"Beware the generosity of Kings" - A warning

TheQuestionMan

Re: "Beware the generosity of Kings" - A warning

Thank you everyone. My perspective as GM meant I was focused to much on some Plot Lines and not enough on the PCs. When I Gm this shared Campaign world I constantly give the PC a Current Events Update.

I guess I want to give them the latest befor eits time.

QM

All this could be solved with proper communications.

A policy document / terms of service or guidelines on what is and is not allowed in the world.

It should also detail what happens to characters that break the guidelines.

Very important in collaborative worlds as well - otherwise you would be relying on all the GMs having telepathy.

Retcon them a makeup reward then, that may help.

"Sorry your characters are illlegal and have to be dispensed with. You weren't to know because a co-GM was not policing the characters properly. Therefore you get to make a new character, but in recompense you can have a special magic item or NPC connection or plot."

Bertrand du Guesclin' date=' who was marshall of France in the late 14th century once received as a reward during a Spanish campaign, a substantial grant of land. The catch? Said land had been under Moorish occupation for the past three hundred years. He was welcome to mount a campaign to assert his property rights, but he'd have to foot the bill himself.[/quote']

This happened to our group, who were sent to the uttermost end of the empire, to expand its boundaries by taking out the nasty people who lived there, building castles and roads, etc. We knew perfectly well we were being "gotten rid of" but frankly, both the characters and the players were happy to go on doing what we knew best (Kill people/things, take their stuff) only now with a Royal warrant!

In the fullness of time my character got married, had kids and eventually retired to his extensive lands, sending his son (my new character) off to gain experience with one of his old adventuring comrades. The kid was the world's *best* equipped beginning adventurers with all the stuff loaned by his Dad.

You might like to take that route - if the players have become overwhelmingly powerful let them move onto kingdom building (which involves a fair amount of non-combat/adventuring time) and start a new group of characters (their kids, or favoured servants or whatever). You can still play the powerful group from time to time, or pass them off to a fellow GM - and start the new group without hurting continuity.

cheers, Mark

I have to agree that if the King is no fool then with as much bad karma that has come down on this kingdom, he wouldn't want them too far away or feeling ill treated. I do agree that he and his advisors would be giving the matter serious thought.

If he was a fool, had something to hide, or had some reason to consider them a threat then all of the above would work.

Depending on how powerful the Nobles Houses (or the Temples/Church) were most Kings would like to have powerful honorable Heroes with a proven track record of saving the kingdom that were not aligned with the Old Nobility or Temples/Church and were properly grateful to the Crown.

After all Nobles House have to come from some where. They proved themselves to some Lord or King and swore Fealty and service in return for lands and titles or they earn it through conquest.

He would reward them with enough titles, honors, and lands (only needing a little work and lot of Gold) that they would be too busy and too poor to be a serious threat to him and then play them off the Old Nobility. He might blame the Old Nobility for not being able to reward them as they deserve. Marriage to his own allies and extended family would only serve to bind the New Nobility to him further.

Of course that wouldn't prevent some of the Old Nobility from trying to bring them in to their faction. Many of the Old Nobility will turn up their noses at them but others will be looking for something and more than willing to hold their nose. Everything from support for a legal battle to a place for some noble born priest. Even compromising situations requiring a fast marriage between a very old (but poor) Noble house and a Newly titled and rich Kings Favorite.

So the King plays the New Nobles off the Old Nobles and he remains the King.

He would also want to make sure his heir takes the throne after him.

You really want to give your Players a run take a look at the War of Roses. It was so bloody to the nobility you had merchants and knights inheriting baronies because no one else remained of the bloodline.

Have the King make them Knight Companions to the heir. Then once they were emotionally invested the King falls sick, has an accident, or even has to go on a pilgrimage or Crusade, and they become Lord Protectors.

Then lets see how long they can keep the prince alive.

No, I am thinking what that would do to the Co-GMs.

Explosive would be an understatement

QM

I was making a play on words based on the assumption that you meant "shudders," but typed "shutters." ;)

Inadvertant replacement of the word intended with a similiarly spelled word is a common form of aphasia - I do it all the time.

Another good point that needs to be looked at. History is full of great soldiers who died powerless. Unless these peasant Heroes are actively trying to turn their temporary fame into political influence, they're no threat at all (ask Joan of Arc how much clout she had when those in power were done with her). If the King and his nobles are driven by irrational jealousy, getting rid of the gang is a snap.

The real question, if there is one, seems to be "what do I do from here".

Another example from history...

Jacques DeMolay.

An excelent example of a too -powerful PC being put down by GM.

Paladin ascends to head of his order, becomes leader of an Elite army of knights, backed with the power of the Church and the funds "recovered" from the Temple of Solomon.

Squished by the King of France, for much the same reason your PC's are under threat... Too much power out of the Kings hands.

Perhaps the King could have a secret "Heart to Heart" with the most sympathetic player.. Explaining the checks and balances of governing the Kingdom, and explaining the problems the PC's represent to the stability of the Noble Houses in a matter of fact way..

Then the King says "But you are Heroes, and e'en if you're not my own, you are dear to my heart.. I fear without fetters tying your comrades to the crown that the Nobles will face increasing unrest, and Chaos can only be the result of that. But who of us mice can bell such lions? Tell your companions of the troubles plagueing my mind.. Mayhaps they will see a solution that mine eyes have o'erlooked."

Put the problem into the PC's hands, and see what they want to do with it. Let them know what directions you think would be cool for the plotline, and they might go that way to see what you have in mind..

All the above ideas are fantastic, too.. I especially like marriage into the line and giving them problematic areas to govern.

-CraterMaker

....Or, have a score of warships sail down the coast and park at one of the most important trade cities, representing a visit by some uberpowerful nation (ala Thieves World)..