[Campaign] The Fearless Monster Hunters

teh bunneh

Just over 50 years ago, a group of adventurers roamed through the Sylvan Gulf, righting wrongs and fighting against evil, wherever it showed its ugly face. They called themselves The Fearless Monster Hunters, and their heroic exploits made them into legends.

They traveled the world for the better part of a decade in their mighty ship, The Endeavor. Old heroes sometimes left (for various reasons, including sometimes, unfortunately, death), and new heroes joined the group, but always they stood by the principles for which they had first banded together – to give hope to the hopeless, to bring light to the darkest places, and to protect the world from dangers too fearsome for the common man to face.

After their final (and greatest) adventure, the remaining Fearless Monster Hunters disbanded and returned to their various homes. Their exploits had made most of them quite wealthy, and they were able to retire in style. Some of them, having faced life-threatening dangers together, fell in love and stayed together to raise a family. Others went back to their childhood sweethearts, or found someone new, and had children of their own.

Their children, and in some cases their grandchildren, grew up hearing about the exploits of their parents and learning from them what it is like to be a true hero. But it has been far too long – decades have passed without the presence of the Fearless Monster Hunters, and dangers of the world have not grown fewer – and it is time for a new generation to take up the mantle!

I'm beginning a new FH game this month with my regular group. Most of us have been together for more than a decade, but a few joined the group about a year ago. This game is taking place in my own fantasy world, Temoris (which is the same world as the Black Blood River Expeditionary Company, if you remember my last campaign log). I've been running games in Temoris for the better part of 25 years -- it began as a AD&D game, and still retains much of the flavor of that system.

I'll be posting campaign logs in this thread as the game goes on. I expect it will last about a year, starting with a few minor, unrelated adventures and culminating in a giant battle to save the known world! :bounce:

The game begins in the city of Areian, the capital of the Elvish homeland, which sits on the edge of the Sylvan Gulf. The characters have all received a letter from an old family friend – Hob Hodgeson, one of the original Fearless Monster Hunters – asking them to come to the city and meet him for unknown reasons.

And thus our game begins... :sneaky:

Bill.

(I welcome your comments, questions, and feedback!) :cheers:

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: [Campaign] The Fearless Monster Hunters

add to my list of threads? Huh what?

explain

I think he means he's subscribing to the thread. :)

At the top of the thread is a menu bar. One of the options is "Thread Tools." Click on Thread Tools and a drop-down menu will pop-up. Select "Subscribe to this thread." Anytime something new is posted in the thread, you'll get an email (or you can select the "No email" option if you like).

Got my first character backgrounds in today. Here's Char's character.

Castilla Marta

Let's face it, not everyone has the best childhood, mine could have been worse. I was rejected by my family, through no fault of my own. I guess my parents at least cared enough about me to let someone raise me that would take care of me. But I guess I should start at the beginning- but I do not know the beginning- so I will tell what I know.

I was the second child born to my noble parents. I had an older brother. I don't know how many other brothers and sisters I might or might not have. When I was born, people were in mourning like someone had died. I was born a freak- my family could not handle the fact that I was born dark-touched. Someone in the family had not been the pinnacle of morality. If it got out that I was born to my family it could ruin their reputation. So they decide to cover up the fact that I was born at all.

When I was younger, I did not live with the rest of my family. I stayed in the servant's quarters. I got around the manner well, everyone was too busy to keep an eye on me. I learned how to sneak around, I liked to know everything that was going on. My brother used to sneak down to my room, and we used to go out and have a great time, we would play. My brother Cayo, used to be the only member of the family that truly cared about me. He used to sneak me treats, those were the only treats that I got as a child. The best thing that I got as a child was a staff a present from my brother. It is made of ironwood, it is a deep purple color with markings all over it. The staff means a lot to me, it reminds me that someone out there cares. We got caught- I got most of the blame being born like I was- I was born to be a trouble-maker (at least in my parent's opinion).

I will never forget the day that I got caught sneaking around with my brother. I never saw anyone from my family again- or the manor. I was banished, just a dark family secret. I don't know what happened to my brother- I just hope he is ok. I was still fairly young- too young to fully understand what was going on. My father sent me to another city to a friend of the family. He and my father had been friends since they were fairly young. He also got invited to all of the holidays with the family. I had grown-up on stories of him and my father going and fighting monsters. When I showed up at his door he was very surprised. He took me into his home, and treated me like the daughter he never had.

