Susano's Song-Based DC NPCs

Susano

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crossposted from another thread looking for Superheroes of the Super Seventies.

And thanks for the inspiration, Greywind.

Everybody (was Kung Fu Fighting)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400.0kg; 4d6 [2]

18 DEX 16 13- OCV: 7/DCV: 7

23 CON 13 14-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

13 EGO 3 12- ECV: 2 - 3

20+5 PRE 10 13- / 14- PRE Attack: 4d6/5d6

7 OCV 20

7 DCV 20

2 OMCV -3

3 DMCV 0

6 SPD 40 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

20 PD 9 Total: 20 PD (9 rPD)

20 ED 9 Total: 20 ED (9 rED)

8 REC 4

20 END 0

11 BODY 1

30 STUN 5

Total Characteristic Cost: 154

Movement: Running: 7m/14m

Leaping: 4m/8m

Swimming: 2m/4m

Cost Powers END

3 It was a little bit frightening: +5 PRE (5 Active Points); Conditional Power Only in combat (-¼), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼)

5 Everybody was KUNG FU fighting: Damage Negation (-3 DCs Physical) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Rare attack (Firearms and weapons with the Real Weapon Limitation, except Martial Arts Weapons; -1), Perceivable (Just looking at him, you know ordinary guns and knives won't work so why bother?; -½), Only In Alternate Identity (-¼), Nonpersistent (-¼) 0

Notes: Don't bring a gun to a kung fu fight!

Kung Fu Fighting!

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 A kickin' from the hip -2 +1 10d6 Strike

4 Chopping them up +0 +2 8d6 Strike

3 Chopping them down +0 +1 6d6 +v/10, Target Falls

4 Started swaying with the hand +2 +2 Block, Abort

3 Now we're into a brand new trip +2 -1 7d6 Strike, Target Falls

5 A sudden motion made me skip -- +4 Dodge All Attacks, Abort; FMove

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

Perks

73 Billy Chin and little Sammy Wong: Follower

3 Anonymity

Notes: When they hear that "Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting" for some reason authorities and villains alike accept that answer and stop looking for someone specific.

12 Positive Reputation: Evildoers fear Everybody; the righteous love Everybody and are eager to help. (A large group) 14-, +4/+4d6

21 Contact: "Everybody" (Contact has access to major institutions, Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (21 Active Points) 11-

Notes: If anything important happens in Funky China Town, Everybody knows it. If there are resources that can be of use to Everybody, then Everybody has access to them. Everybody wants to help Everybody. And vice versa for that matter.

Talents

18 Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)

2 Those Kicks Were Fast as Lightning: Lightning Reflexes (+8 DEX to act first with a Small Group of Actions: Kung Fu)

3 In fact it was a little bit frightening: +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

3 They fought with expert timing: Absolute Time Sense

Skills

2 It's an ancient Chinese art: KS: Kung Fu 11-

3 And everybody knew their part: Teamwork 13-

3 Here comes the big boss, let's get it on: Streetwise 13- (14-)

1 Took the bow and made a stand WF: Bows

6 Kung Fu Fighting: +2 with a small group of attacks

3 From a fainting, to a slip: Breakfall 13-

3 Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting: Analyze: Style 12-

10 Expert Timing: Defense Maneuver I-IV

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 206

Total Cost: 360

400+ Matching Complications

325 Base Points

15 Social Complication: Secret ID: Carl Douglas Frequently, Major

0 Distinctive Features: Funky China Man (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Funky China Town)

15 Hunted: Big Boss Very Frequently (As Pow; Limited Geographical Area; Harshly Punish)

5 Rivalry: Professional (Everybody who's Kung Fu Fighting; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

Total Complications Points: 360

Background/History:

There was funky Billie Chin and little Sammy Chong

He said, here comes the big boss, let's get it on

We took the bow and made a stand

Started swaying with the hand

A sudden motion made me skip

Now we're into a brand new trip

Personality/Motivation: Keep on, keep on, keep on, sure enough

Quote: Oh-hoh-hoh-HOah!

