Post Apoc Setting

Super Squirrel

Re: Post Apoc Setting

MetaCyber (by Killer Shrike)

http://www.killershrike.com/metacyber/MetaCyber.shtml

The Savage Earth (by Keith Curtis)

http://www.savageearth.net/

The World of the Eight Sages (by Lethosos or Iron Dragon Studios)

http://irondragon.blogspot.com/2005/05/eight-sages-pre-build-1.html

KAZEI 5 (by Susano)

http://surbrook.devermore.net/worldbooks/kazei5/kazei5.html

Post-Apoclyptic HERO

http://herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8470

Cheers

QM

• 2 months later...

I'm not very fond of the whole Gamma World/Thundarr the Barbarian style "Mutants everywhere' date=' who look like bipedal animals and shoot frickin laser beams from their heads" pulp Post Apoc, and much prefer the more realistic/semi-hard SF aproaches.[/quote']

The ruins of Hudson City have no mutants, I've heard.

:sneaky:

I'll try and work on some more information during April. Maybe I can at least get some of the city information written up.

Sounds good, thanks.

What reminded me of it is I want to write up (and hopefully post) a con/demo adventure or two, so I have something ready to plug PAH when it hits the stands. I had planned on putting together my own setting, but frankly yours sounds more interesting (at least so far). :D

I am relatively new to the HERO system, but rather decided to make a campaign of my own. I too made a post-apocalypse campaign that takes much of its atmosphere from FALLOUT.

I decided to put some magic as well as an opposing force to the high technology that is being pursued after by so many.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys.

Good to see the love of PA gaming is alive and well here too. Being a long time PA fan (original Gamma World, no less), I'm looking forward to Post Apoc Hero.

I recently discovered a whole community of other gamers who love general PA on the http://www.aftermathrpg.com/ site. There's loads of useful links and info there.

I'll post a link on their website to this thread.

PA games are quite scarce at the moment and I think we PA gamers need to get together and show gaming companies that there is a market for good new material.

Thanks for listening

Snake

I've seen that sight before. It isn't that bad.

For those waiting eagerly for more information, I'm trying to once a week update either my Via project or my Post Apoc project. Next up is an update for this post apoc project. I'll hopefully get into the gears of the city itself as well as give a general detail of the Caste system.

Here... have some more of the Post Apoc. :)

The Aftermath

The History of the City of Salus

The Journey East

Servicemen aboard the USS Reagan were in the Atlantic Ocean the days preceding Caeli striking Earth. Their orders from the Pentagon were to remain at sea and await further orders. Seventeen days after Caeli had struck, operation of the United States of America was relocated to the USS Reagan. By this time, the USS Reagan had been joined by USS Clinton, USS George Washington, and over a half dozen destroyers, two battleships, and a lone submarine. Joining the massive military fleet were countless civilian ships.

The United States was gone. For seventeen days, the Pentagon had tried to regain control of it. The devastation of Caeli Radiation was too overwhelming. Those exposed to small doses were fine but the longer one was exposed, the more inhuman they became. If there was a square mile of America left untouched by the radiation, the Pentagon could not determine where. The Pentagon, too, was exposed and when they locked themselves in quarantine, they made one last, awful discovery. Humans who were exposed to Caeli Radiation for too long began to slowly generate the radiation from their very cells.

The chain of command within the United States had broken down. The President and Vice President were missing and presumed dead. All members of the cabinet had been confirmed exposed to the Caeli radiation. Recognizing the inevitable, Admiral Jack Bennington was promoted to Commander and Chief. He was given his final orders to to establish sovereignty anywhere they could find that was safe from the radiation using any force necessary. Unfortunately, it became apparent that there were no such lands free from radiation.

As his first executive duty, Jack ordered every man and woman of science to report to the USS Reagan. With all scientists aboard one ship he held counsel to discuss the fate of the survivors. Through the discussion, it was proposed that the impact site of the core of R5/2012-K3 should be investigated. It was stated that if it were the outer rim that was contaminated, the inner core might be safe. While the crater of the impact might not be habitable, with careful leadership and work, a city might be constructed within the crater.

Early Complications

Constructing a city was filled with complications. Rainfall had filled the crater with fresh water. Mysteriously, the rain water was free of any radiation. As the construction would need to commence from the bottom of the massive crater, the water would first need to be pumped from the barrier walls. Two of the military ships were grounded on opposite ends of the crater. Powered by the reactors of the two destroyers, giant pumps were constructed to force out the water to workable levels. Engineers immediately focused on constructing containment walls in the center of the crater to allow for the construction of an artificial island.

Salus island was initially constructed with a 25 kilometer radius flood walls and a 1 kilometer radius plateau for using the iron core of R5/2012-K3 and the hulls of the two dismantled destroyers. Over time, the plateau has been extended in 1 kilometer arcs from scrap iron and steel. Though to this day, the has not fully reached the flood walls on all sides, nearly 240 degrees of the city has reached them. After the initial plateau and flood walls were finished, the pumps, from the natural crater were moved to the flood walls allowing the fresh water rains to slowly fill the rest of the crater.

