From the other side

A terror to behold

Annihilation will be unavoidable

Every broken enemy will know

That their opponent had to be invincible

Take a last look around while you're alive

I'm an indestructible master of war

I imagine this nameless character as either

1. The latest incarnation of a soul who has always been a warrior in past lives and is now a perfect soldier due to the impressions left on his spirit by battles long past. Ruthless, implacable and completely dedicated. Depending on circumstances he could be a decorated war hero or a prisoner awaiting judgement for war-crimes. Sort of a less cosmic Eternal Champion.

Or.

2. A burnt out soldier who has retreated into a haze of drugs and madness in an attempt to shut out the pain of his experiences and now falsely believes himself to be as unfeeling and unstoppable as 1. Needless to say he's a dangerous person to be around.

Re: Susano's Song-Based DC NPCs

I would like to submit a personal favorite. Alice Cooper's Poison.

Lyrics:

Your cruel device

Your blood, like ice

One look could kill

My pain, your thrill

I want to love you but I better not touch (Don't touch)

I want to hold you but my senses tell me to stop

I want to kiss you but I want it too much (Too much)

I want to taste you but your lips are venomous poison

You're poison running through my veins

You're poison, I don't want to break these chains

Your mouth, so hot

Your web, I'm caught

Your skin, so wet

Black lace on sweat

I hear you calling and it's needles and pins (And pins)

I want to hurt you just to hear you screaming my name

Don't want to touch you but you're under my skin (Deep in)

I want to kiss you but your lips are venomous poison

You're poison, I don't wanna break these chains

Poison

One look could kill

My pain, your thrill

I want to taste you but your lips are venomous poison

You're poison, I don't wanna break these chains

Poison

I want to taste you but your lips are venomous poison, yeah

I don't want to break these chains

Poison, oh no

Runnin' deep inside my veins,

Burnin' deep inside my veins

It's poison

I don't wanna break these chains

Poison

La Rose

Are you guys going to write these up' date=' are you send me the lyrics to look over?[/quote']

I think I will try and write mine up. But I wanted to put the idea out there for everyone first.

Besides, aren't you the great god of character write ups?

La Rose.

Well' date=' right now, the great god has a lot on his plate.[/quote']

Poison

Player:

Val Char Cost

8 STR -2

11 DEX 3

8 CON -4

8 BODY -4

10 INT 0

14 EGO 8

16 PRE 6

18 COM 4

2 PD 0

2 ED 0

3 SPD 9

4 REC 0

28 END 6

16 STUN 0

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

1 1/2" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 26

Cost Power

19 "I want to taste you but your lips are a venomous poison": Major Transform 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points) (Normal person into Lustful Slave), 64 clips of 4 Charges (Charges represents number of kisses before a single application wears off. Clips is the re-application; +1/4), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (90 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Lip to Lip contact required; -1), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (No carry over between kisses; -1), OIF Fragile (Lip stick; -3/4), Concentration (0 DCV; The Kiss; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) [Notes: Must kiss target and remain kissing until power is completed. If they lose lip contact before desired effect, it must start all over as if the first kiss didn't occur.]

22 Elemental Control, 44-point powers

32 1) "Your Web, I'm Caught": Entangle 2d6, 3 DEF, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4), BOECV (Mental Defense applies; +1) (62 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Target must Look at Poison; -1/4)

23 2) "My Pain, Your thrill": Transfer 3d6 (Body to End) (45 Active Points)

23 3) "I hear you calling and it's needles and pins": Mind Control 15d6 (Human class of minds) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only to cuase intense lust; -1), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)

35 4) "One Look Could Kill": RKA 2d6-1, BOECV (Mental Defense applies; +1), Does BODY (+1) (75 Active Points); Eye Contact Required (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 154

Cost Skill

3 Acting 13-

0 Climbing 8-

0 Concealment 8-

0 Conversation 8-

0 Deduction 8-

0 Language (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

3 PS: seductrice 14-

0 Paramedics 8-

3 Persuasion 12-

7 Seduction 14-

0 Stealth 8-

Skills Cost: 16

Cost Perk

4 Reputation (A medium-sized group) 14-, +2/+2d6

Perks Cost: 4

Total Character Cost: 200

Pts. Disadvantage

15 Psychological Limitation: "Your Blood Like Ice." (Common, Strong) [Notes: Sociopathic]

10 Psychological Limitation: "My Pain, Your Trill." (Uncommon, Strong) [Notes: Sadist]

10 Distinctive Features: "I want to hold you but my senses tell me to stop (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses) [Notes: When she walks into a room people just get a bad feeling. IE People get an automatic Danger Sense Role. when ever she attempts to harm someone, they get a +2 to the role to detect.]

Disadvantage Points: 35

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

La Rose

Here goes.

