansions and threatens them in Gotham city. All this could lead to a harrowing escape amd some interesting confrontations with people who share some of his skills like Ninjas etc.

I don’t know when I’ll get around to them but all your suggestions were great with the French resistance and the smuggling a scientist ones being particularly thought provoking.

Posted by assault on 06-25-2003 06:13 PM:

I wrote:

So, you'd be in early '42 by now, wouldn't you?

The US is gearing up for full-scale war. There are U-boats off the Atlantic coast. Most of the Philippines falls very quickly, although some US and Filipino forces hang on until May, about the same time that the Japanese offensive is halted at the battle of the Coral Sea.

In some ways it's the calm before the storm: the US is building up its forces, while fighting comparatively small campaigns with what it already has. Of course, those fighting these "comparatively small campaigns" are in dire straits.

At home, various war measures are being introduced. Japanese-Americans are being interned. Presumably, pro-Nazi elements are reorienting from propaganda to sabotage.

Ah, there we go!

Pro-Nazi saboteurs are planning an attack on with pre-positioned superweapons or supervillains. The plot is betrayed by one of their circle who was happy enough to legally advocate that the US should stay out of the war, but is unwilling to take up arms against the US government.

Scene one: the defector is trying to escape his former allies. One or more PCs should rescue him.

Scene two: the PCs are warned of the sabotage attack. They have to quickly make a plan to stop it. This may entail finding out more information, coupled with a need to actually get there in time.

Scene three: Arrive. Crash. Smash. Bash.

Scene four: your country is grateful, etc.

Very simple, very basic. One or two sessions.

That's my best guess. You suggested that you wanted a plug-in scenario, so simplicity seemed best.

I hope there is something useful there.

Alan

Very useful and much appreciated. Yes the Campaign is now in early 1942 but it is obviously a somewhat altered history with things being worse for the Allies at the onset.

There are so many good ideas i don’t know which to go with first. The fall back from the Phillipines would make for a very engaging scenario and serve to reinforce the desperation of the early days of the war. It kind of goes against the grain to make a plot where the heroes are going to lose but it should do wonders for the drama.

Thanks particulerly for the biginning to end description of the sabateur scenario. I like the American bundist who turns on his fellows, it’s a nice plausible way for the heroes to tumble onto the plot.

Posted by dbcowboy on 06-25-2003 06:28 PM:

I wrote:

Definitely need a German occult adventure. Perhaps a new batch of German Ubermen turn out to be Human/Demon hybrids. The heroes must uncover the secret German supernatural research division and confront the insane doctor at its head.

Allied planes are suffering a 300% increase in in-flight failure. The problems began almost three weeks ago (which research will show just happened to be around the time of the winter solstice). The heroes discover that what the pilots have come to call Gremlins is more accurate than they might have believed. They must track down the individual who summoned these air spirits and find a way to send them back to their nether realm.

Loose lips sink ships but the only people who knew the details of the upcoming Allied invasion of Italy was the President and his top generals. Yet three days ago an English agent intercepted a package destined for the Italian command detailing the entire operation. Is there a traitor at the highest level of the US forces or this the work of one of Italy’s best spies (telepath? mind control? is he a shape changer who’s replaced one of the generals? who knows?)

For a German Occult adventure, I agree it is a must, I’ve been leaning towards a race to recover Thor’s Hammer. David Brin wrote a great short story inhis collection “River of Time†titled Thor vs. Captain America. It has the Aesir summoned by the third Reich’s holocaust and serving them. The depiction of Thor and Tyr are particularly good and frightening.

As to the demon hybrid idea, I’m thinking it would be interesting to combine the SS Commandos Otto Skorzeny’s Werewolves and their lycanthropic namesake in to one.

I’ll tuck away the other two suggestions for later.

Posted by BoloOfEarth on 06-25-2003 08:52 PM:

I wrote:

If you want to do an at-home game, you can always deal with black marketeers stealing rationed goods (tires, gasoline, etc.). Even pro-US supervillains might let greed take hold.

A group of German saboteurs arrive by U-Boat and have to be tracked down.

When you get to Nov. 30, 1942, you can run the Cocoanut Grove fire in Boston. Over half of the 800 patrons of this popular club died, IIRC due to flammable fixtures, no sprinkler system, unmarked and/or locked exits, and general panic.

