Harry Potter HERO

Mutant for Hire

Re: Harry Potter HERO

Have you considered a VPP with multiple skill rolls.

The book mentions how good most wizards are by magical types. Harry is superior at defensive charms, but middling with potions. Hermione is great at most things while Nevell is only good with herbology.

Hermione was so bad a Divination that she quit the class. With Keith's system, maybe this could be represented by Disadvantages such as a Physical or Psychological Limitation.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hermione was so bad a Divination that she quit the class. With Keith's system' date=' maybe this could be represented by Disadvantages such as a Physical or Psychological Limitation.[/quote']

Actually in Hermione's case I don't think it was a lack of skill at the subject as opposed to a lack of interest in the subject. She was always going on about how Divination was a dodgy subject to be teaching at Hogwarts and she disliked the teacher on top of it. It's quite possible that if she had an interest in that subject that she could've done well at it.

It was Harry and Ron who were lousy at Divinations. They faked it most of the time.

Thanks Brett,

And thanks for the link. The source I am using is the truly excellent Harry Potter Lexicon at:

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/

spells are at:

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/magic/spells.html

Not only do they have a list of all spells, but commentary, citations and observations on most of them. There are also essays, research, lists of everything Potter-y and it's all cross indexed.

A lot of it is a little out of date, since it was created pre-OOP, but most of the lists are well-maintained.

Keith "HPL-plugger" Curtis

It was Harry and Ron who were lousy at Divinations. They faked it most of the time.

Acting rolls please. +4 bonus if predicting a gruesome death for yourself. +2 if you only predict some crippling injury.

Brett

Thanks Brett,

And thanks for the link. The source I am using is the truly excellent Harry Potter Lexicon at:

http://www.hp-lexicon.org/

Thank you,

This site is much better. I have only had a minute to look at it and was wondering if it has any information about what spells, potions, etc... are taught in which year of school.

Brett

Acting rolls please. +4 bonus if predicting a gruesome death for yourself. +2 if you only predict some crippling injury.

Brett

:snicker: True, alas that only seems to work on Professor Trewlany, I doubt Firenze would've fallen for that but then he was a much cooler teacher anyway. :)

Thank you,

This site is much better. I have only had a minute to look at it and was wondering if it has any information about what spells, potions, etc... are taught in which year of school.

Brett

I don't think it lists them by year. It's hard to gauge that anyway, since Harry and Co. seem to learn a lot of spells in direct response to events in the books. Ex. Epecto Patronum when the dementors are lurking everywhere, Expelliarmus when there's a "killer" lurking around the halls. Also, they are living in Interesting Times.

Keith "Extra credit" Curtis

Hermione was so bad a Divination that she quit the class. With Keith's system, maybe this could be represented by Disadvantages such as a Physical or Psychological Limitation.

In my system, Hermione would have no roll or a FAM for divination.

Actually in Hermione's case I don't think it was a lack of skill at the subject as opposed to a lack of interest in the subject. She was always going on about how Divination was a dodgy subject to be teaching at Hogwarts and she disliked the teacher on top of it. It's quite possible that if she had an interest in that subject that she could've done well at it.

I think it was said that Hermione was to logical for an unpredictable art such as divination (by Trewlany) so she quit.

Ron was awful.

Harry was good and we see him make several accurate predications.

Trewlany was a terrible teacher.

Thought I'd dig this out of the old forum:

Pool Advantages:

Power can be changed as a zero phase action (+1)

No skill roll required (+1)

Pool Disadvantages:

Limited Class of Powers (variable: -1 to 0)

Disadvantages for powers inside of the Pool:

Concentration 1/2 DCV, must maintain concentration for Constant powers (-1/2)

Gestures, must maintain for Constant powers (-1/2)

Incantation, must maintain for Constant powers (-1/2)

Limited Power: Power only works with eye contact (-1/4)

Required Skill Roll: Background Skill, -1 per 5 active points, subject to contests (-1)

No Conscious Control (-2)

No Conscious Control bought off with OAF (wand or potion) (-1)

The Limited Class of powers is -1 for first year students and drops to 0 as you go to the more powerful wizards like Dumbledore and Voldemort at the top end.