Name: Master Of War

Player:

Val Char Base Cost

20 STR 10 10

18 DEX 10 24

20 CON 10 20

15 BODY 10 10

13 INT 10 3

20 EGO 10 0

25 PRE 10 0

10 COM 10 0

4 PD 4 0

4 ED 4 0

3 SPD 2.8 2

8 REC 8 0

40 END 40 0

35 STUN 35 0

6" RUN 6 0

2" SWIM 2 0

4" LEAP 4 0

STR Roll: 13- Lift: 400.0kg

DEX Roll: 13- Run: 6"

CON Roll: 13- Swim: 2"

INT Roll: 12- Leap: 4"

EGO Roll: 13- PRE Attack: 5d6

PER Roll: 12-

Pts. Power END

Indestructible

18 1) Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)

10 2) Defense Maneuver I-IV

Determination That Is Incorruptible

20 1) +10 EGO

14 2) Fearless

Annihilation Will Be Unavoidable

24 1) +4 with HTH and Ranged Combat

30 2) No Range Modifier (+1/2) for up to 60 Active Points of Ranged Killing Attacks (30 Active Points) 3

30 3) Armor Piercing (+1/2) for up to 60 Active Points of Ranged Killing Attacks (30 Active Points) 3

From The Other Side, A Terror To Behold

6 1) +15 PRE (15 Active Points); Limited Power Only For Hostile Presence Attacks (-1), Conditional Power Only While Armed And Attacking (-1/2)

Master Of War

8 1) WF: Common Melee Weapons, Small Arms, Flamethrowers, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers, Shoulder-Fired Weapons

3 2) TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Combat Aircraft, Helicopters

3 3) Combat Ready

15 4) Combat Sense 12-

8 5) Combat Shooting

Power Cost: 189

Pts. Skill Roll

3 Analyze: Combat 12- 12-

5 Accurate Sprayfire

5 Concentrated Sprayfire

5 Rapid Autofire

3 Combat Driving 13- 13-

3 Combat Piloting 13- 13-

3 Demolitions 12- 12-

3 Parachuting 13- 13-

3 Stealth 13- 13-

3 Survival 12- 12-

3 Tactics 12- 12-

Skill Cost: 39

Disadvantages

Unlock The Dark Destroyer That's Buried Within

1) Enraged: Presence of the enemy (Common), go 11-, recover 11- 20

My Motivation, An Oath I've Sworn To Protect

1) Psychological Limitation: Patriotic To The Point Of Insanity (Common, Total) 20

I Carry Out My Orders Without A Regret

1) Psychological Limitation: Must Obey Orders (Common, Total) 20

XP

162 Base Points : 75

Disads Total + 60

Experience Spent + 162

Total Cost = 297

I got one!

“Uh oh – as if actually discussing the possibility that we're up against a vampire weren't surreal enough, here comes that crazy poet.”

The group looked up to see it was so. But before anything could be said, the mysteriously smiling poet held up his sketchpad and arrested their attention. It displayed the very man, if man it was, that they sought, standing at an intersection with the names on the street signs clearly visible.

“This should be helpful – in more ways that one,” said the subtly musical voice with its hard to place accent.

Before their eyes the picture moved and changed, as the thing they knew only as Mr. Rice crossed the street...

Mystery Man AKA Haile DuBois

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

11 STR 1 11- Lift 114.9kg; 2d6 [2]

14 DEX 12 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

13 CON 6 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

18 COM 4 13- (Yeah, he's beautiful)

3/6 PD 1 Total: 3/6 PD (0/3 rPD)

3/6 ED 0 Total: 3/6 ED (0/3 rED)

3 SPD 6 Phases: 4, 8, 12

5 REC 0

20 END -3

23 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 49

Movement:

Running: 7"/14"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming:3"/6"

Cost Powers END

1 You wear sandals in the snow: Life Support (Safe in Intense Cold) (2 Active Points); Requires A Mystic Skill Roll (Modify by Temperature Category, not Active Points; -3/4)

2 Building a Mystery: Change Environment: Sanctify 1" radius, -1 to Necromancy and Demonology rolls, Time Delay (+1/4), MegaScale (1" = 10 km; +1/2), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Season (+1) (14 Active Points); Window Of Opportunity (once per Month; window remains open for 1 Week; -1 3/4), Extra Time (20 Minutes, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), No Conscious Control (Exact size, duration often less than max) (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), No Range (-1/2) [1 cc]

“Window of Opportunity is actually not one week out of a month; it's several days and nights scattered across the month, including always the full moon, new moon, and usually times of occult ritual significance such as solstices and equinoxes. Mystery Man isn't always aware of why a given date is significant, but he will sense when it's coming (“I'll be able to do it in another eleven days.....around noon I think....”) and know when it's here (“The hour is come....”) Building a Mystery: Sanctify is mainly meant to trigger weaknesses related to being on “holy ground” but does carry a penalty to certain skills.