An artificial barricade at the center of a crater would not be enough to support the hundreds of thousands of survivors. For such a large population, to support itself, it would require a power source capable of supporting such a vast number in a small space. The survivors had an adequate supply of nuclear fusion available. However, the military fleet's power sources had two significant limitations. To disable a ship for a source of energy would greatly reduce the defensive capability. Also, the nuclear facility of a military ship was not built for longterm support of a massive population. It could provide a temporary fix during construction and help with the electrical burden of the city, but it would ultimately fail to provide all of the resources necessary for a fully operation city.

In the end, both power supplies for the completely dismantled vessels were transferred to the lower levels of the artificial city to provide a primary and auxiliary power supply. The long term plans were placed on hold as more immediate concerns begin to surface. The already slow construction of the city nearly came to a stop. Food supplies were beginning to run desperately low on the military ships and civilian ships were already fighting over fresh water and the limited supply of fresh fish. Workers, who had been volunteers from the beginning, were losing moral.

A New Government

Jack Bennington called for a council of experts. With himself, his appointed head of defense, and a representative for each of the major sciences, he held a discussion to determine the direction of the survivors. On the first day of dialog, there was no progress. Each representative fought over which task took priority. After the sun had set, Jack walked the Deck of the USS Reagan and pondered deeply the situation. Come morning, everything would change.

Jack presented an alternative no other had considered before. The survivors not only needed food, but they needed purpose. Many sat idle on their boots dreaming of better days. Jack found a solution to that and other problems at once. As he saw, immediate survival would require three objectives. The city of would need to be built. The problems of the government of the city would need to be resolved, enforced, and respected. As the city lacked a true industry, the city would need to embark into the outside world for many needed supplies.

Jack proposed that no science was more or less important than the next. Furthermore, without organized and controlled labor, the city would never be finished or would fail to operate after completion. To resolve this, Jack foresaw only a single solution. A democratic state would need to be dissolved. Decisions to run the city could not be left in the hands of people who wished only to see their own survival. Because science was a necessity in survival, each science would be given a council vote. In addition to this, the military which would be key for both law enforcement and defense would need to be able to present a vote. Finally for the people to feel represented, their would also need to be a representative of the labor force.

The proposal was not accepted overnight. The majority of the population would not work and follow such a system for food and survival alone. People would need to have both entertainment and something to inspire after. Finally, the decision was settled on to make the Caste based society. The immediate concern would be survival. The population was informed that their was a new form of government in effect and that citizens would be placed into a castes based on their skills and willingness to help the system succeed.

Those willing to participate, went with members of the military on raids to the coasts for supplies. Seen as the protectors of the city, those who conducted the survival raids were placed in a special caste, the Praetorians. Being a bit of a fan of Ancient Rome, Bennington saw the name as a symbol of honor for the city.

So it came to be that the City of Salus was founded. As the city's buildings began to emerge, people began to see the visions of its leaders. The acceptance of their new lives was slowly accepted but was, inevitably accepted. Within ten years of the city's founding, it was viewed as the only way to live. It was just in time for new complications to emerge.

Good point. I have some already (such as the Padres of the different Houses.). I guess I need to get them into the history. One of the bigger guys is coming up in the next section. I'll try to make sure to mention him a little bit more in depth than I had been originally planning.

Very good read and a nice take on the genre. I agree that the other major players need to be discussed as well as what they have found out through their foraging over the 10 years they have been building. IE other survivors, how the flora/fauna fared in the aftermath etc... I am assuming it had not effect on the ocean life since there is mention of fish. The main idea I have trouble following is that all land masses were affected, especially from a meteor. It seems like there would be hot spots and zones that were not affected at all.... of course there maybe and you have not got to that part yet :thumbup:

So far very good... rep for you sir!

Oh trust me... there are definitely hot spots. :)

There are spots that are cleaner than others. I haven't worked on it much. I've figure that the brunt of the contamination struck the US thus the reason it fell so quickly. Europe/Asia/Africa is contaminated based on population density. The higher density, the faster the spread. Thus Africa is fairly safe where as Western Europe is in for some trouble.

The ocean life is affected though most of the effect is in the Pacific Ocean. Japan, while relatively contamination free is having issues with getting beyond its coast.

I don't have the notes on me at work right now, but I have rules on determining how hot of a zone an area is and rules on how to deal with radiation.

Situations beyond my control are going to put off me getting this updated for some time.

I'll try and throw some teasers up as I can. Hmmm, something stat related...

Crystal Energy Pistol (CEP Shorty-3): Energy Blast 6d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), END Must Pull From a Connected Crystal Charge Pack (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4). Total Cost: 12 points. Value: 600 ER

Crystal Charge Pack: END Reserve (18 END, 10 REC) (12 Active Points) Limited Recovery (See Radiation Exposure Chart on pg. ###; -1), Crystal (-1/2), Only Fits Shorty Style Weapons (-1/4). Total Cost: 4 points. Value: 300 ER

No, I don't have the radiation chart available yet. Sorry. :(

plus Endurance Reserve