The only thing is, what about spells like lumos (wand-light) or permanent transfiguration spells that don't require any effort past the initial casting?

Not to be rude' date=' but could you explain what you mean? I don't recall any predictions Harry made that weren't lucky geusses.[/quote']

Well the predictions that Harry made up seemed to have a history of coming true, more often then not. So he sort of lucked into it, but it does suggest some natural skill at the subject. He might've been good if he hadn't been turned off the subject by Trewlany's constant predictions of his early demise.

Some ruminations I posted to the Hogwarts game at HeroCentral:

For point costs, I would suggest you treat magic like equipment. That is, anyone has access to them without spending points. The trick is that they all require skill rolls. Thus, someone could have:

Expelliarmus, 11-

Wingardium Levioso, 12-

Mobilicorpus, 8-

It makes your job easier, since if you want, you can keep the mechanics of the spell hidden from the players. As a GM, I want to know all the mechanics so that I can adjudicate them fairly. As a player, I just want to point my wand and say "Accio Chocolate Frogs"

This system could be expanded. You could have Potionmaking:

Veritas Serum, 11-

Polyjuice, 8-

Failure indicates an unexpected result, failure by more than five indicates a catastrophic result. You could also make up penalties for less than optimal conditions (bathroom stall brewing) or substandard components.

A student with an aptitude could also buy a 5 point skill level with a class of magic, like Charms or Transfiguration. All spells in that class would receive the bonus.

The other benefit of this system would be simplicity of purchase. We could receive reasonable amounts of experience (1 point for a familiarity, 3 for a full-blown skill.) If someone wanted to improve a non-curriculum skill (Such as stealth), they would have to give up some improvement in their spell abilities. After all, if you're sneaking around Hogwarts all the time, you're probably not studying. Also, if all spells cost a reasonable amount, a Hogwarts graduate is not a 2,000 point character.

The final benefit of this system is that the GM has great control over what gets learned. You can't learn a spell (skill) without a teacher. If you don't want a student to learn something, don't give them the resources to learn it. OTOH, if someone desperately wants to learn something they haven't been taught, they could spend weeks in the library researching (self-teaching) it. Like Hermione does. A research skill seems to be needed in this case.

For actual point costs, I would make a list of the spells available per year and give a student a set amount of XP per term.

First Year 10 pt.s worth of spell skills (or other skills, if desired)

Second Year 10 points

3rd yr, +10

4th, +10

5th, (OWL Year), +15

6th Year, +15

7th (NEWT year), +20

Thus a student who graduated from Hogwarts and did nothing but study magic would have 80 points worth of skills. (Spells). Not bad. Of course, most of them spend a few points on things like Stealth, KS: Hogwarts secret passages, KS: Quidditch and so on.

and...

Curses

The students at Hogwarts seem to have a number of minor curses (such as the bat bogey hex). These seem like "kid stuff" and might be treated as a class of skills (Like Survival is broken down)

You would pay 3 points for a "Student Curses" skill and then 1 point for each actual curse. Perhaps it could be subdivided enough to include 2 point curse categories, but I don't know if it would be worth that much effort.

and...

Wands

Mr. Ollivander often says that such and such a wand is "good for Transfigurations" or "Excellent for Charms". I would suggest that a wand, besides being a near universal focus, should have a skill level attached: A five point level for one category of spell.

Also, there should be a skill penalty for using someone else's wand.

and...

Difficult Spells

Some spells, such as Expecto Patronum are said to be very difficult. I see three ways to handle this:

1) Require x number of spells as pre-requisites.

2) Require an automatic penalty (-3) which must be bought off.

3) Just limit it by GM fiat. "No, you can't buy that. It's out of character"

and...

Lumos

Since I am trying to use this currently:

Lumos

Sight group images, +4 to Per rolls, Increased size, 4" Line (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (33 Active Points) Wand Spell (-2 1/2). Total cost: 9 points

This spell creates a thin beam of weak light, similar to the light of a small flashlight. It requires no effort to maintain and lasts until the caster says, "Nox."