8 Holding on, and holding it in: (Total: 91 Active Cost, 8 Real Cost) Suppress BOD 1d6+1 (standard effect: 4 points), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 10 km; +1/2), No Normal Defense (Possessing holy relic, or holy powers; +1), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Day; +1 1/2), Invisible Power Effects, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2) (47 Active Points); Window Of Opportunity (once per Month; window remains open for 1 Week; -1 3/4), Gradual Effect (1 Day; -1 3/4), Limited Power Only vs Undead, Demons, and similarly evil occult creatures (-1 1/2), Extra Time (20 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1 1/4), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4), Requires A Mystic Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests (Necromancy, Demonology, or similar magic skills); -1/4), Physical Manifestation (symbol inscribed on wall or pavement, small shrine, painting, etc.; -1/4), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4) plus Suppress 1d6, all Necromantic or Diabolical powers simultaneously (+2), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 10 km; +1/2), No Normal Defense (Possessing holy relic, or holy powers; +1), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Day; +1 1/2), Invisible Power Effects, Hide effects of Power (Fully Invisible; +2) (44 Active Points); Window Of Opportunity (once per Month; window remains open for 1 Week; -1 3/4), Gradual Effect (1 Day; -1 3/4), Limited Power Only vs Undead, Demons, and similarly evil occult creatures (-1 1/2), Extra Time (20 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1 1/4), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4), Requires A Mystic Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll, RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs. Skill contests (Necromancy, Demonology, or similar magic skills); -1/4), Physical Manifestation (symbol inscribed on wall or pavement, small shrine, painting, etc.; -1/4), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4) End Cost:16

Both more tiring and more directly effective than Sanctify, this power actively suppresses the forces of evil. Fortunately it's totally Invisible and leaves the monsters baffled – if they even realize they are less powerful than before. The Physical Manifestation is usually some work of art – from graffiti on a wall to a “razor wire shrine” set up on a rooftop to a painting. If he has time he'll take extra time to get a bonus to the skill roll.

5 Building a mystery: Invisibility to Sight, Mystic and Hearing Groups (30 Active Points); Limited Power Only Vs. Undead, Demons, and occult or otherworldly beings. (-1 1/2), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2), Only When Not Attacking (-1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Restrainable (-1/2), Limited Power May only make half moves (-1/2), Requires A Mystic Skill Roll And A Stealth Skill Roll (No Active Point penalty to Skill Roll; -1/4) End Cost 6

Has saved his life more than once by allowing him to sneak away quietly....

2 Building a Mystery: Mental Defense (8 points total)

Mystery Man is hard to read

3 A prayer from your Secret God: Force Field (2 PD/2 ED/3 Mental Defense/5 Power Defense) (12 Active Points); Only Works Against Undead, Diabolical or Necromantic powers (-1), Only When Not Attacking (-1/2), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Requires A Mystic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4) END cost 2

Some prayers are answered.....

Perks

5 You live in a church: Base

3 Builing a mystery: Anonymity

10 A prayer from your secret God: Contact (Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Contact has significant Contacts of his own), Spirit Contact (x2) (10 Active Points) 8-

Often a valuable source of information. And sometimes “equipment” as the Secret God may inspire the Mystery Man to craft items of power for specific limited time uses...

Talents

12 And a cross from a faith that died before Jesus came: Turn Undead

Pedantic note: I suspect the song means the Ankh. But the Egyptian religion did not in fact die until a few centuries after Jesus came. (some claim it never died, but that's another issue.)

2 You come out at night, that's when the energy comes: Rapid Healing (5 Active Points); Limited Power Only at night (-1)

10 a prayer from your secret God: Divine Favor

3 And the dark side's light: Magesight, Telescopic: +1, Tracking (11 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2)

Tracking on Magesight helps to spot where malevolent influinces emanate from.

3 A prayer from your secret God: Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED) (6 Active Points); Requires A Mystic Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 5 Active Points; -1), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

Skills

3 Cause you're working, building a mystery: Power: Mystic 12-

3 And your suicide poem: PS: Compose Poetry 12-

3 you're setting up your razor wire shrine: PS: Artist 12-

These PS skills probably won't be complimentary to his “Working” skill. However, they do make it more likely he can sell his Physical Manifestations, or that they'll be accepted as gifts.

3 You're so beautiful, with an edge and a charm: Seduction 13-

3 Give us a tantrum, and a know it all grin: Oratory 13-

3 Just when we need one, when the evening's thin: Conversation 13-

3 And choosing so carefully: Deduction 12-

3 Building a mystery: Concealment 12-

3 Building a mystery: Stealth 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 96

Total Cost: 145

75+ Disadvantages

5 You woke up screaming aloud Physical Limitation, Nightmares: (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

5 Oh you're so beautiful, a beautiful focked up man Reputation: 8- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)

20 you won't give up the search, for the ghosts in the halls Psychological Limitation: (Very Common, Strong)

5 But so careful, when I'm in your arms Dependent NPC (Variable – friends, lovers, innocents caught up in machinations of dark forces): 8- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC – because he only gets involved with people who can take care of themselves)

10 And the vampires roam Hunted by creatures of the night: 8- (As Pow, Non Combat Influence, Limited Geographical Area (Not usually by day, can't enter holy ground, etc.), Harshly Punish)

15 Can you look out the window without your shadow getting in the way Psychological Limitation: Amnesia: doesn't remember clearly past the last couple of years, and is disturbed by that fact. (Uncommon, Total)

5 you strut your Rasta wear Distinctive Features: Looks like a “usual suspect” (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 And a smile that won't wash away Distinctive Features: Haunting smile (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 you feed off our fears, and hold back your tears Dependence: -20 Active Points from Affected Powers (Common: Make at least 1XPRE on a PRE attack to inspire fear or awe., 1 Day)

Total Disadvantage Points: 75

Background/History: No one knows where the Mystery Man came from, how he got title to an abandoned church, or what he's talking about half the time. Even he doesn't know who he really is, and much of what he does know - such as the Name of his "Secret God" - he will never repeat where mortals may hear. Rumors say he came from, or has traveled in, exotic lands like Jamaica, Haiti, Egypt, and Ethiopia.