The black market idea would work well for our Batman player, let him use the Streetwise and detective skills, Catwoman could use her criminal contacts and Bazooka Joe knows the city. It would make a great adventure set between two “away missions.â€

A fight set in a locked up burning night club, that’s too good to pass up. I don’t know what i’ll do to put them in possition yet but that ones going in.

Posted by CorpCommander on 06-25-2003 09:02 PM:

I wrote:

Get a copy of this book

"Why The Allies Won" by Richard Overy. ISBN: 0-393-31619-X

Sounds great, I’ll check on Amazon. Let me return the favor by reccomending “Dirty Little Secrets of World War Two†by James Dunnigan. Lots and lots of interesting plots, secret projects and out and out snafus.

Also “Flapper’s, Bootleggers, Typhoid Mary & the Bomb- an anecdotal history of the united states from 1923-1945†by Barrington Boardman, every page is packed with detail of all sorts, military, domestic entertainment, political etc. Useful for many things but particulerly for getting a sense of a real world going on around the heroes.

Posted by Crimson Arrow on 06-26-2003 01:02 AM:

I know these will overlap with what others have posted. If I actually repeat anything verbatim - sorry, it means I wasn't paying attention, not that I was plagiarising!

The Nazis were big on certain things. Aside from trying to wipe out anyone they considered undesirable (not just the Jews), which doesn't seem to fit the tome of your campaign, they liked:-

1. The occult. How about Nazis trying to steal an item of power? It might even be somewhere in America. Perhaps a certain archaeologist has found the Spear of Destiny ("this should be in a museum") and Nazi agents try to steal it.

2. Art. Generally they wouldn't bother stealing art from America, but what if a US citizen has a collection in Europe which is under threat. If he's wealthy and influential, he might be able to get help protecting it. What if he's really a Nazi himself and is luring the heroes into the Lion's den?

3. Experimentation. The real stuff they did was scary, but how about a "monster serum", turning stormtroopers into rampaging beasts, too much for ordinary soldiers?

4. Super Weapons. Perhaps the Germans need something which can only be obtained in the US for a weapon and plan to steal it. This could be a rare element, or the results of a scientist's research. Perhaps he is a German himself and has fled his home country.

I have to say I am not a big WWII history buff and this is a bit of a 4 colour view of Naziism, but I hope it helps.

1. Seein my last post about Werewolves and Thor’s Hammer. I’ve been reading about these very different Japanese “vampires†called Gaki. They have some very distinct qualities that should keep the players on their toes and hopefully avoid lack of suspense from everyone already knowing how to dispatch vamps.

2. I think a combination of #1 and #2 would work. A magical item, or some grail diary maguffin that will lead off the adventure.

3. In our campaign there already several Nazi made supers so I don’t see why this couldn’t work out very well. Maybe a mission to take out the Mengeleesque madman behind the project. Kind of remends me of the 70s horror movie Shockwaves.

4. I like this. It got me think about Klaus Fuchs, Manhattan Project physicist who gave the A-bomb secrets to Stalin. Combine this with the german moles within the russian inteligence services and we might have a desperate three way race for a-bomb secrets. The timeing will have to be alteed a bit, and i’d want to run it later inthe war but it could be very cool.

Your 4 colour sensibility is at least as useful as actual history.

Posted by death tribble on 06-26-2003 05:46 AM:

I would definitely back Godlike as a good source.

Then there is always the 'Germans are developing an A-Bomb' threat. Look for the film 'The Heroes of Telemark' with Kirk Douglas and Richard Harris for some detail on this.

You could also reverse this with the Germans trying to get into the Manhatten project.

In 42-43 you also have the War in Africa and convoys trying to make a breakthrough to Malta in the Med.

Consider also Portugal's neutrality and the fact that you have German and British spies here trying to persuade the Portugese to support them.

The Americans also got bombers into China to attack Japanese targets. That's another idea.

Godlike seems to be much more a simulation of hoe supers might behave in the real world situation, do you think that it would be useful for a “4 colour-Graphic novel campaign?

I’ll look for the film. I’d never heard of it.

i have plans for an African adventure and I’d overlooked Prtugal as a neutral zone.