Powers/Tactics: Kung Fu Fighting

Campaign Use: The mysterious masked martial artist became known as "Everybody" for responding to villains who demanded "Who ARE you?" by saying "I'm everybody you ever wronged, come to set it right!" His friends Funky Billy Chin and Little Sammy Wong may know his identity, but they would never betray him.

Appearance: A little bit frightening.

Lyrics to the song "Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas. Character concept and character sheet by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

PPS (Post Palindromedary Stuff): To be clear, the line "There was funky China Men from funky China Town" is part of the original lyrics by Carl Douglas, and these phrases are incorporated into the character because the character is a reflection of the entire song. No disrespect is intended to people of Chinese nationality or descent, to their ancient and honorable culture, or to their impressive traditions of unarmed combat. Besides, anyone who knows me will tell you that I never, ever use the word "funky."

A friend used the John Lee Pettimore write up as the basis for a character in Monster Hunters International.

Kept the name and the lyrics. We'll see if the guy who is running the game recognizes it....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary does

He didn't but everyone else we mention the idea to does.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary adds that he knows now

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Any interest in an updated 6th edition version?

Re: Susano's Song-Based DC NPCs

The Boxer

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

14 DEX 12 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

13 CON 6 12-

9 BODY -2 11-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

11 EGO 2 11- ECV: 4

13 PRE 3 12- PRE Attack: 2 1/2d6

10 COM 0 11-

7 PD 1 Total: 7 PD (3 rPD)

7 ED 1 Total: 7 ED (3 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

6 REC 0

24 END -1

25 STUN 1

Total Characteristic Cost: 34

Movement: Running: 5"/10" Leaping: 2"/4" Swimming: 2"/4"

In the clearing stands a boxer

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 Jab +1 +3 3d6 Strike

3 Clinch -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 25 STR for holding on

4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Bob and Weave -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

Perks

9 I do declare, there were times when I was so lonesome I took some comfort there: Contact: The whores on Seventh Avenue (They respect him because he respects them) (Contact has significant Contacts of their own), Organization Contact (x3) (9 Active Points) 11-

Talents

6 A figher by his trade: Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Skills

3 Asking only workman's wages I come looking for a job. Jack of All Trades

2 1) A boxer and a fighter by his trade: PS: Boxing 12-

1 2) In the company of strangers : PS: Hobo 11-

2 3) When I left my home and my family I was no more than a boy : PS: Storyteller 12-

3 When I left my home and my family I was no more than a boy: Oratory 12-

3 In the quiet of the railway station. Traveler

1 1) In the quiet of the railway station: AK: Railways of the Eastern Seaboard 11-

1 2) Well I'm laying out my winter clothes and wishing I was gone, going home: AK: Home County ( a bit outdated...hasn't been back for years) 11-

1 3) Where the New York City winters aren't bleeding me: CK: New York (Everyman (he's been in New York long enough it counts as "home area" )) 13-

3 Laying low: Stealth 12-

3 Seeking out: Concealment 12-

2 The poorer quarters, where the ragged people go: Survival (Urban) 12-

3 Looking for the places only they would know: Streetwise 12-

3 Or cut him 'til he cried out in his anger and his shame: Paramedics 12-

2 A boxer and a fighter by his trade: KS: Boxing 11-

2 Or cut him 'til he cries out in his anger and his shame: +1 with Haymaker

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 66 Total Cost: 100

50+ Disadvantages

5 I am just a poor boy, though my story's seldom told : Poor

15 A pocket full of mumbles, such are promises All lies and jests. Psychological Limitation: I have squandered my resistance. Gullible. (Very Common, Moderate)

10 He hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest. Reputation: , 8- (Extreme)

5 Running Scared. Social Limitation: Dark Secret (Occasionally, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

5 I come looking for a job, but I get no offers. Social Limitation: High School dropout (Occasionally, Major, Not Limiting In Some Cultures)

10 And he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down. Distinctive Features: (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Total Disadvantage Points: 100

Background/History: Designer's Note: While a more straightforward interpretation of the lyrics of "The Boxer" suggest that the first person narrator and the boxer are not the same person, I think Paul Simon intended a certain ambiguity of identity. In any case, combining them makes for a more complete and interesting character, in my opinion.

