World War 2 Ideas, please

Redmenace

Another book I recently ran across that might help plan homefront adventures is "The Air-Raid Warden Was A Spy" by William Breuer. Not much depth, but lots of good stories. I admit my favorite was the one about the wounded black veteran who got to ride in the front of the bus in Florida because three white soldiers told the bus driver to let him sit up front with them or be tossed off the bus :) .

Originally posted by The Monster

Another possibility: diplomatic missions. You mentioned "Japanese/Atlantean" force; perhaps the heroes could be sent to Atlantis or even a real-world nation to show why and how America can win the war, why they're the good guys, etc. - sort of an international "war bond" tour.

They could be opposed by villains undermining their work secretly or openly, forced into trials of strength against super representatives of the Axis, score big diplomatic/PR points by intervening in natural disasters, stopping the last of the (real or fictional) Nazi commerce raiders (supers against the Bismarck! - yes, I know the Bismarck was gone by '42, but you get the idea).

Weapons testing could be a 'Change of pace" for one night - with supers in the world, the army will certainly investigate ways to counter them, perhaps tailored against certain known enemy supers. The heroes - especially those with similar powers - could be tapped to test the weapons, opening the opportunity for accidents or deliberate sabotage ("Who the devil put *live* rounds in the transpectral deatomizer!").

Just a few random thoughts...

Good ideas. As to the diplomacy trip to Atlantis, there fully in league with Hitler, Mussolini and Tojo but it might be an interesting thing to try on Amazon's home island. Having a scenarion where the usual discrimination was reversed would go over very well with the female players, I'm sure. The war bonds tour is a great change of ace as well.

The stopping a commerce raider is interesting. I'm thinking maybe a Q-ship sort of thing where the supers would be dressed as merchant marines then spring to the attack when a sub surfaced or launched a torp.

I really like the trials of strength followed by saving natives during a natural disaster, classic pulp/Golden age.

Weapons testing, oh yeah, very nice idea. I was thinking of a session, several weeks away where Captain America and the Batman would demonstrate hand to hand and infiltration, maybe during a live fire demo. The sabotage could work really well there.

Originally posted by McCoy

Do you remember how after 911 prisoners in Sing-Sing offered to donate blood? Same thing happened after Pearl Harbor. "We may be crooks, but we're American crooks!"

Now imagine the extrapolation into the super world. A super villian contacts the PC's, wants to talk under a flag of truce. If they show up at the meeting and attempt to capture him, he'll say nothing; but if they honor the truce (and being 40's heros they should), he'll tell them that through his underworld contacts he has become aware of an spy/sabatage ring operating in the campagine city. He agrees to lead the PC's to them on two conditions, 1. they allow him to be "in on the kill" and go with them o arrest the spys and 2. the truce continues, and he is allowed to go free after the spys are captured (not a pardon for any past crimes, just a head start before they try to capture him again.)

Three possibilities, and with different villians you can use all three. (1.) Everything is exactly as he said, and with the villian's help the spy ring is smashed. (2.) Supervillian is actually deep cover Axis mole, and leads PC's into a death trap. (3.) Spys are ficticious, Supervillian is neural, PC's into death trap again, but this time Supervillian is offering the heros to the highest bidder, Allied or Axis.

How pleasantly devious McCoy. In a former post the issue came up that American super villains, specifically the Joker, would side with the US over the Nazis. At the time I agreed in principle but not specifically about the Joker. My experience with the Joker is the Denny Oneil and post period psycopath.

I like the idea, so much so that the next time the pcs are stateside I'll run this. Maybe have the crook break into police headquarters of Gotham in order to turn on the Batsignal or some such, get the story started with an odd element like that. Thanks

Originally posted by Koshka

Another book I recently ran across that might help plan homefront adventures is "The Air-Raid Warden Was A Spy" by William Breuer. Not much depth, but lots of good stories. I admit my favorite was the one about the wounded black veteran who got to ride in the front of the bus in Florida because three white soldiers told the bus driver to let him sit up front with them or be tossed off the bus :) .

Oh man I've got a lot of books to get. Sounds like a great book. Love the anecdote, I wonder if the white soldiers were local or not.

Originally posted by McCoy

Do you remember how after 911 prisoners in Sing-Sing offered to donate blood? Same thing happened after Pearl Harbor. "We may be crooks, but we're American crooks!"

As an aside -- the biggest group of donors for soldiers in the first days after the pearl harbor attack were the local prostitutes.

Also -- the mob kept watch on the docks for the government and helped them find german agents during the war.