Martian Manhunter on Smallville

Doctor Agenda

Judging from the eyebeams, flight, and trail of oreo crumbs, J'on J'onzz the Martian Manhunter is appearing on Smallville. One of my favorite characters (I hope he's portrayed no worse than Green Arrow was), I'm thinking of building a tribute character based on him. I want to do a credible job on 350 points, which seems like quite a challenge. MM is physically nearly as powerful as Superman-including flight and 'Martian Vision', plus he's a telepathic shapeshifter who can become invisible and/or intangible. Suggestions are welcome.

Re: Martian Manhunter on Smallville

Some quick thoughts:

Obviously he can't be any more powerful than any other 350 point character. He doesn't have to be any weaker either. That's the first thing to achieve.

Since he will have a grab bag of powers, he will probably want to be built around a multipower. He won't be able to be a "true" brick, but a fair proportion of his points that aren't spent on his multipower should be spent on defence.

He probably won't be able to spend much on Life Support, which is a shame. He will need spend a fair few points on buying up his Ego and buying Mental Defence.

You will need to cut some stuff out. However, multipower slots are cheap, so he will be able to afford to buy some of his stuff back fairly quickly.

Think very hard about what are his core abilities, and go from there...

Right, a multipower with alot of 'm' slots so he can mix and match, or possibly an EC with his fundamental powers (Flight, Defense, Shapeshift, Desolid, Invisibility) and a multipower for his attacks: eyebeams, telepathy, maybe some Strength or Density Increase since I probably won't be able to afford alot of Strength directly. A picture is starting to form. :)

Good writeup. Icky character.:eek:

Truly. Very helpful, very icky. I've got a place to be, but when I have a writeup together I'll post. Mine will probably be a more slavish imitation, but I'll try to resist giving him an addiction to chocolate. Maybe a Roinesh Empyrean (obviousy they're not quite as powerful as Earth's Empyreans).

Good writeup. Icky character.:eek:

Truly. Very helpful' date=' very icky.[/quote']

Thanks. :) He has nods to Lemuel Gulliver, Gulliver Jones (who visited mars) and John Carter, as well as the Martian Manhunter. I also wanted to play up the alien nature of the character, something that tends to be played down with JJ.

Here's a 350 point Martian Manhunter tribute I did a long time ago. I'd do things differently now' date=' but he's a place to start. http://www.killershrike.com/NewCircle/Silence.HTML[/quote']

THAT is, without doubt, one of the coolest characters I have ever seen. His background is both creepy and amazing. My own MM "homage" character in my campaign is an alien whose body is composed of "solid light", which allows him to change form and size.

I feel like I took the easy way out, now ;)

I did a scratch paper writeup, it's a tight squeeze, but with a little more fiddling, The Wraith Ranger (aka Ranger from Roinesh), known as the Brass Phantom in the seventies, may work. He was accidentally transported to Earth while fighting the Gadroon: the wormhole they use for transgalactic travel is a wee bit unstable. Sorry about that.

Character Name: Wraith Ranger

Alternate Identities: Thomas Thompson

Player Name: Doctor Agenda

CHARACTERISTICS CHARACTER IMAGE

Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes

30 STR 10 20 30/50/70 var HTH Damage 6/10d6

20 DEX 10 30 20 13- OCV 7 DCV 7

20 CON 10 20 20 13-

15 BODY 10 10 15/19 12- / 13-

18 INT 10 8 18 13- PER Roll 13-

20 EGO 10 20 20 13- ECV: 7

20 PRE 10 10 20 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

14 COM 10 2 12 11-

5 PD 6 -1 5/20 5/20 PD (15rPD)

5 ED 4 1 5/20 5/20 ED (15rED)

4 SPD 3.0 10 4 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

10 REC 10 0 8

40 END 40 0 36

40 STUN 40 0 40/44

6" Running 6 0 6"

2" Swimming 2 0 2"

6"/3" Leaping 6 0 6"/12"

Total Characteristics Points: 130

EXPERIENCE POINTS

Total earned: 0

Spent: 0

Unspent: 0

Base Points: 200

Disad Points: 150

Total Points: 350

MOVEMENT

Type Total

Run (6) 6" [12" NC]

Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]

H. Leap (6") 6"/12"

V. Leap (3") 3"/6"

Flight 20" [80" NC]

APPEARANCE

Hair Color: Brown

Eye Color: Brown

Height: 6' 0"

Weight: 220 lbs

DEFENSES

Type Amount Notes

Physical Defense 5/20/24 Current BODY:

Res. Phys. Defense 15 (14)

Energy Defense 5/20/24 Current END:

Res. Energy Defense 15 (40)

Mental Defense 0 Current STUN:

Power Defense 0 (40)

COMBAT INFORMATION

OCV: 7 DCV: 7

Combat Skill Levels:

COMBAT MANEUVERS

Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect

Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort

Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.

Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm

Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks

Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs

Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab

Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage

Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5

Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3

Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only

Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon

COMBAT MODIFIERS

Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128

RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS

Cost Power END

22 Elemental Control: Roinesh Empyrean Powers

23 a) Empyrean Toughness: 15rPD, 15rED Armor

23 B) Empyrean Flight: 20” at 4 End, x4 NCM

24 c) Empyrean Sustenance: Life Support—Full, Except Must Eat/Sleep Once per Week

23 d) Roinesh Empyrean Shifting: Shape Shift for Sight, Hearing, & Touch, Any Humanoid Form, Imitation, Costs End Only to Change (+1/4)

50 Empyrean Disciplines: Mass Phasing, Photokinesis, and Telepathy

2u Solidify: Density Increase (1,600 kg mass, +20 STR, +4 PD/ED, -4" KB), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (25 Active Points). 2

2u Increase: Growth (+20 STR, +4 BODY, +4 STUN, -4" KB, 1,437 kg, -2 DCV, +2 PER Rolls to perceive character, 4 m tall, 2 m wide), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (25 Active Points)—Maximum Mass with Solidify is 25 kilotons. 2

2u Decrease: Shrinking (1.5’ tall, 55 pounds, -4 PER Rolls to perceive character, +4 DCV, takes +6" KB), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (25 Active Points). 4

2u Lengthen: Stretching: 3” at 0 End (+1/2) (22 Active Points). 2

5u Wraith Form: Desolidification, Costs End Only to Activate (+1/4) (50 Active Points) –Affected by Dimensional and Light Attacks 2

2u Photokinetic Screening: Invisibility to Sight Group , Costs End Only to Activate (25 Active Points). 3

5u Photokinetic Searing: 10d6 EB at 5 END (50 Active Points).

8m Sense Intellect: Mind Scan 8d6 at 4 End (40 Active Points).

9m Communicate: Telepathy 9d6 at 4 End (45 Active Points).

8 Regenerates: 1d6 Healing, Heal Limbs, 0 End (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Extra Time (1 Hour; -2 ¼), Self Only (-1/2) (30 Active Points).

210 Total Powers Cost

SKILLS

Cost Skill

3 Acting 13-

3 Criminology 13-

4 Language: English (Idiomatic, Roinesh is Native) -

DISADVANTAGES

Points Disadvantage

10 Distinctive Features: Male Roinesh, Concealed by Shape Shift (Easily Concealed, Major Reaction)

15 Hunted 8- by PSI

15 Hunted 8- by Viper

5 Monitored 8- by UNTIL

20 Psychological Limitation: Code of the Hero

15 Psychological Limitation: Devoted to His Team

10 Psychological Limitation: Protective of the Innocent

10 Reputation 11- as an Alien Shape Shifter

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Thomas Thompson, Crime Lab Technician, is actually To’m To’mz, a Roinesh Ranger)

15 Susceptibility: 3d6 Instant from Transforms

20 Vulnerability: x2 Effect from Drains and Transfers

150 Total Disadvantages Cost

BACKGROUND

Height: 6' 0" Hair: Brown

Weight: 220 lbs Eyes: Brown

Appearance: In his natural form, To’mz appears to be a grayish tan humanoid with cranial furrows. He can assume almost any humanoid form. As Thompson, he has brown hair and eyes, a swimmer’s build, and is of indeterminate race. He appears in his natural form as the Wraith Ranger.

Personality: “Thomas Thompson”, a fairly new identity is a quiet and competent technician, but always on the verge of disciplinary action for his frequent absences. Much of his training as a Ranger-a sort of semi-independent planetary agent-and most of the skills he has learned in his more than 30 years on Earth were recently erased or suppressed in a battle with PSI. He remembers events, but has ‘unlearned’ their lessons. Although he longs for home, his Empyrean longevity promises he will someday return.

Quote: “I can follow you anywhere.”

Background: The Empyreans of Roinesh are highly integrated into Roinesh society, as their heightened shape shifting powers ironically make it possible for them to be more open, concealing their origins more than their presence. They are known as the Exalted. The average Roinesh only possesses an adaptation that allows them to alter their skin’s color and texture. Exalted, and to a lesser extent the offspring of Exalted and Roinesh, have more advanced abilities. To’m To’mz was a Roinesh Ranger, a career open only to Exalted and the most skilled Roinesh. When his planet was attacked by the Gadroon, he was part of a Ranger squad assigned to disrupt the Gadroon wormhole. He was in the Gadroon flagship when the terminus shifted across the galaxy, trapping him in Gadroon space. When the Gadroon opened a wormhole to Earth, he took the opportunity to oppose the Gadroon there and was stranded when they retreated. With his telepathy and the aid of heroes he befriended, Tom’z learned Earth ways and took the identity of a fallen police officer with no family. In the 70s and 80s he was a part of The Trust, calling himself the Brass Phantom. He hid his alien nature from his teammates (The Human Sub, Sunny Daze, Big Man, and Jackdaw), something he regretted when The Trust broke up following Jackdaw’s death. Now he assumes his Roinesh form as the Wraith Ranger.

Powers/Tactics: To’mz has powers comparable to the Empyreans of Earth (improved physical abilities, immortality, and the ability to develop powers over time), but has less raw power. Thanks to PSI, he also lacks the skills that normally come with an extended life. His powers make him a near-perfect infiltrator, but at maximum size and density he is also a formidable brick.

Campaign Use: To’mz is a displaced alien with no way of getting home. Some fear he is the vanguard of an invasion, particularly given his shape shifting powers. He has enough trouble with his one civilian identity that he is reluctant to adopt more, but he sometimes uses other heroic identities to sow confusion about his abilities or to aid fellow heroes in concealing their identities (as he frequently did for the Big Man)…he never appears as the Brass Phantom anymore, however. Plot Seed: The Wraith Ranger has had his experiences edited by PSI. Did they also implant a post-hypnotic suggestion to betray his fellow heroes?Plot Seed: The Gadroon wormhole has reopened…can To’mz get past their invasion fleet for his best chance to return home? Will he abandonEarth to fight without him in doing so?Plot Seed: The Wraith Ranger has infiltrated Viper too many times and they have devised an instrument that can identify him no matter what formhe takes. Now to set the trap….