He and my father had been friends since they were teenagers. They went out and rescued people. He was a little upset that my father had rejected me. I just told him that he had to keep up appearances that I did not fit in to. My father used to kill monsters and I know he sees me as a monster. I think if I can turn his opinion around, maybe I will be accepted no matter what other people's opinions may be. He still cares about me I am still his child.

I am grateful that he did take me in. If he had not I would have had no one to turn to. I guess I will never fully understand why he took me in. When I ask him why he decided to do it he says "I owe your father, he will see the right way."

We had a small apartment in Brills. I guess that I would call him a mentor of sorts, went to teaching me all sorts of cool things. Brills always had a lot going on and people to learn from a fact I took full advantage of. I would go out and meet new people daily, it was a different adventure every day.

I kept my ability from when I was young to sneak around; I usually knew what was going on in the city. I picked up the art of how to get in and out of places that were generally off limits. I also became adept at stealing, much to my mentor's dismay. Some people would call them thieves- but I think of it more as an art then a way of life. My family pays me more than enough to live on - just for staying away.

My mentor Giorgio, meant everything to me. He became my family. He also showed me to be proud of what I look like- and I am. He also showed me that it was ok that I was dark-touched. That I could still be good, and help people, just because I was dark-touched it did not mean that I would necessarily be evil. It was my choice. Giorgio was a Jack, and since he was in charge of me he showed me how to turn my natural talents into something good.

Giorgio would tell me stories about when he and my father were young. I think in those days he could have accepted me for who I was, no matter what I looked like. He told me tales of them going out and killing monsters, saving innocent people. I am not sure that I could ever do that. People think I am a monster by the way I look- they might never believe the fact that I am trying to save them.

When I finally reached my teenage years, I got into stealing more often to improve the art. I also went out a lot- to hide the pain of my past I would drink. I still drink to this day- I can't seem to stop. I think I started for several reasons; the first is that is what the crowd did that I was with. Another reason is that it helped me, and still does, hide my pain about not being able to go around my family. When I don't have a drink I don't seem to be myself, or maybe I am just not comfortable with who I am. I just use drinking as an excuse to be someone that I like more.

Every once in a while when I saw someone that reminded me of my family, I would wish that they could accept me for who I am and look past what I look like. I want my place in my family. They must feel that something is missing, something that permits them from being a whole family. I am still fairly young but I wonder if I go out and make a good name for myself if I could get in good with my family- if they could see past what I look like. I wish I knew what they were doing now. They are grooming my brother to take over for the family someday- I wonder if my brother remembers who I am.

Now I am looking at going to the city of Areian. Giorgio said I needed to go. I got a letter from a friend of him and my father from their monster hunting days. I don't know if I should admit to who my father is- I am the family secret. People see me as a monster; I am hoping this just isn't a trap. I am going to be on guard. My father could have put him up to this, so that he would not have to worry about me maybe dropping by on the family at some point in time.

"Darktouched" is a person who has, somewhere in their ancestry, demonic blood. A "Jack" is the proverbial jack-of-all-trades, jack-the-giant-killer, jack-and-the-beanstalk; a ne'er-do-well and practicioner of many skills (often the illegal kind).

The next character:

Illysandri Madril's Background

As a child I never really accepted who and what I was. We lived near the western border, and I had many human playmates. I tried and tried to be human, but I never quite made it. Then, I went to my father's village, the great ship K'syll, but they did not know what to do with me. After the hundredth time pulling me from the waves and breathing life back into my body, it became clear that though I looked like my father, I was not of the blue. And so I lived, midway and never anywhere, for most of my childhood. I had grown upon the tales of my mother, the great swordswoman Plisianna, who had traveled with the Fearless Monster Hunters, who had held the heart of the Necromancer Olfillon in her hand, who had slain so many of the restless dead that it was rumored that new ones were "born" with a fear of her. The oracle told her that the warrior woman was so strong in her blood she could never bear a male child. My six sisters would tend to agree with you. I never really fit in with them either. None of them shared my father, Axilon, with me, he died during my birth.

It wasn't my mother's fault. One of her many enemies had come in her brief moment of weakness, and he had stood at the door long enough for me to be born, and for my mother to take up her sword and protect the rest of us, still bleeding from my arrival. She slew the barbarian Hilgar with me in one arm, so I am told.

