What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Re: What Have You Watched Recently?

I just returned to a personal favorite -- Azumanga Daioh, probably on reflection my very favorite anime series. No overweening plotline or extravagant action is to be had here. What is to be had is a celebration of life and youth. "Ordinary" high school life as viewed from the perspective of six girls who are anything but ordinary. The episode I watched tonight was told entirely from the point of view of Chiyo, an eleven-year old prodigy attending (and excelling in) high school, and is in large part about how she balances childhood and life as a high school student. IT is also about how she relates to her friends -- quiet and statuesque Sakaki, boisterous Tomo and her serious friend Yomi, and the different-thinking girl known to most as "Osaka" (so called because that's where she came from -- nobody uses her real name anymore). Funny, true and frequently moving.

I'll admit I never could get into the Azumanga Daioh anime, but loved the manga. I don't care if it's about 6 teenaged girls in Japanese high school... I could easily recognize elements of my own high school experiences in there.

Oh, and saw episode 3 of Legend of Korra.

I'll admit I never could get into the Azumanga Daioh anime, but loved the manga. I don't care if it's about 6 teenaged girls in Japanese high school... I could easily recognize elements of my own high school experiences in there.

Oh, and saw episode 3 of Legend of Korra.

I haven't seen any of that series yet. How is it?

I haven't seen any of that series yet. How is it?

Korra takes the world of Avatar (the Last Airbender) and pushes it into a 1920-30s styled pulp setting. So you have cars, radio, basic television, bending tournaments, Triads, monks, martial arts.... basically an RPG screaming to happen. So far, it's been pretty damn cool.

Korra takes the world of Avatar (the Last Airbender) and pushes it into a 1920-30s styled pulp setting. So you have cars' date=' radio, basic television, bending tournaments, Triads, monks, martial arts.... basically an RPG screaming to happen. So far, it's been pretty damn cool.[/quote']

agreed