Personality/Motivation: The Mystery Man is almost literally a man possessed. Haunted by memories, and by darker things deep in his mind beyond the light of (waking) memory, he is driven to combat the lurking evils he sees in his world. Guided by his inscrutable divine patron, he is a stalker of shadows, vampire hunter, exorcisor of haunted houses, bane and occasional target of monsters most people dismiss as the stuff of nightmares.

Quote: "Funny how often our monsters are actually terrified of US...."

Powers/Tactics: What powers the Mystery Man has are mostly weak or unreliable. He will almost always avoid a direct physical confrontation, instead following the promptings of intuition or of his secret God as to where, when, and how to sanctify an area and protect it from these abominations. His audience need never know that an incomprehensible but strangely moving poem recited at a coffeehouse, Egyptian heiroglyphic graffitti in an alley, and an unauthorized "art installation" in a park, are what pinned a vampire in his coffin until it could be found and destroyed. He often presents his art as gifts to people he knows will keep them somewhere in the city - indeed, he has been known to hand his work to complete strangers in the street. This makes it harder to find and destroy all the Physical Manifestations of his power.

Campaign Use: Even if the Mystery Man has tracked something to its lair and managed to, over the course of a month, stack a few successful Suppressions on top of it, he may well look around for help finishing the monster off.

Appearance: Tall, lean, bearded, and dark, the Mystery Man wears his hair in dreadlocks. He often dresses like a "hippy" or "Rasta man" or just a homeless bum, and draws a certain amount of police attention both for that and for his tendency to "hassle the straights" (his powers require him to inspire a certain amount of "fear or awe" on a regular basis to keep working. Normally he does that with things like PRE attacks from stage while reciting poetry in coffee houses, but that's not always possible....)

edit: Might as well include the file

[ATTACH]31647[/ATTACH]

“Building a Mystery” song by Sarah McLachlan. Mystery Man character by

Lucius Alexander

copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it's not Dark Champions....and it's based on a dozen songs, not just one....but I still think it's in the right spirit.

Paladin Benatar

A knight of love

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

13 CON 6 12-

10 BODY 0 11-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

10 COM 0 11-

5/10 PD 2 Total: 5/10 PD (0/5 rPD)

5/10 ED 2 Total: 5/10 ED (0/5 rED)

6 REC 0

26 END 0

25 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 57

Movement:

Running: 5"/10"

Swimming: 3"/6"

Cost Powers END

4 Youre a heartbreaker Dream maker, love taker Don't you mess around with me! : Skill Levels +3 to EGO Rolls (6 Active Points); Limited Power Only to resist Interaction Skills (-1/2)

7 Sanctuary, give me some protection : Armor (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) 1

7 Whatcha' tryin' a do to my head? : Mental Defense (10 points total)

5 What are ya tryin' a do to my head? : Mental Awareness

10 Whatcha' tryin' a do to my soul? : Power Defense (10 points)

3 You got every advantage when they put out the lights : Nightvision (5 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2)

2 It's not so pretty when it fades away Cause it's just an illusion in this passion play : Detect A Class Of Things: Illusions and Images 13- (Unusual Group) (5 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 1

26 One day every eye will see truth before the light. Let it be done right now : Dispel 12d6, any illusion or image type power one at a time (+1/4) (45 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4) 4

20 Love is the light, shining over every mountain top : Dispel Darkness 12d6 (36 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4) 4

5 Firewalkers feel no pain from the coals : (Total: 13 Active Cost, 5 Real Cost) Fireproof I Armor (0 PD/4 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (7 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Only Works Against Fire or Heat (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) plus Fireproof II +4 ED (4 Active Points); Linked (Fireproof I; -1/2), Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Only Works Against Fire or Heat (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus Fireproof III Life Support (Safe in Intense Heat) (2 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Linked (Fireproof I; -1/2) (Real Cost: 1) 1

9 He'd speak in unknown languages She'd translate every word : Universal Translator 14- (21 Active Points); Only When Serving Love's Purposes (-1/2), Limited Power Conversations only, not reading and writing. (-1/2), Conditional Power Modified by "The Love Factor" - i.e. friendly speech is easily communicated, angry speech would be gibberish. (-1/4)

12 He could not make things possible But, she could make them holy, holy... : Change Environment - Sanctify to Love 8" radius, -1 OCV, Long-Lasting 1 Hour, Conforming (+1/2) (45 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Only when serving Love's purposes (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Paladin Skill Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4) 4

Talents

4 Hit me with your best shot!: Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED) (6 Active Points); Limited Power Does not stack with armor or other resistant defenses (-1/2)

