Post Apoc Setting

Super Squirrel

Hero Games, as you know, is going to be releasing Post Apoc Hero around Gen Con of next year. I'm curious how interested people are in having a setting for the genre available to them.

I ask, because I have a campaign setting I've been working on for quite some time now. The setting, at this point in time, is very extensively built. I have three "survival" cities that are unique in their own way. I have mutations including how they happen and how to calculate the effects. I have evil post-apoc monsters that make zombies look like a walk in the park. I have several other pleasant surprises on top of that.

At this point, I have close to 40 pages of notes on this information. It would take me quite a bit of effort to type up all of the notes and get them to a presentable state. But, as I have felt lately, I'd rather know that people are interested in a post-apoc setting before I even begin on that.

Re: Post Apoc Setting

Hero Games, as you know, is going to be releasing Post Apoc Hero around Gen Con of next year. I'm curious how interested people are in having a setting for the genre available to them.

I ask, because I have a campaign setting I've been working on for quite some time now. The setting, at this point in time, is very extensively built. I have three "survival" cities that are unique in their own way. I have mutations including how they happen and how to calculate the effects. I have evil post-apoc monsters that make zombies look like a walk in the park. I have several other pleasant surprises on top of that.

At this point, I have close to 40 pages of notes on this information. It would take me quite a bit of effort to type up all of the notes and get them to a presentable state. But, as I have felt lately, I'd rather know that people are interested in a post-apoc setting before I even begin on that.

I for one would love to see some of your ideas.

Post Apoc is a hard genre to pidgeonhole into a single setting, because there are SOOOOO many possible routes to take. For instance... I'm not very fond of the whole Gamma World/Thundarr the Barbarian style "Mutants everywhere, who look like bipedal animals and shoot frickin laser beams from their heads" pulp Post Apoc, and much prefer the more realistic/semi-hard SF aproaches.

Even with that said, I stand by my original statement... I'd love to see some of your ideas.

Guest Major Tom

Post-apocalypse is one RPG genre that I'd love to do, either as a GM or as a

player, but have never had the opportunity to do. I'd particularly like to see

an idea for a "We're trying to rebuild the world after it's gone to Hell" camp-

aign (something along the lines of the Morrow Project or Apocalypse

RPG settings, or movies like Island City).

That said, I'd definitely be interested in seeing any ideas for any sort of PA

campaign on the boards.

Major Tom :thumbup:

I'm not very fond of the whole Gamma World/Thundarr the Barbarian style "Mutants everywhere, who look like bipedal animals and shoot frickin laser beams from their heads" pulp Post Apoc, and much prefer the more realistic/semi-hard SF aproaches.

But are they ill tempered mutants...:D

I'm a less is more as post-apoc is concerned kind’a guy. Think Mad Max.

I ran a post-apoc game once where the players started off as Green Berets and Romanian partisans in a Nato-Soviet WWIII. About three game sessions into it one of the characters is on watch in the middle of the night. I tell the player that as he's looking up at the stars it looks like many of them are moving, and separating into multiple stars.

The player was no idiot, and realized what's going on was a nuclear exchange. He asks how many shooting stars does he see, and I tell him oh between ten and twenty. From his vantage point in the Carpathians he rightly assumed that whole world had gone to hell.

From there it was all about survival. From fallout, to finding food, to fighting over food. It was very brutal. I remember one player jokingly ask "Won't the radiation make us into superheroes like in the comics?" to which I responded, "If by superheroes you mean Toothless-Hairless Man and Cancer Boy, than yes."

That said I like to see your ideas Super Squirrel. Post Apoc can be great completely strait or over the top.

Put me as someone who is less interested in realistic Post Apoc games and more interested in "Magic Returns" kind of Post Apoc game.

Whether it is a literal Shadowrun Ghost Dance style magical resurgence or a return of the Old Gods, or whatever. I'd like to see an interesting setting that has a mix of genres both modern with fantastic, coupled with the societal upheaval and left over remnants of a better time that comes with Post Apoc.