My sisters took to the sword well, unlike me. They were beautiful and strong, unlike me. My sisters were pale and shimmered in the moonlight, unlike me. My eldest sister, Furiel, she took my mother's blade and set off to make a name for herself when I was very young.

My mother didn't know what to do with me. I learned the basics of fighting, but I would never be a master. So she left me to my own devices as she trained my sisters. My own devices turned out to be books, and I spent my early years in the company of books and strangers.

When I was merely 25, the oracle returned. She spoke to my mother in private, and I could hear the sounds of an argument. When she finally emerged, my mother gathered the six of us together and spoke gravely.

She told of a promise she once made to an old friend, and to a deal struck with the oracle.

We were to travel together to a far mountain, where we were to meet with a mage from her old traveling days. From there we were to do as he told us.

My sisters and I were confused, me most of all. I was not fit for adventuring. I wasn't sickly or anything so mundane, I just didn't know much about fighting or dealing with the magic that lived in the world. My mother insisted that all of us go, much to the chagrin of my sisters.

And so we traveled. It turned out my knowledge of the languages helped a great deal, but there was nothing I could do during the brief skirmishes we met with. It seemed incredibly difficult to travel this time. I had not been bound by training regimens like my sisters so I had been around, but every night we had to sit watch because of monsters waiting in the darkness, and every day we met with bandits, creatures, or treacherous terrain that challenged our passage.

By the time we arrived at the mountain cave, we had spent all of our money on healing, and all of our food on our way there. We entered with much trepidation.

It was horrible. Traps sprayed us with acid, bile and poison. Animals and undead leapt from every corridor. Walls crushed us and puzzles stood as hurdles to our path. By the time we entered the central cavern, it was only myself and my sister, Syggiad, and we were wracked with pain and grief. We were greeted by a tiny human, who looked like he was at least 100 years old.

As we stood there, prepared to fight, he tilted his head back and began to laugh. Syggiad's face turned from fear to hatred. She demanded to know who he was, and why he was laughing at our misfortune. He told us he needed to test us, to know that we were worthy. To know which of the sisters would be strong enough to carry on the legacy of Wyssien. He told us that when he was young he had traveled with our mother and had accepted a curse in her stead in exchange she would provide him with an heir.

At this my sister screamed at him, calling him all manner of names and charging him. With a passing wave of his hand I watched as she shattered into dust. With that, he turned to me and shrugged his shoulders. He pulled out an ornate dagger and before I could react, ran me through.

I awoke to see my mother's face, despondent, before me. It took me a moment to focus, and when I did I could see my other sisters standing there as well. She explained to me that her friend had sent each back in turn, leaving the rest to believe them dead. Each test they failed would send another back, and that the dagger in my chest was the last remnants of his power as a wild mage. My possession of it meant he had passed on his power to me, but in doing so he was no more. She mourned his passing as I healed.

I am still not sure entirely what he did to me, but my magic began to reveal itself faster than I could ever hope to control it. I began to test it, work with it. It was a scientific endeavor for me. I took the discipline I had gained from my studies and applied it to my arts. I began to change, and my alienation from my sisters grew wider. My mother found for me mages and clerics to train me, but the rote garbage of the mages and faith of the clerics only provided me with ideas for true magic, and their techniques did nothing for me.

This haughtiness served me well, but I will be the first to admit sometimes my power exceeds my grasp. That is how I got this white hair. It was an experiment that Styggiad interrupted. I was trying to disguise myself and I unfortunately changed my form permanently. Luckily this was the least of my "experimental" errors. My elf friends stopped talking to me after that, some nonsense about white being bad luck.

I wasn't completely unguided, however. Wyssian still lives somewhere inside me, and in my dreams he guides my development. He was the one who taught me to focus on the elements to master my magic. I showed an affinity for water and air, lightning seemed to be my strongest weapon. I accidentally summoned an earth elemental once, and after it destroyed my mother's home and cursed me with a weakness for his correspondence.