10 Stand with me here together In the light of love now And forever : Divine Favor

14 I know that you're afraid You know that Im afraid, too But you gotta have faith; you gotta listen To what your heart is telling you : Fearless

12 You Better Run! You Better Hide! You better leave from my sight! : Turn Undead

3 As he traveled on a road of hope : Bump Of Direction

Skills

3 Knock me down, it's all in vain, I get right back on my feet again: Breakfall 12-

2 This hard road traveled on Will lead us home, forever : Navigation (Land) 13-

3 You can see all the lights of the diamond field The treasure buried in plain sight : Concealment 13-

3 Tightrope walkin', in the web of light : Acrobatics 12-

3 I'm gonna follow you, `cause this here's my town : Shadowing 13-

3 You don't know these streets the way that I do : Streetwise 13-

6 Hear the lion's song, voices cryin' like a desert wind : Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Desert, Mountain) 13-

3 Oh will you heal me, will you take away my pain : Paramedics 13-

3 What are we waiting for ? We can't afford to be innocent. Stand up and face the enemy. : Oratory 13-

3 I'm gonna follow you, `till I know your timing : Teamwork 12-

3 We are strong, no one can tell us we're wrong Searchin' our hearts for so long, both of us knowing Love Is A Battlefield: Tactics 13-

3 Just tryin' to keep the handle on the blade WF: Common Melee Weapons, Whips

3 So you think you got it all figured out You're an expert in the field, without a doubt But I know your methods inside and out - Jack of All Trades

2 1) I'm gonna dance for you! : PS: Dancing (3 Active Points) 12-

2 2) Once there was a man, and his words became a song of love And his song became the golden dream : PS: Singing (3 Active Points) 13-

2 3) We belong to the light, we belong to the thunder: PS: Paladin (3 Active Points) 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 200

Total Cost: 257

75+ Disadvantages

10 You're the right kind of sinner, to release my inner fantasy - Psychological Limitation: Sucker for love - must make EGO roll to resist Seduction or attempted manipulation based on friendship, passion, or compassion (Common, Moderate)

5 The wounded are much wiser -Distinctive Features: Battle Scars (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

5 Because hell, Hell is for children - Enraged: A child is harmed, endangered, abused, or neglected (Uncommon), go 8-, recover 14-

10 Once again, I'll walk the coals Tiptoe through the minefields of your soul I've come to take you home - Dependent NPC: Various people who need help 8- (Normal)

15 Just like every cross you ever carried, every badge you ever wore Every vow you ever taken, every oath you ever swore - Psychological Limitation: Once committed, never backs down or changes course. (Common, Strong)

15 Hunted: Cause somewhere, somebody keeps a list Of the evils that men do 14- (Mo Pow, Watching)

5 In love and war we stand alone Trustin' nothin' but our own, red vision : Fated always to be alone; lovers, friends, and companions always turn out to be temporary Custom Limitation, Destiny

10 Somethin' brings us together, keeps tearin' us apart - Unluck: 3d6: Only with personal relationships (-1/2)

110 Totally Awesome Bonus

Total Disadvantage Points: 257

Quote:

So fear no evil

The God i know is Love, Love

Is a battlefield

We are young, heartache to heartache we stand

No promises, no demands

Love Is A Battlefield

-----------------------------------------------------------

I really should look up all those lyrics and credit the writers....

I took the lyrics from probably a dozen different Pat Benetar songs.

I wrote the haiku in the "Quotes" section, but I basically cobbled it out of pieces - Love is a Battlefield is a Benetar song, Fear no evil is from a psalm, and God is Love is from the gospels.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests figuring out how to load that HD file....[ATTACH]31080[/ATTACH]

I got one. This is kind of a rough draft so go ahead and pick away. This is from the Headknocker song from Foreigner.

HEADKNOCKER

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

18 STR 8 13- Lift 303.1kg; 3 1/2d6 [4]

15 DEX 15 12- OCV: 5/DCV: 5

18 CON 16 13-

14 BODY 8 12-

10 INT 0 11- PER Roll 11-

11 EGO 2 11- ECV: 4

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

14 COM 2 12-

8 PD 4 Total: 8 PD (0 rPD)

6 ED 2 Total: 6 ED (0 rED)

3 SPD 5 Phases: 4, 8, 12

10 REC 4

36 END 0

50 STUN 18 Total Characteristic Cost: 94

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Leaping: 3"/6"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

Generic Martial Arts

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

5 Kick -2 +1 7 1/2d6 Strike

4 Punch +0 +2 5 1/2d6 Strike

3 Throw +0 +1 3 1/2d6 +v/5, Target Falls

Perks

2 Reputation: Brawlers and Musicians (A small to medium sized group) 8-, +2/+2d6

Skills

3 Breakfall 12-

10 "He might like to fight": +2 with HTH Combat

3 "He drives a 57' Coupe": Combat Driving 12-

5 "But he loves to play": PS: Performer 15-

6 "He's got an old fender strat": PS: Musician 15-

4 MIght show you his Smith and Wesson: WF: Common Melee Weapons, Small Arms

Notes: "Might show you his Smith and Wesson"

