Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diamond Spear

HEROcon 2007 (Baltimore)

As we continue to plan HEROcon 2007 we would like to get an estimate of attendance. The event will be held in the Baltimore Maryland area, Veterans Day Weekend, November 9-11, 2007. If you are likely to attend please reply to this post as we need at least a rough estimate to make sure the site we are looking at is large enough to hold the gathering and so that we can use the estimate for our proposal to the site owner. When replying please post if you think you are likely to be able to attend. If you think you will be bringing anyone with you who is not likely to post on these boards please note that in your post as well. If you have any questions feel free to post them as well.

More details about HEROcon 2007

Planning continues on HEROcon 2007 and we are now at the point of selecting an appropriate site for the event. The site we are most interested in is a game store located in Glen Burnie Maryland called Games, Comics, Stuff. (Their website can be found at: http://gamesandstuffonline.com/) This site is the leading candidate because they have an upstairs floor that is entirely given over to gaming space which also has a separate, smaller room, in addition to the main room that can serve as either a “premium” gaming space or as a “vendor’s space”. The store itself carries a wide variety of games and gaming supplies as well as snacks, sodas, etc.

Parking is plentiful with a parking garage half a block from the store that does not charge for parking. There are a number of restaurants nearby and there is a large comic book store half a block from the game store for those who are looking for more than just games.

Re: HEROcon 2007 (Baltimore)

I really need to work on that whole 'mailing list joining thing.' I think Michael is avoiding me. :P I'm in' date=' and I'll be ready to run a campaign (I think).[/quote']

I know the feeling. I've asked twice, but haven't gotten an invite yet. Maybe the anti-spam software of my ISP is eating them. *shrug*

I should be able to attend, but it will probably just be me. It is possible my SO will attend, but no certainty of that.

Will we need to front some money in the near future to pay for a ticket?

If I do in fact get a 4 day weekend and I might be able to make it.

I'll be at Fort Huachuca then for OBC so it might not be feasible for me to fly from BF, Arizona all they way out to Maryland.

I hope I can, I really enjoyed getting to meet you guys at GenCon and would like the chance to do it again.

Otherwise, my Reserve unit is out of Fort Meade so barring a deployment to the sandbox for 2008 I'll definitely be able to make it then (if there is a HeroCon 2008)

TB

There is a slight snag....

The following is from the owner of Games, Comics, and Stuff.

I am open to hosting the event, but be aware - a new Magic set releases

that weekend, and we traditionally host a release tournament on that

weekend. This release tournament provides good revenue for us, in

addition to being an expected tradition.

That said, hosting the con is possible if you're willing to share the

space with other gamers. To reserve the space solely for yourself for

all three days, the charge would have to be significant enough so that

it covers the revenue that would have been generated by the tournaments

we would have had on that weekend.

If you're willing to share, we'll reserve space, free of charge, solely

for your use. I'm not sure this is the best option, however, as noise

pollution may be an issue.

Another option is changing the date. Pretty much any other weekend

should be fine, though I'd still have to do some research to be sure.

If we go forward with this, there are still some other points I need to

address. In order to go forward, though, we need to find solutions to

the concerns above :) Thanks for keeping us in mind.

I like the "free of charge" part, but I also like the "solely for your use" part, and in my mind, "solely for our use" trumps free charge. So I'm wondering about trying another weekend (Veteran's Day?) or just take some normal weekend and "presume" people are going to take a day off to make the weekend work.

Any opinions.

I am interested. Veterans Day works for me. As does the original date (though I have no way to predict what will be hapening a year from now.)

With ten or eleven months until the convention I see no reason why I (and presumably others) would not be able to take a Friday off to make the full three days. I also had the thought that we could schedule the con for Friday through Sunday and, once we have an idea of who will be able to make all three days and who will only be able to make Saturday and Sunday, schedule events for Friday specifically geared towards those able to attend on that day. I really think that GCS will be our best bet. I just got off the phone with the hotel I used to work at and they charge $1000 per four hour block. Way out our price range.

Why not move it back to Labor Day weekend? That seems like it would work for the store location, and it was when the first Herocon was held.

I do plan to attend, but travelling from California is easier when a longer weekend is available for us non-government employee types.

It is possible that emails from yahoo are being killed by anti-spam software. I have added a link to the webpage that lets you sign up on your own.

Thanks, Michael - I've now (finally) signed up. Ross = Diamond Spear? Are tickets required? What vendors are lined up? Can we get us an official HERO Spokesman up there (I'm lookin' at you, Steve).

Thanks' date=' Michael - I've now (finally) signed up. Ross = Diamond Spear? Are tickets required? What vendors are lined up? Can we get us an official HERO Spokesman up there (I'm lookin' at you, Steve).[/quote']

Diamond Spear is not Ross. He’s Louis. I know this because I’m him. :)

Mike is the best person to address specifics with. I am helping him try to secure the location is all. I can tell you that we are not planning on charging any sort of admission at this time. For the rest of the questions…..Mike?

Are tickets required?

Currently no. This is (hopefully) a free event open to all HERO gamers and HERO want-to-be gamers.

There may be a request for donations to cover some expenses (like snacks, decorations, prizes)

What vendors are lined up?

I doubt any vendors will be there. However, the location is right over a game store.

Can we get us an official HERO Spokesman up there (I'm lookin' at you' date=' Steve).[/quote']

Once we are sure of the date and location, I'll put forward an invitation to DOJ.

Mike,

Did you ask about the right weekend in your last post? That is the weekend the other event is going on. I’m a little confused here. Although there’s nothing new about that, is there? :)

Mike,

Did you ask about the right weekend in your last post? That is the weekend the other event is going on. I’m a little confused here. Although there’s nothing new about that, is there? :)

Wait... I screwed up.

Okay, let's get this clear:

COLUMBUS DAY is a no-go due to a Magic release.

So, if we want a built in 3-day weekend, we can consider:

LABOR DAY

or

VETERAN'S DAY

Any opinions on those days?