After that incident my mother decided I should go out and see the world, to experience more and to test my magics "in the field" as it were. I spent the next few decades wandering, ostensibly looking for my sister, who had not been home since I was young. Now my mother tells me I have a new quest, one to continue her work. This should interesting, to say the least. Who would have imagined that I would be the one to carry the torch of my family, even if I could never carry the sword.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on the villains for the first adventure. No, villains is too strong a word. The foils for the next adventure -- another adventuring party that the PCs will have to deal with. They aren't evil, but they have goals that cross the heroes. I've been spending some time with them, so I'm hoping that they become long-term rivals with the PCs, popping up from time to time to get in the way.

OTOH, my players might just try to slaughter them the first time they see 'em, so I guess we'll find out. :) I may post the rival adventuring team here eventually, if people are interested.

We're starting the game this weekend! I've got character sheets for everyone, but not full backgrounds yet. Hopefully I'll see those before the game begins.

Here's the first of the (hopefully recurring) foils for the PCs to deal with:

Boh Hodgeson

Background/History: Boh grew up in a small town not far from Ariaea. His mother had grown up on stories of the Fearless Monster Hunters – they had saved her village from a pirate Ogre before she was born, and the people still talked about it to this day. When she learned that one of the original FMHs lived in the big city, she was determined to meet him. Scraping together all her money, she boarded a ship and found the man of her dreams!

She was with him for just over a month when it finally dawned on her that, actually, he was pretty boring – just a middle-aged restauranteer, no longer the brave hero that she had imagined. Sadder and a little wiser, she left and went back home. But then she discovered that she was pregnant! Nine months later, she gave birth to her son, and the son of Hob Hodgeson, and named him Boh.

Boh, like his mother, grew on stories of the heroism and sacrifice of the Fearless Monster Hunters, and like his mother, when he was old enough he set off to find his father. Hob was delighted and excited to meet the son he never knew he had, and took Boh in gladly. Boh lived with his father for nearly a year, helping Hob rebuild the Endeavor. But, like his mother, Boh learned that his father wasn't really very interesting anymore. The stories were bigger than the man.

Determined not to let the legend whither and die (like his father seemed to be doing), Boh set out to find like-minded friends and rekindle the myth of the Fearless Monster Hunters.

Personality/Motivation: Boh is seeking excitement. He wants a life of adventure and travel, to see the world and to right wrongs all over. He's not a bad person, he's just so excited that he rushes into things and makes a lot of mistakes. He also seldom looks back on what he's done -- he just assumes things will work out. He has a short attention span.

Powers/Tactics: Boh is a human Jack with some Thaumaturgical talent. He's the leader of the New Fearless Monster Hunters, though he lacks the skills or experience that would make him an effective leader. Mostly the others follow him because he's the one with the grand vision.

Appearance: Boh is the splitting image of his father, 50 years ago. He's a typical Demorian Westroner, with fair skin, brown hair, and green eyes. He's well-built and good looking. He dresses in leather armor and carries a sword. His eyes often sparkle with excitement, and he's always looking over the next horizon (never at what's right in front of or directly behind him).

Here's the second member of the "villainous" team: the party's spellcaster, Tawny Rose!

Tawny Rose

Background/History: Dolgar Rose was a great and powerful wizard who made quite a name for himself in certain circles. A Nekian by birth, he retired to his homeland after he had amassed his fortune. Dolgar had a single daughter – Tawny, named for her mane of wild blonde hair – and raised her to be his heir. She grew up in his private tower, learning the scholarly ways of magic. But she grew restless of being penned up in that stone fortress, and by the time she was a teenager she was starting to turn into a rebel.

She took to sneaking out of the house and hanging with a wild crowd, drinking, fighting, cursing, and doing all the things her father would not approve of. Dolgar tried to bring his daughter back under control, but the harder he tried, the worse things got. Eventually, he had no choice – he offered her an ultimatum: Follow my rules, or get out.

For Tawny, the choice wasn't hard to make. She packed a few meager belongings and left without a second thought. She found her way to the White City of Areaia, paying for her way with her magical talents and her penchant for browbeating anyone who disagrees with her.

She had just about worn out her welcome in Areaia when she met Boh. She was trying to start a fight in his father's restaurant, but rather than throw her out, Boh was fascinated by her straightforward personality and obvious magical talents. He asked if she would join the team he was thinking of forming, and she readily agreed.

Since then, she and Boh have grown close. It's apparent to everyone else that they care for one another, but Tawny is too afraid of intimacy to allow the relationship to flourish.