3 "Swears James Dean isn't dead": KS: Pop culture 12-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 56

Total Cost: 150

75+ Disadvantages

15 Dependent NPC: Girlfriend 11- (Normal)

20 Psychological Limitation: Very Jealous of his Girlfriend (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: "Swears James Dean isn't Dead" (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Likes to fight and play (Common, Strong)

10 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 150

Background/History:

Personality/Motivation:

Quote:

Powers/Tactics:

Campaign Use:

Appearance:

Lucius Alexander's Song Based Base

Hotel California

Tiffany Twisted

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 INT 10 13- PER Roll 13-

21 EGO 22 13- ECV: 7

4 SPD 16 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

Total Characteristic Cost: 60

Cost Powers END

49 Then she lit up a candle: Telekinesis (15 STR), Fine Manipulation, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (49 Active Points)

44 she got the Mercedes Benz: Sight, Hearing, Touch and Smell/Taste Groups Images - objects and people about the Hotel 1" radius, MegaScale (1" = 1 km; To cover building and grounds; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (44 Active Points)

Perks

40 Welcome to the hotel california: Base

Skills

7 Mirrors on the ceiling, The pink champagne on ice: Seduction 11-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 140

Total Cost: 200

200+ Disadvantages

20 Psychological Limitation: Her mind is tiffany-twisted - No longer remembers what she - or he, or it - is, who built the hotel and left her in charge, or what her purpose is (Common, Total)

25 Psychological Limitation: Relax, said the night man, We are programmed to receive. - Compelled to lure travellers in and trap them (Very Common, Total)

20 Dependent NPC: She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends - becomes attached to long term residents, once their minds have broken and they become passive drones, and will actually protect them from other "guests" 8- (Normal; Group DNPC: x4 DNPCs)

Hotel California

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

4 BODY 2 10-

48 we are all just prisoners here, of our own device: 8 DEF, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Hardened (+1/4), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2) (48 Active Points)

Total Characteristic Cost: 68

Perks

10 On a dark desert highway: Location: Distant

0 How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.: Grounds (x1 Base Size)

Skills

7 I saw a shimmering light: Seduction (To lure travelers in) 11-

Talents

2 I heard the mission bell: Absolute Time Sense (3 Active Points); Visible (audible) (-1/4)

Cost Powers END

20 this could be heaven or this could be hell: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Any Dimension Intersecting the Twilight Zone, Any Location) (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) 3

53 My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim: (Total: 55 Active Cost, 53 Real Cost) Transfer 1d6 (END to END), Ranged (+1/2), Line Of Sight (+1/2), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (45 Active Points) (Real Cost: 45) plus Endurance Reserve (50 END, 5 REC) Reserve: (10 Active Points); REC: (5 Active Points); Limited Power Only when Transfer END is used (-1/2) (Real Cost: 8) 4

5 Some dance to remember: Eidetic Memory, Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2), Area Of Effect (8" Radius; Courtyard; +1 3/4) (16 Active Points); Activation Roll 11- (-1), Some dance to forget: Side Effects (INT Drain; -1/2), Limited Power Only works on those dancing (-1/2)

8 Plenty of room at the Hotel California: +2 Size, Invisible Power Effects (+1) (8 Active Points)

29 They livin' it up at the Hotel California: Life Support (Some of those dimensions are very....alien) (Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing)

2 So I called up the captain, please bring me my wine: Life Support (Room Service) (Eating: Character does not eat) (3 Active Points); Limited selection we havent had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine (-1/4)

60 And in the masters chambers, They gathered for the feast They stab it with their steely knives, But they just cant kill the beast: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75%, Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2) (90 Active Points); BODY Only (-1/2)

60 And in the masters chambers, They gathered for the feast They stab it with their steely knives, But they just cant kill the beast: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75%, Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2) (90 Active Points); BODY Only (-1/2)

18 And in the masters chambers, They gathered for the feast They stab it with their steely knives, But they just cant kill the beast: Healing 3 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (110 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), IIF Immobile Unbreakable (Focus (The rooms and halls of the hotel itself); -1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)

35 Equipment Doubling for Healing power: all 125+ rooms (35 Active Points)

39 I had to find the passage back To the place I was before: Shape Shift (Sight, Touch and Hearing Groups, limited group of shapes: Any Hotel), Instant Change, Costs END Only To Change Shape (+1/4) (39 Active Points) 3

4 You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!: Life Support (Longevity: Here for a long stay..... 1600 Years)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 352

Total Cost: 420

372+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: There were voices down the corridor, I thought I heard them say... (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Physical Limitation: And still those voices are calling from far away, Wake you up in the middle of the night Just to hear them say... (Frequently, Slightly Impairing- lost sleep)

25 Accidental Change: Any attempt to escape. Last thing I remember, I was Running for the door. Always (Common)

5 Reputation: Any time of year, you can find it here - like Shangri La or Brigadoon or Irem, a place said to appear and disappear mysteriously., 8- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)

5 Reputation: are all just prisoners here, of our own device, 8- (Extreme - place of no return; Known Only To A Small Group)

Total Disadvantage Points: 420

Background/History: Hotel California is but one of its names. Eagle's Rest, Fort Nonsense, Sterling Inn, are but a few of the names on the sign in different times and places. Usually it appears at twilight, or whenever a traveler's head grows heavy and sight grows dim...