TB

When I designed this idea, I tried to include as many Post Apoc staples as possible. Magic was not one of them. However, that said, I can easily create a section on other surviving cities beyond the big three and have one of them as rumored to have magic users. The rumor would be up to the GM if it was legit or not.

It is just throwing in a magic system on top of everything else I've added would turn it super campy.

When I designed this idea, I tried to include as many Post Apoc staples as possible. Magic was not one of them. However, that said, I can easily create a section on other surviving cities beyond the big three and have one of them as rumored to have magic users. The rumor would be up to the GM if it was legit or not.

It is just throwing in a magic system on top of everything else I've added would turn it super campy.

Yeah, Patrick had a point with his "less is more" approach to Post Apoc. It only takes one catastopic event to trigger a cascade that fundemantally alters the setting from the baseline. Too many different aspects and it starts to muddy up your setting.

Okay then, I have a good idea what people want so I'll create a sort of action plan.

I'm going to work on this as if it were a book. I'll work on one Chapter a time as I throw it all together. The first Chapter is the history. It will first focus on one event that most people know. Then it breaks down into three parts. The history known through three separate cities in the world.

Now, I know I'm being a bit of a tease as I've told hardly anyone anything about this idea. So I'll be nice and give you all a hint. Two hints actually.

First Hint: Cancer will most definitely be able to figure out the second hint.

Second Hint: R7/2012-K3

Rep to someone that can decipher the second hint.

Okay then, I have a good idea what people want so I'll create a sort of action plan.

I'm going to work on this as if it were a book. I'll work on one Chapter a time as I throw it all together. The first Chapter is the history. It will first focus on one event that most people know. Then it breaks down into three parts. The history known through three separate cities in the world.

Now, I know I'm being a bit of a tease as I've told hardly anyone anything about this idea. So I'll be nice and give you all a hint. Two hints actually.

First Hint: Cancer will most definitely be able to figure out the second hint.

Second Hint: R7/2012-K3

Rep to someone that can decipher the second hint.

Looks like an asteriod designation, but, no I can't decipher it.

Close enough. It is the designation of a comet. So as a reward, I'll share the first part of the history tonight. This is unedited Super Squirrel goodness. It will probably be the only part I'll post without posting as PDF.

R5/2012-K3

The comet R5/2012-K3 was discovered on May 23, 2012 by Professor Michael Renshaw. The comet's discover was significant for its projected path would place the comet as a near miss of Earth in the year 2015. The science community was thrilled. The comet would be so close to Earth that a close and detailed study of the comet would be inexpensive compared to previous studies. The irony of the situation wouldn't be known until early 2015 when the comet's orbit shifted dramatically. A collision was inevitable.

While scientists debated how a shift in orbit could have occurred, world governments discussed how to address the impending catastrophe. It was the American Government that brought a solution to the table. Based on previous comet data, scientists were able to conceive a way for four simultaneous nuclear strikes upon the comet to obliterate the comet to nothing more than safe chunks of debris.

The world watched as the comet approached. On June 3, 2015 at precisely 4:32 PM EST, the world watched as the four nuclear warheads detonated. For three solid minutes, the world cheered together in celebration. But then, it became clear all was not successful. The outer layer of the comet had been successfully destroyed. But what the world had not expected was an inner ring of strange crystal mass. The crystal too had shattered, but underneath the crystal remained a core of pure iron. Four nuclear strikes had saved life on Earth. But what the world was spared from was yet to be known.

Most world communication was lost within hours of the strike. The core of the comet had been sent into a slow, degrading orbit. The shattered pieces of crystal, iron, and ice fell chaotically taking with it most of the satellites orbiting the planet. While the United States had saved the world, the bulk of the debris struck within minutes. Radio reports indicate the country destroyed and in complete disarray. Within days reports came of erratic behaviors of certain survivors. Had the rest of world been listening in, within a week they would hear nothing but silence.