The term "Wand Spell" is a shorthand for the standard Wizarding limitations:

OAF Wand (-1), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires a Magic Roll (-1/2), Spell (-1/2)

"Spell" is detailed in Fantasy Hero, but basically means a spell cannot be bounced, spread, haymakered and other sorts of things you can do with weapons.

As for difficulty. you could use a -1 for ten active points, which would make "Lumos" be (11-3)= 8- at the base level, but I think just assigning a GM penalty based on perceived difficulty would be better. Not every spell is as difficult as its point cost indicates.

Example:

"Lumos" is simple, -0 to roll

"Expecto Patronum" is hard, -5 to roll

or something like that.

Keith "Headmaster" Curtis

:jawdrop: That's coherent enough to work!

However, really basic spells, (like lumos) seem to almost always work. I would probably allow my players to buy off the magic skill roll (for free) for a set number of spells everytime they moved up a year. I.E. at the beginning of first year, all magic requires a skill roll. Once they graduate from 1st year, they get to start using one or two spells for free, and so on. The "Magic" skill should also let them do some tricks "for free" such as send non-harmful sparks out of thier wands. Harry does this when he first holds his wand and in the Triwizard tournament and the exploration of the Forbidden Forest in first year, students use sparks without any sort of incantation or even effort really. Also, if a young (and especially magical) student gets really mad, they should get a few tricks done without wands, and without set powers. Example, when Harry blows up Aunt Marge in the third book, and also when the (locked) cubboard flies open as he walks past. Harry at that point is slinging magic around in a rage, not even needing the benefit of a wand.

Well the predictions that Harry made up seemed to have a history of coming true' date=' more often then not. So he sort of lucked into it, but it does suggest some natural skill at the subject. He might've been good if he hadn't been turned off the subject by Trewlany's constant predictions of his early demise.[/quote']

You mean like he and Ron dying in various ways? Can you give me at least 2 specific examples of what you mean. I really am curious.

Hello Keith,

I like your ideas on how to do Hogwarts Magic.

This web site has a list of the names of the spells used in the books and what they do. It also has some spells from the movies and games.

http://www.death-curse.com

Look under information in the menu and then spells.

Here is a direct link to the spells:

http://www.death-curse.com/index.php?p=information/spells

Brett

It's a nice, comprehensive list (I actually compiled the entire book one, slightly more accurately, on my own, long before that.) But it has some errors. This is a case of people not using their brains and/or reading the entire description. For instance "Relashio" doesn't scare away Grindilows. It does that, but that is not it's main purpose. Relashio shoots harmful sparks out of the wandtip (something like EB 1 or 2 d6, fire special effect) and instead of losing effectiveness underwater, it scalds the enemy with steam instead of firey sparks. "Aranea Exume!" is a non-book spell (so I don't care about it as much) but it repels spiders not just anything. Thus the rootword "aranea" (spider) at the beginning. The movies tend to make spells more specific. In the same vein, Oculus reparo repairs eyewear not everything. That's the job done by the regular old "reparo" charm in the books.

Sorry about that. I started ranting. Nothing agaisnt anyone here, but I had to let that out.

"Aranea Exume!" is a non-book spell (so I don't care about it as much) but it repels spiders not just anything. Thus the rootword "aranea" (spider) at the beginning.

Actually, the site lists the spell as "Arinea Rximae", which makes even less sense. I suppose it's from a video game, since the HP Lexicon lists most movie spells (and identifies them as such).

Keith "Arinea Rximae?" Curtis

You mean like he and Ron dying in various ways? Can you give me at least 2 specific examples of what you mean. I really am curious.

In the fourth book, when Harry was making up predictions he claimed that he would have a falling out with a friend and later in the book Harry and Ron had a falling out when Harry was entered in the Triwizard tournament. That's the only one I can remember off hand alas. It is suggestive of something though, aside from nifty foreshadowing on JK Rowling's part.