Personality/Motivation: The Boxer's most notable trait is gullibility. Despite having spent a few years learning about the seamier side of life, he still tends to trust that other people's intentions are good and honorable, and is often inclined to believe what he's told. He's trying to learn to "not be such a sap!" and sometimes life seems intent on beating it out of him, but he still has to make an EGO roll (adjusted by circumstances, and possibly with Streetwise or a similar skill as complementary) to mistrust or disbelieve someone. On the other hand, his undimmed enthusiasm and unstoppable faith make him a compelling, and surprisingly poetic, speaker sometimes. He has some kind of harmful secret in his past - or thinks he does, as certainly no one is ever known to have come after him, but something made him run away from home as a teenager, hitchhiking or riding the rails until he landed in New York. A chance encounter got him into the "fight game" when he impressed a gym owner with the way he disposed of a couple of muggers. He took way too many shots to the face before learning to duck or block.

Quote: Now the years are rolling by me They are rocking evenly And I am older than I once was And younger than I'll be, but that's not unusual. No, it isn't strange After changes upon changes We are more or less the same After changes we are more or less the same

I am leaving, I am leaving (but the fighter still remains, still the same)

Powers/Tactics: Although his build puts him usually in the bantamweight or featherweight category, the boxer is definitely competent at his trade. If he learns a couple more aggressive damaging punches, he could be a contender. If his 3d6 jabs aren't getting the job done, he'll go to blocking and dodging, waiting for an opening or trying to wear out his opponent, or go for a clinch and then follow up with a haymaker. He doesn't follow boxing rules in a brawl, and will grab and throw, haymaker from behind with a club, or do anything else he feels the situation warrants. He's gullible (and people who know this can use it to distract him in a fight - "Look, it's the cops !") but not dumb, nor is he a musclebound hulk incapable of subtlety - he has Stealth and Concealment. Nor is he a berserker - if there is nothing to gain in a fight (he's not protecting someone for example) he's perfectly willing to cut and run, even if - perhaps especially if - he's winning.

Campaign Use: With a fighting weight of 50 pts plus 50 Disadvantage pts, The Boxer is suitable as a player character in some low-powered games using Dark Champions or Pulp Hero, or as a sidekick to a standard powered character - he'd probably be very loyal if he found someone who proved over time that they will NEVER take advantage of him. He fits easily anytime in the 20th century and into the late 19th and early 21st, and with a few changes could be dropped in any major city in the world. With a few tweaks, he could appear in any historical, fantastic, or futuristic setting where boxing or a similar martial art is practiced professionally. As a contact or encounter for the players, remember - He's a boxer, he's gullible, he has contacts on the street - there's no limit to the ways The Boxer can get into trouble, and no reason he wouldn't ask the player characters for help if he needs it. He's also perfectly ready to help if asked, and can be readily added to a party that may need one more good hand to hand combatant, or be a source of information if none of the characters have local knowledge or the Streetwise skill. Or even if they do and their own contacts just aren't connected right now.

Appearance: Prize fighter's face - he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down or cut him til he cried out in his anger and his shame. He's also absolutely bristling with plot hooks, but that should probably be left off the visual description.

[ATTACH]32032[/ATTACH]

"The Boxer" lyrics by Paul Simon of Simon and Garfunkel. Character sheet by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

• 1 month later...

Now that Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is available, how does the anime/manga affect the thread?

I'm also waiting for the write-up of Major Tom (A Space Oddity/Ashes To Ashes/Major Tom).

You may have a long wait until someone feels up to such a Major project.

Lucius Alexander

Here am I sitting on a palindromedary