Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vestnik

Am I being an abhorrent munchkin?

Re: Am I being an abhorrent munchkin?

FWIW I really personally dislike not buyng something that seems in character (like immunity to snake venom in this case) to start with and then buying it with XP later. It just doesn't feel right.

I'm taking your advice and dropping the WFs, as well as Martial Strike.

Here's what I've finally got. I am quite happy with it -- your suggestions were very useful. Thanks again!

I'm keeping the street kid idea in the background, just not buying the PS. AK and Sleight of Hand -- she hasn't been doing it that long.

Here she is!

ALECTO

Cost CHA Val

5 STR 15/30 STR Roll: 12-/15-; Lift: 200/1600 kg; 3d6/6d6 Strike

24 DEX 18/26 DEX Roll: 13-/14-; OCV 6/9; DCV 6/9

12 CON 16/21 CON Roll: 13-/14-

0 BODY 10 INT Roll: 12-

3 INT 13 PER Roll: 12-/14-

6 EGO 13/18 EGO Roll: 12-/13-; ECV 4/6

5 PRE 15/25 PRE Attack: 3d6/5d6

2 COM 14 PD (rPD): 9 (2)/22 (12)

6 PD 9/22 ED (rED): 9 (2)/20 (12)

6 ED 9/20 Phases 3, 6, 9, 12/3, 5, 8, 10, 12

12 SPD 4/5 Running: 6”/12”

0 REC 6/10 Leaping: 3” (1 1/2”)/ 5” (3”)

1 END 34/44 Flying: 15”/30”

0 STUN 26/36

Cost Powers

10 +15 STR (15 Active Points), OIHID (-1/4), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4)

16 +8 DEX (24 Active Points), OIHID (-1/4), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4)

7 +5 CON (10 Active Points), OIHID (-1/4), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4)

7 +5 EGO (10 Active Points), OIHID (-1/4), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4)

7 +10 PRE (10 Active Points), OIHID (-1/4), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4)

1 +1 SPD (2 Active Points), OIHID (-1/4), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4)

15 Erinyes: Elemental Control, 30-Point Powers

15 A Touch of the Divine: 25% Resistant Physical and Energy Damage

Reduction (30 Active Points)

11 Immortal: 1 BODY Regeneration, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection,

0 END Cost (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (70 Active Points), Self Only (-1/2),

Extra Time (6 Hours; -3 1/2)

10 Scales Like the Hardest Bronze: 10 PD 10 ED Armor (30 Active Points),

OIHID (-1/4), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4)

7 Winged Goddess: 15” Flight (30 Active Points), OIHID (-1/4),

Restrainable (-1/2), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4) END Cost: 3

10 Head of Serpents: 360-Degree Perception for All Senses plus

Tracking with Smell plus +2 to PER Rolls with All Sense Groups

(33 Active Points), OIHID (-1/4), Restrainable (-1/2), Not in Consecrated

Areas (-1/4)

15 Gift of Tongues: Universal Translator 17- (30 Active Points)

3 Part Snake: Immunity to Ophidotoxins

3 Creature of Darkness: Nightvision (5 Active Points), OIHID (-1/4)

Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4)

2 Divine: 2 PD 2 ED Damage Resistance

5 Olympian Goddess: Life Support: Longevity (Immortal)

5 Inscrutable Mind: Mental Defense 8/9

35 Snake-Headed Goddess of Revenge: Multipower, 70-Point Powers, All Slots

Full Phase (-1/2), OIHID (-1/4), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4)

u2 Divine Venom: 7d6 Energy Blast, No Normal Defense (LS: Immunity to Ophidotoxins,

Hardened Resistant PD, or PD Force Field; +1) (70 Active Points), Restrainable

(-1/2), OIHID (-1/4), 16 Charges (-0), Shares Charges with Spit Venom Slot (-1/4),

No Range (-1/2), Must Follow Grab or Otherwise Be In Very Close Physical

Proximity (-1/2), Full Phase (-1/2), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4)

(19 Real Cost) END Cost: 0

u2 Spit Venom: 14d6 Flash (70 Active Points), Restrainable (-1/2), OIHID (-1/4),

Limited Range (15”; -1/4), Not vs. LS: Immunity to Ophidotoxins (-1/4), Target’s

Eyes Must Be Exposed (-1/2), Not vs. Desolidified Targets (-1/4), 16 Charges (-0),