Personality/Motivation: Tawny is a stereotypical Nekian – brash, loud, and pugnacious. She carries a chip on her shoulder, daring anyone and everyone to knock it off. She is brave and bold, never backing down from a fight and never admitting to any weakness. Her overconfidence can be either inspiring or annoying, depending on who you ask. She loves to drink, she has a huge appetite, and she likes to sing bawdy songs and tell dirty jokes – if someone in the room hasn't blushed (or been knocked unconscious) by the time she's finished, she considers the night a failure.

Despite being a wizard with numerous combat spells at her disposal, she knows how to get "down and dirty" if she needs to – preferring bare-knuckles, but willing to pull out her short sword if things get serious.

Powers/Tactics: Tawny will open any fight with a string of crude insults – in fact, fights frequently break out because of her loud mouth. If it's a friendly brawl, she'll happily wade in with both fists. If it's "for real," she'll break out the magic, starting with her most devastating spells and working from there.

Appearance: Tawny, like her name suggests, is a fair-skinned, fair-haired beauty. Her eyes are deep, mysterious green, and her hair is long, wild, and unruly (despite her best efforts at keeping it under control). She's of medium height and build, buxom and fairly well muscled (especially for a person who spent the first two-thirds of her life as an academic). She wears practical clothing like trousers, a simple shirt and vest, and comfortable boots (no robes and sandles for her!), preferring dark earth-tones accentuated with simple silver jewelry. Though quite lovely, she has a very loud & annoying voice and speaks with an exaggerated Nekian accent (the accent generally goes away when she's drunk).

Hola everyone! The game is off to a rip-roaring start, and most of the heroes have now met one another and learned why they've been called together...

----------

Each of the heroes received – either personally or through their mentor -- an identical letter, which was delivered by personal courier anywhere from a few weeks to a few months ago, and they have all (for whatever reasons) decided to do as the letter asked – namely, come to Areian this month and meet with Hob Hodgeson, a former traveling companion of their parents/grandparents/mentors.

Areian is one of the oldest and largest of the cities of the Alvhair. Situated on the northern coast of the Sylvan Gulf, it is a busy seaport. It is known as the White City, because of the white marble making up most of its famous and beautiful temples and palaces. Areian is a fairly large city of some 25,000 souls and is the capital of Pasion.

None of them had any trouble finding the address – apparently Hob’s Hot Pot is one of the most famous and busiest restaurants along the Sylvan Gulf, and it was easy to get directions. Each of them arrived at roughly the same time, coming up to the busy entrance.

Sir Justin was the first to walk up to the door, but he was bowled over by the very eager Trouble Thunderfoot, who couldn’t wait to meet Mister Hob and start fighting monsters. Justin was helped to his feet by a young Hobbit and a Dwarf with some terrible facial scarring. Together, these three entered the restaurant and introduced themselves to Hob, who was delighted to meet them all in the flesh.

Shortly thereafter, another young woman came in, shy and rather reluctant to reveal herself, but Hob recognized her as the protégé of one of his old adventuring companions and welcomed her in with open arms.

Hob was an old man, well into his seventies, and missing one eye. He used to be small and lithe, but owning a restaurant has caused him to balloon up considerably. Trouble remembered Hob from his grandpappy’s stories – a member of the Fearless Monster Hunters, he joined later in the company's life and was there when the companions finally decided to go their separate ways. He was both a Thaumaturgist and a Jack, and is remembered fondly by most of the other surviving Fearless Monster Hunters. After the group broke up, he moved here, to Areian, to open a restaurant on the docks.

Hob sent piles of food to the hungry heroes’ table, and they discovered why his restaurant is so popular. Hot Pot is a simmering pot of stock at the center of the dining table. While the hot pot is kept simmering, ingredients are placed into the pot and are cooked at the table. Dishes included thinly sliced meat, vegetables, mushrooms, wontons, egg dumplings, and seafood.

After things began to slow down, Hob finally had time to sit with the heroes and tell them why he called for them. As a trio of Elvish musicians began to play in the background, Hob revealed his sad, sad story – "The story of why I had to summon you from your own lives to come deal with this menace – a menace that you, and only you, are suited to end!"