Chunks of the comet's outer layer struck nearly every major city in the world. The damage of the rain ranged from minimal to severe. Some cities, such Paris received little damage. Northern London was hit by a large piece of debris but not of such magnitude the city was rendered inoperable. Bonn, Germany was reportedly struck by the largest remaining chunk of crystal. While survivors did make it out of the city, the bulk of the city was leveled by the impact.

On June 7, 2015 the iron core of R5/2012-K3 began a rapid descent to Earth. It struck the Mediterranean, half way between Sicily and Greece. The impact left a crater so large that the sea could not breach the ridge. Most of the coastlines were hit by a tidal wave of such magnitude that entire cities vanished.

By June 9, 2015, the last of the remains of comet R5/2012-K3 had fallen to Earth. At this time, radio reports from the United States spoke of only the erratic behaviors of certain survivors. Any questions to what those behaviors were were answered by June 14, 2015. The comet had been contaminated with an unknown type of radiation, not from the crystal, but from the outer shell. The radiation's full effect was unknown but it was clear that it caused mental and physical mutations on humans.

By June 23, 2015 the only radio communications were conducted from secret locations or by those at sea where the radiation could not reach. The world was dark, alone, and afraid.

Groovy.

Shoulda guessed comet anyway, but I'm accustomed to seeing comets named. One of the most successful post apoc campaigns I played in and co-GM'ed (using the old Aftermath system) was a post comet strike game, a homage to Hot Fudge Tuesdae from Lucifers Hammmer. The mutenagenic effect being from the comet works for me... I'm usually totally cool with fantastical elements as long as they're wrapped in an adequate layer of rubber science. Having a distinct extra planetary "meta source" for weirdness works, because it gives you a free hand without disrupting suspension of disbelief.

Have you attacked an atlas yet? That was the single most fun part of preparing for our old game, as I recall. :eg:

So I'm guessing your "worse than Zombies" menace are related to the strange comet radiation....:thumbup:

Groovy.

Shoulda guessed comet anyway, but I'm accustomed to seeing comets named. One of the most successful post apoc campaigns I played in and co-GM'ed (using the old Aftermath system) was a post comet strike game, a homage to Hot Fudge Tuesdae from Lucifers Hammmer. The mutenagenic effect being from the comet works for me... I'm usually totally cool with fantastical elements as long as they're wrapped in an adequate layer of rubber science. Having a distinct extra planetary "meta source" for weirdness works, because it gives you a free hand without disrupting suspension of disbelief.

I have it all worked out with rubber science in a pretty plausable way too. I know why the comet shifted orbit. I know what causes the mutations. I know what the crystal is and does also. It will be more fun writing this once I get past the history. :)

Have you attacked an atlas yet? That was the single most fun part of preparing for our old game, as I recall. :eg:
Not yet. I've got the UK and Ireland figured out as well as the United States, Germany, and another place in Europe called Salus (don't bother looking on a map). Most of the design focuses around Salus.

So I'm guessing your "worse than Zombies" menace are related to the strange comet radiation....:thumbup:
Close but the full scope of what "it" is makes this setting fun. I'll be trying to pump out information as quickly as I can.

• 5 weeks later...

So many Post Apocalypse Settings possess elements of Science Fictions and Fantasy its hard to pin it down. Here are a few suggestions.

[Compilation] "to Star HERO Conversions & Adaptations"

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24969&highlight=Gamma+Hero

Gamma Hero, Wasteland Hero, and Fading Suns Hero are some of the best. The Morrow Project, Living Steel, and Traveller's "The Long Dark" Era are worth a look too.

Category:Science fiction role-playing games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Science_fiction_role-playing_games

Category:Post-apocalyptic fiction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Post-apocalyptic_fiction

Cheers

QM