Shares Charges with Divine Venom Slot (-1/4), Full Phase (-1/2), Not in

Consecrated Areas (-1/4) (17 Real Cost) END Cost: 0

u2 Nowhere to Hide: Desolidification, Variable Special Effects (Any Special Effect;

+1/2), Costs END Only to Activate (+1/4) (70 Active Points), OIHID (-1/4), Full

Phase (-1/2), Does Not Protect Against Damage (-1), Not in Consecrated

Areas (-1/4) (23 Real Cost) END Cost: 6

u2 Hunter-Seeker: 12d6 Mind Scan plus +5 to ECV (70 Active Points), OIHID

(-1/4), Full Phase (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Cannot

Attack Through Link (-1), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4) (22 Real Cost)

END Cost: 7

u3 Doom Aura: 2d6 PRE and EGO Drain, Two Characteristics Simultaneously (+1/2),

Area Effect (4” Radius; +1 ¼), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Points Return at the

Rate of 5 Per Minute (+1/4) (65 Active Points), OIHID (-1/4), Full Phase (-1/2),

Mental Defense Applies (-1/2), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4) (26 Real Cost)

END Cost: 6

u2 Petrify: 3d6 2 DEF Entangle, Based on EGO, not STR (+1/4), Based on Ego

Combat Value (+1), Takes No Damage From Attacks (All Attacks; +1/2)

(69 Active Points), OIHID (-1/4), Full Phase (-1/2), Eye Contact Required (-1/2),

Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Mental Defense Applies (-1/2), Not in

Consecrated Areas (-1/4) (21 Real Cost) END Cost: 7

u1 Hidden Goddess: Invisibility to Sight Sense Group, Costs END Only to Activate

(+1/4) (25 Active Points), OIHID (-1/4), Full Phase (-1/2), Only When Not

Attacking (-1/2), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4) (10 Real Cost) END Cost: 2

u2 I Know Your Dark Secrets: 14d6 Telepathy (70 Active Points), Not in Consecrated

Areas (-1/4), OIHID (-1/4), Full Phase (-1/2), Only To Learn Misdeeds (-1) (23 Real Cost)

END Cost: 7

u1 Smell Guilt: Detect Guilt (One Thing, Discriminatory, Tracking, Ranged) (20 Active

Points), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4), Full Phase (-1/2), OIHID (-1/4),

Flashed as Smell/Taste Sense Group as Well As Mental Group (-1/2) (8 Real Cost)

Cost Perks and Talents

3 Reputation: Alecto, One of the Furies (3d6/+3, Small Group, 14-)

Martial Arts

5 Offensive Strike 10d6/13d6 Strike

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Dodge

3 Martial Grab 40 STR/55 STR to Grab

4 Martial Escape 45 STR/60 STR vs. Grabs

12 +3 Damage Classes (Already Added In)

Cost Skills

0 Everyman Skills

-------------------------------------

AK: Olympus 11-

Acting 8-

Climbing 8-

Concealment 8-

Conversation 8-

Deduction 8-

PS: Goddess of Punishment 11-

Paramedics 8-

Persuasion 8-

Shadowing 8-

Stealth 8-

TF: Equines

-----------------------------

6 +2 with Martial Arts

2 KS: Ancient Greece 11-

2 KS: The Olympic Pantheon 11-

2 KS: Greek “Myths” 11-

3 Breakfall 13-/14-

3 Interrogation 12-/14-

3 Stealth 13-/14-

3 Shadowing 12-

3 Tracking 12-

3 Concealment 12-

2 AK: Tartarus 11-

Total Cost = 350

Origins

Alice and her friends stared at Big Red. Not a large man - he was named for his big red guitar - he looked even smaller now, bruised, bleeding from a split lip, and crumpled up in the alley. His instrument lay nearby, obviously beyond repair.

Big Red was also a storyteller, but this one was quickly told. When two men tried to take his money and he resisted, they broke his guitar. He went a little crazy then, and hurt the big one - Big Red was no pushover - but there were two, and they were tough. "I'm going to get them for what they did to my guitar," Big Red said, the money already forgotten. "Can you help me find them?"

I AM CALLED

The words came from some place deep inside Alice, and she did not question them. She knew exactly which way the two muggers went - she could smell it. "This way" she said, and was off, ignoring the questions of her friends and even of Big Red, who was limping but somehow managed to keep up.

The two men matched the description - "a burly white guy and a skinny black guy who was wearing shades until I broke them" - but that was irrelevant. Alice looked inside them and saw the deed they had done, heard their minds full of curses for the man who had hurt them, as if they had not created their own pain in choosing to steal. And then the fear, as they saw their victim, Alice, and a handful of other ragged friends of the popular street musician; and they fled.