In the fourth book' date=' when Harry was making up predictions he claimed that he would have a falling out with a friend and later in the book Harry and Ron had a falling out when Harry was entered in the Triwizard tournament. That's the only one I can remember off hand alas. It is suggestive of something though, aside from nifty foreshadowing on JK Rowling's part.[/quote']

Ah, okay. I'll concede that point. IMEHO, that was more likely foreshadowing for that particular book. Also, even Trelawlny makes certain predictions which turn out to be true, like the rabbit dying. While we're on the subject of predections, did anyone else who read the fifth book think that that prophecy means neither Harry, nor Voldemort can die by anyone else's hand? This would be quite liberating for Harry, I would think, since he now knows he can survive anything thrown at him. However, a broader interperatation could be that only Harry or Voldemort can cause the other to die. That would mean that as long as Voldemort was the reason for Harry being in a situation, he could die. Any thoughts from the others?

Actually, the site lists the spell as "Arinea Rximae", which makes even less sense. I suppose it's from a video game, since the HP Lexicon lists most movie spells (and identifies them as such).

Keith "Arinea Rximae?" Curtis

Well, I wasn't quite sure how to spell it. It is probably "Areanea Eximae" but the "r" and "e" keys are right next to each other, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. That one is a movie spell, from Chamber of Secrets.

As for difficulty. you could use a -1 for ten active points, which would make "Lumos" be (11-3)= 8- at the base level, but I think just assigning a GM penalty based on perceived difficulty would be better. Not every spell is as difficult as its point cost indicates.

Example:

"Lumos" is simple, -0 to roll

"Expecto Patronum" is hard, -5 to roll

or something like that.

Maybe the penalty should be a negative modifier equal to the school year in which that spell is normally taught. Therefore a spell that in normally taught in the OWL year would have a -5 penalty to cast.

Some basic and simple spells like Lumos would probably be learned by most wizarding children before they attend Hogwarts and would have no penalty.

Harry was learning Expecto Patronum in his third year, and many were impressed that one of his age could cast that spell. I do not remember if the book stated what year it is normally taught, but I would think it would be in the 5th year or higher.

While we're on the subject of predections' date=' did anyone else who read the fifth book think that that prophecy means neither Harry, nor Voldemort can die by anyone else's hand? This would be quite liberating for Harry, I would think, since he now knows he can survive anything thrown at him. However, a broader interperatation could be that only Harry or Voldemort can [i']cause[/i] the other to die. That would mean that as long as Voldemort was the reason for Harry being in a situation, he could die. Any thoughts from the others?

I saw an interview with Daniel Radcliffe (the guy who plays Harry) who thinks they are destined to both die in a final dramatic fight.

Predictions aside, what did people here think of my VPP & multiple skill roll suggestion?

Harry was learning Expecto Patronum in his third year, and many were impressed that one of his age could cast that spell. I do not remember if the book stated what year it is normally taught, but I would think it would be in the 5th year or higher.

This is just Me speaking, but due to the level of impressiveness that other wizards veiw Harry's Pratronusing abilities with, I suspect it is a highly advanced charm taught normally only to top Aurors. That's just my shilling though.

This is just Me speaking' date=' but due to the level of impressiveness that other wizards veiw Harry's Pratronusing abilities with, I suspect it is a highly advanced charm taught normally only to top Aurors. That's just my shilling though.[/quote']I'll agree that it's an advanced charm, but I doubt only Aurors know it, let alone their top people only. Lupin knew about it and he had no problem attempting to teach a child the charm.

Harry's good, let's not turn him into a god though.

TB

I'll agree that it's an advanced charm, but I doubt only Aurors know it, let alone their top people only. Lupin knew about it and he had no problem attempting to teach a child the charm.

Harry's good, let's not turn him into a god though.

TB

As I recall from the 5th book, the proctor for Harry's exam wasn't impressed that Harry knew the Patronus spell, but rather that he was so skilled with it at such a young age. So it's definetly something that's rarely taught to people Harry's age at least untill Lupin taught it to him and Harry himself taught it to Cho Chang and Hermione, among others.