More than a building, it is an entity, ancient and alien. The mind that inhabits this phenomenon – which for now thinks of itself as “Tiffany Twisted” - no longer remembers its origin, if indeed it had a genesis and is not an eternal manifestation of the powers of dream and nightmare. It could be the product of some primal magick or of an unimaginably advanced technology. Or as the Guardian of Forever said, “Both. And neither.”

It will appear in some lonely place, perhaps beside a dark desert highway, in the form of some inn or hostel, castle or convent, usually as something that looks as if it belongs – indeed, as if it had stood so for years or centuries – and welcome in some traveling band or solitary pilgrim. Once admitted, the new “guest” will find it very hard to depart – and if someone does escape they may find they are no longer in the world or time they knew....

Not all of the guests are Human – or recognize one another as such – and many of them are insane, sometimes violently so. Sometimes a gang of them will focus on the one they perceive as strangest and blame that person for their situation, accusing them of being the evil force in control. Lacking the ability to destroy or escape from the Hotel itself, they turn savagely upon a chosen scapegoat, and are only likely to be confirmed in their delusion if they “just can't kill the beast.”

No matter how many are already resident, it seems there's always vacancy at the Hotel California. Perhaps after centuries of being drained for power, the guests simply fade away, becoming the ghostly images sometimes seen haunting the halls.

Powers/Tactics: "This could be heaven or this could be hell.”

It is possible that, in the myriad rooms of the Hotel, lurk people who are both happy and still sane. After all, the Hotel will provide for your basic needs for food and shelter (even if you do have a few sleepless nights listening to the other guests.) No one here grows old or gets sick (except for those occasional dizzy spells and mild headaches.) Nothing from outside can harm you, and the Hotel even acts sometimes to protect the guests from one another – or themselves. If you're on the run and can't go home again anyway, checking into the Hotel California may be the best thing that can happen to you....

Except that there is no way out. One day the view out the window may make you shudder and draw the curtain, and the next it may be breathtakingly beautiful – but either way, it is out of reach. The Hotel itself changes constantly, and is bigger than it looks – but is still finite. To many guests, it seems to combine the monotony of prison with the terror and confusion of an unstable and unpredictable environment. People go crazy here.

Tiffany will appear “in person” (Image combined with Telekinesis) to welcome new guests, and will usually have hit them with the END Transfer even before they reach the gate. At first she will be welcoming, perhaps even seductive, as long as no one tries to leave or do anything hostile. Anyone trying to retrace their steps will find that the architecture has changed.

If someone tries to attack another “guest” the Hotel will probably extend the protection of its Damage Reduction to the target. Anyone who seems like a possible troublemaker will get multiple doses of the END Transfer, and anyone who attacks the structure of the Hotel itself will become the target of both the END Transfer and Telekinesis. If someone seems too dangerous to handle, the Hotel will actually let them escape – after having moved to a dimension where the environment is suitably hostile.

While it is possible to break out by main force, doing so should be a challenge even for a superhero. A Killing Attack with two levels of Penetrating is probably the best bet to breach a wall – and the Hotel will probably put several walls between the character and the outside if it can.

On the other hand, if the players figure out that the Hotel can be communicated with, there may be a way to talk or trick their way out. Perhaps Tiffany will offer a bargain - “I'll let you go if you bring me one person (or two, or three?) to replace you.” Might the character try to find someone who would welcome the chance to check in? Or refuse the bargain as dishonorable? Or simply promise and not return? Ah, but what if it's “Bring me four more guests and you can all go. But remember that your three friends remain here. They will be my guests forever if you fail to return with the four.”

Finally, escape could be a matter of solving a puzzle or mystery of some kind, a matter of exploration or observation. Secrets could be hidden about the Hotel or learned by talking to other guests. Perhaps a key hidden in the Master's Chamber will allow someone to return to the time and place from which they came. Perhaps a complex computer terminal behind the front desk will allow someone with the right skills to reprogram Tiffany Twisted. Maybe an incantation found in the library or dredged up from some scholarly character's memory has the power to force Tiffany to obey three commands. Or there is a window of time every 13 hrs when the front door is visible and unlocked....but does not necessarily lead back to your own world....

Campaign Use:

Depending on the abilities of the player characters, checking in could be the beginning of a brief surreal vacation, or the start of an entire campaign. If one or more characters have means of interdimensional travel, the Hotel could get them temporarily lost; at the other extreme escape could be the long term goal of a game including dozens of adventures centered on exploring the Hotel and interacting with its residents or with whoever - or whatever - comes in from Outside. It can be the plot device powering a crossworlds game in which the characters visit one world after another, probably just trying to get home. And what if it's the character's DNPC that was spirited away?

Quotes: What a nice surprise

You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!

[ATTACH]31106[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31107[/ATTACH]

Lucius Alexander

The song "Hotel California" is by The Eagles. Character sheet copyright Palindromedary Enterprises.