Alice neither hurried nor slackened pace, nor hesitated as she followed the trail around a corner and down an alley.

"How do you know they came this way?"

"This way they came" she answered.

"What's she saying?" "How should I know?"

English, she reminded herself, local tongue is English, and repeated her words. Out the alley, across a street - a horn and squeeling brakes as the single car passing this way at this time of night stopped to let her pass, the rest hurrying to keep up now - down another alley, graceful and steady as those following stumbled and cursed the dark, around a corner, down a set of stairs to a basement apartment with a very sturdy looking door. It was locked.

Alice was vaguely aware now of knowing a lot of languages, and also that some words - like "barrier" and "obstacle" - she had only learned recently. Right now they didn't seem to mean anything. When the knob did not open the door, She merely slapped it off its hinges with Her open palm.

The two were chattering still about their close call when the door exploded inward. The big man grabbed a baseball bat but quickly put a sofa between himself and the intruder; the smaller had a knife out. They had not used weapons when they shook down Big Red, but they wanted weapons now.

The little guy was no coward, and his knife thrust was quick and vicious. Alice sidestepped, seizing his wrist and arm and pushing him in the direction he was already moving, as Big Red leapt out of the way. The thug slammed into the wall, losing his weapon, then was simply picked up and thrown at the other man. Both went down in a tangle of limbs.

Vaulting over the couch, Alice hauled the two men up and pushed them against the wall, holding them there. Out of the corners of her eyes She saw snakes, hissing, writhing, threatening her captives, but that was natural wasn't it?

When sure She had her attention, She spoke again.

"You will buy him a new guitar. You will pay back everything you took from him. You will pay for him to see a.." She searched for the word "Doctor and be treated for the injuries you inflicted. Do you know why you will do these things?"

They were too petrified to speak.

"Because if you don't I will hurt you. If I hurt you and you still refuse, you will answer...for everything...."

For a long moment she stared at them...remembering with them.

"From mugging Blind Dave last week, back to that first drug deal when YOU were fourteen, and to that girl when YOU were sixteen - you never even knew her name did you? I see, left town before it hit the papers...the" Again a pause for the word "The police will know everything. Because you'll tell them. You'll BEG to tell them."

She let them drop, and turned. The others had fled but Big Red stared. "What happenned to you? Alice?"

"Alice....that is not quite right..." she remembered waking up on the street, no memory, not even of how to speak...although that came back quickly...Who was she? not Alice....but that was close....

"Alecto? Is that my name?"

The two thugs left town the next day. But not before buying a guitar - and giving Big Red everything they could scrape together except bus fare. "Just please don't send that Snake Lady after us again!"

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wryly remarks that Lucius ought to expend this much creativity on his OWN characters.

I don't see how being a member of the Olympian Pantheon could be a Social Limitation.. Could be a big Rivalry, with all the Gods jockeying around.. Could be Unluck, getting stuck in plots and such..

Joe on the Street: " Hey, theres Fury! G-Dammed Greek Gods are destroying what America stands for!"

Could be I'm missing something, tho..

_CraterMaker

What you're missing is that "Social Limitation" does not necessarily mean "Persecuted minority" or something like that.

It can be "Subject to Orders." That's not necessarily a Psychological Limitation; A soldier may in fact not feel any sense of duty to his superiors or any commitment to behave according to regulations. But his activities are likely to be restricted and in many cases his obedience to various orders compelled. This is true whether the general status of the military in society is "There goes one of our heroes! Thank you sir for all you do!" or "Baby-killer! Go away, you're not welcome here!"

Similarly, in a society with an aristocracy, the nobleman or other "elite" person may not be held in contempt - obviously - but is socially expected to fulfill a certain role, possibly with obligations that may be legally enforced.

In short, "Social Limitation" is a much broader category of disadvantage than you seem to be thinking, if I understand you.

Lucius Alexander

Stupid dirty palindromedaries, coming in and spoling everything we stand for....

What you're missing is that "Social Limitation" does not necessarily mean "Persecuted minority" or something like that.

It can be "Subject to Orders." That's not necessarily a Psychological Limitation; A soldier may in fact not feel any sense of duty to his superiors or any commitment to behave according to regulations. But his activities are likely to be restricted and in many cases his obedience to various orders compelled. This is true whether the general status of the military in society is "There goes one of our heroes! Thank you sir for all you do!" or "Baby-killer! Go away, you're not welcome here!"