(I actually turned on some sad violin music ("Transylvanian Lullaby," played by Gil Shaham) at this point, to highlight the tragedy of Hob's tale. The players were rolling in the aisles). :lol:

"It all began some years ago," he said, his eyes brimming with tears. "I, a foolish old man longing to relive his past, began a foolish project. You see, I had a dream to rebuild the Endeavor – the mighty ship that the Fearless Monster Hunters used to sail the seas, the ship that sheltered us through every danger imaginable, the ship that was more than just our home, it was like our mother!

The sadness of the story was almost too much for Trouble to take, and he began weeping openly (between mouthfuls of tasty food) along with Hob.

"So following my dream, I spent years recreating that ship, timber by timber, every rope, every sail, every gunwale, it was perfect in every way, just like the Endeavor herself had slipped through time and found herself docked here, in this city, at this time."

"And then, a nightmare! A group of thieves and brigands… they… they took the ship! They began using it to travel up and down the coastline, acting like pirates and thugs, and what's worse... what's worse... I can't even bring myself to say it out loud... What's worse is that they call themselves..."

At that, the front door of the restaurant crashed open and a gruff voice announced, "The Fearless Monster Hunters have returned!"

A group of six men and women stormed into the place, laughing, slapping each other, being boisterous young folks. They pulled up the best table in the room. "Food!" they yelled. "Bring us food, old man! The Fearless Monster Hunters are hungry – and when they're hungry, they eat!"

Hob broke off his story to go take care of his new customers. He told the heroes that he would explain the rest later, but asked them not to do anything until then. The heroes kept a close eye on the newcomers, and noticed that one of them was the spitting image of Hob – he looks just like Hob must've looked 50 years ago. The young Hob was just as noisy as the others, and seemed to be the leader of the others.

Sir Justin decided to check into this new group, and went over to sit with them. He pretended to be interested in their adventures, and learned that they were (according to themselves) brave heroes who risked their lives to defeat evil monsters – including a giant shark, a rampaging griffin, and a marauding pirate ship.

He also learned all their names – the leader was called Boh, a young handsome man who looked just like his father. There was a loud-mouthed Nekian woman with a mane of blonde hair named Tawny. Vestnik was a dour warrior-type with an unplacable accent and a long black moustache. Thor was a Borish barbarian type, with a black beard and huge rippling muscles. Golden was a White Elf, tall, handsome, and noble. And finally was Octavia, beautiful Octavia, with hair as black as a raven’s wing and eyes like pools of desire.

Octavia sat next to Justin and charmed him considerably, gracing him with her beauty and conversation for several minutes before she realized he had no money. At that point, she seemed to forget he was even here. The other Monster Hunters laughed at his misery – "Oh ho!" they snickered. "Looks like Octavia has shot down another one!" Justin took their ribbing with as much good nature as he could summon, then rejoined his companions.

At about this point, the Monster Hunters decided that this place was boring and they left. Now that they were gone, Hob rejoined the party, tears staining his cheeks. "My son was raised by his mother. He showed up at my doorstep about a year ago – imagine my surprise and delight! I had a boy! I was so excited, I showed him my life's work – the new Endeavor, and he helped me finish it. He had grown up hearing stories about the Fearless Monster Hunters from his mother (she was sort of a groupie, I guess. We had a brief fling before she left me), and he seemed to relish the idea that his father was once a great hero."

"Well, you know how it is with young people nowadays – they're always so eager to show off in front of their friends. Young Boh fell in with a rough crowd, a bunch of ne'er-do-wells and rogues. He told them stories about the Monster Hunters. I didn't think much of it at the time, but about three months ago, the Endeavor disappeared from the docks, along with my boy!"

"I was at my wit's end! I didn't know what to do! I searched everywhere, followed-up every rumor, and then I finally heard some news. A group of so-called "adventurers" had been roaming the coast, looking for trouble – and finding it! I can't even describe the trouble they've caused. On their first outing, they killed a griffin… which belonged to a White Elf nobleman – his prized hunting griffin. They battled a pirate ship, which was actually a Nekian naval ship in disguise, out hunting pirates themselves!"

"And the worst part of it is, is that they're calling themselves... oh, I can't bring myself to say it!"

The party members rolled their eyes. "Yeah, we know. Go ahead with your story," they told him.

"They are destroying the reputation of the Fearless Monster Hunters," Hob continued. "And try as I might, I can't stop them! I'm just an old man now, and I've forgotten most of what I ever knew about wizardry and war."