• 1 month later...

Red Horse Rider

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- Lift 200.0kg; 3d6 [1]

18 CON 16 13-

10 BODY 0 11-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll 12-

11 EGO 2 11- ECV: 4

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack: 3d6

10 COM 0 11-

3 PD 0 Total: 3 PD (0 rPD)

4 ED 0 Total: 4 ED (0 rED)

7 REC 0

36 END 0

27 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 46

Movement:

Running: 5"/10"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Skills

2 We were sworn to protect: AK: A Timeless Land 11-

2 our steel pledged to greater goals: WF: Common Melee Weapons

3 Meant to serve: KS: What our lords deemed as Good 12-

3 Part of a greater whole: Teamwork 12-

3 We swore, Lords, a pledge, with breath and tongue; a pledge I now break with my heart: Oratory 12-

3 So find me a horse, as red as the sun: Riding 12-

3 Find me a blade that will make their blood run: +1 with any sword

3 I will ride out at dawn while the sun's in the sky: Tracking 12-

2 So the buzzards can see where the bodies will lie: Survival (Desert) 12-

1 Bring me my lance, bring my shield WF: Lances

4 Strong as my sword is the vengeance I weild: +1 with All Combat (8 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs targets of vengeance (-1)

2 To seek vengeance is wrong, claim our masterful lords: +2 with KS: What our lords deemed as Good

2 But vengeance has tempered my sword: +1 with HTH Combat (5 Active Points); Limited Power Only vs targets of vengeance (-1)

3 That shattered life I could never retrieve, no well meaning wizard can save: Power: Magic 12-

3 Your virtues pure don't allow what I've planned: Concealment 12-

3 Your virtues pure don't allow what I've planned: Stealth 12-

Cost Powers END

30 Vengeance has tempered my sword: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6-1, Variable Advantage (+1 Advantages; +2) (75 Active Points); Limited Power Only when enraged in combat (-1), No STR Bonus (-1/2) 7

Notes: The Sword of Vengeance is not a focus, and cannot be taken away - it will appear in her hand whenever she is in combat with the targets of her revenge.

Perks

15 Find me a horse, as red as the sun: Follower: The Sun Horse

Talents

12 Combat Luck (6 PD/6 ED)

5 By God, I'll pay killers their due!: Rapid Healing (Won't stay down)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 104

Total Cost: 150

75+ Disadvantages

10 Those beliefs impede what I'm called now to do, my allegiance is sundered apart! Reputation: Forsworn, 11- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)

10 My soul was torn from me this day: Half of me lies interred in his grave. Psychological Limitation: Grieving (Uncommon, Strong)

5 My companion was made to be half of me, we were sealed in both body and soul. What is life to a human alone, how can one unpartnered be whole? Psychological Limitation: Death Wish (Uncommon, Moderate)

20 He was slaughtered at night, not a warrior's death, all goodness seemed useless and vile; Good let my fragile world be destroyed, my hopes by such lies were defiled! Hunted: The same people she's hunting 11- (As Pow, PC also hunting them, Harshly Punish)

30 Forgive me, my lords, for what I do, know that this sinner is suffering too - but your virtues pure don't allow what I've planned, and by God I'll pay killers their due! Enraged: In combat with the targets of vengeance (Common), go 14-, recover 8-

Total Disadvantage Points: 150

Background/History: Oathbreaker, called Red Horse Rider, lost everything when she broke faith with the benevolent wizard lords she had been sworn to serve, even her name. When they forbade her to seek revenge for the partner she had been soulbonded to, she renounced her oath and conjured the Sun Horse and the sword Avenger with stolen magical knowledge and forbidden rites.

Personality/Motivation: Lives for revenge. When they are all dead, will probably turn mercenary, deliberately taking the most dangerous jobs and constantly courting death.

Quote: I will ride out at dawn when the sun's in the sky, so the buzzards can see where the bodies will lie.

Powers/Tactics: Only the need to kill them all compels her to stealth and guile, picking them off one by one when she'd rather charge them en mass. Perhaps her mysterious mount is responsible for the ability to come and go at will without leaving tracks or being spotted.

Campaign Use: As an NPC, she may enlist the PCs to help her. Or if they are associated with the group she hunts, or just standing in the way, she will have no compunctions about trying to kill them. Once that mission is fulfilled, she will make a very moody, angry, and reckless warrior for hire.

The song “Temper of Revenge” by Julia Ecklar.

Red Horse Rider character sheet by

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

Can I get a copy for the website?

Sir, I am flattered. Let me see if I remember how to do this....

[ATTACH]31646[/ATTACH]

An idea that occurs to me - as a mercenary (assuming she survives the original mission) maybe she'll specialize in helping people whose motivation is revenge. That would mean a couple of her skill levels don't become totally obsolete.

Also note that the Enraged and the magic sword are both 30 pts, meaning that they can be dropped together when the last target goes down without changing the balance.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests maybe I should always post the Hero Designer file, as my characters are usually popular. Wow. I must be doing something right when even the palindromedary isn't being snide to me.