Similarly, in a society with an aristocracy, the nobleman or other "elite" person may not be held in contempt - obviously - but is socially expected to fulfill a certain role, possibly with obligations that may be legally enforced.

In short, "Social Limitation" is a much broader category of disadvantage than you seem to be thinking, if I understand you.

Lucius Alexander

Stupid dirty palindromedaries, coming in and spoling everything we stand for....

Right, I had the idea that the SL would entail being expected to cowtow (kowtow?) to the supreme deities of the Pantheon (Zeus, Hera, Athena etc.), fulfill the role of God of Whatever and so forth.

I really like the Alice/Alecto name switch but. I think I'll use that if you don't mind.

(Why did I buy Martial Escape if I can go Desolid. Hmmm--three more points, here I come!)

cowtow (kowtow?)

Kowtow.

It's from the Chinese word kòutóu (kòu to knock + tóu head).

:To show obsequious deferrence.

Cowtow.

It's from the Enlgish words cow (a bovine) and tow (from tougan (Old English) to draw or lead).

:To lead cattle - a frequent occurance in electoral politics.

I say no more.

That was excellent Lucius. I think I'm going to swipe and use it. ;)

I can't complain. I think I may swipe your character and use it as a basis for My own version. ;)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary considers flavor quotes:

"Your weapons cannot harm Me. I am covered in the Scales of Justice. Well may you groan, mortal! That is only the beginning of the PUNishment!"

Nah.....doesn't taste right.

"You smell of blood as well as of avarice, villain. The whole world knows you have stolen. Who have you killed? I will find out. You will answer for that too."

That might work....

I can't complain. I think I may swipe your character and use it as a basis for My own version. ;)

Lucius Alexander

I'll sue! I'll sue! :)

I'll sue! I'll sue! :)

Life Support: Diplomatic Immunity

Lucius Alexander

Protecting the palindromedary against all terrestrial lawsuits and prosecution

Subject to your GMs whim there is no good reason that skills that are bought because they make sense, but are going to have little or no campaign impact should not be bought with a limitation, possibly a quite sizeable one:

20 points of general Ancient Greek skills, languages and such -2 CONDITIONAL POWER (only relevant in ancient Greece) (7 real points)

There is a downside to buying Skills with Limitations. They become a Power, and loose any benefit (or penalty) due to a Stat.

I.e., Lockpicking (3 Active Points) - OAF(1) gives a roll of 9- regardless of the charcter's DEX.

u1 Smell Guilt: Detect Guilt (One Thing' date=' Discriminatory, Tracking, Ranged) (20 Active[/size']

Points), Not in Consecrated Areas (-1/4), Full Phase (-1/2), OIHID (-1/4),

Flashed as Smell/Taste Sense Group as Well As Mental Group (-1/2) (8 Real Cost)

I'm curious. How would this work if a person has committed heinous crimes yet truly believes they are doing good? They would, in their mind, be guiltless.

There is a downside to buying Skills with Limitations. They become a Power, and loose any benefit (or penalty) due to a Stat.

I.e., Lockpicking (3 Active Points) - OAF(1) gives a roll of 9- regardless of the charcter's DEX.

Extra skill levels, Limited to only apply to the Knowledge and Language skills from Ancient Greece?

I'm curious. How would this work if a person has committed heinous crimes yet truly believes they are doing good? They would' date=' in their mind, be guiltless.[/quote']

I imagine it would work in the same way that it does in Order Of The Stick:

Guard, walking away: "You know, I don't have to debate this with you. It's the law. You'll be held until you are found guilty or set free."

Belkar: "Sweet! I'm not even the slightest bit guilty."

Guard, from offstage: "In this usage, "guilty" means that you committed the crime, not that you feel guilt."

Belkar: "Oh. Never mind, then."

I'm curious. How would this work if a person has committed heinous crimes yet truly believes they are doing good? They would' date=' in their mind, be guiltless.[/quote']

I thought about that. Given what Furies were supposed to be, a better way to phrase it would probably be "Smell Infractions of the Divine Law" or something like that -- it detects objective deeds, not subjective feelings.

How'd you guys like this character anyway? I'm happier with it than I've been with any for a long time. (I'm not fishing for compliments, no matter how it appears. :) )

That's why it's a Detect, not just a Telepathy. It detects what you're guilty of. Whether YOU consider what you did a crime/sin/evil act or not doesn't necessarily have a bearing.