Posted by Koshka on 06-26-2003 07:50 AM:

Episode 5 could easily be expanded into a series of Bruneval-style raids -- maybe taking out a secret lab connected to the Nazi superhuman program?

In February 1943, a British plane carrying the top-secret H2S centimetric radar is shot down over Rotterdam. The cavity magnetron used in this radar couldn't be destroyed easily, and historically the Germans were able to devise countermeasures based on the captured magnetron. If your team is still in England, how about sending them off to recover the H2S before German scientists can analyse it?

Some interesting ideas, one of my pcs is a Beta test of Captain America’s super soldier serum. It might be interesting to have the Nazis capture him for purposes of isolating the serum in his blood stream and reverse engineering it.

As to your second suggestion, sounds good and telling the players that “we cant let the cavity magnetron fall into german hands. It cause us to lose the war!†sounds right.

Posted by TheEmerged on 06-26-2003 02:50 PM:

I realize you're dealing with the timeperiod after America enters the war -- but consider looking into the Finland situation (were Russia made use of England's distraction to invade territory they wanted -- and at one point, looked like they were going to fail!).

Very interesting idea, I wish we had a Russian hero PC. Russia was on the ropes for awhile with the finns?

Posted by Doug McCrae on 06-26-2003 03:36 PM:

Basau-Ne, an (imaginary) island in the South Seas, would make a perfect air base for island hopping. However the US Marines initial attempts to land were repulsed by the polyp-men who live there. The PCs are sent to take the place.

Complications:

1) A Japanese force is heading for Basau-Ne with the exact same intentions as the PCs.

2) The polyp men are ruled by a 'white queen'. She is liable to become attracted to a male PC.

3) If anything should happen to the White Queen of the Polyp Men, they'll need a new leader and will select the female PC with the highest COMeliness.

The story of the Gorilla God is well known. In 1933 this freak of nature, the Eighth Wonder of the World, was brought to New York but tragically escaped and had to be killed by the air force. It's stuffed body has since been put on show as part of a travelling circus. A voodoo witch doctor, in the pay of the nazis, brings the Gorilla God to life again as a zombie and uses it to attack US military targets. Can even superheroes defeat the might of the Zombie Gorilla God?

Other events of 1942:

1) Stalin's eldest son, Yakov, was captured by the Germans. Rescuing him would be the sort of high risk, special forces operation for which superhumans are ideal.

2) On Feb 9th the Normandie (renamed Lafayette by the Americans) was destroyed by a fire in New York (Pier 88 on the Hudson River). It was the second largest passenger liner in the world, an important troop transport. Rumoured to be German sabotage though no evidence was uncovered. In your world this could easily be the work of superhuman Nazi agents.

"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." – Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC via INWO CCG

Just what would a “Polyp Man†be, a jelly fish anthropomorph?

Fun ideas, thats a whole lot of pre-code comic goodness in one package.

1.) It sounds like a job for supermen. Didn’t Stalin refuse to order a rescue party for fear of possible political embarrasment?

2.) I’ve got a expatriate British pyrokinetic that would make this one sweet.

great quote.

Posted by 1Big Rich on 06-26-2003 06:50 PM:

Defending America

Another idea I had after I logged off last night was the hero team is assigned to defend an important place, like Oak Ridge or Los Alamos. They're not told what's going on there, just that 'it could win the war!' Meanwhile, the Nazis or the Japanese land a super team of their own to attack the same target/gather intellingence on it. (They know SOMETHING is going on there, they just don't know what...) The FBI tries to stop the bad guys, and several agents are killed, more are wounded, and the bad guys get away. Word reaches the good guy of the bad guys' intention just before they attack...

Some stuff that may help your campaign: Pre-CIA, the US 'intelligence' services had the world divided up. The Ofiice of Naval Intelligence (ONI) was responsible for the Pacific and Asia, Army Intelligence (G-2, IIRC) was responsible for Europe and Africa (which was run at the time by Europe) and the FBI under J. Edgar Hoover was responsable for North America, South America and the Islands of the Western Hemisphere.

Regards,

Big Rich

That has some real possibilities, I’m thinking of spooling this with the uneasy alliance with russia by having a threeway race by various nationalist supers to capture Klaus fuchs info transfer to Russia.