"That's why I called you all here. You are the sons and daughters (and grandsons and granddaughters, and nephews and neices, and protiges, and... well, you get the idea) of the real Fearless Monster Hunters. The ship I built is by all rights yours. I've been following your careers from afar, and you all have the makings of true heroes about you. Please, I beg of you, bring back the legend that once burned so brightly!"

"But... um... could you please do it without hurting my son or his friends...?"

The new companions began discussing possible ways to take down these rivals (with Hob still sitting there at the table, his eyes wide with shock at some of their suggestions). They asked him what the ship looked like and where it was, and Trouble jumped in to describe it.

The Endeavor was a beautiful small 2-masted cog that was built to weather the storms of hell. The figurehead – a beautiful, proud Blue Elf – is the only original piece of the ship, rescued from the wreckage of the original Endeavor, and though weather-worn she still clings proudly to the fore.

The heroes asked one of Hob’s waitstaff how often the Monster Hunters come back into town. He says that they’re pretty unpredictable; they leave town for a few weeks at a time, and then come back. When they’re in town, they always come back here because Hob gives them free food and drink. They are loud and messy, but they tip well so the staff doesn’t mind them too much. No one knows where the Endeavor is docked, but they’re sure it must be around the pier someplace.

Finally, Hob fell asleep at the table and the others decided to head for bed and regroup in the morning. Castilla didn’t want to spend the night alone, so she and Kaira set out to find some gentlemen companions. Castilla didn’t have much luck, but Kaira showed her the proper way of picking up guys when in the Elvish lands.

TBC! :D

Perhaps now would be the time to introduce our stalwart heroes...

Sir Justin Whitestar: A Warrior and Paladin of Mitra, the god of the sun. Justin always had a hard time living up to his family's heroic legacy, but when the call for the sons and daughters of the Fearless Monster Hunters came, he strapped on his sword and answered! Played by my buddy Mike (who played Straight Arrow in the UNITY campaign).

Trouble Thunderfoot: A Saurian (lizardman) Warrior from the great city of Brills. His grandfather was the bodyguard of a powerful Priestess from an ancient race, both of whom traveled and adventured with the FMH. Trouble grew up listening to his grandfather's tales of adventure and excitement, and when a letter came to his mistress, he begged her to let him go in her stead. She was only too happy to send the over-eager young Warrior. Played by Kate (who was Aurora in the UNITY campaign).

Kaira the Druid: A young Hobbit from the Elven nation of Pasion, Kaira's mentor was a Holy Warrior in the service of the Druidic gods. He sent her away because he feared an old enemy was getting too close, and he didn't want to endanger her. Played by my lovely wife, Tammy Sue (AKA Ifrita from UNITY).

Castilla Marta: A Jill-of-all-trades, abandoned by her noble family because of her Darktouched nature and raised by her father's best friend and former adventuring companion. Because she's been shunned and scorned all her life, she has a hard time trusting people. Played by Charlotte, who was Mittarbeit in the UNITY game.

Illysandri: A Gray Elf who does not understand the magical power she has fallen into, Illysandri is the daughter of one of the most famous of this generation's Warriors. She has a hard time living up to her mother's legend. Played by Ben, AKA Vikacis from my UNITY game.

Leth Deldorian: A doughty Dwarvish Warrior, Leth's job was to train the young of his clan in the arts of war. But a terrible accident cost many lives and brought shame down on his head. His uncle, one of the original FMH, sent him to the southlands in order to atone for his guilt. Played by Ron, better known as New Man, from UNITY.

I may create a GMPC to round out the team. They've got plenty of beef with three warriors, but they're a little lacking in the magic department. We'll see. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The heroes had their first successful mission last night! True to their "Fearless Monster Hunter" moniker, they slew several monsters that were plaguing a small village! Huzzah! :cheers:

Here's the recap:

-----

The heroes gathered together the next afternoon at Hob’s Hot Pot to discuss their options. While waiting in line, they all noticed a young woman eavesdropping on their conversation. They asked who she was and she very excitedly told them that she was Chrissie Rocks, a Taleweaver from Demoria who had traveled all this way when she had heard that the Fearless Monster Hunters were back. She wanted to chronicle their adventures, just as the bards from generations ago chronicled the adventures of the original Monster Hunters. The heroes, realizing that they needed someone to run their public relations department, invited her to join them for lunch.