Lucius Alexander

Reading the palindromedary's mind, but the palindromedary is thinking illegibly again.

That's why it's a Detect' date=' not just a Telepathy. It detects what you're guilty of. Whether YOU consider what you did a crime/sin/evil act or not doesn't necessarily have a bearing.[/quote']

I don't know. To me, Detect Guilt and Detect Past Crimes might be two different things.

And back to my original point. Essentially, the GM has to decide what "higher authority" in the game decides what is a crime and what isn't. Which to me implies it has an "ubergod" status.

To take a couple of things from different eras and geographies, the modern-day Pope and an Ancient Mayan High Priest. Perhaps not the best choices to illustrate, but it's what I thought up just now. :)

Both of them would be repelled by the other's beliefs and practices. To each, the other would be guilty of terrible crimes, and at the same time, both truly believe that they are correct and guiltless.

In this case, who decides who is truly guilty and who is not, other than some uber-authority/ubergod?

Because no matter which one is truly the "right" one, it means that the other person, and his beliefs, and worshiped deities, is false.

At least that's the way it would seem to me. Sorry if I went all philosophical on everybody. :)

If you're talking about a modern pope (say, the current or last one) what exactly do you think the Mayan priest would consider him guilty of?

Not that I don't think there is anything, I'm just not thinking of it offhand.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary adds that right now Lucius isn't thinking clearly anyway. Bear with him.

I don't know. To me' date=' [i']Detect Guilt[/i] and Detect Past Crimes might be two different things.

And back to my original point. Essentially, the GM has to decide what "higher authority" in the game decides what is a crime and what isn't. Which to me implies it has an "ubergod" status.

To me, the "Detect" on the character sheet becomes a shorthand for a more detailed description in the character's background. The latter would be used to assess what does, or does not, qualify. As a GM, I'd want to be cofmortable I understand what is intended to be detected, both to ensure I'm OK with that level of "omniscience" and to run it according to the player's vision.

That's why it's a Detect, not just a Telepathy. It detects what you're guilty of. Whether YOU consider what you did a crime/sin/evil act or not doesn't necessarily have a bearing.

Lucius Alexander

Reading the palindromedary's mind, but the palindromedary is thinking illegibly again.

According to whose definition?

Different cultures define transgressions in different ways. For instance: What may be theft from a Talmudic perspective may not be theft from an American Jurisprudence perspective. Different cultures have variant philosophical perspectives, social mores, taboos, and legal codes. Detect guilt by what standard?

A universal standard? The standards of the detector? The standards of the dominant culture? The standards of the detectee? The standards of the detectee's culture? Or maybe it has analyze and discriminatory and gives you a giant compare and contrast chart leaving you more befuddled than when you began. It might then be nicknamed "I've got a headache this big!"

And, if you do use a "universal standard" (I use this term because both theologians and ethical naturalists believe such a thing exists and, depending on the religion, the dividing line between the two can be minimal) then everyone at the gaming table will need to have the same universal outlook or people will be annoyed.

According to whose definition?

Different cultures define transgressions in different ways. For instance: What may be theft from a Talmudic perspective may not be theft from an American Jurisprudence perspective. Different cultures have variant philosophical perspectives, social mores, taboos, and legal codes. Detect guilt by what standard?

A universal standard? The standards of the detector? The standards of the dominant culture? The standards of the detectee? The standards of the detectee's culture? Or maybe it has analyze and discriminatory and gives you a giant compare and contrast chart leaving you more befuddled than when you began. It might then be nicknamed "I've got a headache this big!"

And, if you do use a "universal standard" (I use this term because both theologians and ethical naturalists believe such a thing exists and, depending on the religion, the dividing line between the two can be minimal) then everyone at the gaming table will need to have the same universal outlook or people will be annoyed.

It's a comic book campaign. It detects amorphously defined Bad Stuff.

And' date=' if you do use a "universal standard" (I use this term because both theologians and ethical naturalists believe such a thing exists and, depending on the religion, the dividing line between the two can be minimal) then everyone at the gaming table will need to have the same universal outlook or people will be annoyed.[/quote']

I don't think that's strictly necessary. If you "side with" some players over others, then yes, that can disrupt the cohesion of your group. But if everyone's idea of morality is wrong, they become united in their efforts to discover what is morality and why (or who made it that way).

Maybe they are immoral; heck of a WWYCD scenario? ;)