I had never heard that the Thetres of Intelligence but it makes sense. This will definetly add flavour to my pre mission briefings. it could also be interesting to have a meeting between J. Edgar “there’s no such thing as a Mafia†Hoover and the Batman.

Posted by assault on 06-27-2003 04:09 AM:

Re: Re: World War 2 Ideas, please

I wrote:

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The plot is betrayed by one of their circle who was happy enough to legally advocate that the US should stay out of the war, but is unwilling to take up arms against the US government.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking about this some more:

This guy is a Nazi sympathiser. He isn't going to get along well with the African-American hero. Here is a chance to play up the latter's disadvantages. So, don't just kill off the Nazi, leave him around long enough to show what a jerk he is.

A more general regional encounter:

In my Champions Universe, Australia had a super-commando group called "X" Special Unit. This is modelled on an actual historical Commando outfit called "Z" Special Unit, which specialised in operating in Japanese held territory. "X" is the group tasked with countering the efforts of Japanese metahumans, ninjas, sorcerors and suchlike. It mainly consists of former pulp adventurers, plus the odd superhuman. Its members generally don't wear costumes, but rather Australian army uniforms. Most are NCOs from various services, with a scattering of officers.

"X" could be encountered by any group operating in the South Pacific, particularly if local knowledge and contacts are involved.

A typical "X" operative would be a 150+ point normal, with standard military weapons. Most would have codenames. For example, one operative in my game was named "Alpha". Coincidentally, "Alpha" was Assault's grandfather, and may have been the source of the mutant genes that Assault inherited.

Alan

Oh yeah, that’s in. The player took a social limitation so it will be coming up periodically. Nice suggestion.

The X special unit sounds interesting. I’ve been trying to avoid the cliche of national heroes being based on American stereotypes like The Kangaroo or Lt. Boomerang. Did the unit have any Aboriginals?

Thanks again for everyone who took the time to send a suggestion.

Originally posted by Redmenace

The X special unit sounds interesting. I’ve been trying to avoid the cliche of national heroes being based on American stereotypes like The Kangaroo or Lt. Boomerang. Did the unit have any Aboriginals?

Since it's entirely fictional, your guess is as good as mine. :)

I don't think 'Z', the vague real-world analogue did.

Alan

Another possibility: diplomatic missions. You mentioned "Japanese/Atlantean" force; perhaps the heroes could be sent to Atlantis or even a real-world nation to show why and how America can win the war, why they're the good guys, etc. - sort of an international "war bond" tour.

They could be opposed by villains undermining their work secretly or openly, forced into trials of strength against super representatives of the Axis, score big diplomatic/PR points by intervening in natural disasters, stopping the last of the (real or fictional) Nazi commerce raiders (supers against the Bismarck! - yes, I know the Bismarck was gone by '42, but you get the idea).

Weapons testing could be a 'Change of pace" for one night - with supers in the world, the army will certainly investigate ways to counter them, perhaps tailored against certain known enemy supers. The heroes - especially those with similar powers - could be tapped to test the weapons, opening the opportunity for accidents or deliberate sabotage ("Who the devil put *live* rounds in the transpectral deatomizer!").

Just a few random thoughts...

Do you remember how after 911 prisoners in Sing-Sing offered to donate blood? Same thing happened after Pearl Harbor. "We may be crooks, but we're American crooks!"

Now imagine the extrapolation into the super world. A super villian contacts the PC's, wants to talk under a flag of truce. If they show up at the meeting and attempt to capture him, he'll say nothing; but if they honor the truce (and being 40's heros they should), he'll tell them that through his underworld contacts he has become aware of an spy/sabatage ring operating in the campagine city. He agrees to lead the PC's to them on two conditions, 1. they allow him to be "in on the kill" and go with them o arrest the spys and 2. the truce continues, and he is allowed to go free after the spys are captured (not a pardon for any past crimes, just a head start before they try to capture him again.)

Three possibilities, and with different villians you can use all three. (1.) Everything is exactly as he said, and with the villian's help the spy ring is smashed. (2.) Supervillian is actually deep cover Axis mole, and leads PC's into a death trap. (3.) Spys are ficticious, Supervillian is neural, PC's into death trap again, but this time Supervillian is offering the heros to the highest bidder, Allied or Axis.