Shortly thereafter, Hob came to their table and introduced the daughter of yet another Monster Hunter – Illisandri, daughter of Plisiana the great Elvish holy warrior, who had answered the restaurateur’s summons like the others. Together, the heroes discussed what their options were. Trouble was all for tracking down the fake Fearless Monster Hunters and beating them up, but fortunately (or unfortunately), cooler heads prevailed. The heroes determined that they would establish a reputation for themselves, killing monsters and helping people around the area, all the while calling themselves the Fearless Monster Hunters. When their reputation had grown great enough, the other group was sure to challenge them for the name. Our heroes would then… um… figure out what to do next. =;)

This having been decided, the team split into two groups – one to find where the Endeavor was docked, and another to see if there were any real problems or monsters nearby that they could hunt down and deal with (thus solidifying their own reputation).

Illy, Leth, and Trouble went to find the ship. After several hours of searching the docks, they discovered it. They asked a few longshoremen who owned the boat, how often they came to dock, if they were planning to leave soon, etc. The longshoremen (having their tongues loosened with some booze and some silver) told them that the Endeavor comes into dock every month or so for the last three months, stays for a few days, then sets off again. They never take on cargo or passengers, but the crew is well-paid because they spend their money freely. Because of their heavy coin purses, the shopkeepers around the docks are more than willing to put up with any shenanigans the Fearless Monster Hunters do. The longshoremen told the heroes that the ship hadn’t taken on supplies, and had just arrived in the city yesterday, so they didn’t expect it to leave for at least a few days.

The other group split up to see if there were any problems nearby that a group of adventurers could tackle. They learned that there were a number of guard/marine jobs available, but they balked at these. They heard that pirates were always a problem in these waters, but they realized they needed a ship before they could go hunting pirates. They also heard that some farmers up north were having a problem with their pigs disappearing. That sounded like just the thing!

The heroes gathered up supplies and headed north, finally coming to the small village where the problems seemed to be centered. They asked around, but learned nothing new that they hadn’t already heard from the farmers selling their goods in town. The party’s trackers (Leth and Kaira) searched the woods around the village and found that there were no animals larger than a squirrel within about a mile of the village. That night, Illy cast a scrying spell to see if she could find anything, and eventually discovered a large (cougar-sized) creature near an old decrepit barn, about a mile from the village.

The next morning, the team set off to try and track the creature. They found strange tracks all around the bard. While Kaira, Leth, and Justin followed the tracks, Trouble and Castilla went into the barn to investigate. Immediately upon entering, Trouble woke up something sleeping in a pile of old, rotten hay. Its baleful gaze met his eyes, and his whole body was instantly wracked with excruciating pain. He collapsed to the ground, unconscious and half-dead. Castilla grabbed him and dragged him out while Justin and the others ran over to the barn to see what was going on.

Chrissie began to sing and magic flowed over Trouble, bringing him to his senses. The big lizard-man charged back into the barn, angry at having been taken by surprise and determined to kill whatever it was that hurt him. Leth was surprised when a huge, chicken-like creature flew past Trouble, out of the barn, screeching and scratching at him. He managed to avoid its evil glare, and swung his axe at its head, narrowly missing. There was a fierce battle, but the heroes emerged victorious – killing three of the deadly beasts and several immature chicks.

Once the creatures were dead, they were found to be Cockatri – half chicken, half snake, very deadly. Over the next couple of days, the heroes found two more nests of the beasts and flushed them all out. These were definitely the monsters that had been killing the villagers’ pigs, and if the number of nests they found were any indication, it’s a good thing the heroes showed up when they did, lest the Cockatri develop a taste for larger prey than pigs.

The new Fearless Monster Hunters sent Chrissie back to the village to tell their story (in the hopes of growing their reputation), and then they set out back towards the city, satisfied at a job well done.

Do these PCs have minis yet' date=' cuz I know we would all love to see them. Hint freakin hint.[/quote']

I've got 4 of the 7 party members done (Leth, Trouble, Kaira, and Chrissie). I've got another one based and primed but not painted yet (Sir Justin). I've yet to get two miniatures (Castilla and Illysandri). So, I'll post some piccies soon.

I'm working on the adversaries, also. :eg: